Cornell Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
User avatar
runthetrap1990
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby runthetrap1990 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:25 pm

TheatreofDreams1 wrote:10/10, well played.

Quick question. Is there usually a 1L class get together before classes begin? Would be nice to get to know some folks.


The weeks before class starts, as 1Ls start trickling in to Ithaca, you'll get a ton of meet ups popping up (or at least that's how it was for our class...). And then there'll be parties and such. You'll have plenty of time and opportunities to meet people.

Also, rest in peace chapter house. your salty popcorn, which consequently made me buy more drinks than I would ever have planned to have purchased and in turn making my walks home less than memorable, will be missed.
Last edited by runthetrap1990 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
mt2165
Posts: 508
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:58 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby mt2165 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:31 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
TheatreofDreams1 wrote:10/10, well played.

Quick question. Is there usually a 1L class get together before classes begin? Would be nice to get to know some folks.


The weeks before class starts, as 1Ls start trickling in to Ithaca, you'll get a ton of meet ups popping up (or at least that's how it was for our class...). And then there'll be parties and such. You'll have plenty of time and opportunities to meet people.


Yep. There's also a pre-orientation ropes course or something and orientation in general is a pretty good way to meet folks.

User avatar
runthetrap1990
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby runthetrap1990 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:35 pm

mt2165 wrote:Yep. There's also a pre-orientation ropes course or something and orientation in general is a pretty good way to meet folks.


Yeah, to all the 0Ls in here, I HIGHLY suggest doing the ropes course. It's only a morning to early afternoon commitment, and actually is a ton of fun and a great way to meet people. Even if you happen to be extremely hungover in the morning, I would still recommend doing it.

User avatar
JamesMcGillEsquire
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:55 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby JamesMcGillEsquire » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:32 pm

any hotel recommendations for ASD? I don't think there's anything available that's super close to campus but I would prefer to avoid the seedy parts of Ithaca

User avatar
Yea All Right
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:27 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby Yea All Right » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:35 pm

JamesMcGillEsquire wrote:any hotel recommendations for ASD? I don't think there's anything available that's super close to campus but I would prefer to avoid the seedy parts of Ithaca


I think there's a Hilton downtown.

User avatar
runthetrap1990
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby runthetrap1990 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:38 pm

JamesMcGillEsquire wrote:any hotel recommendations for ASD? I don't think there's anything available that's super close to campus but I would prefer to avoid the seedy parts of Ithaca


There's an on-camps hotel called the Statler. If I remember it's on the pricey side. There's also a place not too far from the law school called the Hillside Inn. I've heard nothing about it though, so I wouldn't recommend it (but I would also research it and see if you think it's a viable option). I think you're best bet would be the Hilton Garden in the Commons. That would be about a 20 minute or so walk to the Law School, give or take. Otherwise, your other options are going to require cabbing or driving to get to the law school.

Yeezus
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby Yeezus » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:55 pm

JamesMcGillEsquire wrote:the seedy parts of Ithaca


There is such a thing? How bad can it be?

User avatar
runinthefront
Posts: 1098
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby runinthefront » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:59 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
JamesMcGillEsquire wrote:any hotel recommendations for ASD? I don't think there's anything available that's super close to campus but I would prefer to avoid the seedy parts of Ithaca


There's an on-camps hotel called the Statler. If I remember it's on the pricey side. There's also a place not too far from the law school called the Hillside Inn. I've heard nothing about it though, so I wouldn't recommend it (but I would also research it and see if you think it's a viable option). I think you're best bet would be the Hilton Garden in the Commons. That would be about a 20 minute or so walk to the Law School, give or take. Otherwise, your other options are going to require cabbing or driving to get to the law school.


The Hillside Inn is a shithole...

...but it's also a shithole that is like $50 a night and literally a one-minute walk to the law school so depending on your tolerance to shithole motels you should call them up (I have a really high tolerance FWIW)

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3096
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby Lavitz » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:20 pm

runinthefront wrote:The Hillside Inn is a shithole...

...but it's also a shithole that is like $50 a night and literally a one-minute walk to the law school so depending on your tolerance to shithole motels you should call them up (I have a really high tolerance FWIW)

Same. But I wouldn't recommend anyone else take the plunge.

User avatar
runthetrap1990
Posts: 358
Joined: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:38 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby runthetrap1990 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:51 pm

Lavitz wrote:
runinthefront wrote:The Hillside Inn is a shithole...

...but it's also a shithole that is like $50 a night and literally a one-minute walk to the law school so depending on your tolerance to shithole motels you should call them up (I have a really high tolerance FWIW)

Same. But I wouldn't recommend anyone else take the plunge.


I do vaguely remember being told not to do that...

Actually to answer the previous question, another idea is Air BnB. When I came to visit i used that option and it worked out great (and cheap)

User avatar
NutellaDipity
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:07 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby NutellaDipity » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:10 am

JamesMcGillEsquire wrote:any hotel recommendations for ASD? I don't think there's anything available that's super close to campus but I would prefer to avoid the seedy parts of Ithaca


I got a cottage through airbnb, it's cheap and close to school (if driving). I think by now a lot of good airbnb options are gone

User avatar
WeeBey
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby WeeBey » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:41 pm

Filled out a Hughes application a couple weeks ago, just deposited today, does anyone know how long it takes to get a Hughes assignment?

sheishkabob
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby sheishkabob » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:14 pm

Hey guys, who did you email for negotiations? The general finaid email? I emailed them several days ago and haven't had any response or confirmation and am worried I emailed the wrong destination

Yeezus
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby Yeezus » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:00 pm

sheishkabob wrote:Hey guys, who did you email for negotiations? The general finaid email? I emailed them several days ago and haven't had any response or confirmation and am worried I emailed the wrong destination


I replied to the email with the original offer. It's been a few days for me too. Not all that surprising, since ASW is coming up.

Vermonster
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:51 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby Vermonster » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:08 pm

sheishkabob wrote:Hey guys, who did you email for negotiations? The general finaid email? I emailed them several days ago and haven't had any response or confirmation and am worried I emailed the wrong destination


This same thing happened to me so I emailed them again asking if they had received my first email and they said I would hear by the end of the week. I guess they are just really busy right now. If you sent it to the general financial aid email you should be fine.

sheishkabob
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby sheishkabob » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:26 pm

Cool, thanks!

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby ChemEng1642 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:45 pm

Got confirmation of financial aid today!

User avatar
NotASpecialSnowflake
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:44 am

I withdrew earlier today. I hope some of my scholly $$ helps someone out.

Thanks for being so helpful ITT 1Ls. This is the most informative class thread by far

User avatar
Broncos847
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby Broncos847 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:16 pm

Anyone still meeting up tonight? I'm getting into Ithaca around 630 an wouldn't mind grabbing a beer and watching some hockey.

Yeezus
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby Yeezus » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:10 pm

Broncos847 wrote:Anyone still meeting up tonight? I'm getting into Ithaca around 630 an wouldn't mind grabbing a beer and watching some hockey.


I'll be at the mixer tonight, but after that I'm down. Idk about hockey though :lol:

User avatar
hairbear7
Posts: 517
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:28 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby hairbear7 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:38 pm

See everyone in a bit!

User avatar
zhenders
Posts: 743
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby zhenders » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:18 pm

Checking in; I won't be able to meet you all this weekend (work commitments for the next few months), but enjoy the heck out of it, ask questions where appropriate, and report back!

Also, a request which I'm sure all of the lurkers would second if they were to come out of lurking: consider this thread a photos drop box, yeah? To include the food. I want pictures of the food.

sheishkabob
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby sheishkabob » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:38 pm

zhenders wrote:Checking in; I won't be able to meet you all this weekend (work commitments for the next few months), but enjoy the heck out of it, ask questions where appropriate, and report back!

Also, a request which I'm sure all of the lurkers would second if they were to come out of lurking: consider this thread a photos drop box, yeah? To include the food. I want pictures of the food.


I second this, I'm not able to make it this weekend and would really, really appreciate a full report of what it was like, the vibe, type of students, thoughts on professors, job placement discussions, any pictures, etc. if possible!!! (This is a tall order, but any info, big or small would be greatly appreciated!)

smiles123
Posts: 175
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:23 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby smiles123 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:58 pm

Will be arriving in Ithaca early tomorrow morning! Very excited to meet some of you and I'd be happy to pm summary/general thoughts and impressions to those who can't attend.

CFC1524
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:50 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby CFC1524 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:04 pm

smiles123 wrote:Will be arriving in Ithaca early tomorrow morning! Very excited to meet some of you and I'd be happy to pm summary/general thoughts and impressions to those who can't attend.


+1

See everyone tomorrow!




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests