Texas Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Are you going to UT?

Definitely attending
76%
Most likely attending
12%
Only attending with an increase in scholarship
No votes
Probably not attending
No votes
Using UT as scholarship leverage
No votes
Not sure if attending law school this cycle
12%

Total votes: 33

IsThisForReal

Gold

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Post by IsThisForReal » Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:12 am

:lol: :lol: Segway tours are on the schedule for ASD
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ellewoods817

Bronze

Post by ellewoods817 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:00 pm

I put up a poll for ASW! I'm planning on going on Friday, but I have an exam and presentation on Thursday, so I'll miss the segway tour :(

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:36 pm

IsThisForReal wrote::lol: :lol: Segway tours are on the schedule for ASD
Excited!

idissent

Bronze

Post by idissent » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:22 pm

Checking in! Wasn't really considering ASW because I live in TX and can visit whenever, but segway tours are rly tempting.

ellewoods817

Bronze

Post by ellewoods817 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:27 pm

idissent wrote:Checking in! Wasn't really considering ASW because I live in TX and can visit whenever, but segway tours are rly tempting.
I'm in Waco, and was planning on going just because of the segway tours, then I realized that I have a presentation and midterm that thursday afternoon :roll: I've been cursing my K-JD status and UT's Thursday-Friday admitted students "weekend" ever since

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:34 pm

ellewoods817 wrote:
idissent wrote:Checking in! Wasn't really considering ASW because I live in TX and can visit whenever, but segway tours are rly tempting.
I'm in Waco, and was planning on going just because of the segway tours, then I realized that I have a presentation and midterm that thursday afternoon :roll: I've been cursing my K-JD status and UT's Thursday-Friday admitted students "weekend" ever since
Could you come just for Friday? You should ask.

I'm basically hoping to find some possible roommates at ASW, don't know if this is misguided or not.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

ellewoods817

Bronze

Post by ellewoods817 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:48 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
ellewoods817 wrote:
Could you come just for Friday? You should ask.

I'm basically hoping to find some possible roommates at ASW, don't know if this is misguided or not.
That's what I'm planning on, I'll probably drive down early Friday morning. I'm just hoping to meet people too, finding roommates would probably be a good idea, but I haven't decided if I'm going to live alone yet or not! Registration opens March 3(?), so I'll get ahold of them after that about going down on Friday.

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:52 pm

I can't afford to live alone. And I definitely need a little testosterone is whatever apt/house I end up in, and I have a dog.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:57 pm

Is anyone else planning on buying a house? I figure it will be better than renting for three years. Build up a little equity as well...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ellewoods817

Bronze

Post by ellewoods817 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:02 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:I can't afford to live alone. And I definitely need a little testosterone is whatever apt/house I end up in, and I have a dog.
My parents want me to live alone :roll: But they're willing to finance a single apartment, so I can't really complain! What kind of dog do you have? I really want to get one, but I don't think I'll have enough time to devote to it during 1L

ellewoods817

Bronze

Post by ellewoods817 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:03 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:Is anyone else planning on buying a house? I figure it will be better than renting for three years. Build up a little equity as well...
Not planning on it, but from what I remember of the area surrounding the law school campus, there are mostly houses within the really close walking distance!

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:05 pm

She's a German Shorthaired Pointer. And I wouldn't have gotten her if I knew I'd be going back to school full time. But I've had her for over a year now, got her when I graduated UG and got a job.

FairchildFLT

Bronze

Post by FairchildFLT » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:35 pm

ellewoods817 wrote:
FairchildFLT wrote:Is anyone else planning on buying a house? I figure it will be better than renting for three years. Build up a little equity as well...
Not planning on it, but from what I remember of the area surrounding the law school campus, there are mostly houses within the really close walking distance!
Yeah I've been looking at three beds three baths all over Austin. I wouldn't mind a drive either.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whosinthehousejc

Bronze

Post by whosinthehousejc » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:54 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:
ellewoods817 wrote:
Yeah I've been looking at three beds three baths all over Austin. I wouldn't mind a drive either.
Definitely considering it.

ellewoods817

Bronze

Post by ellewoods817 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:56 pm

FairchildFLT wrote:
ellewoods817 wrote:
I wouldn't mind the drive, but parking sounds like it's rough if you aren't there by 8

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:00 pm

A few things to consider:

Housing around campus, definitely look into the Cherrywood neighborhood for houses. North campus/Hyde Park is nice, but often going to be more expensive and more UGs than family neighborhoods.

