Northwestern Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Expected loan debt at graduation?

$0
15%
Under $50k
5%
$50k - $75k
13%
$75k - $100k
13%
$100k - $125k
10%
$125k - $150k
15%
$150k - $175k
8%
$175k - $200k
No votes
$200k - $225k
13%
$225k - $250k+
8%

Total votes: 39

ILoveYou

Re: Northwestern Class of 2018

Postby ILoveYou » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:41 pm

trynalaw123 wrote:Thanks guys! Did you guys get the vibe that the student body was still very close and friendly despite having a lot of older students that may not participate in outside activities as much (i.e. bar review, social activities)? As someone who is on the young side, it's important to me to have close bonds with my peers.

I definitely got this vibe, confirmed by every current student I spoke to. I'm also on the young side for NU and made a point of asking everyone I talked to about the culture and friendliness of the student body overall. No one had a negative word to say.

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:53 pm

omegaday1500 wrote:
OhBoyOhBortles wrote:1. Negative. A lot of people eagerly awaiting too though. I assume we'll hear back relatively soon.
2. We were told that because they are available both 2l and 3l, and the way the bidding system works, that if you got the pre-reqs out of the way asap, and bid properly, it was very likely that you would get one of your top-choice clinics. I don't think we were provided with exact statistics to back that up though. Can anyone else add to that/confirm?

In reference to the clinic question, I remember someone saying that if prioritize getting into a specific clinic, you are almost guaranteed the chance to get into that clinic. Overall the weekend was a great chance to see the law school. The people I met all seem motivated,genuine and approachable. While the current student volunteers encouraged you to attend Northwestern, they also gave you honest pros and cons of Northwestern. My visit cemented my choice and I will be attending!

Thanks!! Mind sharing some of the cons?

keosu11

Postby keosu11 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:54 pm

I was unable to attend ASW. Did they talk about where most 1Ls lived? Pretty sure I'm going to be attending in the fall/moving in August and want to start figuring out locations.

BlueLaw11

Postby BlueLaw11 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:56 pm

trynalaw123 wrote:Thanks guys! Did you guys get the vibe that the student body was still very close and friendly despite having a lot of older students that may not participate in outside activities as much (i.e. bar review, social activities)? As someone who is on the young side, it's important to me to have close bonds with my peers.

Similar to what ILoveYou said, multiple students spoke about the community feel despite the different ages/big city. It was also confirmed that the social events are heavily attended by 1Ls and other students as well. I'm on the younger side myself so feel free to PM me with any further questions

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:09 pm

keosu11 wrote:I was unable to attend ASW. Did they talk about where most 1Ls lived? Pretty sure I'm going to be attending in the fall/moving in August and want to start figuring out locations.

Yeah, a lot live in Streeterville, the neighborhood the school is in, but people seemed to live sort of all over the city. I didn't go on the Streeterville housing tour 'cause I don't plan to live there, but there are a number of buildings that house a lot of NU law and med students. I'd say Streeterville was the most common neighborhood, but by no means did a majority of the students I talked to live there.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:19 pm

ILoveYou wrote:
keosu11 wrote:I was unable to attend ASW. Did they talk about where most 1Ls lived? Pretty sure I'm going to be attending in the fall/moving in August and want to start figuring out locations.

Yeah, a lot live in Streeterville, the neighborhood the school is in, but people seemed to live sort of all over the city. I didn't go on the Streeterville housing tour 'cause I don't plan to live there, but there are a number of buildings that house a lot of NU law and med students. I'd say Streeterville was the most common neighborhood, but by no means did a majority of the students I talked to live there.

streeterville, lakeview, lincoln park, and even wrigleyville. basically anything along the red line.

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:30 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
streeterville, lakeview, lincoln park, and even wrigleyville. basically anything along the red line.

Yeah, a lot seemed to be in gold coast too. I really liked the buena park area personally. It's a little farther out, but on the red line and only a ~20 to 30 minute commute.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:03 pm

hearsay77 wrote:
omegaday1500 wrote:
OhBoyOhBortles wrote:1. Negative. A lot of people eagerly awaiting too though. I assume we'll hear back relatively soon.
2. We were told that because they are available both 2l and 3l, and the way the bidding system works, that if you got the pre-reqs out of the way asap, and bid properly, it was very likely that you would get one of your top-choice clinics. I don't think we were provided with exact statistics to back that up though. Can anyone else add to that/confirm?

