Columbia Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Why did you choose Columbia?

16%
Prestige/ranking
39%
Job prospects
24%
Professors and academics
6%
$$ The big fat Hamilton I got $$
16%

Total votes: 122

White Dwarf

Bronze

Re: Columbia Class of 2018

Post by White Dwarf » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:49 am

Unlike the 1Ls, these freshmen look every bit as gawky and dorky as I expected.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:20 pm

White Dwarf wrote:Unlike the 1Ls, these freshmen look every bit as gawky and dorky as I expected.
Lulz. That was me though back in the day, so can't laugh at them too much..

Also, TLS meetup, maybe after Legal Methods ends? Or do we want to stay anonymous?

SufficientCondish

New

Post by SufficientCondish » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:27 pm

Hey Columbia!

I'm a 1L at Georgetown and we have a new professor who taught (I believe) Con Law in 2014 and 2015. Professor Yvonne Tew. I was wondering if anybody would be so kind to check the outline/exam bank to see if any students had posted an old outline from her class.

Thanks!

P.S. I've seen people post this kind of stuff on Georgetown's page, but, if for some reason this is frowned upon / a violation of some law, lemme know. Law school has me paranoid now.

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:50 pm

The main outline bank here is garbage. Most are from 5-10+ years ago, and the more recent ones are crummy.

I'm going to try to resurrect the 2018 thread. Seeing as how we're roughly at the half-way point: How are things going for you all so far?

Contracts (Kraus) - heard a lot of bad things about Kraus, but I actually love this class. The reading is very light. Just about everyone had a rough moment or two during their cold-call, so it's not really that intimidating at this point. It's also nice to get your cold-call out of the way, and then have 4 or 5 weeks where there is no pressure. We are way behind on the syllabus, but it's not like you can't get most of the important stuff from the readings. If anything, him covering a case makes the point seem less clear at times.

Torts (Ben-Asher) - Hate the schedule (10-12 on RF). Hate the way she does cold-calls. Certain sections of the room (ie. mine) get brutalized, while others go two or three weeks without being called on. It's really messing with my studying. I feel like I have to absorb all the pointless details just so I can get through the inevitable cold-call. The book/material is interesting, though. And outside of some aspects of proximate cause, I don't think it's a challenging subject.

Civ Pro (Genty) - I really like Genty as a person, but class is usually a waste of time. He made participation part of our grades, so we have to suffer through endless questions and comments, most of which are pointless. All we seem to talk about are the social ramifications of decisions and rules, and while that's great, there is a limit.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:42 am

+1 for main outline bank being garbage. i joined an org just to get my hands on some decent outlines.

also, does anyone find the gym completely shit? it's always crowded and i always get kicked out for the stupid PE class that they seem to have in the weight room all day everyday.

a lot of your complaints about civ pro are basically my complaints. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that nobody knows how to teach civ pro as a subject. Also, the participation BS is the same across all classes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:00 pm

I feel like my professors are mostly okay and I don't have anyone that gunnerish in my classes (even though I keep hearing from 2Ls about the horrors of gunners), or at least no one that's really stood out for raising their hand a lot.

Wait, shit, does that means I'm the gunner?

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Mon Oct 19, 2015 4:32 pm

We don't really have a section gunner either, though there are a couple people who are teetering on the line. The worst we have are those students who raise their hands just to pat themselves on the back for noticing some irrelevant detail that nobody else cares about. That doesn't happen too often though.

Agree on the gym. If you get there right at 6am, you can usually get most of your workout done before it picks up. But it's hard to do that consistently, what with sleep and all.

jrc223

Bronze

Post by jrc223 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:01 am

anyone else kind of disappointed with the schedule for finals? part of me feels like i should be grateful for the amount of time they have given us to study, but a bigger part of me doesn't want the experience dragged out for three weeks

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:08 pm

jrc223 wrote:anyone else kind of disappointed with the schedule for finals? part of me feels like i should be grateful for the amount of time they have given us to study, but a bigger part of me doesn't want the experience dragged out for three weeks
I'm definitely happy trading a few days of break for a few extra days studying CivPro

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:48 pm

any of you guys massmail on dec 1 for firms?

stoopkid13

Bronze

Post by stoopkid13 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:19 am

Not for firms, but for judicial internships. Thank god for mail merge yo.

mynameiskevin

New

Post by mynameiskevin » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:44 pm

Hey guys,
Hope you guys are surviving 1L at Columbia.
I'm a recent admit to this school, and extremely worried about my housing options, since I probably won't be in NYC to see the rooms in person.
So do you guys have any general tips on the rents,location, etc.??

