NYU c/o 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

How much money did NYU offer you?

Named Scholly
10%
Full Ride (non named award)
1%
120-full
1%
100-119
4%
75-99
19%
50-74
20%
25-49
18%
0-24
1%
None or was not considered
12%
No notification yet
15%

Total votes: 136

ChemEng1642

Silver

Re: NYU c/o 2018

Post by ChemEng1642 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:24 am

Are most people waiting for W2s to come out to fill out need access/FAFSA?

tk17

Bronze

Post by tk17 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:09 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:Are most people waiting for W2s to come out to fill out need access/FAFSA?
I am. And am I getting a little bitter at my employer for not having it ready for me on January 1? Maybe.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:22 pm

tk17 wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:Are most people waiting for W2s to come out to fill out need access/FAFSA?
I am. And am I getting a little bitter at my employer for not having it ready for me on January 1? Maybe.
Lol I'm waiting too - though I doubt I'll have it until the deadline of January 31st...

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:50 pm

tk17 wrote:
I waited for my W-2 for like… a week? Then I emailed my HR department (though I left in December, so maybe that made this simpler) and told them I was applying for financial aid and asked when they would be sending it. They actually sent me an electronic copy.

tk17

Bronze

Post by tk17 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:01 pm

middlebear wrote:
tk17 wrote:
I waited for my W-2 for like… a week? Then I emailed my HR department (though I left in December, so maybe that made this simpler) and told them I was applying for financial aid and asked when they would be sending it. They actually sent me an electronic copy.
This sounds lovely, but I'm not planning on telling my organization that I'm leaving for law school for a while yet. Hopefully I get it in a week or so.

Also, my wife worked at 3 or 4 different places last year while she was in school, so waiting for w2s from all of them will likely be the limiting factor.

I might go merit-only at NYU, I don't want to ask my parents for their financial information (and they're not going to be contributing anything to my legal education), and because my wife and I were both working all last year, I imagine my expected contribution will be high enough to price me out of any need-based aid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Beanie14

New

Post by Beanie14 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:51 pm

tk17 wrote: I might go merit-only at NYU, I don't want to ask my parents for their financial information (and they're not going to be contributing anything to my legal education), and because my wife and I were both working all last year, I imagine my expected contribution will be high enough to price me out of any need-based aid.
So I know that there was a lot of talk last year about how it could be beneficial to go merit-only, but it seems like they might have changed their policy this year to require anyone who wants merit aid to apply for need-based as well.

tk17

Bronze

Post by tk17 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:02 pm

Beanie14 wrote:So I know that there was a lot of talk last year about how it could be beneficial to go merit-only, but it seems like they might have changed their policy this year to require anyone who wants merit aid to apply for need-based as well.
I received an email from the NYU financial aid office, which included this:
NYU FinAid wrote: If you only want to be considered for NYU School of Law merit based aid and will not be completing the Need Access financial aid application, please contact our office. Students who elect not to provide parental information on the Need Access application will be considered for merit based scholarship awards only.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:09 pm

Last year you had to do need access for merit only, this year you just fill out a small form

Beanie14

New

Post by Beanie14 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:20 pm

Oh, thanks for bringing up the email. The financial aid section of the admitted students website is a little less clear about that option.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stoopkid13

Bronze

Post by stoopkid13 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:30 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Last year you had to do need access for merit only, this year you just fill out a small form
I emailed the Financial Aid office about merit-only aid and this was their response:
NYUFinaid wrote:In order to only apply for merit based financial aid, you will need to complete our institutional financial aid application. The application is available on-line at https://faaps.law.nyu.edu/studentmain.html. You will be instructed on that webpage to log in using your LSAC# or SSN (Lxxxxxxxx or xxxxxxxxx) as your username, and your birthdate (mmddyyyy) as your password. Once you are in the database, click on “My Application”, and fill in the requested information.

try.honesty

New

Post by try.honesty » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:13 pm

Beanie14 wrote:
tk17 wrote: I might go merit-only at NYU, I don't want to ask my parents for their financial information (and they're not going to be contributing anything to my legal education), and because my wife and I were both working all last year, I imagine my expected contribution will be high enough to price me out of any need-based aid.
So I know that there was a lot of talk last year about how it could be beneficial to go merit-only, but it seems like they might have changed their policy this year to require anyone who wants merit aid to apply for need-based as well.
Would you (or anyone) be able to elaborate on the potential benefits of only applying for merit? Hadn't heard this before

