Cornell Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
runinthefront

Re: Cornell Class of 2018 (Now with $$$$)

Postby runinthefront » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:00 pm

arewevoting wrote:Can someone comment on the environment from CT Terrace? Is there still massive construction going on? I read something somewhere (can't remember) and someone posted about how terrible it was, loud construction 7 am -7 pm, a bunch of other horrible stuff, and so on and so forth. The person basically said never to live there haha..

I don't live there (way too $$$ for me) but many of my friends do and I have heard zero complaints. All of them are re-signing. CTT holds probably the nicest accommodations you'll find around the college town area.

Trippel

Postby Trippel » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:13 pm

arewevoting wrote:Can someone comment on the environment from CT Terrace? Is there still massive construction going on? I read something somewhere (can't remember) and someone posted about how terrible it was, loud construction 7 am -7 pm, a bunch of other horrible stuff, and so on and so forth. The person basically said never to live there haha..

Haha, I remember seeing the same reviews when I was looking for an apartment. Nope, no noise complaints. I think those reviews date back to before CT Terrace was fully constructed.

arewevoting

Postby arewevoting » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:09 am

runinthefront wrote:

I don't live there (way too $$$ for me) but many of my friends do and I have heard zero complaints. All of them are re-signing. CTT holds probably the nicest accommodations you'll find around the college town area.

sweet thx, any advice on cheap(er) places to target? 1000+ per month seems like an outrageous amount to pay for Ithaca, NY...

hodzdoh

Postby hodzdoh » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:31 am

Hi guys,

checking in, accepted last month! kinda late yeah lol.
just got back from march asw, had a blast! two things on my mind though..

1. what are the chances cornell will negotiate scholarship with me? they currently offered me 60k total and my LSAT:169 and UGPA: 3.62... so i am what you would call, a splitter.. the most competitive offers i can show them currently is 75k from GW and 120k from USC. im still waiting to get my aid package from Duke as well.

2. when would you say is TOO late to apply for housing..(i.e. all the decent, cheap spots are filled up)? im still not 100percent committed... but it would still be nice to know. thanks!!

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:47 am

Last edited by downbeat14 on Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:29 am

3.4/170. 30k. Hugely disappointed. Was getting ready to deposit, but I feel like I'd be crazy to pass up Northwestern for $120k (COA) to pay $210k at Cornell, even with a PI focus. I was probably too honest in my chat with financial aid? Back to a tough decision haha.

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:34 am

Anybody get any word back after trying to negotiate?

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:40 am

usn26

Postby usn26 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:48 am

downbeat14 wrote:
usn26 wrote:3.4/170. 30k. Hugely disappointed. Was getting ready to deposit, but I feel like I'd be crazy to pass up Northwestern for $120k (COA) to pay $210k at Cornell, even with a PI focus. I was probably too honest in my chat with financial aid? Back to a tough decision haha.

You should negotiate here! They want your LSAT and I'm thinking they will play ball if you tell them about the NU offer. Drive a hard bargain bc you have serious leverage.

I sent them the $100k scholarship offer. Unfortunately it expires April 1. At which point my only leverage is to walk. Not quite sure what my move would be.

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:51 am

NU made offers already?

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:57 am

NutellaDipity

Postby NutellaDipity » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:10 am

is it possible to negotiate with an equal offer from michigan? (tuition difference taken into account)

or does the other offer have to be higher to have leverage? thanks.

usn26

Postby usn26 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:17 am

My offer is for the AJD at NU, which might be why they don't want to compete. But that's also why NU is so cheap. It's a pretty hard deadline, since they need to have their class sorted out soon. Unfortunately, can't afford to double deposit even if I wanted to.

Didn't know there was a negotiations thread. I'll go look for that.

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:18 pm

Still no word on $$ ughhhh

rwe13

Postby rwe13 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:24 pm

How long does it take to be accepted to the Facebook group ? It's only been a couple of days, but there have been other technical hiccups for me with Cornell already

hodzdoh

Postby hodzdoh » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:54 am

downbeat14 wrote:
hodzdoh wrote:Hi guys,

checking in, accepted last month! kinda late yeah lol.
just got back from march asw, had a blast! two things on my mind though..

1. what are the chances cornell will negotiate scholarship with me? they currently offered me 60k total and my LSAT:169 and UGPA: 3.62... so i am what you would call, a splitter.. the most competitive offers i can show them currently is 75k from GW and 120k from USC. im still waiting to get my aid package from Duke as well.

2. when would you say is TOO late to apply for housing..(i.e. all the decent, cheap spots are filled up)? im still not 100percent committed... but it would still be nice to know. thanks!!

Pretty sure that the offer from GW is not going to be very competitive with Cornell, but I think you should try to negotiate. You might start by just not sharing the other offers since they aren't really in the same rank area (that's how they will see it). Something like "I'd like to go here, but couldn't afford it at this price bc of XYZ." They might start moving right away.

Alternatively, you could start with GW and try and get them to raise their offer, and then once that happens USC, and then hopefully Cornell would have to take them a little more seriously. At this point, they know that if they don't give you any more that they are your best option by far. Def give it go, bc they will want your LSAT especially this cycle. Good luck!

As to housing, I don't have enough perspective really as I was pretty set on Terrace for the conveniences during 1L and bc I have the money saved up from working. I'll bet late spring early summer is when everything gets snapped up tho. I'll bet Lavitz can chime in here too?

thanks man! ill let yall know what happens

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:44 pm

Cornell matched my GULC to 135k! See you all in ithaca this fall!

