Cornell Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
scofield0183
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:08 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby scofield0183 » Thu May 07, 2015 7:11 pm

Lavitz wrote:
scofield0183 wrote:So what's the deal with 13 South Ave? I just got an extra large room there but I was never able to find pics of rooms to see what it is actually like... Can anyone help me out? Any pics/comments will be appreciated!

The only people who can answer this are current 1Ls, and they're knee-deep in finals. All I can say is I've heard it's nice.


Thank you!! I think I will definitely sign the contract…

whatshisname
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:10 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby whatshisname » Fri May 08, 2015 12:43 pm

Hey guys - I've been looking for a studio apartment, but I'm into recording music ... Anyone know any good places? Collegetown Terrace bans music in its lease agreement.

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 747
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby zhenders » Fri May 08, 2015 7:38 pm

So crazy thing; I've been 100% on-board and stoked for Cornell for nearly a month now; I put down both my deposits, and even rented an apartment. That said, my first choice very unexpectedly pulled me off the waitlist and gave me the kind of scholarship money I can't turn down. I'm both very excited and pretty sad: I've been really looking forward to being a part of this class.

I wish you all the very best; if any of you are still waiting on a scholarship bump, there's about to be a good bit of money going back in the pool, and I hope one of you gets it!

On that note, too: if anyone is interested in a CT Terrace studio in the best building (112) with one month already paid for, PM me.

Kill it this fall, everyone.

User avatar
hairbear7
Posts: 517
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:28 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby hairbear7 » Fri May 08, 2015 7:58 pm

zhenders wrote:So crazy thing; I've been 100% on-board and stoked for Cornell for nearly a month now; I put down both my deposits, and even rented an apartment. That said, my first choice very unexpectedly pulled me off the waitlist and gave me the kind of scholarship money I can't turn down. I'm both very excited and pretty sad: I've been really looking forward to being a part of this class.

I wish you all the very best; if any of you are still waiting on a scholarship bump, there's about to be a good bit of money going back in the pool, and I hope one of you gets it!

On that note, too: if anyone is interested in a CT Terrace studio in the best building (112) with one month already paid for, PM me.

Kill it this fall, everyone.


Congrats and good luck!

User avatar
usn26
Posts: 803
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby usn26 » Sat May 09, 2015 8:13 am

hairbear7 wrote:
zhenders wrote:So crazy thing; I've been 100% on-board and stoked for Cornell for nearly a month now; I put down both my deposits, and even rented an apartment. That said, my first choice very unexpectedly pulled me off the waitlist and gave me the kind of scholarship money I can't turn down. I'm both very excited and pretty sad: I've been really looking forward to being a part of this class.

I wish you all the very best; if any of you are still waiting on a scholarship bump, there's about to be a good bit of money going back in the pool, and I hope one of you gets it!

On that note, too: if anyone is interested in a CT Terrace studio in the best building (112) with one month already paid for, PM me.

Kill it this fall, everyone.


Congrats and good luck!


+1

JustMe83
Posts: 28
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:40 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby JustMe83 » Mon May 11, 2015 12:03 pm

So I was 100% set on Cornell, paid deposits and all, but I unexpectedly got an interview off the Harvard waitlist, which is quite exciting but has kind of thrown my plans into chaos. Though my Cornell offer is very good, I would likely go to Harvard if admitted but will have to withdraw from H at some point if I haven't gotten a JS2 yet so I don't end up screwing myself over (I would not be disappointed at all to end up at Cornell) - I was wondering how late would be too late to find decent housing in Ithaca? End of May? June? I've heard that CTT will pretty much always be available but is a good deal more expensive than I would like, and I would prefer to live with other law students. Definitely don't want to sign a lease unless I'm positive I'll be at Cornell. Do any current students know if people were still looking for housing in June in prior years? I'm on the waitlist for Hughes but applied pretty late, not expecting much

Half of me wants to just wants to do the practical thing and withdraw from H right now and find a good place in Ithaca.... but I know that I'm too vain to say no a shot at Harvard haha. I'd greatly appreciate any insight offered

Yeezus
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby Yeezus » Mon May 11, 2015 12:24 pm

JustMe83 wrote:So I was 100% set on Cornell, paid deposits and all, but I unexpectedly got an interview off the Harvard waitlist, which is quite exciting but has kind of thrown my plans into chaos. Though my Cornell offer is very good, I would likely go to Harvard if admitted but will have to withdraw from H at some point if I haven't gotten a JS2 yet so I don't end up screwing myself over (I would not be disappointed at all to end up at Cornell) - I was wondering how late would be too late to find decent housing in Ithaca? End of May? June? I've heard that CTT will pretty much always be available but is a good deal more expensive than I would like, and I would prefer to live with other law students. Definitely don't want to sign a lease unless I'm positive I'll be at Cornell. Do any current students know if people were still looking for housing in June in prior years? I'm on the waitlist for Hughes but applied pretty late, not expecting much

Half of me wants to just wants to do the practical thing and withdraw from H right now and find a good place in Ithaca.... but I know that I'm too vain to say no a shot at Harvard haha. I'd greatly appreciate any insight offered


When I talked to the people who were showing me apartments, I asked them this question and they said that around now (mid-May) is when the rush to sign apartments happens.

