The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
kraith
Posts: 26
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:30 pm

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby kraith » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:11 pm

Question for y'all regarding scholarship negotiation (brand new at it). I got a ~1/3 tuition offer (I'm 50th-lsat/gpa-75th). I'm trying to figure out if its possible to negotiate up to full ride. I have full ride offer at Cornell, but that's my only main aid offer. I'm in at Yale, whos need-aid is less than my Chicago offer, but I have a feeling that won't be too helpful in negotiation?

If I can't up the offer to full ride, I'll probably just withdraw, but I have no clue if negotiation could get me to full ride. PM for more specifics. Thanks in advance :)

User avatar
Auxilio
Posts: 582
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:51 pm

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby Auxilio » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:45 pm

kraith wrote:Question for y'all regarding scholarship negotiation (brand new at it). I got a ~1/3 tuition offer (I'm 50th-lsat/gpa-75th). I'm trying to figure out if its possible to negotiate up to full ride. I have full ride offer at Cornell, but that's my only main aid offer. I'm in at Yale, whos need-aid is less than my Chicago offer, but I have a feeling that won't be too helpful in negotiation?

If I can't up the offer to full ride, I'll probably just withdraw, but I have no clue if negotiation could get me to full ride. PM for more specifics. Thanks in advance :)



I doubt you could get a full ride through negotiating (I think they only give them through Rubys and your 50th lsat seems to limit that possibility, in addition to the fact that they didn't offer you anything close, I am not even sure you could get a Ruby through negotiating ever). You might have a chance of getting up to something approaching 100k, but I doubt it would get much higher than that.

User avatar
LoganCouture
Posts: 1405
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby LoganCouture » Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:12 pm

Auxilio wrote:
kraith wrote:Question for y'all regarding scholarship negotiation (brand new at it). I got a ~1/3 tuition offer (I'm 50th-lsat/gpa-75th). I'm trying to figure out if its possible to negotiate up to full ride. I have full ride offer at Cornell, but that's my only main aid offer. I'm in at Yale, whos need-aid is less than my Chicago offer, but I have a feeling that won't be too helpful in negotiation?

If I can't up the offer to full ride, I'll probably just withdraw, but I have no clue if negotiation could get me to full ride. PM for more specifics. Thanks in advance :)



I doubt you could get a full ride through negotiating (I think they only give them through Rubys and your 50th lsat seems to limit that possibility, in addition to the fact that they didn't offer you anything close, I am not even sure you could get a Ruby through negotiating ever). You might have a chance of getting up to something approaching 100k, but I doubt it would get much higher than that.


Jumping off from this, I wonder how Ruby alternates are chosen...Do you think they have a list ready to go on April 14 of people they want to distribute the second round of awards to? Or would negotiating around that time put you in their mind as a possible candidate (assuming good numbers/softs)?

User avatar
Moltenmama
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:51 pm

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby Moltenmama » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:17 pm

lc39 wrote:
jemthey17 wrote:
Moltenmama wrote:While we're on the topic of stress and eating...what do Chicagoans do without See's Candy?! I'm very worried. Any chocoholics willing to share their dealer?


I'm confused. We have See's here. I am not big on chocolate so I don't eat it, but you can certainly find it at Macy's on Michigan and I think at the State St. location as well.


I would hope that Chicago/any self-respecting large city has better chocolate to offer than See's Candy anyway...

Don't be a snob. See's is just fine for me. The State Street location just sells the shipped-in candy. It won't have some of the candies that actual shops have.
But it'll do, I guess.
Thanks, Antiworldly! I will check out your recommendation asap!

dm1919
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:38 pm

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby dm1919 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:52 pm

"Men lie. Women lie. Numbers don't." - Jay Z

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIwxIobtab4

http://taxprof.typepad.com/files/adams- ... ummary.pdf

Hope to see all you admitted students next year at UChicago.

