Texas Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Are you going to UT?

Definitely attending
23
74%
Most likely attending
4
13%
Only attending with an increase in scholarship
0
No votes
Probably not attending
0
No votes
Using UT as scholarship leverage
0
No votes
Not sure if attending law school this cycle
4
13%
 
Total votes: 31

celvreal
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby celvreal » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:22 pm

Is anyone considering cycling to class? Would this be a good idea while carrying around huge law books?

User avatar
cannibal ox
Posts: 2931
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby cannibal ox » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:32 pm

Plenty of people bike to and from school. You won't be carrying all 3 large casebooks home on a daily basis unless you're a really poor planner, and even if you are, putting all 3 casebooks in your backpack won't be too heavy to bike with.

User avatar
FairchildFLT
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:48 am

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby FairchildFLT » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:07 pm

Anyone hear anything from Vinson and Elkins yet? Some of us have emails that say we should hear by June 1st others have June 10th and I have one email saying each.

User avatar
EarthdogFred
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:36 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby EarthdogFred » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:46 pm

Venison and Elks?

User avatar
EarthdogFred
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:36 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby EarthdogFred » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:59 pm

Anyone ever noticed how when you drive by the Law School, it's extremely hard to get a good look at the building? There are a ton of strategically-positioned trees along the road. What are they hiding?

User avatar
cannibal ox
Posts: 2931
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby cannibal ox » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:02 pm

Along Dean Keeton? They're hiding the monstrosity that is the law library/Jones Hall.

User avatar
EarthdogFred
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:36 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby EarthdogFred » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:03 pm

Yeah, Dean Keeton, and I knew it. Monstrosity how?

User avatar
cannibal ox
Posts: 2931
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby cannibal ox » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:06 pm

Image

If this doesn't scream "you will die here" then I don't know what does.

User avatar
EarthdogFred
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:36 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby EarthdogFred » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:11 pm

I take it you've never been to Waco?

User avatar
Poldy
Posts: 917
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:17 am

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby Poldy » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:43 pm

Inside is somehow worse.

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5700
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby BVest » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:49 pm

RancidSumo wrote:Inside is somehow worse.


Yeah, the outside is the nice part.

BigZuck
Posts: 10870
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:25 am

BVest wrote:
RancidSumo wrote:Inside is somehow worse.


Yeah, the outside is the nice part.

We're still talking about Waco right?

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby El Principe » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:21 pm

EarthdogFred wrote:Anyone ever noticed how when you drive by the Law School, it's extremely hard to get a good look at the building? There are a ton of strategically-positioned trees along the road. What are they hiding?


Depressed law students

El Principe
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:10 am

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby El Principe » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:22 pm

celvreal wrote:Is anyone considering cycling to class? Would this be a good idea while carrying around huge law books?


Austin has terrible drivers, and I've been hit while riding before, so...

celvreal
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby celvreal » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:16 pm

El Principe wrote:
celvreal wrote:Is anyone considering cycling to class? Would this be a good idea while carrying around huge law books?


Austin has terrible drivers, and I've been hit while riding before, so...


That's terrible. I'm disconcerted with the whole parking situation. I know the San Jacinto parking garage is already packed so I was considering just cycling to class. Do you know what the commute time via UT shuttle is from the Red River area to the law school?

BigZuck
Posts: 10870
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:55 pm

celvreal wrote:
El Principe wrote:
celvreal wrote:Is anyone considering cycling to class? Would this be a good idea while carrying around huge law books?


Austin has terrible drivers, and I've been hit while riding before, so...


That's terrible. I'm disconcerted with the whole parking situation. I know the San Jacinto parking garage is already packed so I was considering just cycling to class. Do you know what the commute time via UT shuttle is from the Red River area to the law school?


Taking the Red River shuttle? Maybe like 10 minutes absolute worst case scenario.

"Red River area" might be something I dont know about though, apologies if so.

celvreal
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby celvreal » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:20 am

BigZuck wrote:
celvreal wrote:
El Principe wrote:
celvreal wrote:Is anyone considering cycling to class? Would this be a good idea while carrying around huge law books?


Austin has terrible drivers, and I've been hit while riding before, so...


That's terrible. I'm disconcerted with the whole parking situation. I know the San Jacinto parking garage is already packed so I was considering just cycling to class. Do you know what the commute time via UT shuttle is from the Red River area to the law school?


Taking the Red River shuttle? Maybe like 10 minutes absolute worst case scenario.

"Red River area" might be something I dont know about though, apologies if so.


Thanks! Yeah since San Jacinto is full, I don't think paying for another parking garage would be worth it. I could be wrong though.

User avatar
BVest
Posts: 5700
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby BVest » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:51 am

FWIW (and mind you, I came in as a transfer who had attended UT a few years prior, so I already had a UT EID), during the summer prior to starting, I was able to buy a MAG (Manor Garage) pass for the summer which allowed me to get on the waitlist for SJG. By the time I started (actually, by the time my OCI started), my number came up on the waitlist and I had SJG. It required me purchasing a summer permit (like $120, IIRC), but it was worth it to me.

I have no idea how much of my ability to do that was related to my prior attendance of UT (and thus having a full UT EID already), and therefore whether folks who have never attended UT could do that, but look into it if you want.

ETA: If you're wondering how long to commute by bus, including walking time, do Google Maps directions from your apartment to 727 E Dean Keeton and then click the bus. Then select what time you think you'd be leaving. It will tell you how long you'll have to walk to the bus stop, how long before the bus comes, how long the bus takes, and how long to walk to the law school. (It also let's you select from various bus routes. The 600 bus routes are the UT shuttles, but all bus routes are free with UT ID.

celvreal
Posts: 39
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby celvreal » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:30 pm

BVest wrote:FWIW (and mind you, I came in as a transfer who had attended UT a few years prior, so I already had a UT EID), during the summer prior to starting, I was able to buy a MAG (Manor Garage) pass for the summer which allowed me to get on the waitlist for SJG. By the time I started (actually, by the time my OCI started), my number came up on the waitlist and I had SJG. It required me purchasing a summer permit (like $120, IIRC), but it was worth it to me.

I have no idea how much of my ability to do that was related to my prior attendance of UT (and thus having a full UT EID already), and therefore whether folks who have never attended UT could do that, but look into it if you want.

ETA: If you're wondering how long to commute by bus, including walking time, do Google Maps directions from your apartment to 727 E Dean Keeton and then click the bus. Then select what time you think you'd be leaving. It will tell you how long you'll have to walk to the bus stop, how long before the bus comes, how long the bus takes, and how long to walk to the law school. (It also let's you select from various bus routes. The 600 bus routes are the UT shuttles, but all bus routes are free with UT ID.


It doesn't hurt to look into it. Thanks! I appreciate it.

User avatar
EarthdogFred
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:36 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby EarthdogFred » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:48 pm

1. Bike or take the free shuttle, if you live reasonably close.
2. Tell your parents or sugar momma you need $$ for parking.
3. Buy beers and drink them with that money.
4. ??
5. Profit

User avatar
Hikikomorist
Posts: 3106
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Jun 13, 2015 6:51 pm

.
Last edited by Hikikomorist on Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck
Posts: 10870
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby BigZuck » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:49 pm

Hikkomorist wrote:To all the current students viewing the thread: would you mind sharing what you did/are doing your 1L summer?

A decent-sized minority of the class works at big firms. Fair amount do judicial internships, some RA, some work in government like the Texas Attorney General's office, some work for public interest organizations.

It's pretty much the same as most other law schools, although there might be a higher percentage at firms than at most places just because a 1L SA is somewhat of a thing in TX.

User avatar
Hikikomorist
Posts: 3106
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:59 pm

.
Last edited by Hikikomorist on Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck
Posts: 10870
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:58 am

Hikkomorist wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Hikkomorist wrote:To all the current students viewing the thread: would you mind sharing what you did/are doing your 1L summer?

A decent-sized minority of the class works at big firms. Fair amount do judicial internships, some RA, some work in government like the Texas Attorney General's office, some work for public interest organizations.

It's pretty much the same as most other law schools, although there might be a higher percentage at firms than at most places just because a 1L SA is somewhat of a thing in TX.

Thanks! 1L SAs still pretty much determined by first-semester grades, right?

1L grades and possibly some other factors firms really desire (diversity, maybe relevant work experience, etc.)

Eta: and yes, 1L grades=first semester

User avatar
PN-G bamakid
Posts: 178
Joined: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:36 pm

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby PN-G bamakid » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:19 pm

cannibal ox wrote: [incredible explanation of UT 1L scheduling]


The level of awesomeness that you earned with this post is over 9,000.

So I understand this correctly, this indicates that different sections may take the same classes during different semesters, right? For example, we're all going to take LRW in the first semester of 1L, but one section may take Con Law in the Fall and Crim in the Spring, while the next section has it the opposite way around?




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: clshopeful and 1 guest