UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Which ASW events are you attending?

BJSA Welcome Event
No votes
FGP Welcome Dinner
34%
WOCC Dinner
16%
BHWA Happy Hour
9%
BJIL BBQ
6%
BTLJ Happy Hour
No votes
BJELL Happy Hour
No votes
AAPI Dinner
13%
MELSA Dinner
3%
La Raza Welcome
19%

Total votes: 32

papaya1991

New

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2018

Post by papaya1991 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:16 pm

I just got back from a visit too, and it was amazing! I actually stayed with my student host which made the whole trip super cheap too! And the 1Ls I talked to said that during ASW some of them stayed with student hosts as well so that might be an option for people freaking out about hotel costs. Also I wandered all over the place at night and it wasn't remotely scary. Yeah there are some homeless people but as long as you don't bother them they don't really bother you.

Tr3

Silver

Post by Tr3 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:57 pm

Just booked my flights for the ASW! Woohoo!

ZamboniTheGreat

New

Post by ZamboniTheGreat » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:47 pm

How long does it take to receive the access code to enter the admitted students' website?

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:59 pm

ZamboniTheGreat wrote:How long does it take to receive the access code to enter the admitted students' website?
It took about 5 days from my acceptance for me

ErgoSum

Bronze

Post by ErgoSum » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:44 pm

Getting increasingly excited as ASW creeps closer and closer :P

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:47 pm

ZamboniTheGreat wrote:How long does it take to receive the access code to enter the admitted students' website?
I was accepted in last Friday's wave and I don't have it yet either.

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:49 pm

leslieknope wrote:
See I said that, and then got the email with the access code an hour later. So, uh, check your email? :lol:

ZamboniTheGreat

New

Post by ZamboniTheGreat » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:03 pm

leslieknope wrote:
leslieknope wrote:
See I said that, and then got the email with the access code an hour later. So, uh, check your email? :lol:

I just saw! :D

paragonloop

Bronze

Post by paragonloop » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:26 pm

ErgoSum wrote:Getting increasingly excited as ASW creeps closer and closer :P
+1!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

motoman92

New

Post by motoman92 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:43 am

Just booked my flight and hotel! Arriving a day early and leaving late on the 14th. Will have ~1.5 days to explore the Bay Area :lol:

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:43 pm

papaya1991 wrote:I just got back from a visit too, and it was amazing! I actually stayed with my student host which made the whole trip super cheap too! And the 1Ls I talked to said that during ASW some of them stayed with student hosts as well so that might be an option for people freaking out about hotel costs. Also I wandered all over the place at night and it wasn't remotely scary. Yeah there are some homeless people but as long as you don't bother them they don't really bother you.
Thanks for the insight. I'll be at ASW! And perhaps I'll troll the streets too. Lol

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:43 pm

paragonloop wrote:
ErgoSum wrote:Getting increasingly excited as ASW creeps closer and closer :P
+1!
+1

ErgoSum

Bronze

Post by ErgoSum » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:02 pm

I'll be there from 11th - 17th. Want to do some exploring and look around for housing options. I just read through the ask a Boalt student thread - some pretty good things in there

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NutellaDipity

New

Post by NutellaDipity » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:36 pm

NOLAboy wrote:
leslieknope wrote:Anyone planning on staying past the 14th, btw? I haven't been up to the Bay since I was like 8 (bad Californian, I know), so I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay until Sunday night and spend the day in SF.
That's my plan precisely. I'm coming from New York so I'm trying to extend the trip as long as possible, so I'm aiming to be in SF Sat/Sun and leave Monday.
booked my tickets today! flying from nyc on wednesday morning and leaving sunday night. any hope to stay with a student host?

p.s. happy galentine's day, leslie :D

DiniMae

Silver

Post by DiniMae » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:10 pm

I reopened the poll since there are a bunch of new admits. Please vote!

antiworldly

Bronze

Post by antiworldly » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:50 pm

I wish I could attend the ASW, but I've got to proctor and grade an exam for the class I'm TAing that weekend, which is non-negotiable :( I wish I could make it out of this frozen hellscape for CA for a few days though . . .