03282016
Posts: 4984
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:52 am

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:32 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

slurpy
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:23 pm

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby slurpy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:20 pm

Just RSVPed for ASW. Looking forward to meeting some of you there!

User avatar
middlebear
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby middlebear » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:52 pm

Georgetown's catching up again. Ruh roh.

lol but it is weirdly satisfying to scroll down the list of threads and see no one else is even close to our page count.

03282016
Posts: 4984
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:52 am

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:55 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
middlebear
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby middlebear » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:05 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
middlebear wrote:Georgetown's catching up again. Ruh roh.

lol but it is weirdly satisfying to scroll down the list of threads and see no one else is even close to our page count.


I noticed this. We need to return fire - we were on a hot streak for a while.

I kind of want to throw a new poll up but also some people are still waiting on their decisions, and negotiating is happening. Maybe just wait until after ASW and run it again?


Yeah, I think we could put a new one up for now since we've lost that first excitement of schollys. Per usual, though, I have no creative ideas on content.

03282016
Posts: 4984
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:52 am

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:10 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PariSiamo
Posts: 406
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:03 am

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby PariSiamo » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:00 pm

Maybe which ASW event(s) we signed up for?

Edit: see Berk's

User avatar
jawsjawsjaws
Posts: 347
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:25 am

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby jawsjawsjaws » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:54 am

Asked for more $$. Let's see how this goes ^^

User avatar
paragonloop
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:10 pm

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby paragonloop » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:56 am

FYI scholarship review form says it's due by April 17 and they'll review them the week of April 20-24, with a decision by the April 30 deadline. You can list up to 3 awards and write a brief response why you are requesting a review of your scholarship award.

User avatar
middlebear
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby middlebear » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:20 pm

paragonloop wrote:FYI scholarship review form says it's due by April 17 and they'll review them the week of April 20-24, with a decision by the April 30 deadline. You can list up to 3 awards and write a brief response why you are requesting a review of your scholarship award.


I'm trying to be strategic on which 3 I send in. I have Cornell/Duke/Michigan offers right now (Cornell by far the largest, Duke slightly higher than Michigan) and am hoping to get Berk/Columbia offers soon. I'm thinking that if Columbia offers me at least equal to the Chi offer (who knows? NYU offered zilch) that would really need to be one of the three, along with Cornell, since it's number-wise the highest.

…anyone have thoughts on which schools' offers to negotiate with? Sorry that this is me just listing my own crap.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:51 pm

Just send an email with any subsequent offers you receive. It's not like they won't consider new or increased offers.

User avatar
middlebear
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby middlebear » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:01 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:Just send an email with any subsequent offers you receive. It's not like they won't consider new or increased offers.


OK, good to hear from a voice of experience they don't mind us sending more than 3--thanks.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:26 pm

I'm not speaking for admissions but it's what I would do. I would follow the form then send an email if anything changes or if there's more info you want to add.

User avatar
Mack.Hambleton
Posts: 5417
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:09 am

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Sat Mar 21, 2015 3:32 pm

Really hope Chicago gets back to me by my deadlines :0

UofCforme
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:12 am

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby UofCforme » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:44 pm

middlebear wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Just send an email with any subsequent offers you receive. It's not like they won't consider new or increased offers.


OK, good to hear from a voice of experience they don't mind us sending more than 3--thanks.


I sent in more than three as well. I think they mainly say that they want it limited to three because they don't want people listing like 15 offers or whatever when 12 of them are from schools that they aren't going to realistically attend. Just trying to prevent unnecessary work on their end.

Also my personal experience with Columbia is that they are going to get back to you REALLY late with scholarship info. So, just be prepared for that.

User avatar
daedalus2309
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:15 pm

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby daedalus2309 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:04 am

I think I'm out of the loop (hahahahahaha Chicago pun guyz) on the whole Regents/Shoreland conversation. From what I can tell so far, their rates aren't great. It looks like I can find a studio/one bedroom closer to the Law School for cheaper.

Is there a law school discount that makes Regents/Shoreland TCR? How much is it?

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:19 am

daedalus2309 wrote:I think I'm out of the loop (hahahahahaha Chicago pun guyz) on the whole Regents/Shoreland conversation. From what I can tell so far, their rates aren't great. It looks like I can find a studio/one bedroom closer to the Law School for cheaper.

Is there a law school discount that makes Regents/Shoreland TCR? How much is it?


TCR means different things for different people. You'll absolutely be able to find cheaper places close to the law school. But they'll probably be older, have more maintenance issues, and not have any extra amenities-like full time maintenance staff, gym, mail room, etc. If you don't want any of that stuff then bob's your uncle. I'm happy to pay for Regents since my utilities are all capped at a low rate and/or free, I have a maintenance staff available anytime, I have a really safe and secure high rise with a great view, everyone lives there first year and it's super easy to get downtown. It's just a trade off-I'm a fan of the convenience. I have friends at shoreland but I think it's WAY too expensive. It's at least a few hundred dollars more per month than regents. But other people would probably disagree with me.

At the same time Regents isn't the best deal for everyone. People have had pretty bad experiences there and I might just be an exception. I just have a gigantic studio that I love and some of the conveniences that come with regents are great for me. But you are absolutely paying a premium to live in Shoreland, Del Prado, Shoreland, or downtown.

random number
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby random number » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:40 am

daedalus2309 wrote:I think I'm out of the loop (hahahahahaha Chicago pun guyz) on the whole Regents/Shoreland conversation. From what I can tell so far, their rates aren't great. It looks like I can find a studio/one bedroom closer to the Law School for cheaper.

Is there a law school discount that makes Regents/Shoreland TCR? How much is it?


Regents has been good so far. As Mal said, there are cheaper housing options (both through the school and privately) throughout Hyde Park, but you're giving up the convenience of the location (it's right on several major bus routes, including the bus that goes to the school) and the ability to easily socialize with fellow 1Ls.

If you're looking for a similar location at a slightly lesser price, I know that a lot of people have been happy at the Algonquin (right across the street from Regents).

If you're coming to ASW, I'd suggest going on a housing tour if it is offered (it was last year). I'd also use that as an opportunity to ask if there is a grad student discount this year.

User avatar
middlebear
Posts: 543
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby middlebear » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:45 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
daedalus2309 wrote:I think I'm out of the loop (hahahahahaha Chicago pun guyz) on the whole Regents/Shoreland conversation. From what I can tell so far, their rates aren't great. It looks like I can find a studio/one bedroom closer to the Law School for cheaper.

Is there a law school discount that makes Regents/Shoreland TCR? How much is it?


TCR means different things for different people. You'll absolutely be able to find cheaper places close to the law school. But they'll probably be older, have more maintenance issues, and not have any extra amenities-like full time maintenance staff, gym, mail room, etc. If you don't want any of that stuff then bob's your uncle. I'm happy to pay for Regents since my utilities are all capped at a low rate and/or free, I have a maintenance staff available anytime, I have a really safe and secure high rise with a great view, everyone lives there first year and it's super easy to get downtown. It's just a trade off-I'm a fan of the convenience. I have friends at shoreland but I think it's WAY too expensive. It's at least a few hundred dollars more per month than regents. But other people would probably disagree with me.

At the same time Regents isn't the best deal for everyone. People have had pretty bad experiences there and I might just be an exception. I just have a gigantic studio that I love and some of the conveniences that come with regents are great for me. But you are absolutely paying a premium to live in Shoreland, Del Prado, Shoreland, or downtown.


So Mal, it sounds like you stayed at Regent's beyond 1L--do many people do that?

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:56 am

Some do. Lots move to the south loop and other parts of downtown. I don't love the south loop so if I were to move downtown it would be to a place that would make the commute to the school a living nightmare. Plus I'm just lazy so Im fine with not moving from regents until I graduate.




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest