Texas Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Are you going to UT?

Definitely attending
74%
Most likely attending
13%
Only attending with an increase in scholarship
No votes
Probably not attending
No votes
Using UT as scholarship leverage
No votes
Not sure if attending law school this cycle
13%

Total votes: 31

FairchildFLT

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby FairchildFLT » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:38 pm

It was an invitation to apply to be a "Vinson & Elkins Law Preview Scholar."

bizzy531

Postby bizzy531 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:39 pm

BigZuck wrote:What'd it say?

FairchildFLT wrote:It was an invitation to apply to be a "Vinson & Elkins Law Preview Scholar."

It was basically an invitation to apply for a full scholarship for Law Preview, paid for by Vinson &Elkins.

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:49 pm

bizzy531 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:What'd it say?

FairchildFLT wrote:It was an invitation to apply to be a "Vinson & Elkins Law Preview Scholar."

It was basically an invitation to apply for a full scholarship for Law Preview, paid for by Vinson &Elkins.

I applied for the Dallas one. It would be a good opportunity to network with students at other law schools.

bigtex29

Postby bigtex29 » Fri May 08, 2015 9:39 pm

I am rising 3L, and I am happy to answer any questions y'all may have. I need a reason not to study for my last two finals.

nicefunguy

Postby nicefunguy » Wed May 13, 2015 10:50 am

bigtex29 wrote:I am rising 3L, and I am happy to answer any questions y'all may have. I need a reason not to study for my last two finals.

How early do you suggest we start worrying about 1l summer jobs?

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Wed May 13, 2015 11:37 am

nicefunguy wrote:
bigtex29 wrote:I am rising 3L, and I am happy to answer any questions y'all may have. I need a reason not to study for my last two finals.

Worrying about 1L summer would be about 50th on my list of things to worry about as a 1L; doesn't matter what you do your 1st summer as long as its legal. Yeah its great to land biglaw that 1st summer and get those $$$ but if you don't you'll still be fine. I guess if its April and you have nothing lined up you should start hustling.

bigtex29

Postby bigtex29 » Fri May 15, 2015 8:32 pm

StylinNProfilin wrote:
nicefunguy wrote:

Worrying about 1L summer would be about 50th on my list of things to worry about as a 1L; doesn't matter what you do your 1st summer as long as its legal. Yeah its great to land biglaw that 1st summer and get those $$$ but if you don't you'll still be fine. I guess if its April and you have nothing lined up you should start hustling.

I agree with Stylin'. To add to that, 1Ls are not allowed to even reach out to firms before Dec. 1st. So you should not be worried about it until after 1st semester grades come out or at least 1st semester finals. You may get big law interviews before you get your grades, but outside of the top ranked schools you will not get an offer until they see your first semester grades (there is the occasional outlier, but they are the exception, not the rule).

Like Stylin said, any work 1L summer will be fine. 2L OCI is where you get the big law internship/job. You would do yourself better in the long run by focusing on grades and doing well 1L than worrying about getting a job. Jobs usually follow grades.

ptz

Postby ptz » Tue May 19, 2015 1:17 pm

I've lived in the South Austin area for about 4 years, I assume this is not great for going to school. I have a dog so would prefer space or small duplex/house and would like to be as close as possible to school. Where's the best area? Hyde park?

EarthdogFred

Postby EarthdogFred » Tue May 19, 2015 2:27 pm

ptz wrote:I've lived in the South Austin area for about 4 years, I assume this is not great for going to school. I have a dog so would prefer space or small duplex/house and would like to be as close as possible to school. Where's the best area? Hyde park?

What are your budget constraints? I will be living in the North Campus area, about 5 blocks north of the Law School. Some people would call it Hyde Park, but in my view Hyde Park doesn't start until north of 38th Street. I picked this area because it seems ideal. The neighborhood is a good mix of graduate students, empty nesters and families, and it's an easy walk or bike to school. There are a couple neighborhood bars (Crown & Anchor, Posse East), a nice cheap 9-hole golf course (Hancock), and it's accessible to the drag without all the hubbub. It definitely is not the chaos of West Campus.

allentx

Postby allentx » Wed May 20, 2015 2:07 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for a one bedroom apartment in north campus/hyde park? One of my friends from undergrad was supposed to live with me here but that fell through so I need a place quick

celvreal

Postby celvreal » Fri May 22, 2015 6:31 pm

Hey y'all! I was just accepted off the waitlist today! I'm so excited! I just graduated today and Texas Law was my first choice! I'm excited to meet all of you this Fall! :D

Hikikomorist

Postby Hikikomorist » Sat May 23, 2015 12:29 pm

Last edited by Hikikomorist on Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

EarthdogFred

Postby EarthdogFred » Sat May 23, 2015 6:02 pm

celvreal wrote:Hey y'all! I was just accepted off the waitlist today! I'm so excited! I just graduated today and Texas Law was my first choice! I'm excited to meet all of you this Fall! :D

That was quick. Congrats! I was playing Golf today when a big storm rolled into Austin. I decided to seek refuge in a local joint and grab a beer. I saw quite a few law school grads pouring in straight from the Sunflower Ceremony in their rain-soaked suits and dresses :D That will be us in 3 years, hopefully sans the rain-soaked part.

celvreal

Postby celvreal » Mon May 25, 2015 11:43 am

EarthdogFred wrote:
celvreal wrote:Hey y'all! I was just accepted off the waitlist today! I'm so excited! I just graduated today and Texas Law was my first choice! I'm excited to meet all of you this Fall! :D

That was quick. Congrats! I was playing Golf today when a big storm rolled into Austin. I decided to seek refuge in a local joint and grab a beer. I saw quite a few law school grads pouring in straight from the Sunflower Ceremony in their rain-soaked suits and dresses :D That will be us in 3 years, hopefully sans the rain-soaked part.

