The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
Hand

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Postby Hand » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:05 pm

2014 wrote:Hosts have an air mattress provided by the school and you have to think most of them will at least have a blanket you can use. Most likely a pillow too but that's less of a pain to deal with on a plane.

do you need to bring your own condoms or are those also provided by the school

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:06 pm

hereisonehand wrote:
2014 wrote:Hosts have an air mattress provided by the school and you have to think most of them will at least have a blanket you can use. Most likely a pillow too but that's less of a pain to deal with on a plane.

:wink:

PariSiamo

Postby PariSiamo » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:50 pm

Hahahah

[s][/s]

Postby 03282016 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:51 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pulsar

Postby Pulsar » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:53 am

I just wanted to pop in and let everybody know that Regents absolutely sucks. Wow I hate this place. When I moved in, the freight elevator broke and trapped my movers for 20 minutes lol. We then had to sit around (while I was paying $80/hour) while Regents figured out that no, they couldn't fix it, but we could haul everything around to the normal elevators if we wanted. This was but the prelude to what I was getting into. Nothing works (the only internet provider, AWB, can be very spotty, elevators are slow and occasionally nonfunctional, gym machines are often out of order, today they even randomly misprogrammed the door to the store downstairs so that you had to go back upstairs and all the way around to the outside (dressed in your flipflops in the cold) entrance to get in and buy the 5-hour energy that you need for your final, etc.). The daily stream of indignities is slowly driving me insane. The world would probably be better if everyone congregated in Del Prado or Shoreline or Algonquin or something instead. Lord willing, this building will be hit by an asteroid and wiped from the earth. Until then, exercise caution.

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:54 am

Pulsar wrote:I just wanted to pop in and let everybody know that Regents absolutely sucks. Wow I hate this place. When I moved in, the freight elevator broke and trapped my movers for 20 minutes lol. We then had to sit around (while I was paying $80/hour) while Regents figured out that no, they couldn't fix it, but we could haul everything around to the normal elevators if we wanted. This was but the prelude to what I was getting into. Nothing works (the only internet provider, AWB, can be very spotty, elevators are slow and occasionally nonfunctional, gym machines are often out of order, today they even randomly misprogrammed the door to the store downstairs so that you had to go back upstairs and all the way around to the outside (dressed in your flipflops in the cold) entrance to get in and buy the 5-hour energy that you need for your final, etc.). The daily stream of indignities is slowly driving me insane. The world would probably be better if everyone congregated in Del Prado or Shoreline or Algonquin or something instead. Lord willing, this building will be hit by an asteroid and wiped from the earth. Until then, exercise caution.

thanks for this, heard better things about shoreland?

Pulsar

Postby Pulsar » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:06 am

I'm not sure. I've never lived there. In all honesty, Regents is convenient transportation wise (the #6 comes right by and gets you to the loop reasonably quickly; the #172 is right there for school, etc.) and the gym (even if mediocre) is nice in the winter.

That said wow I just wasted an hour trying to print a damned outline. And I learned that if you try to add $1 to your print card, the machine actually just takes $5 from you and lets you know on the next screen that the minimum charge is $5 (even though the previous screen has a $1 button lol). Then you put your card in the printer and learn that you still only got $1's worth of print money out of it. And here I am a little law student who thought robbery was illegal. This is the kind of stupid crap that I can only imagine happening at Regents. Anyway I'm going to bed, that's my rant. Have a nice night all; best of luck with your decisions.

PariSiamo

Postby PariSiamo » Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:39 am

I want to check out Twin Towers. The view looks great, at least.

Postby 2014 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:26 am

hereisonehand wrote:

I will find you some branded ones and have them waiting in a care package with your host. Make sure you only sleep w/ current students (gotta look out for our own) and ask if they have jobs first though, don't want to sow your oats w/ the unsuccessful.

Fred Norris

Postby Fred Norris » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:25 pm

Why are the transportation times so outrageous. 50 minutes to get from O'Hare to the school? 1.5 hrs on public transport?

