Texas Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Are you going to UT?

Definitely attending
76%
Most likely attending
12%
Only attending with an increase in scholarship
No votes
Probably not attending
No votes
Using UT as scholarship leverage
No votes
Not sure if attending law school this cycle
12%

Total votes: 33

lawschool1741

Bronze

Re: Texas Class of 2018

Post by lawschool1741 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:49 pm

cannibal ox wrote:If the financial aid sessions are anything like the guest speaker they put on for 1Ls, then avoid at all costs.
Fair enough. Just intrigued by the 'this year'...

ellewoods817

Bronze

Post by ellewoods817 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:45 pm

I added the UT law graduate taking questions thread to the OP, if anyone needs it!

ellewoods817

Bronze

Post by ellewoods817 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:49 pm

Shelbinole wrote:
lokikoala wrote:
ellewoods817 wrote:
The University of Texas School of Law offers a limited scholarship matching program for admitted students. Through this program, the scholarship committee will review merit scholarship offers exclusively from peer law schools upon request.

The committee will consider the out-of-pocket tuition and fees expense a student will incur after taking the respective scholarship offer(s) into consideration, and overall competitiveness of the admitted student. The scholarship committee reserves the right to decline to offer or increase our previous scholarship.

The scholarship committee will consider one matching scholarship request per admitted student. However, an admitted student may submit multiple offers at one time. Once the committee has made a decision, students will be notified in writing.

Thanks!
what schools are considered "peers?"
Also wondering who would be considered a "peer", I just got my scholarship from WUSTL today, so I'm wondering if I could use that to negotiate?

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:04 pm

ellewoods817 wrote:
Also wondering who would be considered a "peer", I just got my scholarship from WUSTL today, so I'm wondering if I could use that to negotiate?
From the WUSTL thread:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:Take this advice with a grain of salt everyone because I am a fellow 0L, but TCR for "is x a peer school to WUSTLUT" is "why not try". Just wait until you have your strongest competing offer and take that to wustlUT. It will do you no harm to try with any school, just make sure you have your strongest offer on the table before you begin negotiation
Just remember you can only ask once.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool1741

Bronze

Post by lawschool1741 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:14 pm

ellewoods817 wrote: Also wondering who would be considered a "peer", I just got my scholarship from WUSTL today, so I'm wondering if I could use that to negotiate?
There have been posts where people used a fully at WUSTL and managed a small ($2k or so) bump, if any at all.

Not sure who they consider peers though (I've heard even a fully at UCLA doesn't make them bump much).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschool1741

Bronze

Post by lawschool1741 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:16 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:
ellewoods817 wrote:
From the WUSTL thread:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:Take this advice with a grain of salt everyone because I am a fellow 0L, but TCR for "is x a peer school to WUSTLUT" is "why not try". Just wait until you have your strongest competing offer and take that to wustlUT. It will do you no harm to try with any school, just make sure you have your strongest offer on the table before you begin negotiation
Just remember you can only ask once.
Agree you should definitely try to get all final and best offers before starting with UT, but I know of at least one person who got two bumps through multiple negotiations. Not saying to rely on this but it's at least possible.

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:18 pm

lawschool1741 wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote: Just remember you can only ask once.
Agree you should definitely try to get all final and best offers before starting with UT, but I know of at least one person who got two bumps through multiple negotiations. Not saying to rely on this but it's at least possible.
Oh, that's good to know.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Bronze

Post by AnonymousAlterEgoC » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:05 pm

lawschool1741 wrote:
ellewoods817 wrote: Also wondering who would be considered a "peer", I just got my scholarship from WUSTL today, so I'm wondering if I could use that to negotiate?
There have been posts where people used a fully at WUSTL and managed a small ($2k or so) bump, if any at all.

Not sure who they consider peers though (I've heard even a fully at UCLA doesn't make them bump much).
UT's idea of a peer is T14, but there are several instances of them nearly matching schools ranked much lower. This is especially true when the original offer was low for the numbers. As said above, try to negotiate with other schools first.

Attax

Gold

Post by Attax » Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:19 am

lawschool1741 wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:Just got the email about ASD, it says "Financial aid advising appointments, which we strongly recommend this year". Kinda tempted to email back and ask if I'm really gonna gain anything in 15 minutes that I don't already know.

Also really frustrated that UT refuses to give me a travel stipend and all the schools I'm forgoing visiting that weekend have offered me one.
Was wondering this too - is it recommended because finances are important for all law students or recommended because it might end up helping our negotiation efforts...so, if you do ask, please share :)

ETA: Attax, did you attend this fin aid advising appointment? what were you thoughts?
I did, but I was in a special situation that I wanted to verify.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ellewoods817

Bronze

Post by ellewoods817 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:14 pm

Does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to get Texas residency? I'm just finishing up my undergrad at another university in Texas and would really like to take advantage of the in state tuition at UT, but I'm not sure how the residence thing works.

Itstatertot

Bronze

Post by Itstatertot » Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:16 pm

Hi guys! Checking in. Debating ASW at the moment because flights are outrageous and I was not offered a travel stipend and yet to hear back about $. Anyone coming from LA that found a decent flight? I'm wondering if it's worth to come another weekend just because of cost? Would love to hear thoughts of anyone that might in a similar situation, or have any advice.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:25 pm

ellewoods817 wrote:Does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to get Texas residency? I'm just finishing up my undergrad at another university in Texas and would really like to take advantage of the in state tuition at UT, but I'm not sure how the residence thing works.
You can't do it and be class of 2018. Stick around after you finish undergrad, but do not enroll in another school. Make it your permanent address (e.g. pay your taxes from here, get your credit cards and bank statements here, etc). Get a job or marry a Texan. Even start a business. Do that for a year.

