The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
hillz

Silver

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Post by hillz » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:57 pm

hohenheim wrote:
lc39 wrote:
Cradle6 wrote:Where are you all staying for the ASW?

I found out kind of late that I can go, but now the Hyatt is sold out for that weekend (What is the cost per night anyway with this "special rate" deal from UCHI?)

Hilton is like $163/night
AirBnB! Would've done the current student option but my SO is coming with.
FYI for future admits, you can often stay in a second bedroom of a married student if you're coming to ASW with an SO and want more privacy. Just tell the admissions people and they'll work to pair you accordingly.
Yeah, I saw on the accomodations form that they try to still fit you in if you are bringing a SO. I'm not a bringing my SO, but the fact that they have events for the SOs of admitted applicants seems really thoughtful.

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:15 am

I'll be honest, I can't 100% remember what all I signed up for… I'll be at the Women's Law Caucus (or whatever the women's group is called) lunch, and I think I'm just to just about everything. Definitely the pizza.

This will be the third time I've been to Chicago, and the third time I've had Gino's East.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:22 am

Lou Malnatis is better but I think Gino's is more conducive to large private events :(

PariSiamo

Bronze

Post by PariSiamo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:31 am

I don't remember the Town Hall Meeting and Chicago's Best Ideas. Can someone fill me in?
Last edited by PariSiamo on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:33 am

PariSiamo wrote:I don't remember the Town Hall Meeting and Chicago's Best Ideas. Can someone fill me in?
Chicago's Best Ideas was some sort of propaganda-sounding "here is all the great stuff that came out of Chicago! Come live in this dynamic and intellectually vibrant city!" sort of thing. Do not recall anything re the town hall.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PariSiamo

Bronze

Post by PariSiamo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:35 am

middlebear wrote:
PariSiamo wrote:I don't remember the Town Hall Meeting and Chicago's Best Ideas. Can someone fill me in?
Chicago's Best Ideas was some sort of propaganda-sounding "here is all the great stuff that came out of Chicago! Come live in this dynamic and intellectually vibrant city!" sort of thing. Do not recall anything re the town hall.
I'm already sold on the Chicago dog. That's pretty hard to beat in the realm of best ideas TBH

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:38 am

Chicago dog >>>>>>>>>> deep dish

PariSiamo

Bronze

Post by PariSiamo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:39 am

^hell yeah

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:40 am

PariSiamo wrote:
middlebear wrote:
I'm already sold on the Chicago dog. That's pretty hard to beat in the realm of best ideas TBH
But we're not allowed to have ketchup, right??!? I don't think you understand how important ketchup is to me personally.

On an unrelated but adorable note, my brother will literally eat ketchup with a spoon if we squeeze it onto the plate for him.

I'm really excited for this ASW. I also just had a pretty not-great experience at Columbia, so I really want this to be great and just clinch everything and verify to myself that Columbia sucked.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PariSiamo

Bronze

Post by PariSiamo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:41 am

What was wrong with Columbia?

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:46 am

PariSiamo wrote:What was wrong with Columbia?
Was going to type a whole thing out and then I remembered I could just paste in what I put in another thread. Disclaimer here is that 1) I'm pretty committed to gov't/PI work and 2) I went in knowing that NYC was not an ideal fit, but figuring if I liked the school I could deal with it for 3 years.

This sounds terrible, but honestly I think some of the stuff the students said to me was kind of what killed it. The faculty put on all these social justice/here's the cool work and research we're doing panels, which sounded great, and then you talked to students in pretty much any class year and they said the equivalent of "well, yeah, that's great, but we're all only here for the firms and that's what CLS is really good at." It felt weirdly like the school was trying to trick us in the door? Though I had some great conversations with professors/staff.

ETA: I had at least one current student essentially trying to talk me out of doing anything non-BigLaw, which I found… really off-putting? Like, yes, you're going to a good firm and making bank, but you don't know me and my goals.

I also, on an unrelated note, was really struck by how many people there were (mainly KJDs, I think?) who, even though almost no one knows anything on scholarships yet, were already saying they were committed to CLS--both EDers and people who said they had already made up their minds. And the number of parents wandering around. I felt almost like it was a different/less informed (not everyone, obviously, but… more visibly so) group of students than I've seen at other schools.

Also, the first day where you sat in that auditorium for like 2 hours straight was hell. I was not feeling well from traveling the day before and thought I was going to introduce myself to all you lovely people by vomming in the middle of the first panels. I'm still not really sure organizationally the whole two days was planned very well.

PariSiamo

Bronze

Post by PariSiamo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:04 pm

edit
Last edited by PariSiamo on Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Auxilio

Silver

Post by Auxilio » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:37 pm

Chicago is the first school to bother getting the current student that emails me being a Canadian. Definitely a nice touch.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:55 pm

Auxilio wrote:Chicago is the first school to bother getting the current student that emails me being a Canadian. Definitely a nice touch.
I was wondering if they matched us up geographically! Mine's practically from next door.

lnick93

Bronze

Post by lnick93 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:00 pm

middlebear wrote:
Auxilio wrote:Chicago is the first school to bother getting the current student that emails me being a Canadian. Definitely a nice touch.
I was wondering if they matched us up geographically! Mine's practically from next door.
Can confirm that they are not matching based on geography. The person who emailed me is from the mid-west and I'm from the south. I think I was matched based on student org interests.