In reference to the clinic question, I remember someone saying that if prioritize getting into a specific clinic, you are almost guaranteed the chance to get into that clinic. Overall the weekend was a great chance to see the law school. The people I met all seem motivated,genuine and approachable. While the current student volunteers encouraged you to attend Northwestern, they also gave you honest pros and cons of Northwestern. My visit cemented my choice and I will be attending!

I'd encourage you guys to chime in with some of the questions in the 1L/2L/3L thread where more people will see it and answer.

On the clinic stuff: Some clinics go for a lot of points, but most of them you can get, even as a 2L if you bid all your points or almost all your points. I don't know anyone who was locked out of clinics entirely. And the number of extremely popular ones that go for huge points is really limited and will vary year to year.

Some of the more consistently popular ones, that i'm aware of, are the Complex Civil Litigation and Investor Protection clinic, and the Supreme Court Clinic. But even this might not cause you to max out points. Our scotus clinic only went for like 1000 points this year (i think). You get 3000 as a 2L and more as a 3L.

ETA: Really hope everyone had a good time at ASW. I've definitely been very happy with my decision to come to Northwestern, but theres definitely not one right answer for everybody. Hope to see you all in the fall!

omegaday1500

Postby omegaday1500 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:22 pm

hearsay77 wrote:
omegaday1500 wrote:

The cons that current students shared with me varied with the person I was talking to at the time. One student told me a con was not being closer to the main campus and having that sense of a collective community with the main campus. Though that may be a pro for others because they want to be in the heart of Chicago. Another con I heard was the cost of living is really high especially for apartments. Also while NU does place very well in Chicago, there is still some competition for Chicago jobs due to the number of law schools in Chicago/Illinois. Although NU's main competition is UChicago, Loyola, U of Illinois, Depaul and John Marshall are also in Illinois. Also the Legal Writing class is graded on a curve so it is very competitive even though it is not worth a lot of credits. The cons will vary by the person you talk to so definitely reach out to some more current students to get a better assessment of the cons.

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:35 pm

Just withdrew and put some $$ back on the table - good luck to everyone!

scorneli

Postby scorneli » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:20 pm

Current NU student, and just thought I'd add my two cents in case it helps anyone make a more informed decision.

Pros:

-I prefer being away from the main campus. No one needs little rascal freshmen running around everywhere. They are wide-eyed and tiny; that would be stressful. The distance also helps cement the law school's unique sense of community, I think.
-The people. Most people I've met here are genuine and caring. I can only speak for 1L year, but there's a very pervasive "we're all in this together" attitude. This is a nice thing.
-All the school-organized events with free alcohol.
-All the student events with alcohol. Bar reviews are generally well-attended, and I would say there is a healthy mix of all three years present.
-The city. I live in Lakeview, on the north side. It's far cheaper and I enjoy it much more than I would living in Streeterville because when I go home, I'm "home." I like a good 20 minute commute. It builds character.

Cons:

-I'll echo what was said before re: graded CLR. Kinda sucks.

Hope this helps.

secadc11

Postby secadc11 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:26 am

Anyone have any insight as to when we can expect to hear responses to scholarship reconsideration requests? It's really getting down to the wire with other schools and I'm starting to get a bit stressed... hoping for the next day or so!

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:33 am

I tried to ask yesterday but the only answer I was given was that they're hoping to have reconsiderations finished and sent out by the end of April. I'm also really hoping to hear back today or tomorrow. Don't know if we should hold our breath though...

secadc11

Postby secadc11 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:34 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:I tried to ask yesterday but the only answer I was given was that they're hoping to have reconsiderations finished and sent out by the end of April. I'm also really hoping to hear back today or tomorrow. Don't know if we should hold our breath though...

Ugh.

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:36 pm

secadc11 wrote:
OhBoyOhBortles wrote:I tried to ask yesterday but the only answer I was given was that they're hoping to have reconsiderations finished and sent out by the end of April. I'm also really hoping to hear back today or tomorrow. Don't know if we should hold our breath though...

Ugh.

