The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Re: The University of Chicago Law School Class of 2018

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:38 pm

intersting thing from that handbook:

only 16% of grads (~34 ppl) worked NY biglaw

last year more grads worked in CA than NY

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:41 pm

It's hard to overstate how little my class wanted to go to NYC. There are obviously exceptions, especially people from there. But mostly people wanted anywhere but NYC.

LawBron James

Bronze

Post by LawBron James » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:49 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:It's hard to overstate how little my class wanted to go to NYC. There are obviously exceptions, especially people from there. But mostly people wanted anywhere but NYC.
Was it mainly COL and sweatshop reputation concerns?

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:58 am

Those were definitely concerns. It just seemed like people preferred other cities also. As between Chicago and NYC, or California and NYC, I noticed the balance tipped away from NYC more often than not. Now this doesn't mean that people won't be going there. People with very specific work goals, or family/friends in NYC were happy to choose some of those firms. I know a person going to Wachtell and they will kill it there.

But in the aggregate I know that lots of NYC firms were experiencing very low yield numbers. They even emailed their associates to see if there was anything they could do. Like one V10 had 16 open offers and only one or two acceptances. What this means is that competition for you guys in NYC is pretty low. While this is by no means a guarantee, and you still have to make sure you have all of your ducks in a row before OCI, I am happy I bid some NYC firms as a backup to my primary market for sure.

musedreverie

Bronze

Post by musedreverie » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:05 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:Those were definitely concerns. It just seemed like people preferred other cities also. As between Chicago and NYC, or California and NYC, I noticed the balance tipped away from NYC more often than not. Now this doesn't mean that people won't be going there. People with very specific work goals, or family/friends in NYC were happy to choose some of those firms. I know a person going to Wachtell and they will kill it there.

But in the aggregate I know that lots of NYC firms were experiencing very low yield numbers. They even emailed their associates to see if there was anything they could do. Like one V10 had 16 open offers and only one or two acceptances. What this means is that competition for you guys in NYC is pretty low. While this is by no means a guarantee, and you still have to make sure you have all of your ducks in a row before OCI, I am happy I bid some NYC firms as a backup to my primary market for sure.
Do you think the low yield from UChi to those law firms may mean that they start an aversion to future Chicago students?

But even for me, I think I will choose California over NYC if I could

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:11 am

musedreverie wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:Those were definitely concerns. It just seemed like people preferred other cities also. As between Chicago and NYC, or California and NYC, I noticed the balance tipped away from NYC more often than not. Now this doesn't mean that people won't be going there. People with very specific work goals, or family/friends in NYC were happy to choose some of those firms. I know a person going to Wachtell and they will kill it there.

Do you think the low yield from UChi to those law firms may mean that they start an aversion to future Chicago students?

If anything their reaction is the opposite-I heard from multiple sources that they really wanted UChicago students. An OCI interviewer at one of the firms I interviewed with told one of his then summer associates he really needed to convince us to come there. But of course asking me to predict the emotions of law firm partners is probably impossible.

musedreverie

Bronze

Post by musedreverie » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:37 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:
musedreverie wrote: Do you think the low yield from UChi to those law firms may mean that they start an aversion to future Chicago students?

If anything their reaction is the opposite-I heard from multiple sources that they really wanted UChicago students. An OCI interviewer at one of the firms I interviewed with told one of his then summer associates he really needed to convince us to come there. But of course asking me to predict the emotions of law firm partners is probably impossible.
Yeah good point haha

well I guess the low yield means students have other great options to choose aside from the tragic 18-hour-a-day workhouse that is the NYC biglaw; and good on them too!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:39 am

Don't be so quick the write off the hours of non-NYC biglaw.

musedreverie

Bronze

Post by musedreverie » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:41 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:Don't be so quick the write off the hours of non-NYC biglaw.
Oh dear.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:42 am

Shouldn't that be "oh bother."

EvergreenStateLady

Bronze

Post by EvergreenStateLady » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:00 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:Shouldn't that be "oh bother."
Lol, I was thinking the same thing and then I scrolled down to see that we were on the same page. :wink:

musedreverie

Bronze

Post by musedreverie » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:03 am

Yeah I was beside myself on having my Californian dreams crushed I forgot my catchphrase.

EvergreenStateLady

Bronze

Post by EvergreenStateLady » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:43 am

musedreverie wrote:Yeah I was beside myself on having my Californian dreams crushed I forgot my catchphrase.

That's too bad. :(

At least you got accepted to some great schools, I saw you got into Harvard as well as Chicago. Sounds like you have some great options but I know it's always hard not to get your first choice. I'm certain you'll be happy!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

musedreverie

Bronze

Post by musedreverie » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:17 am

EvergreenStateLady wrote:
musedreverie wrote:Yeah I was beside myself on having my Californian dreams crushed I forgot my catchphrase.

At least you got accepted to some great schools, I saw you got into Harvard as well as Chicago. Sounds like you have some great options but I know it's always hard not to get your first choice. I'm certain you'll be happy!
Haha yeah... I was kinda talking about the Californian biglaw, not the law school itself, but thanks for the optimistic comment though! :D And Chicago is definitely my top 3 (all 3 on an equal par); it's such a great school!

(on a related note though, I think my rejection from the only Californian school I applied to is soon due anyway!)

nejlas

New

Post by nejlas » Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:49 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:intersting thing from that handbook:

only 16% of grads (~34 ppl) worked NY biglaw

last year more grads worked in CA than NY
If you read through the thread "current students taking questions" when you read the posts related to OCI, many students only bid at NYC firms as backup, most do not want to attend. Some posters stated it's easy to get in the legal market in NYC from UChicago, so its not a problem... just not desirable.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 4&t=140165

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:37 am

When did scholly decisions come out last year? Somewhere around the end of February?

EvergreenStateLady

Bronze

Post by EvergreenStateLady » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:33 am

musedreverie wrote:
EvergreenStateLady wrote:

Haha yeah... I was kinda talking about the Californian biglaw, not the law school itself, but thanks for the optimistic comment though! :D And Chicago is definitely my top 3 (all 3 on an equal par); it's such a great school!

(on a related note though, I think my rejection from the only Californian school I applied to is soon due anyway!)
Well UChi and HLS both place a lot of people in California and most of those placements are probably BigLaw jobs - though you can't know how many of those people already had ties to California.
From LST Score Reports
Harvard: California (12.1% of 2013 grads) 2nd most placed state after NY http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/harvard/
University of Chicago: California (16.3% of 2013 grads) 2nd most placed state after Illinois http://www.lstscorereports.com/schools/chicago/

You could still get a job in california; you could make contacts with firms that have offices in multiple big cities or meet biglaw people who are friends with people who work in Californian firms or even make law school friends who have ties to California. There are ways to network even if you don't live there. It would suck to have to move for the summer but if you can afford to then get a 2L summer associate job from a Californian firm - plus it might not be too expensive since I heard that you get paid for biglaw summer associateships. It is definitely a hassle to move away and then back over the summer but it's probably worth it if that's where you want to live and work.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

titusandronicus

New

Post by titusandronicus » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:20 pm

Just admitted today! Checking in, would love to be in the midwest.

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:22 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

antiworldly

Bronze

Post by antiworldly » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:22 pm

Checking in! Just got the email today, looking forward to visiting for the ASW, but not looking forward to the drive (~11 hrs).

compass

New

Post by compass » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:44 pm

Wahrheit wrote:
middlebear wrote:When did scholly decisions come out last year? Somewhere around the end of February?
Near then, yeah. Who knows when it'll be this year since things seem to be much more active - two waves in two weeks!

Welcome to the new acceptances!
Checking in! Posting because the admit email said financial aid packages will be emailed in early March.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:08 pm

Hi everyone!

crookedjaws

New

Post by crookedjaws » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:12 pm

Last edited by crookedjaws on Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gold

[s][/s]

Post by 03282016 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:13 pm

Last edited by 03282016 on Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:16 pm

Checking in!! Excited!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”