UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Which ASW events are you attending?

BJSA Welcome Event
No votes
FGP Welcome Dinner
34%
WOCC Dinner
16%
BHWA Happy Hour
9%
BJIL BBQ
6%
BTLJ Happy Hour
No votes
BJELL Happy Hour
No votes
AAPI Dinner
13%
MELSA Dinner
3%
La Raza Welcome
19%

Total votes: 32

hillz

Silver

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2018

Post by hillz » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:16 pm

It took 2 weeks for me to get the email, so I wouldn't be too worried yet.

churrochi

New

Post by churrochi » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:25 pm

fra wrote:It took five days for me to get the email for the admitted students website.
hillz wrote:It took 2 weeks for me to get the email, so I wouldn't be too worried yet.
Thanks! I'll let it hang for a bit then.

Comma.Split

Bronze

Post by Comma.Split » Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:04 pm

Just received an email with instructions on logging in and stuff (admitted last Friday). Check your mailboxes, guys. Congrats again!!

Oskosh

Silver

Post by Oskosh » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:06 pm

Received my information through an email, and I went about creating a login/passcode. I "tentatively" accepted Berkeley's offer for admission.... Waiting on other law schools, and I am glad that they allow you to do this. :) Still deciding on whether or not I am going to visit during admitted student weekend... I will give it until February 15th.

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:15 pm

The amount of info on the admitted students website is awesome. Can't wait for ASW!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:57 am

Comma.Split wrote:Just received an email with instructions on logging in and stuff (admitted last Friday). Check your mailboxes, guys. Congrats again!!
Congrats!! Welcome!

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:58 am

Oskosh wrote:Received my information through an email, and I went about creating a login/passcode. I "tentatively" accepted Berkeley's offer for admission.... Waiting on other law schools, and I am glad that they allow you to do this. :) Still deciding on whether or not I am going to visit during admitted student weekend... I will give it until February 15th.
Exciting stuff isn't it? I hope you decide to come to asw!

ErgoSum

Bronze

Post by ErgoSum » Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:32 pm

Hi everyone :D

sheishkabob

Bronze

Post by sheishkabob » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:27 pm

Hey guys, question: do you know if there is a particular deadline to submit the scholarship interest essays on the ASW? There doesn't appear to be anything listed (correct me if I'm wrong)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lilith66

Bronze

Post by lilith66 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:07 pm

Booked my flights for ASW today!

p89sean16

New

Post by p89sean16 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:08 pm

sheishkabob wrote:Hey guys, question: do you know if there is a particular deadline to submit the scholarship interest essays on the ASW? There doesn't appear to be anything listed (correct me if I'm wrong)
Don't see anything either. Does anyone know if it's advisable/necessary to write a separate essay for that page? I wouldn't be applying for any of the named/circumstance schollies, so it would be the leadership/diversity general one which I feel is covered in my regular PS and Why Berk statement. Leaning towards no, but curious for TLSer's thoughts.

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:10 pm

ErgoSum wrote:Hi everyone :D
Hi! Welcome

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:10 pm

lilith66 wrote:Booked my flights for ASW today!
Yay! I booked mine too! Did you vote in the poll?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sheishkabob

Bronze

Post by sheishkabob » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:31 pm

p89sean16 wrote:
sheishkabob wrote:Hey guys, question: do you know if there is a particular deadline to submit the scholarship interest essays on the ASW? There doesn't appear to be anything listed (correct me if I'm wrong)
Don't see anything either. Does anyone know if it's advisable/necessary to write a separate essay for that page? I wouldn't be applying for any of the named/circumstance schollies, so it would be the leadership/diversity general one which I feel is covered in my regular PS and Why Berk statement. Leaning towards no, but curious for TLSer's thoughts.
I'm interested in this as well. I think if you feel like you've already covered every aspect of possible diversity, remarkableness, etc., then it might be best to hold off. If there's a new angle you can take, then I would write the essays. I think having any extra pieces of writing that will allow them to get to know you better will help, especially if they're asking for them (albeit optionally)

Oskosh

Silver

Post by Oskosh » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:17 pm

I hope they tell us about fin aid soon. I'm a teacher atm, but have only done it for two years, and that salary is way below the cost of attendance Berkeley has for nonresidents. :p

strugglebus

Bronze

Post by strugglebus » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:23 pm

Oskosh wrote:I hope they tell us about fin aid soon. I'm a teacher atm, but have only done it for two years, and that salary is way below the cost of attendance Berkeley has for nonresidents. :p
Sounds like it won't be until March at the earliest.

