Texas Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Are you going to UT?

Definitely attending
74%
Most likely attending
13%
Only attending with an increase in scholarship
No votes
Probably not attending
No votes
Using UT as scholarship leverage
No votes
Not sure if attending law school this cycle
13%

Total votes: 31

BrazilBandit

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Postby BrazilBandit » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:09 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
BrazilBandit wrote:Everything is bigger in Texas, including scholarships! Just awarded 75K + Non-Resident Tuition Exemption for a total award of $ 122,000. I have never been so excited my whole entire life.

Congrats! Was this through matching or your initial offer?

Initial offer!

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:10 pm

BrazilBandit wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:
BrazilBandit wrote:Everything is bigger in Texas, including scholarships! Just awarded 75K + Non-Resident Tuition Exemption for a total award of $ 122,000. I have never been so excited my whole entire life.

Initial offer!

Oh, jeez. This was through email right?

Now I'm going to be refreshing my email all day.

BrazilBandit

Postby BrazilBandit » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:15 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
BrazilBandit wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:

Initial offer!

Oh, jeez. This was through email right?

Now I'm going to be refreshing my email all day.

Correct!

Itstatertot

Postby Itstatertot » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:22 pm

Congrats that's amazing!!! Would love to hear stats as we'll and when you were admitted.

xc326

Postby xc326 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:55 pm

For anyone who's looking for an apartment here in Austin, I'm looking for someone to take over my lease and all of my furniture. I've posted it on craigslist -- http://austin.craigslist.org/apa/4935357033.html . I don't go on tls often, so if you're interested, please reply via craigslist. Thanks!

mpvarelasisley

Postby mpvarelasisley » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:22 pm

Have any of y'all started looking at housing yet, or are you just going to wait to look for housing when it gets closer? I've been looking online for 3 hours and haven't had much success in finding affordable places to live online + places that allow a dog (I have a 6 month-old puppy that I just can't imagine giving away) :|

Possibly going to ASW, but it's looking like I'll make the April 10th one because of school.

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:18 am

mpvarelasisley wrote:Have any of y'all started looking at housing yet, or are you just going to wait to look for housing when it gets closer? I've been looking online for 3 hours and haven't had much success in finding affordable places to live online + places that allow a dog (I have a 6 month-old puppy that I just can't imagine giving away) :|

Possibly going to ASW, but it's looking like I'll make the April 10th one because of school.

I have. I'm looking to buy a house either east or west of campus. I've read that it's a better commute that way.

mpvarelasisley

Postby mpvarelasisley » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:28 am

FairchildFLT wrote:
mpvarelasisley wrote:Have any of y'all started looking at housing yet, or are you just going to wait to look for housing when it gets closer? I've been looking online for 3 hours and haven't had much success in finding affordable places to live online + places that allow a dog (I have a 6 month-old puppy that I just can't imagine giving away) :|

I have. I'm looking to buy a house either east or west of campus. I've read that it's a better commute that way.

I'd rather buy a house as well. What website are you suing to search for houses?

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:41 am

mpvarelasisley wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:

I'd rather buy a house as well. What website are you suing to search for houses?

I've been using Trulia to get a feel for what is available in my price range.

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:04 am

I found a few affordable 3BR for rent north of campus close the the MetroRapid lines. Through craigs. Preliminary search. Thought about buying but 150,000 in tuition debt plus 300,000 mortgage is not appealing.

FairchildFLT

Postby FairchildFLT » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:37 am

IsThisForReal wrote:I found a few affordable 3BR for rent north of campus close the the MetroRapid lines. Through craigs. Preliminary search. Thought about buying but 150,000 in tuition debt plus 300,000 mortgage is not appealing.

Yeah we're looking at 3+ bed 2+ bath. It would be nice to have the 4th bedroom so I can have an office. I think it'll be a good opportunity to build some equity.

mpvarelasisley

Postby mpvarelasisley » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:57 am

FairchildFLT wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:I found a few affordable 3BR for rent north of campus close the the MetroRapid lines. Through craigs. Preliminary search. Thought about buying but 150,000 in tuition debt plus 300,000 mortgage is not appealing.

Yeah we're looking at 3+ bed 2+ bath. It would be nice to have the 4th bedroom so I can have an office. I think it'll be a good opportunity to build some equity.

I agree...I figure that I'm going to be paying that much in rent anyway, so I might as well start putting to something that will someday be mine. Who knows though, I might completely change my mind.

Thanks for bringing up the MetroRapid lines though! I'd totally forgotten about them and it definitely opened up the areas that I'm looking in

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:08 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:

Unless you have a lot of money, you shouldn't spend too much time looking west of campus. Neighborhoods west of campus are, in order:
West Campus (You don't want to live there)
Pemberton Heights/West Enfield (Austin's old old money)
Tarrytown (Austin's newer old money)
West Lake Hills (Austin's expensive suburb)
It's affordable once you get past Rob Roy (new new money) to the Cuernavaca area (aka Billy Bob Roy), but that's too far out relative to what you could get in other directions.

Here's a heat map.

mpvarelasisley

Postby mpvarelasisley » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:25 pm

BVest wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:

Unless you have a lot of money, you shouldn't spend too much time looking west of campus. Neighborhoods west of campus are, in order:
West Campus (You don't want to live there)
Pemberton Heights/West Enfield (Austin's old old money)
Tarrytown (Austin's newer old money)
West Lake Hills (Austin's expensive suburb)
It's affordable once you get past Rob Roy (new new money) to the Cuernavaca area (aka Billy Bob Roy), but that's too far out relative to what you could get in other directions.

[url=<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.trulia.com/home_prices/Texas/Austin-heat_map/]Here's" class="vglnk"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>trulia</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>home</span><span>_</span><span>prices</span><span>/</span><span>Texas</span><span>/</span><span>Austin</span><span>-</span><span>heat</span><span>_</span><span>map</span><span>/]</span><span>Here</span><span>'</span><span>s</span></a> a heat map.[/url]

If that's west, what do you suggest in terms of going east or north?

BVest

Postby BVest » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:39 pm

For buying North, I'd look to North Loop area, Hancock, Brentwood. For more money, Hyde Park and Hancock. North and slightly east: Mueller.

Bubbles1012

Postby Bubbles1012 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:38 pm

Hi!
I saw something in the acceptance, denial thread about a group lunch during ASW, so wanted to check in in regards to that.
On another note, ASW overlaps with the Honk! festival and I will be performing there with my band from New Orleans. If anyone is staying through the weekend and looking for something fun to do after ASW we will be playing at a club on sixth street Thursday night, by South Congress street Friday night, and we will also have shows Saturday and Sunday afternoons. We are a super fun Afro Brazilian group with dancers, horns, drummers, etc. we are called Batebunda, which means spank that ass in Portuguese, so as I am sure you can imagine lots of booty shaking tends to accompany our performances.

IsThisForReal

Postby IsThisForReal » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:50 pm

Oooh fun! I will def be sticking around.

OP, can we get that lunch restaurant poll now?

ETA: I'm so glad you told us about that festival! That looks really cool.

Bubbles1012

Postby Bubbles1012 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:09 pm

:)
And here is the event page for the Thursday night party
https://m.facebook.com/events/401568766691635

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:20 am

Bubbles1012 wrote:Hi!
I saw something in the acceptance, denial thread about a group lunch during ASW, so wanted to check in in regards to that.
On another note, ASW overlaps with the Honk! festival and I will be performing there with my band from New Orleans. If anyone is staying through the weekend and looking for something fun to do after ASW we will be playing at a club on sixth street Thursday night, by South Congress street Friday night, and we will also have shows Saturday and Sunday afternoons. We are a super fun Afro Brazilian group with dancers, horns, drummers, etc. we are called Batebunda, which means spank that ass in Portuguese, so as I am sure you can imagine lots of booty shaking tends to accompany our performances.

This sounds awesome!!

ScottPilgrimv.TheLaw

Postby ScottPilgrimv.TheLaw » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:38 am

Bubbles1012 wrote:Hi!

Checking in as admit and going to ASW. Batebunda sounds epic! And I'd love to know the details on Thursday lunch.

App'ed 2/20 -> Admitted vía Phone 3/16 -> $$$ vía email 3/18. (UT undergrad)

ellewoods817

Postby ellewoods817 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:58 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:Oooh fun! I will def be sticking around.

OP, can we get that lunch restaurant poll now?

ETA: I'm so glad you told us about that festival! That looks really cool.

Lunch restaurant poll coming up!

ETA: Can we get another head count for the segway tours/times to update the OP? I think we have a few new people that aren't counted in the existing post!

Attax

Postby Attax » Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:57 pm

Mueller is hot right now. I know I plan to move there next year. It is a great place, from my experience with it.

lawschool1741

Postby lawschool1741 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:48 am

Attax wrote:Mueller is hot right now. I know I plan to move there next year. It is a great place, from my experience with it.

Is Mueller a exception to the East Side hate?

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:30 am

so...what's the plan for the noon segway group?

Lawgirl101

Postby Lawgirl101 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:33 am

does anyone know what the dress is for ASD?

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”