I know! I can't believe it! SO ready for this! I love the idea of the Sunflower Ceremony, it's so beautiful!

Random question: Do they sell Texas Law t-shirts? I was looking at the co-op website and only found Texas Law coffee mugs (which makes sense considering the amount of coffee we'll need in law school), but couldn't find any t-shirts.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon May 25, 2015 11:46 am

celvreal wrote:
EarthdogFred wrote:

I know! I can't believe it! SO ready for this! I love the idea of the Sunflower Ceremony, it's so beautiful!

Random question: Do they sell Texas Law t-shirts? I was looking at the co-op website and only found Texas Law coffee mugs (which makes sense considering the amount of coffee we'll need in law school), but couldn't find any t-shirts.

There's quite a few. No UT law student's wardrobe is complete without a Law Horns t-shirt.

celvreal

Postby celvreal » Mon May 25, 2015 12:00 pm

BigZuck wrote:
celvreal wrote:
EarthdogFred wrote:

There's quite a few. No UT law student's wardrobe is complete without a Law Horns t-shirt.

Agreed! I will have to get one when I go apartment hunting in Austin.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Mon May 25, 2015 12:31 pm

celvreal wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
celvreal wrote:
EarthdogFred wrote:

The co-op across the street from the law school has a ton of UT law stuff

celvreal

Postby celvreal » Mon May 25, 2015 6:12 pm

BigZuck wrote:
celvreal wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
celvreal wrote:
EarthdogFred wrote:

Good to know. Thanks!

ellewoods817

Postby ellewoods817 » Mon May 25, 2015 10:12 pm

celvreal wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
celvreal wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
celvreal wrote:
EarthdogFred wrote:

Good to know. Thanks!

Does the law school give out the law-horn shirts? I was in Austin two weeks ago, and there weren't any at the co-op!

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon May 25, 2015 11:01 pm

[Ninja Ox]

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Mon May 25, 2015 11:04 pm

[illiterate ox]

DJ JD

Postby DJ JD » Tue May 26, 2015 1:12 am

nicefunguy wrote:

Note: TL;DR provided at the bottom if you don't feel like reading.

I'm going to go against the status quo and say, work on summer jobs well before Dec. 1 (applies to big law hiring). I think the sweet spot is to have an idea of what firms you want to hit and what practice areas you want to target early, preferably immediately after you get settled in (~1–4 weeks; I got settled fast, others didn't) but before you should really start to get busy (mid-October–Finals).

The reason I say get it done early is because a cover letters are a bitch, and look, honestly, most people don't read them, and the people that read them apparently don't read them, but you have to do them, and having them done well before December 1 will be very relaxing while a good amount of your fellow 1Ls will be running around with their hair on fire. It takes a surprising amount of time to right one generic sentence about a firm's strength, make sure you didn't mention another firm's name, typo check, and make sure they actually have the practice group(s) you mentioned. Come Dec. 1, all you'll have to do is fill in blanks, attach files, and click send; you'll spend finals time studying and winter break actually relaxing.

Also, CSO, though helpful, isn't really in touch with what employers want for resumes, so take advantage of those receptions, network with people you hit it off with, and have them critique your resume and mention them in your cover letter/when you send off materials (if via email).

If you somehow fail to do that ahead of time, big firms will still hire all the way up until February, and I got my offers pretty late, but it's free market on jobs before then and some people will have offers before finals are even over, so you're only helping yourself by getting it done ahead of time. More spots open only helps you.

People are right that not having a big law job will in no way hurt you at OCI, but honestly, having a 1L SA now has only helped me refine practice areas. If I end up working elsewhere, I now know what firms to shoot for. Imagine bidding heavy on the biggest M&A firms, and you get in and you actually hate that work. Then you'd have to foot it as a 3L and pray for a hail mary through mass-mailing. After working with a couple of different departments so far, let's just say something like this would have happened had I not had an opportunity to work at a firm after my first year.

TL;DR: You'll still be able to get a job if you wait until after finals to apply, but you're better served applying early. If you don't get a big law job 1L, you're fine; but try to anyways because the exposure to practice is invaluable.

DJ JD

Postby DJ JD » Tue May 26, 2015 1:24 am

ellewoods817 wrote:Does the law school give out the law-horn shirts? I was in Austin two weeks ago, and there weren't any at the co-op!

Nope. Gotta buy it at the coop. Maybe they weren't in stock? Ask the lady next time. She's really really nice. Well all of the staff are. But yeah, just ask.

Tuxedo

Postby Tuxedo » Tue May 26, 2015 8:02 pm

Checking in. Checked out of TLS for a while after getting into UT.

Lived here 8 years. PM with questions--hoping to be a resource for folks if anyone needs someone in town already.

loverofwineandpie

Postby loverofwineandpie » Tue May 26, 2015 9:29 pm

Hi everyone! Checking in after following this thread for a while.

I'm interested in finding a roommate (or roommates) for the fall. I'm female and would prefer a female roommate, very neat, and hoping to live as affordably and close to campus as I can. PM me if interested.

Excited about joining everyone in the fall!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”