User avatar
koval
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:19 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby koval » Mon May 11, 2015 3:05 pm

Yeezus wrote:
JustMe83 wrote:So I was 100% set on Cornell, paid deposits and all, but I unexpectedly got an interview off the Harvard waitlist, which is quite exciting but has kind of thrown my plans into chaos. Though my Cornell offer is very good, I would likely go to Harvard if admitted but will have to withdraw from H at some point if I haven't gotten a JS2 yet so I don't end up screwing myself over (I would not be disappointed at all to end up at Cornell) - I was wondering how late would be too late to find decent housing in Ithaca? End of May? June? I've heard that CTT will pretty much always be available but is a good deal more expensive than I would like, and I would prefer to live with other law students. Definitely don't want to sign a lease unless I'm positive I'll be at Cornell. Do any current students know if people were still looking for housing in June in prior years? I'm on the waitlist for Hughes but applied pretty late, not expecting much

Half of me wants to just wants to do the practical thing and withdraw from H right now and find a good place in Ithaca.... but I know that I'm too vain to say no a shot at Harvard haha. I'd greatly appreciate any insight offered


When I talked to the people who were showing me apartments, I asked them this question and they said that around now (mid-May) is when the rush to sign apartments happens.


Most law students have housing for next year, along with (I'm assuming) undergrads. If you end up holding off on housing in the hopes that you get H you're going to end up either paying more or living far away from the school. Totally understandable to stay on Harvard's waitlist by the way.

User avatar
usn26
Posts: 803
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby usn26 » Mon May 11, 2015 4:24 pm

I've been thinking about this, and I'm wondering if leases might open up as people bolt after getting off wait lists further up the chain.

I'm really hesitant to dive into housing since I'm still waiting on other wait lists, plus as a local I hang on without housing for a while, but I also don't want to get completely locked out. The Ithaca housing market is brutal IIRC.

User avatar
WeeBey
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby WeeBey » Mon May 11, 2015 5:36 pm

Are there any separate deposits you gotta make for Hughes? I have an assignment and signed the contract, but I really don't wanna lose my assignment.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby Lavitz » Mon May 11, 2015 5:58 pm

WeeBey wrote:Are there any separate deposits you gotta make for Hughes? I have an assignment and signed the contract, but I really don't wanna lose my assignment.

No. You're done.

CFC1524
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:50 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby CFC1524 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:35 am

Excellent choice on the new avatar, Lavitz - what'd you (or anyone else, for that matter) think of the series?

Yeezus
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby Yeezus » Wed May 13, 2015 1:20 am

CFC1524 wrote:Excellent choice on the new avatar, Lavitz - what'd you (or anyone else, for that matter) think of the series?


I'd give the first season 8/10. Charlie Cox and Vincent D'Onofrio were the right men for the job.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby Lavitz » Wed May 13, 2015 2:07 pm

CFC1524 wrote:Excellent choice on the new avatar, Lavitz - what'd you (or anyone else, for that matter) think of the series?

Liked it. Seemed popular among law students for obvious reasons.

TheatreofDreams1
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby TheatreofDreams1 » Wed May 13, 2015 2:37 pm

I think we all owe Lavitz a beer or three.

LawschoolQuestions88
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon May 11, 2015 3:04 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby LawschoolQuestions88 » Fri May 15, 2015 11:48 pm

Hey guys, I'm thinking of trying to find off-campus housing, preferably something not in a big apartment complex, reasonably priced, and convenient to get to the law school (either close, or by a bus line etc.).

If anyone else would like to room, please shoot me a PM, I'm hoping to keep rent and utilities in the $650-$800 range.

About me:

I'm outdoorsy but also a gamer, I'm friendly but will leave ya be if that's what you like, though I would like if we could become friends (I'm new to Ithaca). I am clean and not high maintenance, but would expect you to take care of your stuff, normal expectations really. I want to find a place that has an academic year lease, not 12 months.

Please PM me if you're interested so we can find a place!!

Thanks,
David

TheatreofDreams1
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby TheatreofDreams1 » Tue May 19, 2015 3:15 pm

LawschoolQuestions88 wrote:Hey guys, I'm thinking of trying to find off-campus housing, preferably something not in a big apartment complex, reasonably priced, and convenient to get to the law school (either close, or by a bus line etc.).
but would expect you to take care of your stuff, normal expectations really. I want to find a place that has an academic year lease, not 12 months.

Please PM me if you're interested so we can find a place!!

Thanks,
David


David,

Unfortunately, when I was shopping around I was told that this is not a possibility, unless you do Cornell housing. The landlords know you have no other options, they will bill for a full year. Would love to know if I'm wrong about that.

User avatar
betty_bojangles
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:50 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby betty_bojangles » Tue May 19, 2015 3:21 pm

TheatreofDreams1 wrote:
LawschoolQuestions88 wrote:Hey guys, I'm thinking of trying to find off-campus housing, preferably something not in a big apartment complex, reasonably priced, and convenient to get to the law school (either close, or by a bus line etc.).
but would expect you to take care of your stuff, normal expectations really. I want to find a place that has an academic year lease, not 12 months.

Please PM me if you're interested so we can find a place!!

Thanks,
David


David,

Unfortunately, when I was shopping around I was told that this is not a possibility, unless you do Cornell housing. The landlords know you have no other options, they will bill for a full year. Would love to know if I'm wrong about that.


The landlord at PJ Apartments told me that she had some 10 month leases available. I decided on another place though so I didn't follow up.

User avatar
usn26
Posts: 803
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby usn26 » Tue May 19, 2015 4:25 pm

TheatreofDreams1 wrote:
LawschoolQuestions88 wrote:Hey guys, I'm thinking of trying to find off-campus housing, preferably something not in a big apartment complex, reasonably priced, and convenient to get to the law school (either close, or by a bus line etc.).
but would expect you to take care of your stuff, normal expectations really. I want to find a place that has an academic year lease, not 12 months.

Please PM me if you're interested so we can find a place!!

Thanks,
David


David,

Unfortunately, when I was shopping around I was told that this is not a possibility, unless you do Cornell housing. The landlords know you have no other options, they will bill for a full year. Would love to know if I'm wrong about that.


If you're willing to commute a bit there are quite a few houses/apartments for rent from locals that are pretty flexible. I got a month to month in Slaterville (you can google to see that that's a pretty long commute, though).

User avatar
altf4
Posts: 212
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:17 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby altf4 » Wed May 20, 2015 9:29 am

Second deposit paid and looking forward to the fall a lot a lot a lot :) Hope to spend the rest of the summer traveling and reading for leisure and look forward to starting school well-rested and read-up!

Quick question: I was just looking through the course offerings and saw that Lawyering was "no s/u grading" -- and to my understanding, s/u is sort of equivalent to pass/fail... Does that mean the writing course is actually graded? :shock: And if graded, how strict are they on minor grammatical errors?? Thanks a lot!

Also, I asked a current student this question via PM before, but wanted to ask more of y'all that are living/planning to live in Hughes: They kick us out for about a month during winter break (19 Dec - 16 Jan if I recall correctly). I was kind of hoping to stay in the area and do research or something + travel locally. 1Ls, what did you do (in terms of housing) over the winter? 0Ls, what do you plan on doing?

User avatar
earthabides
Posts: 305
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:48 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby earthabides » Wed May 20, 2015 9:38 am

Any Canadians attending in the fall?

User avatar
hodzdoh
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:25 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby hodzdoh » Wed May 20, 2015 8:54 pm

anyone else living in CT terrace next semester?

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby Lavitz » Wed May 20, 2015 9:20 pm

altf4 wrote:Quick question: I was just looking through the course offerings and saw that Lawyering was "no s/u grading" -- and to my understanding, s/u is sort of equivalent to pass/fail... Does that mean the writing course is actually graded? :shock: And if graded, how strict are they on minor grammatical errors?? Thanks a lot!

Yes, it's graded.

With the amount of time you should be spending on each memo before turning it in, you should have plenty of time to make sure there are no grammatical errors. Your Lawyering professor should teach you the writing style, and there are TAs you can ask for help. If your English isn't great and you're still worried, I'd recommend reading Plain English for Lawyers, even if your prof doesn't assign it.

User avatar
WeeBey
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby WeeBey » Fri May 22, 2015 10:42 am

Hey guys, the second deposit is due today. Don't (almost) forget like me.

CFC1524
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:50 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby CFC1524 » Fri May 22, 2015 12:28 pm

WeeBey wrote:Hey guys, the second deposit is due today. Don't (almost) forget like me.


Awkward - definitely thought it was next Monday. Think its a (relatively) big deal if I wait until after the weekend?




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest