Northwestern Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Expected loan debt at graduation?

$0
15%
Under $50k
5%
$50k - $75k
13%
$75k - $100k
13%
$100k - $125k
10%
$125k - $150k
15%
$150k - $175k
8%
$175k - $200k
No votes
$200k - $225k
13%
$225k - $250k+
8%

Total votes: 39

ILoveYou

Re: Northwestern Class of 2018

Postby ILoveYou » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:48 pm

Dog wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:too lazy to research - do they offer travel stipends for ASW?

I think it's $250 but you have to be flying in from 400+ miles away or something.

As for the polar plunge leverage... imagine if NU had an event where the 0L who stayed submerged up to their neck in Lake Michigan the longest got a full ride scholarship. Seems like a fun, totally safe promotion.

Correct on the $250, don't know what I was thinking before :oops: , and it's 600+ miles. Link.

AnyoneLived

Postby AnyoneLived » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:42 pm

ILoveYou wrote:
Dog wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:too lazy to research - do they offer travel stipends for ASW?

I think it's $250 but you have to be flying in from 400+ miles away or something.

As for the polar plunge leverage... imagine if NU had an event where the 0L who stayed submerged up to their neck in Lake Michigan the longest got a full ride scholarship. Seems like a fun, totally safe promotion.

Correct on the $250, don't know what I was thinking before :oops: , and it's 600+ miles. Link.

Regarding their stipend... I called and asked if they refunded (e.g., we'll return you your money for the plane ticket. So if your plane ticket is $180.00, we'll give you $180.00), or a stipend (you will get $250.00 regardless). The answer was totally bizarre. They said they would try to get us refunded, but that they can't guarantee the total stipend, because they'll cover each plane ticket and then see what's left over. So we *could* get the whole $250.00, or we could get the plane ticket covered and nothing else, no way of knowing.

So, that's weird.

Bird Lawyer

Postby Bird Lawyer » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:46 pm

AnyoneLived wrote:
ILoveYou wrote:
Dog wrote:

Regarding their stipend... I called and asked if they refunded (e.g., we'll return you your money for the plane ticket. So if your plane ticket is $180.00, we'll give you $180.00), or a stipend (you will get $250.00 regardless). The answer was totally bizarre. They said they would try to get us refunded, but that they can't guarantee the total stipend, because they'll cover each plane ticket and then see what's left over. So we *could* get the whole $250.00, or we could get the plane ticket covered and nothing else, no way of knowing.

So, that's weird.

Why is that weird?

secadc11

Postby secadc11 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:29 pm

Has anyone attempted to negotiate? Anyone been successful?

LoganCouture

Postby LoganCouture » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:30 pm

AnyoneLived wrote:
ILoveYou wrote:
Dog wrote:

So, that's weird.

Wish my plane ticket was less than $250... #CAproblems

Dog

Postby Dog » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:48 pm

Right? I live less than 300 miles away and plane tickets would cost more than $250 for me.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:19 am

secadc11 wrote:Has anyone attempted to negotiate? Anyone been successful?

Per a conversation yesterday with an individual in the admissions office, they'll be reviewing scholarship reconsideration requests throughout next week. There are a few of us who I know have tried; I don't think we'll hear back until after ASW. I could be wrong. Maybe they let us know on Thursday.

Heads up: If you are going to try to negotiate there is a form you'll need to fill out, one part of which is another short Why NU essay.

secadc11

Postby secadc11 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:26 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:

Per a conversation yesterday with an individual in the admissions office, they'll be reviewing scholarship reconsideration requests throughout next week. There are a few of us who I know have tried; I don't think we'll hear back until after ASW. I could be wrong. Maybe they let us know on Thursday.

Heads up: If you are going to try to negotiate there is a form you'll need to fill out, one part of which is another short Why NU essay.

Thanks for the heads-up!

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:58 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:Heads up: If you are going to try to negotiate there is a form you'll need to fill out, one part of which is another short Why NU essay.

Jesus, they really want us to kiss some ass on this, huh? If you count the PS, that's like the 4th "Why NU" thing you'll have sent in!

NutellaDipity

Postby NutellaDipity » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:56 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:

do we get the form by emailing the initial ask? or is downloadable?

masterherm

Postby masterherm » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:01 am

You get it from the initial ask

AnyoneLived

Postby AnyoneLived » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:24 am

Bird Lawyer wrote:
Why is that weird?

Not super weird, more like "so that's a slight oddity worth mentioning."

Specifically, it mattered to me because I was weighing options: fly directly into Chicago (expensive plane ticket at/near the stipend cap) and have minimal other expenses, or fly into a different hub, take a combination of amtrak/metra to get there and back, toss a friend some gas money, and pay about 2/3 the total cost of the direct flight. Obviously I'd prefer the latter under a stipend because it's cheaper and the inconvenience doesn't bother me. If they're only refunding tickets though, then the first option leaves me with no out of pocket expenses, the second costs me almost $100.

I just thought it was worth mentioning because they're the only school I've seen approach it that way. It's better than a straight plane ticket refund, but it also leaves me with a lot of uncertainty.

AnyoneLived

Postby AnyoneLived » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:29 am

Dog wrote:Right? I live less than 300 miles away and plane tickets would cost more than $250 for me.

I live near a big hub and fly Spirit :)

The real tickets are usually around $200-250, but I am a neurotic discount fare checker. I found a crazy, pocket change flight into a hub near Chicago and was hoping to snatch that one, but it would end up being more out of pocket for me to do so than to fly into Chicago.

Late Game

Postby Late Game » Thu Apr 02, 2015 3:30 pm

All these essays are a form of practical education. Accustomed to jumping through hoops for those you pay, think how happily you'll jump through them for those that pay you.

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:07 pm

Late Game wrote:All these essays are a form of practical education. Accustomed to jumping through hoops for those you pay, think how happily you'll jump through them for those that pay you.

Dark.

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:24 pm

Last year's thread doesn't give a good timeline, but it seems NU likes to take their sweet time regarding scholarship reconsideration. Both Cornell and GULC got back to me in a week.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:53 am

Alright Chicago-natives/current residents (looking at you, Dog), I promised the SO we'd get some deep dish while we're there this weekend. Google recommends Giordano's (also, conveniently located to the law school). Should I trust that recommendation? Are there better places I should look into instead?

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:48 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:Alright Chicago-natives/current residents (looking at you, Dog), I promised the SO we'd get some deep dish while we're there this weekend. Google recommends Giordano's (also, conveniently located to the law school). Should I trust that recommendation? Are there better places I should look into instead?

Not a native, but trust that recommendation. Giordano's is top-notch, and the location is great, right off a blue line stop near a ton of fun/cool stuff.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:52 am

Awesome! Thanks, ILY!

suppy183

Postby suppy183 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:17 pm

ILoveYou wrote:
OhBoyOhBortles wrote:Alright Chicago-natives/current residents (looking at you, Dog), I promised the SO we'd get some deep dish while we're there this weekend. Google recommends Giordano's (also, conveniently located to the law school). Should I trust that recommendation? Are there better places I should look into instead?

Not a native, but trust that recommendation. Giordano's is top-notch, and the location is great, right off a blue line stop near a ton of fun/cool stuff.

Giordanos is decent, but I think Lou Malnatis is better, and Pequods is great (though I'm not sure if they're technically Chicago style).

WhatCouldHaveBeen

Postby WhatCouldHaveBeen » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:28 pm

Lou Malnatis is classic, a must-try. Gino's East is also delicious.

Does anyone have more info on ASW other than the minimally-detailed ASW page on the admitted students website. For instance, the below is a paste of the Friday schedule, but I don't even see locations, eg to register? Just show up at the Admissions Office?

I know I could call but it's more fun to ask all of you!! Also, any dress code considerations? I'm already accepted so I feel like NU should be dressing to impress me, not vice-versa, and that I should be able to wear my 2007 Rex Grossman Bears jersey if I want.

Friday, April 10
Admitted Students Weekend
9 - 3:00 pm Registration
9:15 - 9:55 am Breakfast available
10 am Welcome Remarks
10:30 am Opportunities in the Bluhm Legal Clinic
12:00 pm Lunch with Current Students
A Hospitality Suite with snacks and beverages will be available in the Admissions Office from 1:30 - 5:00 pm.
1:30 pm Sit-In on Classes
3:10 pm Financial Aid
4:00 pm Choose one:
Student-Guided Tour of the Law School or
StudentSpace Guided Tour of Streeterville Housing Options
Note: Luggage/coat check closes at 5:00 pm and will not re-open until Saturday morning at 9:00 am.
5:30 pm Dinner
7:30 pm Wigmore Follies
This annual event is a student-run spoof of the Law School’s idiosyncrasies. Reception in the
Atrium at 7:30 pm. Show begins at 8:00 pm. Admitted students should present a picture ID at the
Will Call booth for complimentary admission to the show.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:44 pm

I appreciate all the responses, seems like I'll be checking out Lou Malnati's!

WhatCouldHaveBeen wrote:Lou Malnatis is classic, a must-try. Gino's East is also delicious.

Does anyone have more info on ASW other than the minimally-detailed ASW page on the admitted students website. For instance, the below is a paste of the Friday schedule, but I don't even see locations, eg to register? Just show up at the Admissions Office?

I know I could call but it's more fun to ask all of you!! Also, any dress code considerations? I'm already accepted so I feel like NU should be dressing to impress me, not vice-versa, and that I should be able to wear my 2007 Rex Grossman Bears jersey if I want.

Friday, April 10
Admitted Students Weekend
9 - 3:00 pm Registration
9:15 - 9:55 am Breakfast available
10 am Welcome Remarks
10:30 am Opportunities in the Bluhm Legal Clinic
12:00 pm Lunch with Current Students
A Hospitality Suite with snacks and beverages will be available in the Admissions Office from 1:30 - 5:00 pm.
1:30 pm Sit-In on Classes
3:10 pm Financial Aid
4:00 pm Choose one:
Student-Guided Tour of the Law School or
StudentSpace Guided Tour of Streeterville Housing Options
Note: Luggage/coat check closes at 5:00 pm and will not re-open until Saturday morning at 9:00 am.
5:30 pm Dinner
7:30 pm Wigmore Follies
This annual event is a student-run spoof of the Law School’s idiosyncrasies. Reception in the
Atrium at 7:30 pm. Show begins at 8:00 pm. Admitted students should present a picture ID at the
Will Call booth for complimentary admission to the show.

I assume they'll have signs directing us where to be once we're at the law school. Or different representatives whose job it is to get us pointed in the right direction.

As for dress- I'm still in negotiations with them so I'm thinking business casual. Show NW that they should want me, while also trying to not come across as a gunner. That said, I think the 2007 Grossman jersey is a good GREAT call.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:26 pm

Thought that survey email was going to be a scholarship reconsideration response at first.

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:27 pm

Anyone hear back on scholarship reconsideration/negotiation requests yet? I know they were at admitted student events last week but I thought we could expect to hear back this week.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:54 pm

hearsay77 wrote:Anyone hear back on scholarship reconsideration/negotiation requests yet? I know they were at admitted student events last week but I thought we could expect to hear back this week.

Negative, and what led you to believe we'd hear back this week? I haven't really had my hopes up, but if you've heard something I'm gonna stop watching cat videos at work and start refreshing my email every 3 minutes at work.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”