Harvard Law School Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where are you in the decision process?

I'll be at HLS next fall!
66%
Still waiting to hear from another school....
3%
Still waiting to hear about financial aid :(
5%
Absolutely unsure
5%
Already withdrew from HLS
21%

Total votes: 136

Nonconsecutive

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue May 12, 2015 4:28 pm

Tealeaves wrote:I was wondering if anyone from a middle/lower-middle class background would be willing to PM me about their grant award and general financial background, I'm a waitlisted student and am trying to get some idea how much aid I would receive since I would need to accept before getting the official offer. Many thanks!

I might be able to give you some general numbers - feel free to PM me if you are still looking for input.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue May 12, 2015 5:37 pm

Last edited by TripTrip on Wed May 13, 2015 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Tue May 12, 2015 9:58 pm

So we don't need to submit transcripts if the transcripts we submitted to LSAC were the final ones, right? Anyone know when that will show up on the status checker?

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue May 12, 2015 11:13 pm

leslieknope wrote:So we don't need to submit transcripts if the transcripts we submitted to LSAC were the final ones, right? Anyone know when that will show up on the status checker?

I am almost positive that I had to directly submit final transcripts to HLS (outside of LSAC) but I might be mistaken.

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Wed May 13, 2015 1:20 am

Nonconsecutive wrote:
leslieknope wrote:So we don't need to submit transcripts if the transcripts we submitted to LSAC were the final ones, right? Anyone know when that will show up on the status checker?

I am almost positive that I had to directly submit final transcripts to HLS (outside of LSAC) but I might be mistaken.

Admitted students website says final transcripts submitted to LSAC during application process are sufficient to meet requirement. My email acknowledgment of my college certification said transcript receipt acknowledgment would begin in June, and we could expect emails then.

stevedubs

Postby stevedubs » Wed May 13, 2015 10:30 am

Nonconsecutive wrote:

I sent an email to 1L2B and received this response:
Angela wrote:Good afternoon—yes, as long as your transcript submitted via LSAC reflects your degree conferral, the only document you need to submit is the college certification.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Wed May 13, 2015 11:32 am

I stand corrected then!

Though they must have changed this, as I checked my UG portal and there is a record of transcripts being sent. Or maybe they just didn't like me. :lol:

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Wed May 13, 2015 11:57 am

Tealeaves wrote:I was wondering if anyone from a middle/lower-middle class background would be willing to PM me about their grant award and general financial background, I'm a waitlisted student and am trying to get some idea how much aid I would receive since I would need to accept before getting the official offer. Many thanks!

Don't put any stock in any numbers other people tell you. It's a pretty person-specific result and things you don't think will make a big difference might. It's definitely more granular than "middle/lower-middle class."

jaywil08

Postby jaywil08 » Wed May 13, 2015 4:36 pm

Did everyone whose status checker updated for college certifications also get an e-mail? Mine has updated with a check mark, but I have not received an e-mail.

eels

Postby eels » Wed May 13, 2015 8:33 pm

Hey, y'all! Plug for housing: my friend (HGSE) and I got a large 3 BR apartment in Soldier's Field, less than a mile from the law school. We are looking for a third roommate, if anyone's still looking for housing! Unit includes dishwasher, and laundry in the building. You would be sharing with her adorable and friendly dog (Gus), so if you're into pets, this would be ideal! Rent would be approx 940/month, utilities and everything included. Bedrooms are different sizes, so rent might be adjustable based on who gets what bedroom. PM me if this is something you might be interested in, and I can send more deets via e-mail!

About us: both girls, mid 20s, east coast by way of California, both former teachers, fairly neat but also chill, vegetarians if that makes a difference to you

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Thu May 14, 2015 1:17 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu May 14, 2015 1:36 pm

mwonka wrote:Those 1201 Mass Ave apartments looked amazing, until this:
There are no kitchen facilities in this building. Refrigerators, microwaves, hot plates, etc. are not permitted in the building. You may rent a "microfridge" (combination microwave and refrigerator)from Harvard Student Agencies or purchase one directly from MicroFridge.
Residents' personal coffee makers, hot pots, rice cookers, percolators, crock pots, toasters, and similar small appliances are not permitted in the units.

wtf HUH.

LOL so it's not really an apartment is it?

