UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Which ASW events are you attending?

BJSA Welcome Event
No votes
FGP Welcome Dinner
34%
WOCC Dinner
16%
BHWA Happy Hour
9%
BJIL BBQ
6%
BTLJ Happy Hour
No votes
BJELL Happy Hour
No votes
AAPI Dinner
13%
MELSA Dinner
3%
La Raza Welcome
19%

Total votes: 32

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2018

Post by BlueLaw11 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:26 pm

Barbaroix2 wrote:Got the held email also. Out of curiosity did everyone else who got held submit a scholarship with a deadline that falls between April 20 and May 6, or is there anyone who submitted with an earlier deadline?

I can't wait until May 6 for a decision.
Same email and in the same boat, definitely frustrating

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:49 pm

Got the held email too. Did anyone still waiting on a matching decision not get it?

strugglebus

Bronze

Post by strugglebus » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:45 pm

Sorry to those held! Withdrew today and put some $$ back into the matching pot, so hopefully that helps get someone un-held

Berwyn85

New

Post by Berwyn85 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:35 am

Comma.Split wrote:
Berwyn85 wrote:Seems like 2 people (possibly a third) who were waiting on matching scholarships got offered the "Boalt Hall Scholarship" for $30,000. A couple mentioned they got denied (AFTER the deadline, no less). No one came back to say they had gotten their full match, although the board stopped getting new entries not long after, so they may have just moved on...
Where do you get this info?

Just what I read in the Class of 2017 thread on these boards.

p89sean16

New

Post by p89sean16 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:59 am

#TeamHeld

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trynalaw123

Bronze

Post by trynalaw123 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:13 am

Also held. This is so annoying of them, they know that we all have other deadlines in that time frame. Is there any reason we should think that we might still get a normal scholarship?

Edit for additional info (for those who are interested and have too much free time at work like me): I just compared last year's LSN to this year's and both have the same exact number of scholarships reported (22), but this year exactly half of them went to applicants with either URM/Non-traditional/International status whereas last year only 6 were. Maybe they're favoring those various types of applicants more this year.
It could all very easily be accounted for by lack of/increase in reporting between years, but it's worrisome to me that we have reached the same number of total scholarships awarded last year already.

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:35 am

strugglebus wrote:Sorry to those held! Withdrew today and put some $$ back into the matching pot, so hopefully that helps get someone un-held
+1

Blue0613

New

Post by Blue0613 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:04 pm

I am an idiot. Please delete.I am an idiot. Please delete.
Last edited by Blue0613 on Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

p89sean16

New

Post by p89sean16 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:11 pm

It's not entirely the top-10. Berkeley has a list of schools they match, and Cornell is one of them. UVa for instance is not on the list, neither are Northwestern or G-TTTown in the T14.
Berkeley wrote:Students admitted to Berkeley Law that have also received a scholarship offer from one of the 10 law schools listed below can apply for a Berkeley Law Matching Scholarship.

Columbia University
Cornell University
Duke University
Harvard University
New York University
Stanford University
University of Chicago
University of Michigan
University of Pennsylvania
Yale University

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

queerqueg

New

Post by queerqueg » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:12 pm

The above was also clearly printed on the match application site...

in addition to something along the lines of: "You can only submit a matching application once."

Good luck though!

hannahp38

New

Post by hannahp38 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:47 am

Would it be worth it to call them if I need to know before May 6? Or since everyone's in the same boat would that do nothing?

NutellaDipity

New

Post by NutellaDipity » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:51 am

hannahp38 wrote:Would it be worth it to call them if I need to know before May 6? Or since everyone's in the same boat would that do nothing?
I replied to the "held" email and included my deadline elsewhere as a reminder.

hannahp38

New

Post by hannahp38 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:09 pm

NutellaDipity wrote:
hannahp38 wrote:Would it be worth it to call them if I need to know before May 6? Or since everyone's in the same boat would that do nothing?
Did that too but haven't heard back. Did they respond to you?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NutellaDipity

New

Post by NutellaDipity » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:04 pm

hannahp38 wrote:
NutellaDipity wrote:
Did that too but haven't heard back. Did they respond to you?
nah just the automatic reply with info for next cycle lol

sheishkabob

Bronze

Post by sheishkabob » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:07 pm

So...are we confirming that no one has gotten denied from matching and everyone who hasn't been granted matching is being held???

atlfan47

New

Post by atlfan47 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:16 pm

sheishkabob wrote:So...are we confirming that no one has gotten denied from matching and everyone who hasn't been granted matching is being held???
First post on here but just so you guys know I was flat out denied a few days ago, so there is definitive movement both good and bad. Left a pretty bitter taste in my mouth as I was really hoping Berk could be an option, but on the plus side it makes my decision a whole lot easier now. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how they do things at Berkeley. Good luck to all those still in a holding pattern...I know it's frustrating to wait this long.

sheishkabob

Bronze

Post by sheishkabob » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:30 pm

atlfan47 wrote:
sheishkabob wrote:So...are we confirming that no one has gotten denied from matching and everyone who hasn't been granted matching is being held???
First post on here but just so you guys know I was flat out denied a few days ago, so there is definitive movement both good and bad. Left a pretty bitter taste in my mouth as I was really hoping Berk could be an option, but on the plus side it makes my decision a whole lot easier now. Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how they do things at Berkeley. Good luck to all those still in a holding pattern...I know it's frustrating to wait this long.
I'm so so sorry :/ I wish you the best of luck, I'm sure you'll end up somewhere equally as awesome.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bird Lawyer

New

Post by Bird Lawyer » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:34 pm

I haven't been held or anything. I submitted my matching app a little late though so that might be why.

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:38 pm

atlfan47 wrote:
Appreciate you letting us know. Best of luck to you!

trynalaw123

Bronze

Post by trynalaw123 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:26 am

Thought it would be worthwhile to let everyone know that yesterday I called the financial aid office to inquire about when they would be done giving out regular (non-matching) scholarships and was told that 90% of those scholarships have already been given out. The girl I spoke with said the woman at financial aid that handles scholarships was out of the office so she couldn't comment on how many of our "held" matching scholarships would ultimately be granted, but she basically gave me a feeling of "if you haven't gotten anything yet, don't hold your breath".
I'm sorry if this is really bad news for some people like me who were holding out hope, but I guess there's still a small chance for a couple lucky folks to hear back. Best of luck to everyone on their decision-making process and beyond; you were the dream Berk, but I can't justify you for sticker </3

Flokkness

Bronze

Post by Flokkness » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:59 am

Matching ding dropped yesterday. Received a very nice email from Kristin the day prior explaining why.

Really looking forward to Berk.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NOLAboy

New

Post by NOLAboy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:58 pm

A little disappointed to hear that chances of a non-matching scholly are slim at this point, but nonetheless, I've just accepted my spot and I'm thrilled beyond belief. The need-based aid alone was more generous than the total amount I got from any comparable school really, so I'm just gonna have to grit my teeth and bear it.

Looking forward to seeing some of you in the fall!!!! At what point does incessant anxiety about moving/housing become an acceptable thread topic?

180kickflip

Bronze

Post by 180kickflip » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:26 pm

Last edited by 180kickflip on Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arose928

Bronze

Post by arose928 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:16 pm

trynalaw123 wrote:Thought it would be worthwhile to let everyone know that yesterday I called the financial aid office to inquire about when they would be done giving out regular (non-matching) scholarships and was told that 90% of those scholarships have already been given out. The girl I spoke with said the woman at financial aid that handles scholarships was out of the office so she couldn't comment on how many of our "held" matching scholarships would ultimately be granted, but she basically gave me a feeling of "if you haven't gotten anything yet, don't hold your breath".
I'm sorry if this is really bad news for some people like me who were holding out hope, but I guess there's still a small chance for a couple lucky folks to hear back. Best of luck to everyone on their decision-making process and beyond; you were the dream Berk, but I can't justify you for sticker </3
:( I had a dream last night that I got a small scholarship - it was just reasonable enough that I woke up not realizing it had actually been a dream. And then I read that. Oh well.

breadcarp

New

Post by breadcarp » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:26 pm

So I have a scholarship deadline of April 20 from NYU (not the one I used for matching) and I'm guessing the matching hold wont be done by then. NYU just informed me that my request for more time was declined, so if I want their money I need to deposit by Monday. The stressful thing is that Berkeley hasn't responded one way or another to my request for a quicker decision. If I call them they ask me to e-mail, and when I e-mail they don't respond. :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”