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:20 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

soexcited

New

Post by soexcited » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:28 pm

This sounds terrible, but honestly I think some of the stuff the students said to me was kind of what killed it. The faculty put on all these social justice/here's the cool work and research we're doing panels, which sounded great, and then you talked to students in pretty much any class year and they said the equivalent of "well, yeah, that's great, but we're all only here for the firms and that's what CLS is really good at." It felt weirdly like the school was trying to trick us in the door? Though I had some great conversations with professors/staff.

ETA: I had at least one current student essentially trying to talk me out of doing anything non-BigLaw, which I found… really off-putting? Like, yes, you're going to a good firm and making bank, but you don't know me and my goals.

I also, on an unrelated note, was really struck by how many people there were (mainly KJDs, I think?) who, even though almost no one knows anything on scholarships yet, were already saying they were committed to CLS--both EDers and people who said they had already made up their minds. And the number of parents wandering around. I felt almost like it was a different/less informed (not everyone, obviously, but… more visibly so) group of students than I've seen at other schools.

Also, the first day where you sat in that auditorium for like 2 hours straight was hell. I was not feeling well from traveling the day before and thought I was going to introduce myself to all you lovely people by vomming in the middle of the first panels. I'm still not really sure organizationally the whole two days was planned very well.
Yes, this! I totally bought the excitement around PI coming from professors and administrators, but there was a huge gap between that and the attitude of current (and admitted) students toward some of the same activities and career paths. I hope that Chicago gives a different vibe, but I'm also hoping to be more proactive about finding Public Interest-y people to talk to while I'm there. I want to know who you all are. If all serious PI admits could wear bright orange pants on Thursday, I would really appreciate it. Thx.

Also, checking in? Not sure if I've said hi yet, but I'm a serious lurker.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:40 pm

soexcited wrote:Yes, this! I totally bought the excitement around PI coming from professors and administrators, but there was a huge gap between that and the attitude of current (and admitted) students toward some of the same activities and career paths. I hope that Chicago gives a different vibe, but I'm also hoping to be more proactive about finding Public Interest-y people to talk to while I'm there. I want to know who you all are. If all serious PI admits could wear bright orange pants on Thursday, I would really appreciate it. Thx.

Glad I'm not the only one. I've heard good things about PI/PS advising at Chicago, and I've been emailing with a recent grad who literally has my dream job. So I'm optimistic...?

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:44 pm

No email here yet :( Why don't you love me, UChi admin?

Also does anyone know if UChi will look at lower T14 offers for negotiation purposes (NU and Cornell specifically)? I got a pretty generous scholarship and it's my highest offer in the T10 thus far, but it would be nice to go a little higher. :P

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:51 pm

leslieknope wrote:No email here yet :( Why don't you love me, UChi admin?

Also does anyone know if UChi will look at lower T14 offers for negotiation purposes (NU and Cornell specifically)? I got a pretty generous scholarship and it's my highest offer in the T10 thus far, but it would be nice to go a little higher. :P
Yes they'll definitely look at NW. You leaning Chicago right now?

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:30 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
leslieknope wrote:No email here yet :( Why don't you love me, UChi admin?

Yes they'll definitely look at NW. You leaning Chicago right now?
Unless one of my other schools comes through with $$ (doubtful), narrowed it down to H vs Chicago vs Northwestern. I'm expecting something in need-based aid at H so I'm waiting on that + visits to make a final decision. And also awesome, good to know!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

slurpy

New

Post by slurpy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:54 pm

middlebear wrote:
soexcited wrote:Yes, this! I totally bought the excitement around PI coming from professors and administrators, but there was a huge gap between that and the attitude of current (and admitted) students toward some of the same activities and career paths. I hope that Chicago gives a different vibe, but I'm also hoping to be more proactive about finding Public Interest-y people to talk to while I'm there. I want to know who you all are. If all serious PI admits could wear bright orange pants on Thursday, I would really appreciate it. Thx.

Glad I'm not the only one. I've heard good things about PI/PS advising at Chicago, and I've been emailing with a recent grad who literally has my dream job. So I'm optimistic...?
Right there with you guys on the PI!!

PariSiamo

Bronze

Post by PariSiamo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:54 pm

Anyone else been checking the UChicago Marketplace for apartment listings? I've seen some incredible deals

lester

New

Post by lester » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:23 pm

Does anyone know what the university exercise facilities are like? (especially the weight room and basketball courts)

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:52 pm

lester wrote:Does anyone know what the university exercise facilities are like? (especially the weight room and basketball courts)
Basketball courts are really great. There are two major courts at Ratner that can support three to four ish pickup games and others at the second gym on campus but I forget what that gym is called. The weight room at Ratner is prett solid too. It has like five or so squat racks and plenty of dbs and machines. It just gets pretty damn busy around 4-5pm.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”