Cornell Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
tyrant_flycatcher

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby tyrant_flycatcher » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:05 pm

It depends on the professor and what textbook they're using. Wait until you get your section and then post again with what professors you have and what books they want you to get. You'll probably want to buy supplements off of 2Ls and 3Ls, who will generally sell them for a lot less money than what they're going for on Amazon. Like runinthefront said, you don't need supplements. I mean, if you're going to skip class and not do assigned readings, then yeah, you're going to be in a bad place if you don't at least read from a supplement. But I was able to do well in classes by just using the textbook.

hodzdoh

Postby hodzdoh » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:20 am

thank you for all the feedback guys!!!

EspadaFCB

Postby EspadaFCB » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:35 am

hodzdoh wrote:to current students: i have a question regarding supplements for class (you can say i am having pre-semester jitters). Are they necessary? is it impossible to get a good grade without them (emanuel's outlines, flashcards, etc)?? and if they are generally a good investment, how do i know which ones are the best? would it depend on the professor? any insight would be appreciated. thank you all!

I've heard Hillman's hornbook was amazing, but I never bought it and I did well in both semesters of contracts. I also heard the ConLaw supplement was very helpful, but I didn't use that either. So short answer? No, necessary is too strong a term imo, they're not necessary.

But as everyone here has explained it's really a personal preference thing. They definitely help clarify things and I would recommend using them if you can. They're particularly helpful towards the end of the semester imo as you begin to prepare for finals. Going back and re-reading the entire casebook at that point is kind of a chore.

MAapplicant

Postby MAapplicant » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:27 pm

Speaking of supplements...

Just graduated from CLS and am looking to get my 1L and 2L supplements off my hands. I have the following supplements: (1) Concise Hornbook: Civil Procedure (2nd Ed.); (2) Examples and Explanations: Contracts (5th Ed.); (3) Examples and Explanations: Criminal Law (5th Ed.); (4) Black Letter Outline: Evidence (3rd Ed.); (5) Black Letter Outline: Criminal Law (2nd Ed.); (6) Gilbert Law Summaries: Administrative Law; (7) Federal Income Taxation Supplement: 10th Edition; (8) Concise Hornbook: Property Law (6th Ed.); (9) Understanding Federal Income Taxation (2nd Ed.); (10) Examples and Explanations: Property (4th Ed.); (11) Black Letter Outline: Federal Income Taxation; (12) Emmanuals: Property.

With the exception of the Tax and Admin. supplements, the supplements pertain to your 1L courses. Best part of all...I WILL GIVE THEM TO YOU FOR FREE! Only one catch, I leave Ithaca forever on August 3rd so priority will go to anyone who is here during that time. If no one is here (or no one is interested), I can try to leave them in my mailbox in the Law Review room (or somewhere else where they would be secure).

Private message me if interested. Also, if you have any questions about CLS or in general feel free to PM me.

Postby 1272680776 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:47 pm

hi, I am a new law student in Cornell law school, can I have some of the books that you offered? I really appreciate your generous offer!

Jakobe

Postby Jakobe » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:55 pm

When should we see our merit scholarships being applied to our account?

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:12 pm

Jakobe wrote:When should we see our merit scholarships being applied to our account?

Soon, very soon. I just had mine uploaded yesterday, and I'm in the class of 2017. So I assume you all are next.

Jakobe

Postby Jakobe » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:18 pm

runinthefront wrote:
Jakobe wrote:When should we see our merit scholarships being applied to our account?

Soon, very soon. I just had mine uploaded yesterday, and I'm in the class of 2017. So I assume you all are next.

Okay cool! Was just getting worried, a 31k bill is a very intimidating thing to look at.

CFC1524

Postby CFC1524 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:45 am

Jakobe wrote:
runinthefront wrote:

Okay cool! Was just getting worried, a 31k bill is a very intimidating thing to look at.

Checked last night (the 22nd), and my scholarship info had been applied to the account.

On a somewhat related note, I just realized we have to waive Cornell's healthcare plan if you already have your own. Students are (I think annually?) enrolled in Cornell's insurance, and you need to submit an application to get out of it / get the charge (circa $2500) taken off your bill.

LawschoolQuestions88

Postby LawschoolQuestions88 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:07 pm

Can anyone tell me whether the Academic Orientation Program is worthwhile? I think I would like a few days to get settled and with orientation on the heels of the AOP and then classes right after I'm not sure I'd get the time I want if I went to AOP.

Will AOP actually help me do better in class? Any advice on this?

roastbeefy

Postby roastbeefy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:53 pm

LawschoolQuestions88 wrote:Can anyone tell me whether the Academic Orientation Program is worthwhile? I think I would like a few days to get settled and with orientation on the heels of the AOP and then classes right after I'm not sure I'd get the time I want if I went to AOP.

It won't really help you do better in class, but you get to meet a bunch of your peers and be in Ithaca earlier. It's just up to you whether you think it's worth it or not. Could help transition into how classes are going to be (but only really if you actually do the readings assigned and stuff).

LawschoolQuestions88

Postby LawschoolQuestions88 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:19 am

roastbeefy wrote:
LawschoolQuestions88 wrote:Can anyone tell me whether the Academic Orientation Program is worthwhile? I think I would like a few days to get settled and with orientation on the heels of the AOP and then classes right after I'm not sure I'd get the time I want if I went to AOP.

It won't really help you do better in class, but you get to meet a bunch of your peers and be in Ithaca earlier. It's just up to you whether you think it's worth it or not. Could help transition into how classes are going to be (but only really if you actually do the readings assigned and stuff).

Thanks your your input, I appreciate it.

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:32 am

The sole purpose of AOP is to let URM, LGBT, non-traditional students and super splitters feel welcome at cornell and capable of being successful. That's it. You're going to "learn" how to write a brief and you're going to have to read a few case excerpts, typically from Criminal Procedure (they don't want you exposed to 1L courses before everyone else obviously) and then there may be a mini-test (ungraded and many people simply skipped it) on the last day but that's it. It's mostly just a great way to meet some of your other classmates early on--which is great.

I thought it was a great experience.

future!jd12

Postby future!jd12 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:18 pm

Is it true that we dont get section assingments until the first morning of orientation? Seems like a quick turn around for buying books/reading for the first week of class....

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:42 am

future!jd12 wrote:Is it true that we dont get section assingments until the first morning of orientation? Seems like a quick turn around for buying books/reading for the first week of class....

No. You'll get an e-mail a week or so before orientation.

Yeezus

Postby Yeezus » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:39 am

Is anyone else in town yet?

Yeezus

Postby Yeezus » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:26 pm

My merit scholarship still hasn't been applied to the account, and the payment is due tomorrow. Should I hold off on paying until it is applied?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:38 pm

Yeezus wrote:My merit scholarship still hasn't been applied to the account, and the payment is due tomorrow. Should I hold off on paying until it is applied?

So, on your bursar bill, you don't see "school scholarships" as a line item being applied to pending credits?

And are you not paying with federal loans? Because those would also be pending credits and be applied automatically.

Yeezus

Postby Yeezus » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:40 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Yeezus wrote:My merit scholarship still hasn't been applied to the account, and the payment is due tomorrow. Should I hold off on paying until it is applied?

So, on your bursar bill, you don't see "school scholarships" as a line item being applied to pending credits?

And are you not paying with federal loans? Because those would also be pending credits and be applied automatically.

Correct.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:41 pm

Yeezus wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

Correct.

Id recommend calling financial aid and asking what's up. Likely you'll just have to pay whatever it says is due minus whatever you've been promised in scholarship for the semester.

TheatreofDreams1

Postby TheatreofDreams1 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:22 pm

Is there a way I can get into the Cornell 2018 JD facebook group? For some reason I still can't get into this thing and have massive FOMO due to this.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:26 pm

TheatreofDreams1 wrote:Is there a way I can get into the Cornell 2018 JD facebook group? For some reason I still can't get into this thing and have massive FOMO due to this.

Did you request to join? Is your facebook name different than your actual name?

Superstaranonymous

Postby Superstaranonymous » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:45 pm

TheatreofDreams1 wrote:Is there a way I can get into the Cornell 2018 JD facebook group? For some reason I still can't get into this thing and have massive FOMO due to this.

+1

TheatreofDreams

Postby TheatreofDreams » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:08 pm

Lavitz wrote:

Yep, full name and everything. It's not a big deal, but out of curiosity is "Hope Cornell" the admin for the group?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:15 pm

TheatreofDreams wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

Yep, full name and everything. It's not a big deal, but out of curiosity is "Hope Cornell" the admin for the group?

No, it's Cornell Law and Admitted Cornell. Maybe PM Admitted and be like "seriously, I'm starting 1L in 2 weeks and I really want to be in this group to know what's going on."

Don't worry, they denied me too. Granted I'm not actually a member of your class, but still, there are over 20 other upperclassmen in there.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”