Cornell Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
runinthefront

Gold

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Post by runinthefront » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:59 pm

Apparently Dean P was one of the most beloved professors at the time he left to UChi sooooo yeah I'm sure he's at least as good (and probably much, much better) than UK and Alexander. Then again, I only have experience with UK so idk

and can you imagine A+ prop or torts and then asking for a clerkship LoR or something

it's just so....clutch
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:13 pm

runinthefront wrote: I only have experience with UK so idk
Exactly. You have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm sure Dean P is better than Alexander in the aggregate, but Alexander's memorable quotes cannot be topped.

Yeezus

Bronze

Post by Yeezus » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:51 pm

WeeBey wrote:Did anybody recieve anything about the health forms? I havent, and I just went on the site and saw it had a June 17th deadline...
First I've heard of it.

DebtAverse

New

Post by DebtAverse » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:54 pm

Hi all, I've been lurking for a while, but I'm headed to Ithaca in the fall!

Anyway, I was just browsing the class schedule and it looks like some classes are missing in some 1L sections..has anyone else noticed the same thing? Every 4-credit class should meet 4 times per week, right?

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:58 pm

DebtAverse wrote:Hi all, I've been lurking for a while, but I'm headed to Ithaca in the fall!

Anyway, I was just browsing the class schedule and it looks like some classes are missing in some 1L sections..has anyone else noticed the same thing? Every 4-credit class should meet 4 times per week, right?
Notice that some 4 credit classes are 55 minutes long, and some are 1 hour and 15 minutes long.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DebtAverse

New

Post by DebtAverse » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:14 am

runinthefront wrote:
DebtAverse wrote:Hi all, I've been lurking for a while, but I'm headed to Ithaca in the fall!

Notice that some 4 credit classes are 55 minutes long, and some are 1 hour and 15 minutes long.
Ah, thanks for the mathematical clarity. :)

nawi226

New

Post by nawi226 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:37 pm

This is probably something that has a different answer every year or two, but any knowledge of when we should arrive in Ithaca? I know classes start the 28th, but I'm not sure how much earlier we should arrive. I am living in Hughes, and the contract starts the 22nd I believe...

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:47 pm

nawi226 wrote:This is probably something that has a different answer every year or two, but any knowledge of when we should arrive in Ithaca? I know classes start the 28th, but I'm not sure how much earlier we should arrive. I am living in Hughes, and the contract starts the 22nd I believe...
Then you should arrive when your contract starts. If you weren't in Hughes, it would be nice to arrive earlier to have more time to get settled, but it's not a big deal.

CFC1524

Bronze

Post by CFC1524 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:40 pm

Anyone mind sharing how much they spend on food (groceries, bars, eating out etc) per week in Ithaca? Trying to figure out a budget, and I'm not sure how much I should include

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nawi226

New

Post by nawi226 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:08 pm

So I've been told that financial aid disburses 10 days before classes start. Does anyone know when the loan refund reaches us? Is it the same day, or later on?

hodzdoh

New

Post by hodzdoh » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:46 pm

anyone know if it matters that it says meal plans should be signed up for by may 1st?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:56 pm

hodzdoh wrote:anyone know if it matters that it says meal plans should be signed up for by may 1st?
No, it does not matter.

Yeezus

Bronze

Post by Yeezus » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:58 am

Is there a specific date the Financial Aid forms are due? I'm still trying to figure out some stuff. I've looked through the email and the form, and I don't see a due date.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CFC1524

Bronze

Post by CFC1524 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:04 pm

Yeezus wrote:Is there a specific date the Financial Aid forms are due? I'm still trying to figure out some stuff. I've looked through the email and the form, and I don't see a due date.
Not exactly sure myself - this is from one of the emails we got:
Ideally, if you submit your by July 1st, we will have it processed in time for it to post to your first bursar bill as pending aid. Please note that after July 1st you certainly may submit it, however the pending aid may not show on your first bursar bill. Bursar bills are updated once a month.
I think the biggest thing is to make sure that all of our aid (including loans) is credited towards the bill due August 1st. The quote above makes it sound like the earlier you submit the forms (specifically before July 1), the more likely this happens - that said, I'm not sure what Cornell does if your aid hasn't been processed by the time the bill is due

sashafierce

Bronze

Post by sashafierce » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:14 pm

Just received my invite to the AOP program! Looking forward to meeting you all in a few weeks :D

Ithacation

New

Post by Ithacation » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:19 pm

Hi all - I'm a recent Cornell law grad, and I wanted to share this ad for a room in a two bedroom on behalf of a friend of mine who is working on her PhD at Cornell.

For any of you who are still looking for housing, details and contact info for the apt can be found here: http://ithaca.craigslist.org/roo/5105496223.html The apartment is convenient to the law school, and my friend is easy-going and fun, but will absolutely respect your space and need for quiet study time during 1L.

Enjoy the rest of your summer before starting classes!

TheatreofDreams

New

Post by TheatreofDreams » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:53 pm

Does anyone have insight on the Cornell meal plan?

It seems rather expensive. Are most students on this plan?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:57 pm

TheatreofDreams wrote:Does anyone have insight on the Cornell meal plan?

Not most people living outside or Hughes, no. I don't know how many people in Hughes/13 South Ave have a meal plan, but few people outside of campus housing do.

The dining halls are really excellent though, no joke (then again I'm a poor so idk how much weight you should give to this opinion)
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheatreofDreams

New

Post by TheatreofDreams » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:08 pm

runinthefront wrote:

Not most people living outside or Hughes, no. I don't know how many people in Hughes/13 South Ave have a meal plan, but few people outside of campus housing do.

The dining halls are really excellent though, no joke (then again I'm a poor so idk how much weight you should give to this opinion)
I'll be pretty poor too, so I think your opinion is worth even more!

nawi226

New

Post by nawi226 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:55 pm

TheatreofDreams wrote:
runinthefront wrote:

I'll be pretty poor too, so I think your opinion is worth even more!
Poors unite!

EspadaFCB

New

Post by EspadaFCB » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:43 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
runinthefront wrote:I feel like I came to Cornell one year too early

property/torts with Dean P/Schwab seems clutch
There's no way Schwab is better than Heise. Nor can Dean P beat Alexander and his "Mad Men" moment.
Dean P seems like he would be one of the best property professors ever. When he did his review session and started going off on the takings clause. Straight up killed it (and this is coming from someone who had only utter disdain for property). Enjoy it future 1Ls.
I second this. That review session was good.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:29 pm

EspadaFCB wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:Dean P seems like he would be one of the best property professors ever. When he did his review session and started going off on the takings clause. Straight up killed it (and this is coming from someone who had only utter disdain for property). Enjoy it future 1Ls.
I second this. That review session was good.
Except now it looks like he won't be teaching Property after all. But he'll be teaching Land Use for the upperclassmen. Sorry, 0Ls. https://support.law.cornell.edu/Student ... tegory.cfm

hodzdoh

New

Post by hodzdoh » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:24 pm

to current students: i have a question regarding supplements for class (you can say i am having pre-semester jitters). Are they necessary? is it impossible to get a good grade without them (emanuel's outlines, flashcards, etc)?? and if they are generally a good investment, how do i know which ones are the best? would it depend on the professor? any insight would be appreciated. thank you all!

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:28 pm

hodzdoh wrote:to current students: i have a question regarding supplements for class (you can say i am having pre-semester jitters). Are they necessary? is it impossible to get a good grade without them (emanuel's outlines, flashcards, etc)?? and if they are generally a good investment, how do i know which ones are the best? would it depend on the professor? any insight would be appreciated. thank you all!
It 100% depends on the professor. I used a supplement for every class, but only after reading each case 1 or 2 times depending on my level of understanding.

I think the only supplements that are pretty much universally used are Chemerinsky's conlaw treatise, Freer's Civ Pro treatise, and Dressler's Crim Law supplement. They were good investments for me, but I used them as supplements.

I know people who did really well here without using a single supplement, though, so YMMV.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wol

New

Post by Wol » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:02 pm

hodzdoh wrote:to current students: i have a question regarding supplements for class (you can say i am having pre-semester jitters). Are they necessary? is it impossible to get a good grade without them (emanuel's outlines, flashcards, etc)?? and if they are generally a good investment, how do i know which ones are the best? would it depend on the professor? any insight would be appreciated. thank you all!
I found them absolutely essential. They're the only way I learned anything. I skipped a lot of readings/ class, but still did very well through supplements. Other people don't use them much at all. I know it's probably an unsatisfying answer, but you really have to find what works for you.

Your first semester I'd recommend Hillman's hornbook for contracts, Freer for civpro, the E&E for torts, and Chemerinsky for conlaw. Hillman and Freer are especially good. The torts E&E is just ok, but has a really nice section at the end on how to take law school exams. Chemerinsky is expensive and waaay longer than it should be but has some good info if you skip over all the fluff.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”