When I submitted mine last week I asked how long it would take to hear back because I have an april 15 deadline (TOMORROW), and they said I'd hear back before that but haven't heard anything either :(

rkspurs21

Postby rkspurs21 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:37 pm

ASW was awesome. Loved the feeling I got from the current students and the rest of the admits, the building is beautiful, and Streeterville blows but Chicago is dope. Prob going here unless my hometown school backs up the truck for me.

Just an FYI, NU's class of 2014 employment data went live on their site since the last time I checked pre-ASW. Good stuff: More federal clerkships, most numbers held about the same but with fewer business jobs. Big law numbers declined ever so slightly, but not angling for that anyway. 47% of all grads got big law, 56% in firms of 100+ attorneys.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/profess ... y_2014.pdf

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:28 pm

rkspurs21 wrote:ASW was awesome. Loved the feeling I got from the current students and the rest of the admits, the building is beautiful, and Streeterville blows but Chicago is dope. Prob going here unless my hometown school backs up the truck for me.

Just an FYI, NU's class of 2014 employment data went live on their site since the last time I checked pre-ASW. Good stuff: More federal clerkships, most numbers held about the same but with fewer business jobs. Big law numbers declined ever so slightly, but not angling for that anyway. 47% of all grads got big law, 56% in firms of 100+ attorneys.

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/profess ... y_2014.pdf

Sweet, thanks for the link!

Phattypattyfrost

Postby Phattypattyfrost » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:49 pm

"Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, Cristina told me that the scholarship committee won't be looking at scholarship reconsiderations until tomorrow. So if you have deposit deadlines coming up, you may want to ask for extensions." - Realized that I posted this in the wrong group. Hopefully this is more helpful here.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:11 pm

Big law numbers declined ever so slightly, but not angling for that anyway.

tbf: need to add BigLaw and Fed Clerkships. While Big Law may have gone down, it looks like clerkships are up. (And those who chose to clerk would have easily be competitive for BL.)

lalalalawyer

Postby lalalalawyer » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:21 pm

Phattypattyfrost wrote:"Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, Cristina told me that the scholarship committee won't be looking at scholarship reconsiderations until tomorrow. So if you have deposit deadlines coming up, you may want to ask for extensions." - Realized that I posted this in the wrong group. Hopefully this is more helpful here.

I called admissions today and was told they were shooting for the end of the week and tomorrow would be unlikely.

Dog

Postby Dog » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:11 am

Yeah 27 federal clerkships is definitely a bump over previous years. BL + FC at ~65% is solid. 22 went into business, if you don't count JD/MBAs that number would probably be closer to 70%.

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:12 am

Dog wrote:Yeah 27 federal clerkships is definitely a bump over previous years. BL + FC at ~65% is solid. 22 went into business, if you don't count JD/MBAs that number would probably be closer to 70%.

Yeah, remove the JD-MBAs from both the numerator and denominator and you get BL + FC at 67.9% (184/271). Fed Clerks alone at 10% (27/271). That's using the 101+ firm size for BL.

Also, the 8 people who ended up in the 51-100 person firms have a 25-50-75th percentile salary of $150k-$155k-$160k, so those certainly look like good outcomes as well (and tend to be harder to get). Adding them to the above would get you to 70.8%.

The JD-MBAs inflate business percentages, but depress law firm and clerkship percentages (Not one clerk in 5 years of JD-MBA data). They do well though. Other than 1 person who is not seeking a job, the c/o 2014's twenty JD-MBA graduates all make over $100k.

JD detailed numbers (includes JD-MBAs): http://www.law.northwestern.edu/profess ... /stats/jd/
JD-MBA only numbers: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/profess ... ts/jd-mba/

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:14 pm

lalalalawyer wrote:
Phattypattyfrost wrote:"Just wanted to give everyone a heads up, Cristina told me that the scholarship committee won't be looking at scholarship reconsiderations until tomorrow. So if you have deposit deadlines coming up, you may want to ask for extensions." - Realized that I posted this in the wrong group. Hopefully this is more helpful here.

I called admissions today and was told they were shooting for the end of the week and tomorrow would be unlikely.

I called yesterday and someone transferred me to someone else and I left a voicemail and never heard back. sigh.

djdral

Postby djdral » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:29 pm

I asked this morning whether there was any chance I could expect an answer today and was given a resounding "No."

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:31 pm

djdral wrote:I asked this morning whether there was any chance I could expect an answer today and was given a resounding "No."

Thanks for trying and keeping us posted!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”