NYU c/o 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How much money did NYU offer you?

Named Scholly
10%
Full Ride (non named award)
1%
120-full
1%
100-119
4%
75-99
20%
50-74
20%
25-49
18%
0-24
1%
None or was not considered
12%
No notification yet
14%

Total votes: 132

AOT

Re: NYU c/o 2018

Postby AOT » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:18 pm

I read that people received dings for RTK last year in the admits thread

mac665

Postby mac665 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:30 am

Hey guys,

Just admitted! I'm thinking about registering for the admitted student days but am working both days...what are the advantages of going to the days? Should I make it a priority or just schedule a tour on a day that's more convenient?

C

Skool

Postby Skool » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:37 am

I read in an admitted students thread from a couple of years ago that Bryan Stevenson gave a talk re PI a few years back. Student organizations host various dinners/lunches/receptions to let 0Ls know ways they can get involved.

People begin to establish relationships with classmates/teachers/colleagues. I'm not particularly interested in being awed by dumb buildings, but I think the opportunity to meet people in a structured way is helpful (especially at a school as big as NYU).

I guess how much its worth it depends on how likely you are to go to NYU.

tk17

Postby tk17 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:24 pm

Just in case others are anxiously waiting for some sort of RTK news, I just went back through last years admitted students thread and the initial major wave of RTK invites went out on Tuesday March 4th and Thursday March 6th. The c/o 2018 cycle equivalent to that is next Tuesday the 3rd. As alloverthat mentioned, there were also ding emails that went out to unsuccessful applicants on the same day.

I'm going to (pretend to) stop obsessively staring at my phone until late afternoon next Tuesday.

Skool

Postby Skool » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:26 pm

Thanks for the info

w0w

Postby w0w » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:41 pm

tk17 wrote:Just in case others are anxiously waiting for some sort of RTK news, I just went back through last years admitted students thread and the initial major wave of RTK invites went out on Tuesday March 4th and Thursday March 6th. The c/o 2018 cycle equivalent to that is next Tuesday the 3rd. As alloverthat mentioned, there were also ding emails that went out to unsuccessful applicants on the same day.

I'm going to (pretend to) stop obsessively staring at my phone until late afternoon next Tuesday.

Ahh, good to know! I wonder why they wait so long when you basically have like three weeks to schedule your trip to interview. They do some kind of travel assistance, correct?

slurpy

Postby slurpy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:30 pm

tk17 wrote:Just in case others are anxiously waiting for some sort of RTK news, I just went back through last years admitted students thread and the initial major wave of RTK invites went out on Tuesday March 4th and Thursday March 6th. The c/o 2018 cycle equivalent to that is next Tuesday the 3rd. As alloverthat mentioned, there were also ding emails that went out to unsuccessful applicants on the same day.

Thanks for this! Did you notice whether, in last year's thread, there was also a small wave in early Feb, similar to the three reported invitations here? Kind of weird that they would send out a few of them and then wait two weeks to do the rest.

ETA: w0w, they offer $500 for travel.

AOT

Postby AOT » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:33 pm

slurpy wrote:

Thanks for this! Did you notice whether, in last year's thread, there was also a small wave in early Feb, similar to the three reported invitations here? Kind of weird that they would send out a few of them and then wait two weeks to do the rest.

I feel like that first wave might have been the first big wave, and the process is happening a bit earlier this year

AOT

Postby AOT » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:37 pm

Also just went to the DC NYU lunch thing. Glad I went, although I had to duck out early because it went on for ages.

Dean talked quite a bit about how the conditions of your LRAP will stay the same as they were the year you enrolled, which should hopefully make those of us who are looking to do PI feel a little better.

Skool

Postby Skool » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:39 pm

alloverthat wrote:Also just went to the DC NYU lunch thing. Glad I went, although I had to duck out early because it went on for ages.

Dean talked quite a bit about how the conditions of your LRAP will stay the same as they were the year you enrolled, which should hopefully make those of us who are looking to do PI feel a little better.
The year you enrolled in Law School or the year you enrolled in LRAP?

AOT

Postby AOT » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:41 pm

Skool wrote:
alloverthat wrote:Also just went to the DC NYU lunch thing. Glad I went, although I had to duck out early because it went on for ages.

The year you enrolled in Law School or the year you enrolled in LRAP?

The year you enrolled in law school

Skool

Postby Skool » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:49 pm

That's nice of them to say, and I really like Kleinrock, but I'm too paranoid/suspicious/risk averse to be comforted by mere words. Hopefully there will be some kind of action and publication from the entire school that confirms this understanding .

Edit: or was it Morrison? That would be a step up and more comforting but still not quite a solid guarantee of future support .

tk17

Postby tk17 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:53 pm

alloverthat wrote:
slurpy wrote:

I feel like that first wave might have been the first big wave, and the process is happening a bit earlier this year

I'm looking for reasons to not believe this (relatively small wave, radio silence for the past two weeks, no accompanying dings, etc.), but there's a good chance you're right.

tk17

Postby tk17 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:55 pm

How does this work if the conditions of LRAP depend on the current iteration of IBR and PSLF and then those two programs are changed or capped?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:01 pm

I couldn't make it :cry:

AOT

Postby AOT » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:34 pm

Skool wrote:That's nice of them to say, and I really like Kleinrock, but I'm too paranoid/suspicious/risk averse to be comforted by mere words. Hopefully there will be some kind of action and publication from the entire school that confirms this understanding .

Edit: or was it Morrison? That would be a step up and more comforting but still not quite a solid guarantee of future support .

It was Morrison. He was very adamant about this fact, but you might be right and I'm just too trusting.

I'm really looking for any reason I can find to pick NYU. Just terrified by that huge COL.

I also keep reading stuff about the LRAP and interest and taxes and have nooo clue what they're on about. So no idea how this promise would work in practice.

tk17

Postby tk17 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:44 pm

alloverthat wrote:I also keep reading stuff about the LRAP and interest and taxes and have nooo clue what they're on about. So no idea how this promise would work in practice.

The main thing that worries me is that the NYU LRAP works by covering your loan commitment for 10 years, during which you have to be enrolled in Income Based Repayment and after which your remaining debt is forgiven through the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program (aside: If your debt is forgiven through PSLF, you don't have to worry about the tax bomb).

This is why the (now old) proposal to cap PSLF at ~$57K is so worrying. For some public interest careers, paying IBR at 10 years will you leave with with more debt than you started. If that debt can no longer be forgiven (or if only $57K of it can be forgiven), then what the heck are you (and NYU) going to do about that other $200K??

I think that they will have to go back to the prior version of LRAP (before PSLF), which I haven't looked into as much but which I believe to be less generous. But unless NYU is willing to pay off massive amounts of debt for their public service alumni, I don't see how they can promise their LRAP will stay the same if PSLF goes away or gets capped.

I wish they would just give me the RTK so I could stop worrying about this $%&#....

tonysoprano

Postby tonysoprano » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:03 pm

Not sure if this is too soon to post this, but I definitely haven't seen any mention of it yet in the thread... Anyone know how to go about appealing scholarship decisions?

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Thu Feb 26, 2015 12:59 pm

Recent changes in personal circumstances mean that I'm nearly 100% NYU in the fall. Fingers seriously crossed for the Furman.

mustapha_mond

Postby mustapha_mond » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:52 pm

What are people thinking for housing? Is on campus the way to go if you're trying to make connections?

I live in the East Village and can't justify the prices NYU charges just to be a few blocks farther west. Anyone interested in getting an apartment? PM me!

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:17 am

mustapha_mond wrote:What are people thinking for housing? Is on campus the way to go if you're trying to make connections?

I live in the East Village and can't justify the prices NYU charges just to be a few blocks farther west. Anyone interested in getting an apartment? PM me!

I found a few 1BRs near the law school for about the same as campus housing (<$1,900).

As for me I'm looking at the Upper West Side. Somewhere close to Broadway (bus runs down Broadway directly to the school) or Central Park West (seems the B & C trains run directly to/near the school).

From what I've gathered in other NYU threads, many 1Ls, perhaps the majority, live off campus. So unlike some other schools, say UVA, you don't need to live immediately adjacent to the school to still be a part of the community.

I'm also very curious if NYU negotiates scholarships with admits with named scholarships at lower-ranked T14s. But I doubt any of us will know -- just conjecture.

tk17

Postby tk17 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:27 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
mustapha_mond wrote:What are people thinking for housing? Is on campus the way to go if you're trying to make connections?

I found a few 1BRs near the law school for about the same as campus housing (<$1,900).

As for me I'm looking at the Upper West Side. Somewhere close to Broadway (bus runs down Broadway directly to the school) or Central Park West (seems the B & C trains run directly to/near the school).

From what I've gathered in other NYU threads, many 1Ls, perhaps the majority, live off campus. So unlike some other schools, say UVA, you don't need to live immediately adjacent to the school to still be a part of the community.

I'm also very curious if NYU negotiates scholarships with admits with named scholarships at lower-ranked T14s. But I doubt any of us will know -- just conjecture.

Avoid depending on buses if you can. They are slow. Very. Slow. The West 4th stop (B/D/F/M/A/C/E) is less than 5 minutes from the Law School, and the 8th Street/NYU (N/R) and Astor Place (6) stations are also really close. If you're into biking, it's easy to get to NYU from just about anywhere AND it's $5 (soon to be $5.50) in your pocket every time you don't take the train.

NYU says 2/3 of 1Ls live in campus housing, but I agree that you don't need to do so to be part of the community. I've talked to a few students who say that living off campus and the built in separation from law school has been great for their sanity. I'm living in Brooklyn, and if I'm not hit with a massive rent increase, I'm not planning on moving (if I end up at NYU).

tk17

Postby tk17 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:30 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:I'm also very curious if NYU negotiates scholarships with admits with named scholarships at lower-ranked T14s. But I doubt any of us will know -- just conjecture.

I remember reading somewhere that NYU can be kinda stingy with scholarship negotiation. I think someone said in the c/o 2017 thread that they have a narrow definition of their "peer schools." Money from Columbia is probably good leverage, as is a T3 acceptance, but I think it might be tricky otherwise. This is all based on a vague memory of something I read elsewhere on TLS, so it's "truthiness" is questionable at best.

AOT

Postby AOT » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:45 am

tk17 wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:

Avoid depending on buses if you can. They are slow. Very. Slow. The West 4th stop (B/D/F/M/A/C/E) is less than 5 minutes from the Law School, and the 8th Street/NYU (N/R) and Astor Place (6) stations are also really close. If you're into biking, it's easy to get to NYU from just about anywhere AND it's $5 (soon to be $5.50) in your pocket every time you don't take the train.

NYU says 2/3 of 1Ls live in campus housing, but I agree that you don't need to do so to be part of the community. I've talked to a few students who say that living off campus and the built in separation from law school has been great for their sanity. I'm living in Brooklyn, and if I'm not hit with a massive rent increase, I'm not planning on moving (if I end up at NYU).

Do you currently bike from Brooklyn to Manhattan? I'd be looking at doing that too. I've mainly lived in cities/towns with fairly good biking infrastructures though and am worried about safety

tk17

Postby tk17 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:03 pm

alloverthat wrote:Do you currently bike from Brooklyn to Manhattan? I'd be looking at doing that too. I've mainly lived in cities/towns with fairly good biking infrastructures though and am worried about safety

Define "currently." It's %$&#*!$ cold right now. :D

But yes. I bike from Brooklyn to midtown most dry days warmer than freezing. The biking infrastructure here is pretty solid. Bloomberg might have ignored the poor, but his time as mayor was great for the middle/upper-middle class. He put a lot of money into the parks system and added a TON of bike lanes. I'd say 95% of my ~7 mile ride is on streets with dedicated bike lanes (with more than 50% of it on separated bike lanes). Every bridge that I can think of has a separated bike lane. If you're not an a$$hole, it's pretty safe.

That's not to say I haven't had a time or two where I got a little closer to disaster than I liked. And as a cyclist you will come to hate cars and pedestrians (who often see bike lanes as extended sidewalks), and they will hate you in return. One of my constant struggles is trying to hold myself above the anger when I'm biking. It's so easy to get angry at pedestrians who jaywalk without looking or who walk three abreast down the bike lane facing away from traffic. It's easy to get angry at cars who make sudden left turns across the bike lane directly in front of you. There is a certain catharsis that comes with cursing a person for their stupidity, but it doesn't solve anything.

If your alert and reasonably cautious (i.e. you only run red lights after you slow down to make sure that there are no cars and no pedestrians coming [aside: seems like such a low bar, huh? It's amazing how frequently bikers fail to meet this]), you should be fine.

I love moving through the city on my bike, and like I said, it's extra money in my pocket every time.

ETA: If you're planning a commute from Brooklyn, try to find one that goes over the Manhattan Bridge. Don't ride over the Brooklyn bridge if you can help it. It, along with 6th and 8th avenues between 34th and 50th, are the absolute worst places to be on a bike. So many oblivious people getting in your way.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”