Cornell Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
LawBron James

Bronze

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Post by LawBron James » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:47 pm

NutellaDipity wrote:
Skool wrote:Did anyone not receive the email regarding the financial aid sheet?
I didn't, but I mailed mine on Saturday, so maybe they didn't process it yet?
Not to scare you, but I sent mine in the day before and got the e-mail.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:53 pm

LawBron James wrote:
NutellaDipity wrote:I didn't, but I mailed mine on Saturday, so maybe they didn't process it yet?
I think I can explain this:
NutellaDipity wrote:mailed

NutellaDipity

New

Post by NutellaDipity » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:00 pm

Lavitz wrote:
LawBron James wrote:
NutellaDipity wrote:I didn't, but I mailed mine on Saturday, so maybe they didn't process it yet?
I think I can explain this:
NutellaDipity wrote:mailed
thanks for preventing a major freak-out, lavitz

CFC1524

Bronze

Post by CFC1524 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:38 pm

LawBron James wrote:
NutellaDipity wrote:
Mind saying what time you sent in your stuff? I emailed my info in the afternoon on Tuesday so I wasn't worried when I didn't get the email on Wednesday. That said, I might get a little worried if you sent yours in the afternoon as well

LawBron James

Bronze

Post by LawBron James » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:49 pm

CFC1524 wrote:
LawBron James wrote:
NutellaDipity wrote:
Mind saying what time you sent in your stuff? I emailed my info in the afternoon on Tuesday so I wasn't worried when I didn't get the email on Wednesday. That said, I might get a little worried if you sent yours in the afternoon as well
I sent it around 2 eastern, got a response from the financial aid office later that afternoon, and then the email the next morning. I've had my FAFSA stuff in for a while, so maybe that's why it moved so quickly.

And good catch Lavitz, I didn't see that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sheishkabob

Bronze

Post by sheishkabob » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:11 pm

Hey guys, how are you sending your tax returns? Is by email acceptable? Cover letter necessary?

slurpy

New

Post by slurpy » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:48 pm

sheishkabob wrote:Hey guys, how are you sending your tax returns? Is by email acceptable? Cover letter necessary?
I called and asked if I could email tax returns and the person very sternly told me no. Apparently it's not secure enough. She said to fax or mail.

sheishkabob

Bronze

Post by sheishkabob » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:09 pm

slurpy wrote:
sheishkabob wrote:Hey guys, how are you sending your tax returns? Is by email acceptable? Cover letter necessary?
I called and asked if I could email tax returns and the person very sternly told me no. Apparently it's not secure enough. She said to fax or mail.
Damn, thanks for the answer

CFC1524

Bronze

Post by CFC1524 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:24 pm

slurpy wrote:
Thanks for the info. They list an email address on the financial aid sheet. This must be in case people want to use a fax to send an email?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:48 pm

Doesn't the form have to be mailed or faxed?

I faxed mine in today and did needaccess a while ago.

NutellaDipity

New

Post by NutellaDipity » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:31 pm

canadianbrother wrote:Doesn't the form have to be mailed or faxed?

yup, mailed mine.

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:49 pm

NutellaDipity wrote:
canadianbrother wrote:Doesn't the form have to be mailed or faxed?

yup, mailed mine.
Yea I faxed it, Ill probably email them tmrw to confirm if they received it.

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:58 pm

Cornell is my top school but I'm currently faced with a tough decision.

GULC offered me a 120k (and the option to waive my deposit), and if Cornell were to match it I'd be there 100%. Now I'm debating whether I should:

1. Wait for Cornell to make an offer and if its less to ask them to match GULC's offer.

2. Jump the gun and let them know of GULC's before of their offer and to tell them I'll be there 100% if they match it. My reasoning is that hopefully this would give them an opportunity to match GULC's offer while their scholly pool is still full, and that I'll let them know exactly what it will take for me to come.

What are your thoughts guys?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:48 pm

How much should someone expect to pay for a one bedroom or studio in CollegeTown and Downtown?

And what are the rates at Hughes?

betty_bojangles

Bronze

Post by betty_bojangles » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:17 pm

slurpy wrote:
I emailed everything a while ago and they responded saying thank you and that they received it. They didn't seem bothered by it.