Thank you very much in advance!

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:02 am

mynameiskevin wrote:Hey guys,
Hope you guys are surviving 1L at Columbia.
I'm a recent admit to this school, and extremely worried about my housing options, since I probably won't be in NYC to see the rooms in person.
So do you guys have any general tips on the rents,location, etc.??

Thank you very much in advance!
If you're willing to dig back through the Columbia "Ask a Law Student" thread, there's a ton of housing talk and you can also ask some more specific questions there if you have any: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... start=3000

The short answer to your question is that there's no reason to be extremely worried. A huge percentage of 1Ls, especially those new to NYC, use Columbia UAH or Law School housing (more info here: http://web.law.columbia.edu/students/st ... ng/housing). Pretty much everyone I know is happy with their housing situation - both the size of their place, location, and rent price in comparison to market rates. Keep in mind that this still is New York City though, so you're going to be paying more in rent than you would in Durham or New Haven

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:22 pm

I don't think I'm allowed to go into any detail, but did anyone else find that Ben-Asher exam more difficult than her practice exams? First question in particular, but I also had trouble finding something non-stupid to say about the last one. Didn't help that Examsoft made me write in gigantic font on a tiny screen and wouldn't let me zoom out.

Going in, I was far more worried about the curve than the test.

GoneSouth

Bronze

Post by GoneSouth » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:44 pm

White Dwarf wrote:I don't think I'm allowed to go into any detail, but did anyone else find that Ben-Asher exam more difficult than her practice exams? First question in particular, but I also had trouble finding something non-stupid to say about the last one. Didn't help that Examsoft made me write in gigantic font on a tiny screen and wouldn't let me zoom out.

Going in, I was far more worried about the curve than the test.
I didn't necessarily think it was easier or harder, but it was definitely different than the practice exams. I guess that's somewhat to be expected though given that two of the three practice exams were written for Pace students

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:37 pm

I didn't put much stock in the two Pace ones (so much for all schools giving the same level of legal education), but I thought the Harvard test would be on point.

But you're right. I was expecting two straightforward write-til-you-drop issue-spotters, and the curveball on the first one caught me off guard (at least I hope it was meant to be a curveball). The fact that several major topics weren't covered at all threw me a bit as well. I think I got all the pertinent issues, but who can say. A straight B wouldn't be the end of the world anyway.

RSN

Silver

Post by RSN » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:57 pm

Finally grades... got 2 and now jonesing to see my last one so I know what the whole picture looks like, but wouldn't be surprised if the professor totally blows the deadline tomorrow

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jrc223

Bronze

Post by jrc223 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:20 pm

Stuck at 1 grade forever

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:57 pm

Got one last Monday, and I've been checking 15-20 times a day since. Still nothing.

My Torts final was on 12/9, and I'm still waiting.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:01 pm

White Dwarf wrote:Got one last Monday, and I've been checking 15-20 times a day since. Still nothing.

My Torts final was on 12/9, and I'm still waiting.

I feel you bro. My torts final had a really short word limit too.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:03 pm

At least one section already has all the grades back
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jrc223

Bronze

Post by jrc223 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:10 pm

haven't even gotten my small section's grade back. prof is grading at a rate of less than one test per day

stoopkid13

Bronze

Post by stoopkid13 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:57 pm

Well, at least i know i passed LR...

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:17 pm

Is there a set time of day when grades are posted, or will they randomly trickle in?

jrc223

Bronze

Post by jrc223 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:21 pm

I think the ask-a-student thread said that grades have been posted in both the morning and afternoon, but so far all of my grades have been posted between 11 a.m. - 12 p.m.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”