As a non-resident who came here initially for school, you're presumed to be a non-resident. You have to generate evidence to overcome that presumption.

http://www.collegeforalltexans.com/inde ... 75E7367718
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawschool1741

Bronze

Post by lawschool1741 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:15 pm

Does anyone know the best time to start looking for apts? I hear the market moves really fast so I don't want to miss out on something.

Also, it sounds like Hyde Park/North Campus is the unanimous best place. Is this the best value though? Seems like prices can get pretty high near campus. Would it not be better to live farther out and use the bus system?

ETA: hows the commute from farther West Austin, like Tarrytown?
Last edited by lawschool1741 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:25 pm

lawschool1741 wrote:Does anyone know the best time to start looking for apts? I hear the market moves really fast so I don't want to miss out on something.

Also, it sounds like Hyde Park/North Campus is the unanimous best place. Is this the best value though? Seems like prices can get pretty high near campus. Would it not be better to live farther out and use the bus system?
I live further and use the bus/train system and definitely get more bang for my buck, but there's definitely tradeoffs as well. It takes at least half an hour to get to/from school so it's not that convenient to just go to the library for a couple hours. Stuff like that.

I locked my place up in May and moved in in July IIRC

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:26 pm

lawschool1741 wrote:Does anyone know the best time to start looking for apts? I hear the market moves really fast so I don't want to miss out on something.

What I read from the UT students answering questions thread made it sound like the bus system is horribly unreliable.

Also there was mention of driving in, buying a pass to a nearby garage and parking there. Is this still a viable option?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... &start=350
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:32 pm

IsThisForReal wrote:

What I read from the UT students answering questions thread made it sound like the bus system is horribly unreliable.

Also there was mention of driving in, buying a pass to a nearby garage and parking there. Is this still a viable option?

Guess it depends on your definition of reliable. I've never been late because of the transit system. But I also wouldn't expect a bus that is supposed to be at a stop at 1:33 to be there exactly at 1:33 either. Never thought about it before but maybe I've just never been in a city with reliable public transportation.

You can get a pass to the nearby garage. It's stoopid expensive and I don't do it but its all just funny money anyway so lots of people cop it.

idissent

Bronze

Post by idissent » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:36 pm

It depends on the line. You could probably go pretty far north (the Triangle and further) pretty conveniently because the 801 rapid is amazing, but if you're further east or west, it may be a little more iffy.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:39 pm

BigZuck wrote:
IsThisForReal wrote:

Guess it depends on your definition of reliable. I've never been late because of the transit system. But I also wouldn't expect a bus that is supposed to be at a stop at 1:33 to be there exactly at 1:33 either. Never thought about it before but maybe I've just never been in a city with reliable public transportation.

You can get a pass to the nearby garage. It's stoopid expensive and I don't do it but its all just funny money anyway so lots of people cop it.
I guess the difference might be the length of the routes. It's good to hear that it's never made you late though.

At my UG the bus system was awesome and the routes were short enough that there was a bus every 10 minutes and you got to campus in about 10 minutes, so you didn't need to worry about the "schedule". Also you could see them GPS tracked on the app so you knew when you needed to leave your house.
Last edited by IsThisForReal on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:41 pm

idissent wrote:It depends on the line. You could probably go pretty far north (the Triangle and further) pretty conveniently because the 801 rapid is amazing, but if you're further east or west, it may be a little more iffy.
Yeah, the triangle and further north applies to me so my experience might not be typical

lawschool1741

Bronze

Post by lawschool1741 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:50 pm

idissent wrote:It depends on the line. You could probably go pretty far north (the Triangle and further) pretty conveniently because the 801 rapid is amazing, but if you're further east or west, it may be a little more iffy.
The line looks like it drops off right at the corner of campus, is this a far walk from the LS and other facilities (ie gym)?

IsThisForReal

Gold

Post by IsThisForReal » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:53 pm

What's the best way to find housing?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:05 pm

lawschool1741 wrote:
The line looks like it drops off right at the corner of campus, is this a far walk from the LS and other facilities (ie gym)?
I take a shuttle from that corner to the law school's corner. That's part of what makes it take 30 mins+: 2 buses

idissent

Bronze

Post by idissent » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:22 pm

BigZuck wrote:
lawschool1741 wrote:
I take a shuttle from that corner to the law school's corner. That's part of what makes it take 30 mins+: 2 buses
+1 And the shuttles are generally really convenient and reliable.

BVest

Platinum

Post by BVest » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:13 pm

I'll second that the buses and shuttles are great. Some of the buses I find to be very good and go through neighborhoods are the 5 and 7.

Also note that the UT shuttles that go to certain further-flung neighborhoods don't make any stops until they get to campus after a certain point.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

absolutely

New

Post by absolutely » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:10 pm

Does anybody know what a typical first/second semester 1L schedule looks like at UT? I'm looking at living in South Austin (around Franklin Park area) and am wondering if I would be able to go to school on light traffic times. Also, is this area generally recommendable? Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”