Oskosh

Silver

Post by Oskosh » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:39 pm

If one is going to ASW, how does one get Berkeley to reimburse the $400? I still don't know whether I'm attending, but will come to a decision this week...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BlueLaw11

Bronze

Post by BlueLaw11 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:30 pm

Oskosh wrote:If one is going to ASW, how does one get Berkeley to reimburse the $400? I still don't know whether I'm attending, but will come to a decision this week...
I remember reading that they have a table at ASW where you can fill out the paperwork. I'd double check on the admitted students website though. Hope you can make it!

Oskosh

Silver

Post by Oskosh » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:49 pm

BlueLaw11 wrote:
Oskosh wrote:If one is going to ASW, how does one get Berkeley to reimburse the $400? I still don't know whether I'm attending, but will come to a decision this week...
I remember reading that they have a table at ASW where you can fill out the paperwork. I'd double check on the admitted students website though. Hope you can make it!
If it's pretty much guaranteed, it'd be awesome. I'm a teacher, so it's not a wonderful salary. I don't just have $400 lying around to make a trip to a law school... If they guarantee the reimbursement, I could fly out to the Oakland airport for ~$420 roundtrip.

tonysoprano

Bronze

Post by tonysoprano » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:51 am

Oskosh wrote:
BlueLaw11 wrote:
If it's pretty much guaranteed, it'd be awesome. I'm a teacher, so it's not a wonderful salary. I don't just have $400 lying around to make a trip to a law school... If they guarantee the reimbursement, I could fly out to the Oakland airport for ~$420 roundtrip.
Call them?

zaetoroftheprotoss

Bronze

Post by zaetoroftheprotoss » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:21 pm

Just wanted to throw this out there, but as I went to school in the Bay Area, I'm down to answer any questions people have about it / things to see in / around Berkeley.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Smoking Gunner

New

Post by Smoking Gunner » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:33 pm

zaetoroftheprotoss wrote:Just wanted to throw this out there, but as I went to school in the Bay Area, I'm down to answer any questions people have about it / things to see in / around Berkeley.
Hey, I'm gonna be in Berkeley for a day to visit, but unfortunately I can't make it to the ASW. Any suggestions for things to do besides a tour?

zaetoroftheprotoss

Bronze

Post by zaetoroftheprotoss » Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:55 pm

qwerty125 wrote:
zaetoroftheprotoss wrote:Just wanted to throw this out there, but as I went to school in the Bay Area, I'm down to answer any questions people have about it / things to see in / around Berkeley.
Hey, I'm gonna be in Berkeley for a day to visit, but unfortunately I can't make it to the ASW. Any suggestions for things to do besides a tour?
Hey sure!

Within the Berkeley area, there are a number of things to do:

1) Food - Depending on what you want to eat, there are a variety of great places. For pizza, you should check out Cheeseboard (on Shattuck Ave), its spin-off Sliver (on Central), or Zachary's (on College Ave). For ethnic cuisine, University Ave has a ton of great places including Brazil Cafe (amazing Brazilian cuisine).

2) Places to see: Botanical Gardens, the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab (they have one of the best views of the Bay Area), Cal's Campanile (the tower at the center of campus)

If you want to venture into Oakland, Jack London Square is a fun place as can be places around Lake Merritt.

Tr3

Silver

Post by Tr3 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:14 pm

Is there a 2018 fb group?

Smoking Gunner

New

Post by Smoking Gunner » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:23 pm

zaetoroftheprotoss wrote:
qwerty125 wrote:
Hey sure!

Within the Berkeley area, there are a number of things to do:

1) Food - Depending on what you want to eat, there are a variety of great places. For pizza, you should check out Cheeseboard (on Shattuck Ave), its spin-off Sliver (on Central), or Zachary's (on College Ave). For ethnic cuisine, University Ave has a ton of great places including Brazil Cafe (amazing Brazilian cuisine).

2) Places to see: Botanical Gardens, the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab (they have one of the best views of the Bay Area), Cal's Campanile (the tower at the center of campus)

If you want to venture into Oakland, Jack London Square is a fun place as can be places around Lake Merritt.
Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”