Also is everything that's currently available listed on the "Available Apartment Inventory" List? Because I'm really not loving the options there :(

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Thu May 14, 2015 1:43 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Thu May 14, 2015 1:59 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:
There are no kitchen facilities in this building. Refrigerators, microwaves, hot plates, etc. are not permitted in the building. You may rent a "microfridge" (combination microwave and refrigerator)from Harvard Student Agencies or purchase one directly from MicroFridge.
Residents' personal coffee makers, hot pots, rice cookers, percolators, crock pots, toasters, and similar small appliances are not permitted in the units.

wtf HUH.

Also is everything that's currently available listed on the "Available Apartment Inventory" List? Because I'm really not loving the options there :(

That's just depressing. I was underwhelmed on the housing tour for this reason, Hastings had a single kitchen for the entire building, which sounded insane. Good luck with housing, even though it looks like you'll have to start looking at off-campus places.

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu May 14, 2015 2:03 pm

mwonka wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:

wtf HUH.

They look pretty good as long as you don't eat!

And yeah...the "Available Apartment Inventory" lists Currently Available Apartments (ie units you can lease right now) first, then below has a list of all the units that are available for people with select windows to lease. It's looking pretty sparse. Are you still hoping for HUH?

A lot of listings here https://harvardhousingoffcampus.com/property/search seem good, depending on what you're looking for...

I think I pretty much have to do that since I'm coming with my SO and don't live anywhere near there go to visit places :(

hadn't seen the other site before though so will definitely check that out!

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu May 14, 2015 2:03 pm

wtf HUH.

Holy crap I lol'd

HLS_dude

Postby HLS_dude » Fri May 15, 2015 9:00 am

So... 1201 Mass Ave.

No kitchens and if you read the rider, apparently ongoing construction next door from 7am to 6pm for the next two years. Can anyone in the area please comment on the construction? Are they straight up building a new building or something lighter?

Am I going to be woken up daily at 7am to a jackhammer?

This is the only Harvard owned off campus housing less than $1800/mo

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Fri May 15, 2015 9:09 am

HLS_dude wrote:So... 1201 Mass Ave.

No kitchens and if you read the rider, apparently ongoing construction next door from 7am to 6pm for the next two years. Can anyone in the area please comment on the construction? Are they straight up building a new building or something lighter?

Yeah...HUH one bedrooms are not cheap :(

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri May 15, 2015 11:02 am

HLS_dude wrote:So... 1201 Mass Ave.

Are you referring to 1 bedrooms? There are a lot of HUH studios off-campus for less than 1800$. Of course they might all be taken.

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Mon May 18, 2015 11:52 am

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smokedpaprika

Postby smokedpaprika » Mon May 18, 2015 7:11 pm

For those whose HUH windows have already passed, what did the start lease dates look like? I.e. did anyone notice if they all started around June 1, September 1, or if they seemed randomly dispersed throughout the summer?

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Mon May 18, 2015 7:36 pm

smokedpaprika wrote:For those whose HUH windows have already passed, what did the start lease dates look like? I.e. did anyone notice if they all started around June 1, September 1, or if they seemed randomly dispersed throughout the summer?

All of the "Currently Available" apartments are either before June 16th or in September :(

smokedpaprika

Postby smokedpaprika » Mon May 18, 2015 9:00 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:
smokedpaprika wrote:For those whose HUH windows have already passed, what did the start lease dates look like? I.e. did anyone notice if they all started around June 1, September 1, or if they seemed randomly dispersed throughout the summer?

All of the "Currently Available" apartments are either before June 16th or in September :(

Oh right, let me rephrase it: I see the currently available ones. I mean for people that have had access to the view/select window, if those apartments (the ones specifically only available in view/select) are the same, or if lease dates are dispersed throughout the summer?

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Tue May 19, 2015 12:16 am

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smokedpaprika

Postby smokedpaprika » Tue May 19, 2015 2:04 am

wonka wrote:
smokedpaprika wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:

Oh right, let me rephrase it: I see the currently available ones. I mean for people that have had access to the view/select window, if those apartments (the ones specifically only available in view/select) are the same, or if lease dates are dispersed throughout the summer?

They're dispersed. Most seem to be early July though - at least the ones I'm looking at.

ok gotcha. thanks!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”