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:17 am

strugglebus wrote:
Oskosh wrote:I hope they tell us about fin aid soon. I'm a teacher atm, but have only done it for two years, and that salary is way below the cost of attendance Berkeley has for nonresidents. :p
Sounds like it won't be until March at the earliest.
Hate to add to the scholarship questions, but did anyone's acceptance email have any mention of being considered for scholarships? I'm wondering if we are automatically considered or if we have to submit the interest form/additional essay.

Also received my acceptance packet yesterday--love the viewbook and materials!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

strugglebus

Bronze

Post by strugglebus » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:09 pm

BlueLaw11 wrote:Hate to add to the scholarship questions, but did anyone's acceptance email have any mention of being considered for scholarships? I'm wondering if we are automatically considered or if we have to submit the interest form/additional essay.
We're automatically considered; the interest form is just to tell them that you believe you qualify for one of the specific awards (e.g., there are scholarships listed for blind students, UC Berkeley athletes, and single parents, which might not have come out on your application).
Scholarship Interest Form wrote:All applications are reviewed for scholarship potential concurrent with review for admission. Submission of this form is not necessary to be considered for a Berkeley Law scholarship. All application materials are reviewed for possible scholarships at the time of review for admission.

Oskosh

Silver

Post by Oskosh » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:35 pm

Is Berkeley law really regionally limited? I've been having some anxiety about the price of law school (especially after finding out a roundtrip ticket to Cali from Texas is $800 :/), and I've seen mention of this. I wouldn't mind staying in the Bay Area, but I also can't predict that far into the future. What if I would like to return home?

Oh, the anxiety brought about by law school...

SlothManProphecy

New

Post by SlothManProphecy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:58 pm

Oskosh wrote:Is Berkeley law really regionally limited? I've been having some anxiety about the price of law school (especially after finding out a roundtrip ticket to Cali from Texas is $800 :/), and I've seen mention of this. I wouldn't mind staying in the Bay Area, but I also can't predict that far into the future. What if I would like to return home?

Oh, the anxiety brought about by law school...
Berkeley Law is definitely not regionally limited. Many students choose to stay in the Bay Area, but many are able to find work nationally if they so choose. I'm a 1L and I have friends that are working all over the country this summer.

However, I can't tell you whether the cost of attending law school is worth it. That's a personal decision that no one else can make for you. Good luck!

churrochi

New

Post by churrochi » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:55 pm

For all you out-of-towners, where are you planning to stay for ASW? I'm flying in with a parent (ignoring the judgment that may or may not come with this decision) and have been hearing that it's best to stay within a block of the campus for safety reasons. Am I better off renting a car + booking somewhere cheaper/safer or coughing up the extra $$$ for one of the more ritzy hotels? Also - how's the public transit over there? I'm from NYC, so very used to fast/efficient/crowded-therefore-reasonably-safe.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

everything_bagel

Bronze

Post by everything_bagel » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:35 am

churrochi wrote:For all you out-of-towners, where are you planning to stay for ASW? I'm flying in with a parent (ignoring the judgment that may or may not come with this decision) and have been hearing that it's best to stay within a block of the campus for safety reasons. Am I better off renting a car + booking somewhere cheaper/safer or coughing up the extra $$$ for one of the more ritzy hotels? Also - how's the public transit over there? I'm from NYC, so very used to fast/efficient/crowded-therefore-reasonably-safe.
wut

...I don't think this is a real concern.

churrochi

New

Post by churrochi » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:15 pm

everything_bagel wrote:
churrochi wrote:For all you out-of-towners, where are you planning to stay for ASW? I'm flying in with a parent (ignoring the judgment that may or may not come with this decision) and have been hearing that it's best to stay within a block of the campus for safety reasons. Am I better off renting a car + booking somewhere cheaper/safer or coughing up the extra $$$ for one of the more ritzy hotels? Also - how's the public transit over there? I'm from NYC, so very used to fast/efficient/crowded-therefore-reasonably-safe.
wut

...I don't think this is a real concern.
Yeah, I was under the impression that people online were either over-exaggerating and/or just not used to college towns/anything slightly urban, but I just wanted to make sure. My mother is really nervous about this kind of stuff from a past traumatic experience, so, it's a question I asked not so much for myself, but for her sake since I'm bringing her along. Appreciate the response.

ErgoSum

Bronze

Post by ErgoSum » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:54 pm

Getting ready to purchase my ticket to fly over for ASW... Excited :D

antiworldly

Bronze

Post by antiworldly » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:33 pm

Checking in, just got the acceptance email!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”