Skool

Silver

Post by Skool » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:48 pm

betty_bojangles wrote:
slurpy wrote:
I emailed everything a while ago and they responded saying thank you and that they received it. They didn't seem bothered by it.
+1

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:51 pm

Was wondering why I didn't get anything and then I realized I had to submit my parent's 2013 forms instead of 2014 forms because they didn't have them ready :(

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:55 pm

canadianbrother wrote:How much should someone expect to pay for a one bedroom or studio in CollegeTown and Downtown?

And what are the rates at Hughes?
https://living.sas.cornell.edu/live/con ... frates.cfm

I would recommend Hughes/13 South if you want to live close...they're basically the same in terms of proximity to the law school (i.e., mere steps from the law school).

I don't know what the rates are around Collegetown, but I know many law students who live in collegetown terrace (which is nice but real expensive for ithaca/in general)

http://collegetownterraceithaca.com/

I'm relatively unfamiliar with housing rates for collegetown/ downtown, but my friends are paying anywhere from 575-700 to live in 3 to 15 bedroom houses/apartments, so I can imagine studios and 1 bedrooms being 800-1000+
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

CFC1524

Bronze

Post by CFC1524 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:27 am

ChemEng1642 wrote:Was wondering why I didn't get anything and then I realized I had to submit my parent's 2013 forms instead of 2014 forms because they didn't have them ready :(
The PDF I got with my acceptance says that 2013 forms are fine if your parents haven't filed yet, and that Cornell would ask for your 2014 forms upon matriculation. I think you're fine in this regard.

sheishkabob

Bronze

Post by sheishkabob » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:47 am

CFC1524 wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:Was wondering why I didn't get anything and then I realized I had to submit my parent's 2013 forms instead of 2014 forms because they didn't have them ready :(
The PDF I got with my acceptance says that 2013 forms are fine if your parents haven't filed yet, and that Cornell would ask for your 2014 forms upon matriculation. I think you're fine in this regard.
Wait..I haven't sent any tax forms (2013 or otherwise)...but I got the email about being considered for aid? I'm going to send my tax stuff tomorrow via fax, have you guys all sent 2013 info or am I alone here?

NotASpecialSnowflake

Bronze

Post by NotASpecialSnowflake » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:25 am

sheishkabob wrote:
CFC1524 wrote:
Wait..I haven't sent any tax forms (2013 or otherwise)...but I got the email about being considered for aid? I'm going to send my tax stuff tomorrow via fax, have you guys all sent 2013 info or am I alone here?
I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that tax forms are only needed for need aid. For merit they just need the form.

Edit: damn I wish I knew I could use 2013 forms. I picked only merit bc my parents procrastinated on their taxes. I'm guessing I can't change after I send it in

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:53 pm

CFC1524 wrote:
Oh then I have no idea :( maybe because I emailed instead of mailed/faxed?

NutellaDipity

New

Post by NutellaDipity » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:58 pm

canadianbrother wrote:Cornell is my top school but I'm currently faced with a tough decision.

GULC offered me a 120k (and the option to waive my deposit), and if Cornell were to match it I'd be there 100%. Now I'm debating whether I should:

1. Wait for Cornell to make an offer and if its less to ask them to match GULC's offer.

2. Jump the gun and let them know of GULC's before of their offer and to tell them I'll be there 100% if they match it. My reasoning is that hopefully this would give them an opportunity to match GULC's offer while their scholly pool is still full, and that I'll let them know exactly what it will take for me to come.

What are your thoughts guys?
I'm in the same situation with Mich and Berkeley, and a current student at Berkeley told me to just submit the matching form now, but I'm not sure. I'm waiting to see what I get as is, and I hope it's not the biggest mistake.

sheishkabob

Bronze

Post by sheishkabob » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:28 pm

NotASpecialSnowflake wrote:
sheishkabob wrote:
CFC1524 wrote:
I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that tax forms are only needed for need aid. For merit they just need the form.

Edit: damn I wish I knew I could use 2013 forms. I picked only merit bc my parents procrastinated on their taxes. I'm guessing I can't change after I send it in
Damn, I'm gunning for some need-aid. I just faxed mine so hopefully they'll still consider for need-aid :/

nawi226

New

Post by nawi226 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:38 pm

Anyone able to say how long it usually takes between submitting financial aid info and an offer? Just curious, really. I've received near full tuition at both GWU and USC, and money at every school I've gotten into. If I get a decent amount from Cornell it's a done deal in my eyes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”