Cornell Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
User avatar
JamesMcGillEsquire
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:55 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby JamesMcGillEsquire » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:25 pm

Have people been sending negotiation emails to the financial aid office or to the admissions office?

User avatar
wonka
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:46 pm

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:31 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
betty_bojangles
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:50 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby betty_bojangles » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:34 pm

Did anyone get the email about ASW? What are the individual financial aid appointments about? Is it for negotiating?

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby ChemEng1642 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:42 pm

mwonka wrote:Just got a Hughes offer via email. I was planning to withdraw but this suddenly makes the decision very difficult.


oh snap! congrats!!

when were you admitted?

User avatar
NotASpecialSnowflake
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:06 pm

betty_bojangles wrote:Did anyone get the email about ASW? What are the individual financial aid appointments about? Is it for negotiating?

Yep. At least it's been that way at the other ASWs I've been to.

User avatar
wonka
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:46 pm

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:06 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby ChemEng1642 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:17 pm

mwonka wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:
mwonka wrote:Just got a Hughes offer via email. I was planning to withdraw but this suddenly makes the decision very difficult.


oh snap! congrats!!

when were you admitted?


Thanks! I'm super surprised.

I was admitted on 3/30, literally 2 minutes after a JS2. HLS tempered the excitement at the time but now that my head's back on straight I realize it's a tough choice. Suddenly I realize I have no idea what I'm going to do!


Oh man that's a tough decision - good luck!

User avatar
betty_bojangles
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:50 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby betty_bojangles » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:11 pm

NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:
betty_bojangles wrote:Did anyone get the email about ASW? What are the individual financial aid appointments about? Is it for negotiating?

Yep. At least it's been that way at the other ASWs I've been to.


:shock: In person negotiating seems scary. I wonder which strategy they are more susceptible to.

User avatar
WeeBey
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby WeeBey » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:43 pm

betty_bojangles wrote:
NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:
betty_bojangles wrote:Did anyone get the email about ASW? What are the individual financial aid appointments about? Is it for negotiating?

Yep. At least it's been that way at the other ASWs I've been to.


:shock: In person negotiating seems scary. I wonder which strategy they are more susceptible to.


I feel like after negotiating in person it would be much more final.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby Lavitz » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:48 pm

mwonka wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:
mwonka wrote:Just got a Hughes offer via email. I was planning to withdraw but this suddenly makes the decision very difficult.


oh snap! congrats!!

when were you admitted?


Thanks! I'm super surprised.

I was admitted on 3/30, literally 2 minutes after a JS2. HLS tempered the excitement at the time but now that my head's back on straight I realize it's a tough choice. Suddenly I realize I have no idea what I'm going to do!

At first I thought this meant you got offered a room in Hughes Hall, lol.

PM me if you want to chat about Harvard vs. Cornell with $$$$.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby Lavitz » Mon Apr 13, 2015 7:50 pm

NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:
YeezusPiece wrote:Who is going to the ASW this week? We should do something Thursday night.


Yes please

You should. Especially since it's supposed to rain Friday and Saturday, after a week of beautiful weather. :|

Yeezus
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby Yeezus » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:51 pm

Lavitz wrote:
NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:
YeezusPiece wrote:Who is going to the ASW this week? We should do something Thursday night.


Yes please

You should. Especially since it's supposed to rain Friday and Saturday, after a week of beautiful weather. :|


Guess I'll volunteer to organize it. Anyone know of a relatively chill bar where we can get food and hang out after the mixer?

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby Lavitz » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:58 pm

YeezusPiece wrote:Guess I'll volunteer to organize it. Anyone know of a relatively chill bar where we can get food and hang out after the mixer?

Oh, forgot you were invited to the mixer. Rulloff's.

kingpin101
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby kingpin101 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:55 pm

How soon after depositing can we expect to be able to apply for Hughes? Just deposited last night.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby Lavitz » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:04 pm

kingpin101 wrote:How soon after depositing can we expect to be able to apply for Hughes? Just deposited last night.

You've been able to apply for a good 2 months now. Check the OP.

Apsara
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:43 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby Apsara » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:42 am

Unfortunate news told by a friend: There was a fire early this morning and Chapter House, a pillar in the bar hopping community of Ithaca was badly damaged. Bad timing, but I hope no one got hurt or injured. :(


User avatar
WeeBey
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby WeeBey » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:17 pm

Got rejected when I tried to negotiate a second time with a higher offer from the same school they matched the first time :(

Still gonna be at Cornell though!

queerqueg
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:19 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby queerqueg » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:21 pm

WeeBey wrote:Got rejected when I tried to negotiate a second time with a higher offer from the same school they matched the first time :(

Still gonna be at Cornell though!


Helpful info, thanks

Yeezus
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu May 29, 2014 6:37 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby Yeezus » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:22 pm

Lavitz wrote:
YeezusPiece wrote:Guess I'll volunteer to organize it. Anyone know of a relatively chill bar where we can get food and hang out after the mixer?

Oh, forgot you were invited to the mixer. Rulloff's.


Rulloff's it is. Is everyone cool with heading over there after the mixer on Thursday?

User avatar
hairbear7
Posts: 517
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:28 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby hairbear7 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:19 pm

YeezusPiece wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
YeezusPiece wrote:Guess I'll volunteer to organize it. Anyone know of a relatively chill bar where we can get food and hang out after the mixer?

Oh, forgot you were invited to the mixer. Rulloff's.


Rulloff's it is. Is everyone cool with heading over there after the mixer on Thursday?


Yeah sounds fun =)

User avatar
runinthefront
Posts: 1105
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby runinthefront » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:31 pm

Chapter House burned down today so you 0Ls won't get to experience eating free popcorn in a grimy-yet-homey-drinking establishment.

toothbrush
Posts: 2388
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:21 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby toothbrush » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:33 pm

runinthefront wrote:Chapter House burned down today so you 0Ls won't get to experience eating free popcorn in a grimy-yet-homey-drinking establishment.

did they determine the cause?

User avatar
runinthefront
Posts: 1105
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby runinthefront » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:35 pm

toothbrush wrote:
runinthefront wrote:Chapter House burned down today so you 0Ls won't get to experience eating free popcorn in a grimy-yet-homey-drinking establishment.

did they determine the cause?


I left my mixtape there on Sunday

It was bound to happen

Image

TheatreofDreams1
Posts: 31
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:26 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby TheatreofDreams1 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:58 pm

10/10, well played.

Quick question. Is there usually a 1L class get together before classes begin? Would be nice to get to know some folks.




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest