University of Illinois Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Which open house will you attend?

Friday, March 20
43%
Friday, April 3
27%
Undecided
No votes
Not attending an open house
30%

Total votes: 30

sprinky07

New

Re: University of Illinois Class of 2018

Post by sprinky07 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:59 pm

pcph wrote:
sprinky07 wrote:Anyone looked at housing yet?
Me and a couple others visited the Village... I personally didn't like it (it's furnished, I have all my furniture; too expensive for a one bedroom; etc) but you might. It has a shuttle that takes you right to the law school, so that's a plus!
It seems like a lot of 1Ls live there, but I haven't heard anything overly positive... close to train tracks, slow internet, basic cable, drafty windows, shuttle doesn't run on scheduled times (esp on weekends),etc.

Did you check out anywhere else?

pcph

Bronze

Post by pcph » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:14 pm

sprinky07 wrote:
pcph wrote:
sprinky07 wrote:Anyone looked at housing yet?
Me and a couple others visited the Village... I personally didn't like it (it's furnished, I have all my furniture; too expensive for a one bedroom; etc) but you might. It has a shuttle that takes you right to the law school, so that's a plus!
It seems like a lot of 1Ls live there, but I haven't heard anything overly positive... close to train tracks, slow internet, basic cable, drafty windows, shuttle doesn't run on scheduled times (esp on weekends),etc.

Did you check out anywhere else?
Yes all of those are what I heard, plus there's a dog kennel outside that's backed up against the apartments. The dogs were loud!
No I didn't visit anywhere else, it was a spur of the moment tour for me.

Wingtip88

Bronze

Post by Wingtip88 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:11 pm

I was at the 3/20 open house; the travel reimbursement form says that original receipts aren't needed for expenses related to personal vehicle. I don't suppose we're just supposed to write on how much we spent on gas driving to and from the school?

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:31 pm

Wingtip88 wrote:I was at the 3/20 open house; the travel reimbursement form says that original receipts aren't needed for expenses related to personal vehicle. I don't suppose we're just supposed to write on how much we spent on gas driving to and from the school?
They will base it on your address on the application and just figure out miles that way.

KamronK

Bronze

Post by KamronK » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:43 am

I'll probably be at The Village if I go here as long as they guarantee me a spot away from the railroad and kennel. That seems to be the biggest issue. I'll have my car if the shuttle is unreliable.

I'm worried about the internet connection though. For those who live there, is it that bad?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WichitaShocker

Bronze

Post by WichitaShocker » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:54 am

KamronK wrote:I'll probably be at The Village if I go here as long as they guarantee me a spot away from the railroad and kennel. That seems to be the biggest issue. I'll have my car if the shuttle is unreliable.

I'm worried about the internet connection though. For those who live there, is it that bad?
The village was pretty nice imo if you can stay away from the railroad tracks and the kennel. I feel like it's a good option for 2-3 roommates, but is wayyy over market price for their one bedrooms. Also a fair warning for anyone with a S/O looking for a 1 bedroom. There is an additional $150 a month rent for an extra person in a 1 bedroom, and two people in a room is only allowed in a 1 bedroom.

Wingtip88

Bronze

Post by Wingtip88 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:01 am

Anybody have any commentary as to UIUC's on campus graduate housing? Orchard Downs, Goodwin-Green, and Ashton Woods in particular? The rates for these are dirt cheap.

KamronK

Bronze

Post by KamronK » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:15 am

Yeah, Wichita, I was happy with our visit. I just want to make sure that I can get work done using their internet connection. The campus library isn't 24 hours and I probably won't want to do too much late night driving in the winter anyway. I'd also like to watch my Diamondbacks every once in a while using the Wi-Fi, but that may be too much to ask.
Last edited by KamronK on Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

thatguy12

New

Post by thatguy12 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:41 am

Anyone able to check out The Place @ 117 that's right around The Village? Didn't get a chance to stop by on my visit but it's comparable to The Village in price/location/shuttle(?). Hoping it has good internet and non-drafty windows...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TLawannabe

New

Post by TLawannabe » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:32 am

I've been looking into hunters pond and gentry square, both seem to be good picks I haven't visited yet (flying up tomorrow). Does anyone have any thoughts on them? They both have covered parking, washer/dryer included, and nice floor plans. Looking at the 1/1's.

PublicInterest2018

New

Post by PublicInterest2018 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:41 am

I also saw The Village and didn't like it. I plan to find an apartment or house nearby to hopefully share with other law/grad students.

Ms4life

New

Post by Ms4life » Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:00 pm

I was able to check out 75 armory and it was pretty nice. Heard good things about the place from 1Ls when we were out that night, and it's walking/biking distance to anything that you'll probably need. Also, has anyone made a FB page?

sprinky07

New

Post by sprinky07 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:27 pm

Ms4life wrote:I was able to check out 75 armory and it was pretty nice. Heard good things about the place from 1Ls when we were out that night, and it's walking/biking distance to anything that you'll probably need. Also, has anyone made a FB page?
I've heard good things about 75 too.

No FB page that I'm aware of. I'm definitely not tech savy enough to do it!

Random question.... Would it be possible for any current student to post a sample of their 1L schedules? Even if it's from a different section. Just kind of wondering if most classes are morning, afternoon, or an even split. Also curious as to how much free time there normally is between classes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

KamronK

Bronze

Post by KamronK » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:41 pm

75 looks great, but is it really double the price of The Village? I don't know if I want to go 4-5k more over a year just for somewhere to sleep.

vercify

New

Post by vercify » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:33 am

I've been lurking here for about 9 months now but today I accepted my offer to UIUC after a productive scholarship negotiation meeting with admissions, so I figured I might as well register and check in here!

I am currently a senior at UIUC so I can help answer questions regarding campus life and housing (I actually live across the street from 75 Armory right now). 75 Armory is brand new, its currently in its second year. IMO, it is ridiculously overpriced. A buddy of mine lived their last year and yes, it was SUPER nice inside (brand new, high quality appliances, furniture, etc.) but personally I would rather pay half of that and live in a mediocre place and save the money.

If money isn't an issue then go ahead and sign somewhere like 75 Armory or the Village, they are definitely nice places. However, if you are trying to budget then there are plenty of affordable options as you move further away from campus. I would recommend living East of First St or North of Green St. or West of Lincoln Avenue if you are looking to stay away from the undergraduate rabble while also find affordable housing options... and trust me, you want to stay far away from their noise, lol.

pcph

Bronze

Post by pcph » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:35 am

vercify wrote:I've been lurking here for about 9 months now but today I accepted my offer to UIUC after a productive scholarship negotiation meeting with admissions, so I figured I might as well register and check in here!

I am currently a senior at UIUC so I can help answer questions regarding campus life and housing (I actually live across the street from 75 Armory right now). 75 Armory is brand new, its currently in its second year. IMO, it is ridiculously overpriced. A buddy of mine lived their last year and yes, it was SUPER nice inside (brand new, high quality appliances, furniture, etc.) but personally I would rather pay half of that and live in a mediocre place and save the money.

If money isn't an issue then go ahead and sign somewhere like 75 Armory or the Village, they are definitely nice places. However, if you are trying to budget then there are plenty of affordable options as you move further away from campus. I would recommend living East of First St or North of Green St. or West of Lincoln Avenue if you are looking to stay away from the undergraduate rabble while also find affordable housing options... and trust me, you want to stay far away from their noise, lol.
Sort of related Q- do you drive your car to campus? Take the bus? How is the bus system at UIUC/Champaign/Urbana area? Is a parking pass to drive worth the money (I read its like 600$)? Anything you can tell me would be great, thanks !

Chardee_MacDennis

Bronze

Post by Chardee_MacDennis » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:42 am

pcph wrote:
vercify wrote:I've been lurking here for about 9 months now but today I accepted my offer to UIUC after a productive scholarship negotiation meeting with admissions, so I figured I might as well register and check in here!

Sort of related Q- do you drive your car to campus? Take the bus? How is the bus system at UIUC/Champaign/Urbana area? Is a parking pass to drive worth the money (I read its like 600$)? Anything you can tell me would be great, thanks !
The parking pass for E-14 is $127. It's about a 10ish minute walk from the lot to campus that's pretty terrible during the winter. There is a shuttle that's supposed to run every few minutes, but it doesn't seem very reliable.

The pass for E-15, the lot in front of the law building, is that expensive, and there's a waiting list for it. Not worth it, in my opinion.

The parking lot at Assembly Hall just off 4th St is free. It's a 5 minute walk that's much more tolerable. Plenty of students park there and manage just fine.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pcph

Bronze

Post by pcph » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:16 am

Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
pcph wrote:

The parking pass for E-14 is $127. It's about a 10ish minute walk from the lot to campus that's pretty terrible during the winter. There is a shuttle that's supposed to run every few minutes, but it doesn't seem very reliable.

The pass for E-15, the lot in front of the law building, is that expensive, and there's a waiting list for it. Not worth it, in my opinion.

The parking lot at Assembly Hall just off 4th St is free. It's a 5 minute walk that's much more tolerable. Plenty of students park there and manage just fine.
Thank you! I didn't know about the Assembly Hall parking lot.

vercify

New

Post by vercify » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:05 am

pcph wrote:
Chardee_MacDennis wrote:
pcph wrote:

Thank you! I didn't know about the Assembly Hall parking lot.
LOL, I didn't even know about the Assembly Hall lot, that is a neat find that I will definitely check into.

I personally do not drive to any of my classes on campus. This is actually the only semester I have had a car out of all 4 years here, as parking is always expensive (I lucked out and am only paying $50 a month for a spot in an adjacent alleyway to my building, but parking in my building is $75/month and parking in Champaign-owned lots or University lots will be hundreds of dollars a semester.

I was at the Law School yesterday and I walked from my Apartment (1st and Armory) in less than 10 minutes. I am a quick walker though. I personally like to walk to most of my classes, as the buses (while efficient and plentiful in routes) can get really crowded, especially in the winter and during inclement weather. Walking in the winter sucks but its not nearly as bad as everyone make sit out to be. Its Illinois everyone, just bundle up! I have never felt that walking was a big deal, but I guess that is just because I accepted the size of campus as an undergrad and just dealt with it. However, walking from where most law students will be living (i.e. The Village, or somewhere in Urbana, or Noth of Green, for example) is going to be quite far. I think the only way I would walk regularly is if I lived close to 1st St. or Locust or somewhere within the campus square. Google Maps has an excellent walk feature that will give you estimate walking distances/times that you can look into. It also syncs with our bus system! Oh, and the walk from E-14 would suck in the winter but it would be a lot better than walking all the way to the law school, and probably better than spending $600+ a semester on parking permits. Totally up to you, though.

The bus route for the 22 Illini is literally out my front door and that takes you right across the street from the law school. However, that route is more of an on-campus route and you probably will not be able to use it if you are living outside of the campus square (First St., Green St, Lincoln Ave, and Pennsylvania Ave). Actually, living in some of the Urbana areas closer Lincoln Ave can probably benefit from the 22's route. The 1 Yellow and a few other routes will go to E-14 and you can time those out via helpful apps that the bus routes sync to and try and use that to get closer to the law school. Again, check the bus option on google maps to see which routes can take you from your apartment to the law school (it will include walking distance to and from the nearest stops).

AlwaysLurking

New

Post by AlwaysLurking » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:44 pm

Hey guys, looong time lurker checking in. I'll be at the ASD tomorrow!

jerrycallo

New

Post by jerrycallo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:12 pm

Last edited by jerrycallo on Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AlwaysLurking

New

Post by AlwaysLurking » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:20 pm

jerrycallo wrote:
AlwaysLurking wrote:Hey guys, looong time lurker checking in. I'll be at the ASD tomorrow!
When do you get in? Me and iwanttolawschool are gonna try to meet up tonight

I'm just getting to town now

AlwaysLurking

New

Post by AlwaysLurking » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:33 pm

jerrycallo wrote:
AlwaysLurking wrote:Hey guys, looong time lurker checking in. I'll be at the ASD tomorrow!
When do you get in? Me and iwanttolawschool are gonna try to meet up tonight
Pm'd you both

Scruffy_the_Janitor

New

Post by Scruffy_the_Janitor » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:07 am

For everyone looking at the typical apartments companies (75th Armory, the Village, the Place, etc.) You are paying for convenience. By convenience, I mean that they have an abundance of rooms available for you to rent and provide the amenities. They may not be the best but you won't have to worry about a car or waiting at your apartment for the internet guy to come by and help you set everything up.

If you really want good deals though, please take a look at craigslist or any other realtor website. I am currently living in a 2 bedroom apartment that is 800 square feet, on the Blue Line of the public bus line (which is FREE for students), washer and dryer in unit, carpeting that is only two years old, no pet fees for any pets, modern appliances, no noisy frats houses or party houses nearby, and less than a mile from campus. For that, I only pay $700 a month.

I found such a great deal because I looked through craigslist. As long as you take a few days to go through listings, you are sure to find great deals on apartments in Champaign that are hundreds cheaper. While I don't think the Village is horrible, it's not a great deal if you're trying to keep costs low. It's CONVENIENT and that is what you are paying for.

Ms4life

New

Post by Ms4life » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:58 am

As many of you have stated in this thread thus far, I'll probably be deciding between the Village and 75 armory (more likely 75 because of the negative comments I heard about the Village from current students) because of its convenience. It's been stated time and time again that it's probably best to stay within close proximity to the law school during your 1L year, and then you can begin to move further away from school as you progress to a 2L and 3L. Please let us know how the ASD event goes today because it was pretty dead on the 20th (all the student were gone for Spring Break).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”