Cornell Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
User avatar
LawBron James
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby LawBron James » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:47 pm

NutellaDipity wrote:
Skool wrote:Did anyone not receive the email regarding the financial aid sheet?


I didn't, but I mailed mine on Saturday, so maybe they didn't process it yet?

Not to scare you, but I sent mine in the day before and got the e-mail.

User avatar
Lavitz
Posts: 3098
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 1:39 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby Lavitz » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:53 pm

LawBron James wrote:
NutellaDipity wrote:I didn't, but I mailed mine on Saturday, so maybe they didn't process it yet?

Not to scare you, but I sent mine in the day before and got the e-mail.

I think I can explain this:
NutellaDipity wrote:mailed

User avatar
NutellaDipity
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:07 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby NutellaDipity » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:00 pm

Lavitz wrote:
LawBron James wrote:
NutellaDipity wrote:I didn't, but I mailed mine on Saturday, so maybe they didn't process it yet?

Not to scare you, but I sent mine in the day before and got the e-mail.

I think I can explain this:
NutellaDipity wrote:mailed


thanks for preventing a major freak-out, lavitz

CFC1524
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:50 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby CFC1524 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:38 pm

LawBron James wrote:
NutellaDipity wrote:
Skool wrote:Did anyone not receive the email regarding the financial aid sheet?


I didn't, but I mailed mine on Saturday, so maybe they didn't process it yet?

Not to scare you, but I sent mine in the day before and got the e-mail.


Mind saying what time you sent in your stuff? I emailed my info in the afternoon on Tuesday so I wasn't worried when I didn't get the email on Wednesday. That said, I might get a little worried if you sent yours in the afternoon as well

User avatar
LawBron James
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby LawBron James » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:49 pm

CFC1524 wrote:
LawBron James wrote:
NutellaDipity wrote:
Skool wrote:Did anyone not receive the email regarding the financial aid sheet?


I didn't, but I mailed mine on Saturday, so maybe they didn't process it yet?

Not to scare you, but I sent mine in the day before and got the e-mail.


Mind saying what time you sent in your stuff? I emailed my info in the afternoon on Tuesday so I wasn't worried when I didn't get the email on Wednesday. That said, I might get a little worried if you sent yours in the afternoon as well

I sent it around 2 eastern, got a response from the financial aid office later that afternoon, and then the email the next morning. I've had my FAFSA stuff in for a while, so maybe that's why it moved so quickly.

And good catch Lavitz, I didn't see that.

sheishkabob
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby sheishkabob » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:11 pm

Hey guys, how are you sending your tax returns? Is by email acceptable? Cover letter necessary?

slurpy
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:23 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby slurpy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:48 pm

sheishkabob wrote:Hey guys, how are you sending your tax returns? Is by email acceptable? Cover letter necessary?


I called and asked if I could email tax returns and the person very sternly told me no. Apparently it's not secure enough. She said to fax or mail.

sheishkabob
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby sheishkabob » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

slurpy wrote:
sheishkabob wrote:Hey guys, how are you sending your tax returns? Is by email acceptable? Cover letter necessary?


I called and asked if I could email tax returns and the person very sternly told me no. Apparently it's not secure enough. She said to fax or mail.


Damn, thanks for the answer

CFC1524
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:50 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby CFC1524 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:24 pm

slurpy wrote:
sheishkabob wrote:Hey guys, how are you sending your tax returns? Is by email acceptable? Cover letter necessary?


I called and asked if I could email tax returns and the person very sternly told me no. Apparently it's not secure enough. She said to fax or mail.


Thanks for the info. They list an email address on the financial aid sheet. This must be in case people want to use a fax to send an email?

User avatar
WeeBey
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby WeeBey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:48 pm

Doesn't the form have to be mailed or faxed?

I faxed mine in today and did needaccess a while ago.

User avatar
NutellaDipity
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:07 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby NutellaDipity » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:31 pm

canadianbrother wrote:Doesn't the form have to be mailed or faxed?

I faxed mine in today and did needaccess a while ago.


yup, mailed mine.

User avatar
WeeBey
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby WeeBey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:49 pm

NutellaDipity wrote:
canadianbrother wrote:Doesn't the form have to be mailed or faxed?

I faxed mine in today and did needaccess a while ago.


yup, mailed mine.


Yea I faxed it, Ill probably email them tmrw to confirm if they received it.

User avatar
WeeBey
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby WeeBey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:58 pm

Cornell is my top school but I'm currently faced with a tough decision.

GULC offered me a 120k (and the option to waive my deposit), and if Cornell were to match it I'd be there 100%. Now I'm debating whether I should:

1. Wait for Cornell to make an offer and if its less to ask them to match GULC's offer.

2. Jump the gun and let them know of GULC's before of their offer and to tell them I'll be there 100% if they match it. My reasoning is that hopefully this would give them an opportunity to match GULC's offer while their scholly pool is still full, and that I'll let them know exactly what it will take for me to come.

What are your thoughts guys?

User avatar
WeeBey
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:23 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby WeeBey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:48 pm

How much should someone expect to pay for a one bedroom or studio in CollegeTown and Downtown?

And what are the rates at Hughes?

User avatar
betty_bojangles
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:50 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby betty_bojangles » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:17 pm

slurpy wrote:
sheishkabob wrote:Hey guys, how are you sending your tax returns? Is by email acceptable? Cover letter necessary?


I called and asked if I could email tax returns and the person very sternly told me no. Apparently it's not secure enough. She said to fax or mail.


I emailed everything a while ago and they responded saying thank you and that they received it. They didn't seem bothered by it.

User avatar
Skool
Posts: 1028
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby Skool » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:48 pm

betty_bojangles wrote:
slurpy wrote:
sheishkabob wrote:Hey guys, how are you sending your tax returns? Is by email acceptable? Cover letter necessary?


I called and asked if I could email tax returns and the person very sternly told me no. Apparently it's not secure enough. She said to fax or mail.


I emailed everything a while ago and they responded saying thank you and that they received it. They didn't seem bothered by it.
+1

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:51 pm

Was wondering why I didn't get anything and then I realized I had to submit my parent's 2013 forms instead of 2014 forms because they didn't have them ready :(

User avatar
runinthefront
Posts: 1105
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:18 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby runinthefront » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:55 pm

canadianbrother wrote:How much should someone expect to pay for a one bedroom or studio in CollegeTown and Downtown?

And what are the rates at Hughes?


https://living.sas.cornell.edu/live/con ... frates.cfm

I would recommend Hughes/13 South if you want to live close...they're basically the same in terms of proximity to the law school (i.e., mere steps from the law school).

I don't know what the rates are around Collegetown, but I know many law students who live in collegetown terrace (which is nice but real expensive for ithaca/in general)

http://collegetownterraceithaca.com/

I'm relatively unfamiliar with housing rates for collegetown/ downtown, but my friends are paying anywhere from 575-700 to live in 3 to 15 bedroom houses/apartments, so I can imagine studios and 1 bedrooms being 800-1000+

CFC1524
Posts: 194
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:50 am

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby CFC1524 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:27 am

ChemEng1642 wrote:Was wondering why I didn't get anything and then I realized I had to submit my parent's 2013 forms instead of 2014 forms because they didn't have them ready :(


The PDF I got with my acceptance says that 2013 forms are fine if your parents haven't filed yet, and that Cornell would ask for your 2014 forms upon matriculation. I think you're fine in this regard.

sheishkabob
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby sheishkabob » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:47 am

CFC1524 wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:Was wondering why I didn't get anything and then I realized I had to submit my parent's 2013 forms instead of 2014 forms because they didn't have them ready :(


The PDF I got with my acceptance says that 2013 forms are fine if your parents haven't filed yet, and that Cornell would ask for your 2014 forms upon matriculation. I think you're fine in this regard.


Wait..I haven't sent any tax forms (2013 or otherwise)...but I got the email about being considered for aid? I'm going to send my tax stuff tomorrow via fax, have you guys all sent 2013 info or am I alone here?

User avatar
NotASpecialSnowflake
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby NotASpecialSnowflake » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:25 am

sheishkabob wrote:
CFC1524 wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:Was wondering why I didn't get anything and then I realized I had to submit my parent's 2013 forms instead of 2014 forms because they didn't have them ready :(


The PDF I got with my acceptance says that 2013 forms are fine if your parents haven't filed yet, and that Cornell would ask for your 2014 forms upon matriculation. I think you're fine in this regard.


Wait..I haven't sent any tax forms (2013 or otherwise)...but I got the email about being considered for aid? I'm going to send my tax stuff tomorrow via fax, have you guys all sent 2013 info or am I alone here?


I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that tax forms are only needed for need aid. For merit they just need the form.

Edit: damn I wish I knew I could use 2013 forms. I picked only merit bc my parents procrastinated on their taxes. I'm guessing I can't change after I send it in

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby ChemEng1642 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:53 pm

CFC1524 wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:Was wondering why I didn't get anything and then I realized I had to submit my parent's 2013 forms instead of 2014 forms because they didn't have them ready :(


The PDF I got with my acceptance says that 2013 forms are fine if your parents haven't filed yet, and that Cornell would ask for your 2014 forms upon matriculation. I think you're fine in this regard.


Oh then I have no idea :( maybe because I emailed instead of mailed/faxed?

User avatar
NutellaDipity
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:07 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby NutellaDipity » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:58 pm

canadianbrother wrote:Cornell is my top school but I'm currently faced with a tough decision.

GULC offered me a 120k (and the option to waive my deposit), and if Cornell were to match it I'd be there 100%. Now I'm debating whether I should:

1. Wait for Cornell to make an offer and if its less to ask them to match GULC's offer.

2. Jump the gun and let them know of GULC's before of their offer and to tell them I'll be there 100% if they match it. My reasoning is that hopefully this would give them an opportunity to match GULC's offer while their scholly pool is still full, and that I'll let them know exactly what it will take for me to come.

What are your thoughts guys?


I'm in the same situation with Mich and Berkeley, and a current student at Berkeley told me to just submit the matching form now, but I'm not sure. I'm waiting to see what I get as is, and I hope it's not the biggest mistake.

sheishkabob
Posts: 179
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 7:40 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby sheishkabob » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:28 pm

NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:
sheishkabob wrote:
CFC1524 wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:Was wondering why I didn't get anything and then I realized I had to submit my parent's 2013 forms instead of 2014 forms because they didn't have them ready :(


The PDF I got with my acceptance says that 2013 forms are fine if your parents haven't filed yet, and that Cornell would ask for your 2014 forms upon matriculation. I think you're fine in this regard.


Wait..I haven't sent any tax forms (2013 or otherwise)...but I got the email about being considered for aid? I'm going to send my tax stuff tomorrow via fax, have you guys all sent 2013 info or am I alone here?


I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that tax forms are only needed for need aid. For merit they just need the form.

Edit: damn I wish I knew I could use 2013 forms. I picked only merit bc my parents procrastinated on their taxes. I'm guessing I can't change after I send it in


Damn, I'm gunning for some need-aid. I just faxed mine so hopefully they'll still consider for need-aid :/

nawi226
Posts: 64
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:51 pm

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Postby nawi226 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:38 pm

Anyone able to say how long it usually takes between submitting financial aid info and an offer? Just curious, really. I've received near full tuition at both GWU and USC, and money at every school I've gotten into. If I get a decent amount from Cornell it's a done deal in my eyes.




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest