Northwestern Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Expected loan debt at graduation?

$0
15%
Under $50k
5%
$50k - $75k
13%
$75k - $100k
13%
$100k - $125k
10%
$125k - $150k
15%
$150k - $175k
8%
$175k - $200k
No votes
$200k - $225k
13%
$225k - $250k+
8%

Total votes: 39

Mullens

Re: Northwestern Class of 2018

Postby Mullens » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:52 pm

Phattypattyfrost wrote:Does anyone know the dollar amount of scholarships one would expect from Northwestern if they are a non-ED applicant (I believe they call them 'grants' but they are synonymous with being scholarships)?

This is highly dependent on your numbers, how much admissions likes you as an applicant, your negotiation with other scholarship offers, and other, unknown factors. Some people get $0 and the grants go up to the Wigmore Scholarship, which I believe includes living expenses. I know people who have gotten $150,000 and $165,000 as non-ED candidates.

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:56 pm

Finally checking in. Pumped to law with y'all!

DiniMae

Postby DiniMae » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:58 pm

I'M IN! I'M IN! I'M IN! I'M IN! I've been accepted to the AJD program!!!!!!! WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:03 pm

DiniMae wrote:I'M IN! I'M IN! I'M IN! I'M IN! I've been accepted to the AJD program!!!!!!! WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!

Congrats! Hopefully this means we'll see more people getting their decisions soon.

DiniMae

Postby DiniMae » Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:42 am

ILoveYou wrote:
DiniMae wrote:I'M IN! I'M IN! I'M IN! I'M IN! I've been accepted to the AJD program!!!!!!! WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!

Congrats! Hopefully this means we'll see more people getting their decisions soon.

Thank you. I also checked in on the AJD C/o 18 thread.

Witsme

Postby Witsme » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:07 am

New to the forum, checking in as well ...IN for AJD

DiniMae

Postby DiniMae » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:50 am

Witsme wrote:New to the forum, checking in as well ...IN for AJD

There's an AJD one a few threads down if you want to check in there also.

scorneli

Postby scorneli » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:20 pm

2015_Splitter wrote:
Wildcats17 wrote:Welcome! Class of 2017 ED here, feel free to ask any questions!

What are some things you wish you had known about Northwestern before starting? About law school in general?

Looking back would you do your 1L differently and in what ways?

Law school in general was not remotely as terrible as I thought it would be. Sure, it is a lot of hard work and the competitive nature of law school can be a mental and spiritual drain at times. But still there is much to enjoy, and great people are easy to come by here.

Personally, I wish I had found an outline for my classes (from the same professor, of course) and followed them through while I took notes in class. While I do recommend ultimately creating your own outline, starting about halfway through the semester I used old outlines in class to supplement my own note taking. Generally, my professors taught their classes lecture-for-lecture the same as years prior, and thus having an old outline to look at really helped me get a general idea of what I should be taking away from the class. Was great shit.

And while I was no stranger at bar review first semester, I would've drank moar.

omegaday1500

Postby omegaday1500 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:08 pm

Does anyone know a good month to secure a place to live? Especially those who are current 1L's or 2L's?

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:18 pm

omegaday1500 wrote:Does anyone know a good month to secure a place to live? Especially those who are current 1L's or 2L's?

I got mine mid august. I know people who started looking mid august. you're fine as long as you start looking at least a day before school starts.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:20 pm

Does anyone know what summer funding is available for PI, and if it's guaranteed/likely? I can't quite tell by digging around the website.

2015_Splitter

Postby 2015_Splitter » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:36 pm

scorneli wrote:
2015_Splitter wrote:
Wildcats17 wrote:Welcome! Class of 2017 ED here, feel free to ask any questions!

What are some things you wish you had known about Northwestern before starting? About law school in general?

Looking back would you do your 1L differently and in what ways?

Law school in general was not remotely as terrible as I thought it would be. Sure, it is a lot of hard work and the competitive nature of law school can be a mental and spiritual drain at times. But still there is much to enjoy, and great people are easy to come by here.

Personally, I wish I had found an outline for my classes (from the same professor, of course) and followed them through while I took notes in class. While I do recommend ultimately creating your own outline, starting about halfway through the semester I used old outlines in class to supplement my own note taking. Generally, my professors taught their classes lecture-for-lecture the same as years prior, and thus having an old outline to look at really helped me get a general idea of what I should be taking away from the class. Was great shit.

And while I was no stranger at bar review first semester, I would've drank moar.

Thanks for answering! I'm really looking forward to starting and I haven't ever really been to Chicago, so it'll be fun to explore a new city.

Shelbinole

Postby Shelbinole » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:23 am

Checking in! Yay! :D

Lightworks

Postby Lightworks » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:42 pm

Anyone else had a strange lack of emails since being accepted? I got one every couple of days last year, but haven't had any in the 3 weeks since I got the acceptance email.

OhBoyOhBortles

Postby OhBoyOhBortles » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:31 am

Oh geez. There goes that sense of entitlement again, huh? Just because you have good statistics you feel like they should email you every few days? :lol: (kidding)

On a real note, though, I got one last week just letting me know I should feel free to contact them with any questions. That has been the extent of it. Also, I was curious if this was a mass email. Did anyone else get it?

hillz

Postby hillz » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:12 am

OhBoyOhBortles wrote:Oh geez. There goes that sense of entitlement again, huh? Just because you have good statistics you feel like they should email you every few days? :lol: (kidding)

On a real note, though, I got one last week just letting me know I should feel free to contact them with any questions. That has been the extent of it. Also, I was curious if this was a mass email. Did anyone else get it?

I received an email like that last week! Was wondering if it was mass or not, too.

Lightworks

Postby Lightworks » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:22 am

:wink:

I got an Admitted Students Survey email right after being admitted, but nothing since.

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:37 pm

Checking in! Admitted this morning. Really excited!

ILoveYou

Postby ILoveYou » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:29 pm

leslieknope wrote:Checking in! Admitted this morning. Really excited!

Congrats!

Sourire

Postby Sourire » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:18 pm

I've also been wondering about a lack of communication. I mean, right after getting my decision letter, I got the admitted student survey and some emails about paying my tuition deposit and setting up my NU Law email (I'm ED, not sure if that makes a difference) but then...nothing since December.

Mullens

Postby Mullens » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:43 am

usn26 wrote:Does anyone know what summer funding is available for PI, and if it's guaranteed/likely? I can't quite tell by digging around the website.

There's an organization called SFPIF which stands for Student Funded Public Interest Fellowships that provides summer stipends for PI work. I found this website but it looks to be a year out of date. I suggest asking in the Northwestern thread.

2015_Splitter

Postby 2015_Splitter » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:26 pm

For current students that went to the Admitted Students Weekend, is it worth going to?

I'm thinking of using the money I would've spent flying to Chicago and staying in a hotel to finance a nice little getaway vacation to California. Would I be missing out on a lot of fun or anything in Chicago?

MT Cicero

Postby MT Cicero » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:00 pm

2015_Splitter wrote:For current students that went to the Admitted Students Weekend, is it worth going to?

I'm thinking of using the money I would've spent flying to Chicago and staying in a hotel to finance a nice little getaway vacation to California. Would I be missing out on a lot of fun or anything in Chicago?

I had a good time. I think it's worth going under a couple scenarios: (1) you're pretty sure you're going to attend, or (2) it's definitely in the mix but you're unsure. Some folks at ASW last year really had one foot already in another school. I wouldn't recommend it there just for a trip if you'd rather be hanging out in California.

(2) is somewhat intuitive. As to (1) above, I met some pretty cool folks at ASW who are my friends today. You'll also get a feel for the school's vibe in general. It's perhaps a bit artificial, but meeting lots of current students is still bound to yield some good info.

Also, if they're still doing the $200 gig, it's something to help defray the cost. Extend your time in Chicago, rock a good Priceline deal, and make it your getaway.

It's not make or break though by any means. I hadn't been to Chicago before, so I just wanted to see the city.

2015_Splitter

Postby 2015_Splitter » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:56 pm

MT Cicero wrote:
2015_Splitter wrote:For current students that went to the Admitted Students Weekend, is it worth going to?

I had a good time. I think it's worth going under a couple scenarios: (1) you're pretty sure you're going to attend, or (2) it's definitely in the mix but you're unsure. Some folks at ASW last year really had one foot already in another school. I wouldn't recommend it there just for a trip if you'd rather be hanging out in California.

(2) is somewhat intuitive. As to (1) above, I met some pretty cool folks at ASW who are my friends today. You'll also get a feel for the school's vibe in general. It's perhaps a bit artificial, but meeting lots of current students is still bound to yield some good info.

Also, if they're still doing the $200 gig, it's something to help defray the cost. Extend your time in Chicago, rock a good Priceline deal, and make it your getaway.

It's not make or break though by any means. I hadn't been to Chicago before, so I just wanted to see the city.

Thanks for the response. I'm definitely going to NU, so I should probably stop being such a fuckboy and actually go to the event put on by the University instead of planning alternative vacations. See you guys there!

scorneli

Postby scorneli » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:16 am

Mullens wrote:
usn26 wrote:Does anyone know what summer funding is available for PI, and if it's guaranteed/likely? I can't quite tell by digging around the website.

There's an organization called SFPIF which stands for Student Funded Public Interest Fellowships that provides summer stipends for PI work. I found this website but it looks to be a year out of date. I suggest asking in the Northwestern thread.

Spot on. SPFIF does give out grants (I think they are in the 5k-6k range) for summer PI work. If you collectively volunteer for I think 20 hours -- and there's tons of opportunities to volunteer -- then you become eligible for the grant, should you take a PI position your first summer. I'm pretty sure everyone who applied for a grant was able to get one last year.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”