You'll want to avoid west campus, just trust me.

Living a bit away is fine, just go W/E not N/S unless you want to double or triple your commute time. Austin has one of the worst commutes in the nation, so don't do that to yourself 1L year (or ever, really). East is kind of sketchy, west is nice, but there are good places east as well. I wouldn't live more north than 51st or more south than 15th/Enfield.

Avoid Riverside/Oltorf area. It has been doing some nice things recently, but still isn't the best part of town.

Regarding pets:

I did not get one the first semester of 1L and am very glad I didn't. I wanted a dog, but didn't get one. I recently got one and feel much more adjusted to the law school atmosphere/lifestyle to be able to balance it all 2nd semester of 1L. I would definitely wait if you are considering a pet. If you already have them, I doubt it will be a large difference, but if not then I'd wait.

ASW:

Come, see if you can get out of tests/exams. Many profs expect that senior year, so they may allow you to do it. I'd really recommend it, as ASW is pretty fun and a good way to see some of the school. I'll also let you all know where bar review is that Thursday so that you can attend (if you're 21+).

ellewoods817

Bronze

Post by ellewoods817 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:01 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:She's a German Shorthaired Pointer. And I wouldn't have gotten her if I knew I'd be going back to school full time. But I've had her for over a year now, got her when I graduated UG and got a job.
Sounds tough! Hopefully you'll manage to find a house with a backyard for her to play in!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:01 pm

Oh, and Austin is super dog friendly.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:02 pm

Why am I thinking that the segway tour was only for out of staters last year? Is that right?

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:03 pm

cannibal ox wrote:Why am I thinking that the segway tour was only for out of staters last year? Is that right?
I think I had the option of registering for it.

ellewoods817

Bronze

Post by ellewoods817 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:05 pm

Attax wrote:A few things to consider:

Housing around campus, definitely look into the Cherrywood neighborhood for houses. North campus/Hyde Park is nice, but often going to be more expensive and more UGs than family neighborhoods.

ASW:

Come, see if you can get out of tests/exams. Many profs expect that senior year, so they may allow you to do it. I'd really recommend it, as ASW is pretty fun and a good way to see some of the school. I'll also let you all know where bar review is that Thursday so that you can attend (if you're 21+).
Thank you for the advice, I'll definitely do my best to reschedule and make it on Thursday! Also, what are some good apartments that are a decent commute, in your opinion?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:07 pm

A lot of the apartments near the law school are through property management. I'd contact a property management co./realtor for preleasing (which I'd suggest doing soon, as near campus stuff goes fast this time of year). I have recommendations, if you PM me I'll send you who I've used for multiple years and have been satisfied (I promise I don't get paid from them). But also Post in West Austin, The Triangle, and The Bungalows are pretty popular among law students.

cannibal ox

Gold

Post by cannibal ox » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:08 pm

Attax wrote:
cannibal ox wrote:Why am I thinking that the segway tour was only for out of staters last year? Is that right?
I think I had the option of registering for it.
Class of 2016 it was only for visiting students. My b. Sorry if I scared any segway obsessed 0Ls.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:18 pm

Attax wrote:I'll also let you all know where bar review is that Thursday so that you can attend (if you're 21+).
:D

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:22 pm

Attax wrote:A few things to consider:

You'll want to avoid west campus, just trust me.

Living a bit away is fine, just go W/E not N/S unless you want to double or triple your commute time. Austin has one of the worst commutes in the nation, so don't do that to yourself 1L year (or ever, really). East is kind of sketchy, west is nice, but there are good places east as well. I wouldn't live more north than 51st or more south than 15th/Enfield.

Avoid Riverside/Oltorf area. It has been doing some nice things recently, but still isn't the best part of town.
At what point do you hit west instead of "west campus"?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”