Thanks!!

tk17

Bronze

Post by tk17 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:22 pm

try.honesty wrote:
Beanie14 wrote:
Would you (or anyone) be able to elaborate on the potential benefits of only applying for merit? Hadn't heard this before

Thanks!!
I think any "benefits" for me are purely situation-specific. First is that I don't want to ask my parents to fill out the parental portion of need-access (I haven't relied on their support for a decade, and they'll be playing no role in me paying for law school), and NYU won't consider me for need-based aid without that information. Second, since my wife and I have both been working over the last tax year, we'll have a greater-than-zero expected individual contribution. I don't have any facts to back this up, but I'm assuming that there are enough people with $0 EICs that I'm not likely to receive need-based aid even if I do apply. There isn't a lot of need-based aid to go around. It seems to me that law schools generally act like federal loans are available as "need-based aid" and they don't need to contribute too much more.

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:23 pm

Checking in! I won't be able to make it up for an ASD, unfortunately, but NYU is the best school I've gotten into as of right now.

To echo a few others, I'm still waiting for some W-2s to roll in so I can complete FAFSA, but I'm undecided as to need-based aid. I don't think I'll get any, since my parents (who won't be financially contributing) make decent money, but I'm not sure if there's a good reason NOT to. Might as well, right?

Also: anyone else planning on living on campus as a 1L (assuming you go)?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

try.honesty

New

Post by try.honesty » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:32 pm

tk17 wrote:
try.honesty wrote:
Beanie14 wrote:

Thanks!!
I think any "benefits" for me are purely situation-specific. First is that I don't want to ask my parents to fill out the parental portion of need-access (I haven't relied on their support for a decade, and they'll be playing no role in me paying for law school), and NYU won't consider me for need-based aid without that information. Second, since my wife and I have both been working over the last tax year, we'll have a greater-than-zero expected individual contribution. I don't have any facts to back this up, but I'm assuming that there are enough people with $0 EICs that I'm not likely to receive need-based aid even if I do apply. There isn't a lot of need-based aid to go around. It seems to me that law schools generally act like federal loans are available as "need-based aid" and they don't need to contribute too much more.
Okay, that makes sense. I'm in a similar boat, and have been debating the worth of filling it out.. Thanks for your reply!

pylon

Silver

Post by pylon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:42 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:Checking in! I won't be able to make it up for an ASD, unfortunately, but NYU is the best school I've gotten into as of right now.

To echo a few others, I'm still waiting for some W-2s to roll in so I can complete FAFSA, but I'm undecided as to need-based aid. I don't think I'll get any, since my parents (who won't be financially contributing) make decent money, but I'm not sure if there's a good reason NOT to. Might as well, right?
I agree. Even if it is unlikely, I don't think it hurts to apply. Definitely a case-by-case situation though.

jawsjawsjaws

Bronze

Post by jawsjawsjaws » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:05 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:Checking in! I won't be able to make it up for an ASD, unfortunately, but NYU is the best school I've gotten into as of right now.

Me. I think there's less to deal with if you live on campus, especially with all that 1L studying.

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:12 am

jawsjawsjaws wrote:

Me. I think there's less to deal with if you live on campus, especially with all that 1L studying.
Me too (if I go)! Already researching D'Agostino and Mercer.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tk17

Bronze

Post by tk17 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:16 am

I got an invitation today for an admitted students reception in February at Cravath, Swaine & Moore.

Not sure if this was targeted to people in NYC or not. Any one else get this/planning on attending?

jemthey17

Silver

Post by jemthey17 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:24 am

tk17 wrote:I got an invitation today for an admitted students reception in February at Cravath, Swaine & Moore.

Not sure if this was targeted to people in NYC or not. Any one else get this/planning on attending?
I got this too, but I am not NYC, so probably can't go.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:32 am

jemthey17 wrote:
tk17 wrote:I got an invitation today for an admitted students reception in February at Cravath, Swaine & Moore.

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:38 am

Literally on the other side of the country.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Beanie14

New

Post by Beanie14 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:18 am

jemthey17 wrote:

pylon

Silver

Post by pylon » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:52 am

middlebear wrote:

Aha I'm on another continent. Sooooo see you there? :P

curlietop86

Bronze

Post by curlietop86 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:02 am

Last edited by curlietop86 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eladriel

Bronze

Post by Eladriel » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:44 am

middlebear wrote:

+1

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”