UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Which ASW events are you attending?

BJSA Welcome Event
No votes
FGP Welcome Dinner
34%
WOCC Dinner
16%
BHWA Happy Hour
9%
BJIL BBQ
6%
BTLJ Happy Hour
No votes
BJELL Happy Hour
No votes
AAPI Dinner
13%
MELSA Dinner
3%
La Raza Welcome
19%

Total votes: 32

sheishkabob

Bronze

Re: UC Berkeley (Boalt Hall) Law Class of 2018

Post by sheishkabob » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:07 pm

Hey guys, finally got in touch from financial aid via email, this is what they said:

"Financial aid award offers were made available to admitted students yesterday. You will need your CalNet ID and password to access your financial aid offer. To view your current offer, please click here.

Admitted students and the Financial Aid Office are notified about scholarship awarding from the Office of Admissions. Typically the admitted student is notified before the Financial Aid Office. Once we are notified of scholarship awards, we update the financial aid awards to reflect the scholarship. The financial aid offer is based on all the information we currently have. Admitted students are still be considered for Merit-Based and Matching Scholarships.

Our scholarship awards are made on a rolling basis. We anticipate that the majority of our scholarships will be offered by April 15th. After April 15th we will make additional scholarship offers based on funding availability."

slurpy

New

Post by slurpy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:15 pm

sheishkabob wrote:Hey guys, finally got in touch from financial aid via email, this is what they said:

"Financial aid award offers were made available to admitted students yesterday. You will need your CalNet ID and password to access your financial aid offer. To view your current offer, please click here.

Admitted students and the Financial Aid Office are notified about scholarship awarding from the Office of Admissions. Typically the admitted student is notified before the Financial Aid Office. Once we are notified of scholarship awards, we update the financial aid awards to reflect the scholarship. The financial aid offer is based on all the information we currently have. Admitted students are still be considered for Merit-Based and Matching Scholarships.

Our scholarship awards are made on a rolling basis. We anticipate that the majority of our scholarships will be offered by April 15th. After April 15th we will make additional scholarship offers based on funding availability."
They still haven't responded to my email from yesterday morning... this is all just leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. I don't understand why it's so difficult for Berk to do money distribution. I got my offers from other schools ages ago. And they couldn't be more opaque about this whole process. Releasing aid this way is seriously just inviting people to panic.

AriTheHuman

New

Post by AriTheHuman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:17 pm

Got the same email response to an email I sent them over a week ago.
And I totally agree. Why does their method require so much more time and stress?
Anyway, back to waiting...

sheishkabob

Bronze

Post by sheishkabob » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:20 pm

slurpy wrote:
sheishkabob wrote:Hey guys, finally got in touch from financial aid via email, this is what they said:

They still haven't responded to my email from yesterday morning... this is all just leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. I don't understand why it's so difficult for Berk to do money distribution. I got my offers from other schools ages ago. And they couldn't be more opaque about this whole process. Releasing aid this way is seriously just inviting people to panic.
I sent this email about a week ago, so I wouldn't worry on the lack of response, they're just behind. But I agree, super frustrating

Comma.Split

Bronze

Post by Comma.Split » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:02 pm

AriTheHuman wrote:Got the same email response to an email I sent them over a week ago.
And I totally agree. Why does their method require so much more time and stress?
Come on, guys. I know it is super stressful to wait, and we all want to put this cycle to bed by committing to Berkeley. However, they are really trying hard to divide up the money in the most efficient way. Think about it for a second. If someone decides not to go to Berk after being offered a scholly, the money goes back into the pile and is then offered to someone else. They are really trying to give away everything they got to people who are most committed to Berk. It is way better than sending a mass e-mail blast to everyone accepted based on some formula. What happens when a bunch of people don't accept? I personally never got an e-mail saying "applicant X rejected our offer, so here's more money for you, sir." It is just a different way of distributing financial aid - in my opinion, a better way.

On a separate note, I also got an e-mail confirming the receipt of my matching application. Although I submitted four or five days ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

slurpy

New

Post by slurpy » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:23 pm

Comma.Split wrote:
AriTheHuman wrote:Got the same email response to an email I sent them over a week ago.
Come on, guys. I know it is super stressful to wait, and we all want to put this cycle to bed by committing to Berkeley. However, they are really trying hard to divide up the money in the most efficient way. Think about it for a second. If someone decides not to go to Berk after being offered a scholly, the money goes back into the pile and is then offered to someone else. They are really trying to give away everything they got to people who are most committed to Berk. It is way better than sending a mass e-mail blast to everyone accepted based on some formula. What happens when a bunch of people don't accept? I personally never got an e-mail saying "applicant X rejected our offer, so here's more money for you, sir." It is just a different way of distributing financial aid - in my opinion, a better way.

On a separate note, I also got an e-mail confirming the receipt of my matching application. Although I submitted four or five days ago.
I get what you're saying. I just don't think it's acceptable to make students wait until June (after all other deposit deadlines) to let them know whether they have to borrow $300k to attend. Aside from that, something as simple as posting a note on BearFacts telling us that we are still being considered for matching would alleviate so much confusion.

AriTheHuman

New

Post by AriTheHuman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:24 pm

Exactly. It's the communication that is frustrating, not their reasoning and process. Please try to recognize how intensely stressful this process is. Our frustration is warranted.

indo

Bronze

Post by indo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:25 pm

AriTheHuman wrote:Exactly. It's the communication that is frustrating, not their reasoning and process. Please try to recognize how intensely stressful this process is. Our frustration is warranted.

+1 so true

taketwo

New

Post by taketwo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:44 am

I got no money from Berkeley, and no money from an equally-ranked/higher school. Can I just ask them straight up if they can please consider me for scholarships (I did submit a response for the optional merit scholarship form) because I would really love to go but I really can't finance it, and even any small amount of money would help. I've heard they don't give money unless you ask, right?

(yes I'm desperate. I also have no idea how this works.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JFO1833

Bronze

Post by JFO1833 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:58 am

I got no money from Berkeley, and no money from an equally-ranked/higher school. Can I just ask them straight up if they can please consider me for scholarships (I did submit a response for the optional merit scholarship form) because I would really love to go but I really can't finance it, and even any small amount of money would help. I've heard they don't give money unless you ask, right?

They may not be done issuing money yet.

There are three pools of money at Berkeley:

Matching - Fill out matching form -- you should do this if you have not yet (and have an offer to give to them)
Merit - Fill out scholarship interest form -- you did this
Need - Fill out FASFA and supplemental -- you should do this if you have not yet

I don't think there is anything else to do.

trynalaw123

Bronze

Post by trynalaw123 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:04 pm

JFO1833 wrote:

Matching - Fill out matching form -- you should do this if you have not yet (and have an offer to give to them)
Need - Fill out FASFA and supplemental -- you should do this if you have not yet

+1 once you do that you're in the same waiting boat as all of us, they know everyone wants a scholarship

taketwo

New

Post by taketwo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:32 pm

trynalaw123 wrote:
JFO1833 wrote:

+1 once you do that you're in the same waiting boat as all of us, they know everyone wants a scholarship
Thank you guys, I guess I've done everything I can!

Kharbooza

New

Post by Kharbooza » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:46 am

Hey guys - I wasn't able to go to ASW, and I don't foresee me being able to head out in the near future. What were your thoughts about the facilities? I'm speaking purely aesthetically here. Was it nice?

I know it's kind of a silly question, but I live in NYC and find CLS's facilities to be super dated.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:51 am

Kharbooza wrote:Hey guys - I wasn't able to go to ASW, and I don't foresee me being able to head out in the near future. What were your thoughts about the facilities? I'm speaking purely aesthetically here. Was it nice?

I know it's kind of a silly question, but I live in NYC and find CLS's facilities to be super dated.
I thought the building was a lot nicer than CLS. Definitely felt like it had been renovated more recently.

trynalaw123

Bronze

Post by trynalaw123 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:06 pm

middlebear wrote:
Kharbooza wrote:Hey guys - I wasn't able to go to ASW, and I don't foresee me being able to head out in the near future. What were your thoughts about the facilities? I'm speaking purely aesthetically here. Was it nice?

I thought the building was a lot nicer than CLS. Definitely felt like it had been renovated more recently.
Very modern, huge floor to ceiling windows in many areas, view of the golden gate bridge, seems very new and open but with a great variety of study and work spaces

middlebear

Silver

Post by middlebear » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:13 pm

trynalaw123 wrote:
middlebear wrote:

Very modern, huge floor to ceiling windows in many areas, view of the golden gate bridge, seems very new and open but with a great variety of study and work spaces
And a pretty awesome coffee shop/cafe :)

goldenbear92

New

Post by goldenbear92 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:55 pm

Any word from Berkeley regarding scholarships? Perhaps we won't hear back until after April 9 since that was the deadline for people to accept their offers during the 1s wave?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Comma.Split

Bronze

Post by Comma.Split » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:05 pm

goldenbear92 wrote:Any word from Berkeley regarding scholarships? Perhaps we won't hear back until after April 9 since that was the deadline for people to accept their offers during the 1s wave?
This would make sense. There were a couple of scholarships reported on LSN today, but idk how legit that is. Perhaps, people are just reporting it late. I am sure we will hear something next week.

LSCHI

Bronze

Post by LSCHI » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:11 pm

I received an email confirming a scholarship today. PM for details

savethewhales

New

Post by savethewhales » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:58 pm

For those that have received merit aid, are those emails coming from a specific person at Berkeley or just a generic financial aid / admits alias?

Barbaroix2

New

Post by Barbaroix2 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:31 am

Is anyone else starting to get worried about not hearing back before deadlines at other schools? I'm still considering UCLA and their deadline is next week.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

trynalaw123

Bronze

Post by trynalaw123 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:05 am

Barbaroix2 wrote:Is anyone else starting to get worried about not hearing back before deadlines at other schools? I'm still considering UCLA and their deadline is next week.
+1 yes, probably going to wait until the last minute and then deposit somewhere else but I really don't want to lose all that money

Barbaroix2

New

Post by Barbaroix2 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:36 am

trynalaw123 wrote:
Barbaroix2 wrote:Is anyone else starting to get worried about not hearing back before deadlines at other schools? I'm still considering UCLA and their deadline is next week.
+1 yes, probably going to wait until the last minute and then deposit somewhere else but I really don't want to lose all that money
If you deposit, don't you have to withdraw at other schools?

trynalaw123

Bronze

Post by trynalaw123 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:48 am

Barbaroix2 wrote:
trynalaw123 wrote:
If you deposit, don't you have to withdraw at other schools?
Well Berkeley has the "tentative" yes option until June, and I'm pretty sure most other schools allow double deposits unless they explicitly say they forbid them (as far as I understand, it would be good to know if I'm wrong haha)

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:55 am

you can double deposit unless you're accepting a scholarship with explicit conditions that you have to withdraw from other acceptances (and even then you can remain on waitlists and pending)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”