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:38 pm

A good compromise is to take the blue line to the loop (anywhere from the Clarke/lake to the Jackson stop) then take an uber from downtown to Hyde park. It's only ten two twelve bucks and that will cut down quite a bit of time. But yeah getting to hp from ohare sucks.

applelover

Postby applelover » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:17 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
Pulsar wrote:I just wanted to pop in and let everybody know that Regents absolutely sucks. Wow I hate this place. When I moved in, the freight elevator broke and trapped my movers for 20 minutes lol. We then had to sit around (while I was paying $80/hour) while Regents figured out that no, they couldn't fix it, but we could haul everything around to the normal elevators if we wanted. This was but the prelude to what I was getting into. Nothing works (the only internet provider, AWB, can be very spotty, elevators are slow and occasionally nonfunctional, gym machines are often out of order, today they even randomly misprogrammed the door to the store downstairs so that you had to go back upstairs and all the way around to the outside (dressed in your flipflops in the cold) entrance to get in and buy the 5-hour energy that you need for your final, etc.). The daily stream of indignities is slowly driving me insane. The world would probably be better if everyone congregated in Del Prado or Shoreline or Algonquin or something instead. Lord willing, this building will be hit by an asteroid and wiped from the earth. Until then, exercise caution.

thanks for this, heard better things about shoreland?

I definitely think Shoreland is better than Regents. It's nicer and the building is not completely full yet, so you may be the first person to live in your unit. Also, maintenance is pretty quick and the front desk people are great. Residents get free wifi for a year and it's pretty fast. I'm always able to stream my shows without a problem. The only thing I dislike about the building is the fact that if you want more than the basic network channels (NBC ABC FOX CBS), you have to get Directv because the building has a contract with them. So whenever there is a really bad storm, my tv goes out.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:47 am

sent a note to fin. aid asking to discuss my merit package - will report details shortly

Mack.Hambleton

Postby Mack.Hambleton » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:28 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:sent a note to fin. aid asking to discuss my merit package - will report details shortly

they have a specific form for negotiating idk if you mean that

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:42 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:sent a note to fin. aid asking to discuss my merit package - will report details shortly

If you didn't they will respond to your email with a "please fill out this form" email

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:25 am

ChemEng1642 wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:

If you didn't they will respond to your email with a "please fill out this form" email

indeed. deadline is apr. 17

pushsum123

Postby pushsum123 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:49 pm

Hey guys, checking in :)

Indy16

Postby Indy16 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:52 pm

Excited to check in y'all.

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:57 pm

Checking in! Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know the general time period between acceptance and the scholarship/financial aid email? Are awards (if any) emailed?

Thanks in advance.

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:05 pm

mujiali wrote:Checking in! Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know the general time period between acceptance and the scholarship/financial aid email? Are awards (if any) emailed?

Thanks in advance.

It took about a month for the last wave of acceptances. Awards are emailed.

ETA: Congrats to those who were accepted in the wave today!

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:07 pm

lc39 wrote:
mujiali wrote:Checking in! Sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know the general time period between acceptance and the scholarship/financial aid email? Are awards (if any) emailed?

Thanks in advance.

It took about a month for the last wave of acceptances. Awards are emailed.

ETA: Congrats to those who were accepted in the wave today!

Wow. Here's hoping to a quicker turnaround on this bunch. :\ Thanks again.

LSCHI

Postby LSCHI » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:07 pm

Checking in! $$$ from Chicago would make my choice very difficult (in a good way)

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:45 pm

Checking in!

moejoe193

Postby moejoe193 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:03 pm

Is there any precedent for asking Chicago to move up their financial aid package timeline? Waiting a month leaves little-to-no time to weigh options or negotiate.

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:51 pm

moejoe193 wrote:Is there any precedent for asking Chicago to move up their financial aid package timeline? Waiting a month leaves little-to-no time to weigh options or negotiate.

I'm not sure that's their timeline. Could be quicker now that they've gotten most/all of the aid packages out for Feb and earlier admits. If you have an exploding deadline I'd probably politely email and let them know.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”