Cornell Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
Winter is Coming

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby Winter is Coming » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:06 pm

CT Terrace has rooms in some of the older buildings that are dorm type setups (i.e. 115 S. Quarry). Rent for next year is 700 per month, which includes all utilities and internet. You get your own bathroom, but share a communal kitchen in the basement. Same access to all the CT Terrace amenities (gym, shuttle bus to law school). Its a pretty good deal if you don't mind sharing a kitchen.

They have even cheaper rooms, like 600ish but with sharing a bathroom if you can deal with that as well.

Disadvantage is that they only do 12 month leases, so I'm not sure if its a better deal than Hughes if you can't find a sub-letter for the summer months.

Alhe5015

Postby Alhe5015 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:13 pm

I contacted the people at CT Terrace and they set me up with a 2br/ 2 ba and a roomate (same gender and also a grad student). Im only going to be paying 1050 for one of the brand new buildings.

Trippel

Postby Trippel » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:16 pm

Winter is Coming wrote:CT Terrace has rooms in some of the older buildings that are dorm type setups (i.e. 115 S. Quarry). Rent for next year is 700 per month, which includes all utilities and internet. You get your own bathroom, but share a communal kitchen in the basement. Same access to all the CT Terrace amenities (gym, shuttle bus to law school). Its a pretty good deal if you don't mind sharing a kitchen.

They have even cheaper rooms, like 600ish but with sharing a bathroom if you can deal with that as well.

Disadvantage is that they only do 12 month leases, so I'm not sure if its a better deal than Hughes if you can't find a sub-letter for the summer months.

Jump on these ASAP. Apartments in this price range are the first in CT Terrace to go.

Yea All Right

Postby Yea All Right » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:10 am

I live in Collegetown Terrace in one of the older buildings, still very nice and pay just $900/month. 2BR apartment, have one roommate.

Now I'm curious about who runinthefront, Cornell11111111, and Trippel are.

supersplittysplitter

Postby supersplittysplitter » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:31 am

I think this came up a few pages ago, but can we confirm that Cornell does not combine need and merit aid in its schollys? Because if that's the case, could they reduce our award when we update our tax information and/or send our parents 2014 taxes upon enrolling (since need based aid is generally conditional pending your final tax information)?

Sorry if that question is unclear, but I noticed in the scholarship email they didn't explicitly refer to merit or need, so it got me thinking

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:54 am

supersplittysplitter wrote:can we confirm that Cornell does not combine need and merit aid in its schollys?

No, but I can confirm that it does.

I've never heard of anyone having their award reduced.

Jakobe

Postby Jakobe » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:02 pm

These 600-900 rooms in CT are single bedrooms right? If so then that doesn't seem as bad since I was paying 750 to share a bedroom and bathroom when I went to school in LA.

Alhe5015

Postby Alhe5015 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:55 pm

Jakobe wrote:These 600-900 rooms in CT are single bedrooms right? If so then that doesn't seem as bad since I was paying 750 to share a bedroom and bathroom when I went to school in LA.

Yeah, they are single rooms.

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:51 pm

Submitted my Housing request.

Are assignments made by the order theyre recieved only, or also by when they recieve your deposit?

If my top choice was a small room in Hughes, how likely is it that I'll get that? Or my No.2 a regular sized room in Hughes?

strugglebus

Postby strugglebus » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:57 pm

I'll be withdrawing in the next few days and leaving a Hughes on the table. Hoping it goes to one of you!

smiles123

Postby smiles123 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:03 am

^I would love to take that off your hands.

strugglebus

Postby strugglebus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:11 am

smiles123 wrote:^I would love to take that off your hands.

Any admissions office to adopt a policy giving unclaimed $$$ to the first TLSer to ask would be winning in my book.

Alhe5015

Postby Alhe5015 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:37 pm

For those who have already made their decision, when do you think youre moving to Ithaca?

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:44 pm

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yeezus

Postby Yeezus » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:27 pm

Does anyone have any idea when leases start? I'd like to move to Ithaca in June or July.

runthetrap1990

Postby runthetrap1990 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:57 pm

YeezusPiece wrote:Does anyone have any idea when leases start? I'd like to move to Ithaca in June or July.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any "set dates" when lease will start. So if you are looking to start your lease then and the lease is open then for the apartment you're going to be living in, then I think you're golden. That being said, I'd imagine August is a pretty common month for tenants to start leasing

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:27 pm

From what I've seen on TLS, Cornell's main recruiting process is the NYC Job Fair as opposed to their OCI in Ithaca. Do only NYC firms/offices come to the NYC JF, or do offices all over the country come just cause they'd rather stay in NYC than Ithaca?

Specifically, do SF/SV firms come out or would you have to reach out to them outside of the OCI process?

Also, if Cornell has a NYC JF, who comes out to the Ithaca OCI?

My real concern is whether the use of an NYC JF limits students' number and range of firms they have access to through the official process.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:55 pm

WeeBey wrote:Do only NYC firms/offices come to the NYC JF, or do offices all over the country come just cause they'd rather stay in NYC than Ithaca?

Specifically, do SF/SV firms come out or would you have to reach out to them outside of the OCI process?

My real concern is whether the use of an NYC JF limits students' number and range of firms they have access to through the official process.

Offices from all over the country come to AJF. For all intents and purposes, that is our OCI. We have it there specifically because firms would rather interview us in NYC than go to Ithaca. This applies to both NYC and non-NYC offices.

SF/SV firms will be there, although probably not every SF/SV firm. I don't have the list right now, but I imagine you'd have to mail some. But if so, it's not because having our jobs fair in a more convenient location limits "students' number and range of firms they have access to through the official process." AJF is the official process. Cornell, NYU, and Columbia all have their main jobs fair/OCI in the same exact hotel in Manhattan.

Then, as for the actual OCI in Ithaca, it's a bunch of upstate firms, some PI organizations, and government agencies. The only NYC firm that still attends the Ithaca OCI is Skadden, and that's because one of their partners comes up every year to give a speech to the 1Ls at orientation and then interviews 2Ls at OCI the next day. But Skadden is also at the NYC AJF, so the Ithaca OCI just gives a second chance to people who missed it in AJF bidding.

hairbear7

Postby hairbear7 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:11 am

How do the logistics work with having to go to NYC for all the screeners? Appreciate all your answers so far btw!

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:59 am

Lavitz wrote:
WeeBey wrote:Do only NYC firms/offices come to the NYC JF, or do offices all over the country come just cause they'd rather stay in NYC than Ithaca?

Offices from all over the country come to AJF. For all intents and purposes, that is our OCI. We have it there specifically because firms would rather interview us in NYC than go to Ithaca. This applies to both NYC and non-NYC offices.

SF/SV firms will be there, although probably not every SF/SV firm. I don't have the list right now, but I imagine you'd have to mail some. But if so, it's not because having our jobs fair in a more convenient location limits "students' number and range of firms they have access to through the official process." AJF is the official process. Cornell, NYU, and Columbia all have their main jobs fair/OCI in the same exact hotel in Manhattan.

Then, as for the actual OCI in Ithaca, it's a bunch of upstate firms, some PI organizations, and government agencies. The only NYC firm that still attends the Ithaca OCI is Skadden, and that's because one of their partners comes up every year to give a speech to the 1Ls at orientation and then interviews 2Ls at OCI the next day. But Skadden is also at the NYC AJF, so the Ithaca OCI just gives a second chance to people who missed it in AJF bidding.

Thanks so much for the clarification.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:03 am

hairbear7 wrote:How do the logistics work with having to go to NYC for all the screeners? Appreciate all your answers so far btw!

Unless you have a place to stay for free nearby, you have to pay for your own hotel room in the city during AJF. AJF screeners are Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, so you'd probably end up paying for at least 3 nights (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday). If you get a callback, the firm pays for travel and a hotel room for one night. So if you get one on Monday, you could schedule it for Thursday and get a free room Wednesday night. Otherwise, you'd probably just pay for more nights / head back to whereever you have a place to stay until you get a callback.

I paid for a hotel for AJF, then stayed with family a few hours away in between callbacks because my new lease in Ithaca didn't start until the 15th and I had spent the summer in a different state.

Not sure if that answers your question or not.

TheatreofDreams1

Postby TheatreofDreams1 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:24 am

p.s. lavitz thank you for still being there for the 0Ls :)

I don't understand how to use this forum/thread, so I'm responding to your earlier post on apts. I tried and the format went haywire.

Looks like I'll need to join the fb group and do a bit of craiglist.

hairbear7

Postby hairbear7 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:46 am

Lavitz wrote:
hairbear7 wrote:How do the logistics work with having to go to NYC for all the screeners? Appreciate all your answers so far btw!

Unless you have a place to stay for free nearby, you have to pay for your own hotel room in the city during AJF. AJF screeners are Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, so you'd probably end up paying for at least 3 nights (Sunday, Monday, Tuesday). If you get a callback, the firm pays for travel and a hotel room for one night. So if you get one on Monday, you could schedule it for Thursday and get a free room Wednesday night. Otherwise, you'd probably just pay for more nights / head back to whereever you have a place to stay until you get a callback.

I paid for a hotel for AJF, then stayed with family a few hours away in between callbacks because my new lease in Ithaca didn't start until the 15th and I had spent the summer in a different state.

Not sure if that answers your question or not.

Yeah that was exactly the kind of answer I was looking for, thanks! Kind of a bummer you have to pay for a room but I guess in the grand scheme of things it's worth it =)

ithrowds

Postby ithrowds » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:13 pm

I have a significant other that might want to visit for a few days during the school year. Would that be weird or unheard of if I were living in hughes? I know it seems like its somewhat of a dorm type setup.

toothbrush

Postby toothbrush » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:14 pm

ithrowds wrote:I have a significant other that might want to visit for a few days during the school year. Would that be weird or unheard of if I were living in hughes? I know it seems like its somewhat of a dorm type setup.

people do much worse. it's fine; don't be a dick about it (making noise..) + let roommates know in advance. the only backlash you'd get is from your peers, not administration.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”