Cornell Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)
Lavitz

Gold

Re: Cornell Class of 2018

Post by Lavitz » Mon May 04, 2015 11:55 am

Alhe5015 wrote:So re AOP, when does it start? Is there housing available for it, if our leases dont start till later on
Starts one week before orientation starts, and therefore if you live in Hughes, you may move in one week earlier.

But if you do not live in Hughes and you're asking if there's temporary housing because your off-campus lease doesn't start yet, no, I've never heard of that.

bhowton

New

Post by bhowton » Mon May 04, 2015 12:00 pm

AOP?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon May 04, 2015 12:04 pm

Lavitz wrote:Academic Orientation Program
  • In mid-July, most students who submitted a diversity statement with their application will be invited to attend AOP.
  • If you would like to attend but did not receive an e-mail, you can try contacting admissions and telling them you wrote a diversity statement but didn't get invited to AOP. Or you can contact Sheri Johnson directly.
  • Begins Monday, August 17th. Involves week-long mock class; establishes welcoming environment.
  • Historical justification

penguinJAM

New

Post by penguinJAM » Mon May 04, 2015 1:57 pm

So I submitted my housing application on Saturday and I just got an email stating that all the housing assignments have been made. At this point, what are the chances that I'd get a spot in Hughes?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Mon May 04, 2015 2:09 pm

penguinJAM wrote:So I submitted my housing application on Saturday and I just got an email stating that all the housing assignments have been made. At this point, what are the chances that I'd get a spot in Hughes?
Approaching 0%. Almost everyone else on the waitlist would have to find something else, and someone in Hughes who already deposited would have to withdraw.

Assume that you will not get into Hughes, and plan accordingly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

penguinJAM

New

Post by penguinJAM » Mon May 04, 2015 2:22 pm

Lavitz wrote:
penguinJAM wrote:So I submitted my housing application on Saturday and I just got an email stating that all the housing assignments have been made. At this point, what are the chances that I'd get a spot in Hughes?
Approaching 0%. Almost everyone else on the waitlist would have to find something else, and someone in Hughes who already deposited would have to withdraw.

Ah, that blows. I requested to join the Facebook group to hopefully find some roommates. Do I need to send the administrators proof that I got in, or do I just have to wait for them to accept my request?

Kinky John

Silver

Post by Kinky John » Mon May 04, 2015 2:23 pm

penguinJAM wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

Ah, that blows. I requested to join the Facebook group to hopefully find some roommates. Do I need to send the administrators proof that I got in, or do I just have to wait for them to accept my request?
The latter

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Mon May 04, 2015 3:15 pm

Does Ithaca have a disc golf course? Likewise, anyone know if sport climbing is a thing? Gorges and all, I thought it might be.

penguinJAM

New

Post by penguinJAM » Mon May 04, 2015 3:18 pm

Kinky John wrote:
penguinJAM wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

The latter
Last question, I promise! How adverse an effect will not living in Hughes (or with law students in general) have on one's social life?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Mon May 04, 2015 3:29 pm

I'm living off-campus with the mind of saving and preserving my future friendships. I'd be the guy losing his shit over finding his gallon of milk half-empty, or getting all anal-retentive and washing dishes I didn't dirty.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν: Know thyself.

toothbrush

Gold

Post by toothbrush » Mon May 04, 2015 3:32 pm

penguinJAM wrote: Last question, I promise! How adverse an effect will not living in Hughes (or with law students in general) have on one's social life?
Pretty close to zero.

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Mon May 04, 2015 10:31 pm

toothbrush wrote:
penguinJAM wrote: Last question, I promise! How adverse an effect will not living in Hughes (or with law students in general) have on one's social life?
Pretty close to zero.
Pretty much this. Honestly, your social life is what you put into it. Hughes kids do have a close connection, but you'll get that if you are forced to live with a group of people in the same place at all times. That being said, so much happens either in the halls of Myron Taylor or outside of Ithaca that it truly does not matter whether you are in Hughes or not. Plus just make friends with kids in Hughes and you'll likely find out about the happenings there anyway.

my 2¢.

hodzdoh

New

Post by hodzdoh » Tue May 05, 2015 7:16 pm

anyone looking to share an apartment in ct terrace? lets talk!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yeezus

Bronze

Post by Yeezus » Wed May 06, 2015 3:50 pm

Finally heard back about negotiation, after calling for the fourth time. Apparently they sent an email a week or so ago that I never got. I got that bump, and now I'm all in :D .

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Wed May 06, 2015 6:31 pm

Yeezus wrote:Finally heard back about negotiation, after calling for the fourth time. Apparently they sent an email a week or so ago that I never got. I got that bump, and now I'm all in :D .
HUGE congrats :)

CFC1524

Bronze

Post by CFC1524 » Wed May 06, 2015 6:54 pm

Not sure how many people follow European soccer, but this is worth watching either way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWDd8quw54g

Verbal description courtesy of SB Nation:
This is an existential debate in soccer form. Messi brought the ball up and Boateng questioned the Argentine on the condition of the human soul. And Messi, without regard for the feelings of his fellow man, reminded Jerome that all things are meaningless in the end and that death comes to all men regardless if he is good or bad. As you can see, it plunged Jerome Boateng into such a personal crisis that his motor functions abandoned him.

scofield0183

New

Post by scofield0183 » Wed May 06, 2015 9:03 pm

So what's the deal with 13 South Ave? I just got an extra large room there but I was never able to find pics of rooms to see what it is actually like... Can anyone help me out? Any pics/comments will be appreciated!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Yeezus

Bronze

Post by Yeezus » Wed May 06, 2015 11:05 pm

CFC1524 wrote:Not sure how many people follow European soccer, but this is worth watching either way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWDd8quw54g

This is an existential debate in soccer form. Messi brought the ball up and Boateng questioned the Argentine on the condition of the human soul. And Messi, without regard for the feelings of his fellow man, reminded Jerome that all things are meaningless in the end and that death comes to all men regardless if he is good or bad. As you can see, it plunged Jerome Boateng into such a personal crisis that his motor functions abandoned him.
Ronaldo>Messi

WeeBey

Silver

Post by WeeBey » Thu May 07, 2015 1:24 am

Yeezus wrote:
CFC1524 wrote:Not sure how many people follow European soccer, but this is worth watching either way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWDd8quw54g

Ronaldo>Messi
Woah woah woah there buddy...

With Messi we have the privilege of witnessing the GOAT

penguinJAM

New

Post by penguinJAM » Thu May 07, 2015 10:39 am

So since the Facebook group is taking forever to let me in, I figure I'll ask here. Anybody looking to share an apartment? If so, PM me!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu May 07, 2015 10:54 am

scofield0183 wrote:So what's the deal with 13 South Ave? I just got an extra large room there but I was never able to find pics of rooms to see what it is actually like... Can anyone help me out? Any pics/comments will be appreciated!
The only people who can answer this are current 1Ls, and they're knee-deep in finals. All I can say is I've heard it's nice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TheatreofDreams1

New

Post by TheatreofDreams1 » Thu May 07, 2015 12:44 pm

@Lavitz: I'll be living at 13 South. So looks like I'll have to fork up the parking fee.

I really want to join the FB group, but haven't told my employer that I'm leaving. I'm FB friends with several coworkers, so didn't want to blow my cover yet. But not being in the group is giving me a serious case of FOMO.

Anyone care to provide highlights? Is there anything cool being discussed?

hairbear7

Silver

Post by hairbear7 » Thu May 07, 2015 12:52 pm

TheatreofDreams1 wrote:@Lavitz: I'll be living at 13 South. So looks like I'll have to fork up the parking fee.

I really want to join the FB group, but haven't told my employer that I'm leaving. I'm FB friends with several coworkers, so didn't want to blow my cover yet. But not being in the group is giving me a serious case of FOMO.

Anyone care to provide highlights? Is there anything cool being discussed?
Just people looking for housing. You aren't missing out on anything cool ;)

hodzdoh

New

Post by hodzdoh » Thu May 07, 2015 1:56 pm

so i just secured a single room in one of the ct terrace buildings, and i was wondering, how reliable is the free shuttle bus? will it get me to class on time or should i just invest in a bike? google maps says its a 17 minute walk from my building :X

Yeezus

Bronze

Post by Yeezus » Thu May 07, 2015 3:20 pm

hodzdoh wrote:so i just secured a single room in one of the ct terrace buildings, and i was wondering, how reliable is the free shuttle bus? will it get me to class on time or should i just invest in a bike? google maps says its a 17 minute walk from my building :X
I did the walk when I visited. Didn't have a stop watch, but I'd guess it was only a little over 10 minutes.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”