Edit: I emailed them last Wednesday, sent another today since I didn't even get an confirmation.

commandercup

Postby commandercup » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:53 pm

canadianbrother wrote:Cornell matched my GULC to 135k! See you all in ithaca this fall!

Edit: I emailed them last Wednesday, sent another today since I didn't even get an confirmation.

I just received my renegotiated scholarship as well! PM for details.

TheatreofDreams1

Postby TheatreofDreams1 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:15 pm

Back to housing questions...Lavitz, hopefully you're still checking in on us.

Does anyone know where I can get something for under $1000 that is close to the law school? For some reason I feel as if all the Collegetown apartments I see are more than this. No idea why rent in Ithaca is so expensive.

FWIW, if anyone else is looking for something similar, please PM me.

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:48 pm

TheatreofDreams1 wrote:Back to housing questions...Lavitz, hopefully you're still checking in on us.

Does anyone know where I can get something for under $1000 that is close to the law school? For some reason I feel as if all the Collegetown apartments I see are more than this. No idea why rent in Ithaca is so expensive.

FWIW, if anyone else is looking for something similar, please PM me.

I'm a big proponent of Hughes and 13 South Ave (campus housing). I think those two options are the easiest, most hassle-free places you can rent for sub-1000. If you're averse to living in campus housing, I would simply suggest Craiglist.

Ithaca's weird in that apartment complexes are in the minority around here; most 1Ls who don't live in Hughes/CollegeTown Terrace/13 South Ave live in [older] houses that contain anywhere from four to fifteen bedrooms. You can find room openings on Craiglist.

As for your question about the steep housing costs: I posed the same question to the owner of a restaurant in Collegetown and he told me (take this for what it's worth)

"Cornell owns roughly 55% of the land-area of Ithaca and Ithaca College owns like 8%....both institutions are exempt from property taxes... So 37% of private-property owners are paying the equivalent of 100% of the property taxes required to keep Ithaca up-and-running...which we simply pass on to you guys."

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:48 pm

I don't know enough about tax as a 1L to dispute that so I simply responded "oh! seems legit"

Cornell11111111

Postby Cornell11111111 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:06 pm

To the 0L who spoke in Property: no one is going to like you if you do that.

When you start class, most people will know as much as you do/be as smart as you. If you act like you're hot stuff by trying to show off, they won't be impressed. They will hate you because they can tell you think you're great. Those that would have liked you for being smart in undergrad will have ample other people to befriend that won't be social poison/arrogant jerks but are still just as smart.

This is not hostility because you're better than them, or that you're trying, or anything like that. Don't tell yourself a story to make it so that they're just jealous about how great you are. They won't like you because you don't know how to behave. By the way, the most important thing you can do in law school is make friends. Even people in the median get amazing jobs: there's not really much of a difference in employment prospects between top 10% and top 50% apart from prestige/clerkships. But prestige and clerkships supplement careers, they don't make them. What makes a career is connections, and you will not establish those if you keep up what you're doing.

Anyway, I hope you can understand this post as not being an insult to you, or an attack on what you did. I tried to show off in the beginning of school too, and I was lucky enough to catch what I was doing before it screwed the rest of my year. Take my advice and enjoy law school.

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:37 pm

Cornell11111111 wrote:To the 0L who spoke in Property: no one is going to like you if you do that.

When you start class, most people will know as much as you do/be as smart as you. If you act like you're hot stuff by trying to show off, they won't be impressed. They will hate you because they can tell you think you're great. Those that would have liked you for being smart in undergrad will have ample other people to befriend that won't be social poison/arrogant jerks but are still just as smart.

This is not hostility because you're better than them, or that you're trying, or anything like that. Don't tell yourself a story to make it so that they're just jealous about how great you are. They won't like you because you don't know how to behave. By the way, the most important thing you can do in law school is make friends. Even people in the median get amazing jobs: there's not really much of a difference in employment prospects between top 10% and top 50% apart from prestige/clerkships. But prestige and clerkships supplement careers, they don't make them. What makes a career is connections, and you will not establish those if you keep up what you're doing.

Anyway, I hope you can understand this post as not being an insult to you, or an attack on what you did. I tried to show off in the beginning of school too, and I was lucky enough to catch what I was doing before it screwed the rest of my year. Take my advice and enjoy law school.

You made a brand new TLS account to comment (1) on something that happened almost a week ago, and (2) something that was discussed a few pages back. You're being that guy/girl; please, don't be that guy/girl. You're better than that (I would know, since I'm in that class and all my classmates are awesome).

future!jd12

Postby future!jd12 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:46 pm

where did everyone send their scholarship negotiation email to? Financial Aid email? Also if someone could PM me their email so I have an idea that would be awesome!

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:54 pm

TheatreofDreams1 wrote:Back to housing questions...Lavitz, hopefully you're still checking in on us.

Does anyone know where I can get something for under $1000 that is close to the law school? For some reason I feel as if all the Collegetown apartments I see are more than this.

Are you looking for a studio/1BR or are you willing to have roommates? My studio is exactly $1000 and close to the law school. There are a few others in my building that are around $850, but they've been signed for a while. The good stuff goes early, so I did Hughes and then signed a nice place for 2L in November.

Anyway, I don't know of anyplace to look other than craigslist for cheap places in collegetown. People should start looking for roommates on the facebook group sometime soon, I would imagine.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”