Harvard Law School Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where are you in the decision process?

I'll be at HLS next fall!
66%
Still waiting to hear from another school....
3%
Still waiting to hear about financial aid :(
5%
Absolutely unsure
5%
Already withdrew from HLS
21%

Total votes: 136

ChemEng1642

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby ChemEng1642 » Mon May 11, 2015 11:37 am

HUH self-select only refreshes once a day right?

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon May 11, 2015 11:54 am

Nonconsecutive wrote:
TripTrip wrote:the smartest apartment in Cambridge. (All the lights and other electronics are controlled via the internet, voice activation, motion activation, and Minecraft.)

You rigged your apartment to respond to Minecraft commands? That is amazing.

Yup. Made a replica of the apartment in Minecraft, complete with lamps and switches for the lamps. The switches control both the Minecraft world lamps and the lamps in real life. It's like the ultimate in lazy light switching: too lazy to get up off the couch to turn of the light? Just have Steve do it.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Mon May 11, 2015 12:05 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:
TripTrip wrote:the smartest apartment in Cambridge. (All the lights and other electronics are controlled via the internet, voice activation, motion activation, and Minecraft.)

You rigged your apartment to respond to Minecraft commands? That is amazing.

Yup. Made a replica of the apartment in Minecraft, complete with lamps and switches for the lamps. The switches control both the Minecraft world lamps and the lamps in real life. It's like the ultimate in lazy light switching: too lazy to get up off the couch to turn of the light? Just have Steve do it.

I made a lot of redstone machines/calculators/etc., never thought of linking it to the real world. Your apartment is worth the cost.

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Mon May 11, 2015 1:42 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon May 11, 2015 2:05 pm

mwonka wrote:For something completely different: is anyone able to access Helios yet?

...for what?

1L classes aren't assigned, and even if they were you can't pick any.

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Mon May 11, 2015 2:11 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:Nooooooo there was a Terry Terrace apartment up for like 5 minutes in the self select area but I didn't choose it in time and now it's gone :(

Well, as of today's refresh there were 21 Terry Terrace 1BR and 5 studios available. Hopefully they'll stick around!

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Mon May 11, 2015 2:25 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Mon May 11, 2015 2:33 pm

mwonka wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
mwonka wrote:For something completely different: is anyone able to access Helios yet?

...for what?

I read an incoming-students checklist this morning that said we're supposed to log into HELIOS to do something or other before we're fully cleared for registration, but now I can't find it. I'll take it to mean that it's not important at this point, meh.

Ah. Well here's the link! http://helios.law.harvard.edu/

foxes

Postby foxes » Mon May 11, 2015 2:34 pm

mwonka wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

...for what?

I read an incoming-students checklist this morning that said we're supposed to log into HELIOS to do something or other before we're fully cleared for registration, but now I can't find it. I'll take it to mean that it's not important at this point, meh.

im sure they'll email us if/when we need to do something, they seem to be good about that. this is probably for much later (i mean there hasnt been wl movement yet i think). are you talking about the checklist on the admitted students site?

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:47 pm

antiworldly wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:Nooooooo there was a Terry Terrace apartment up for like 5 minutes in the self select area but I didn't choose it in time and now it's gone :(

Well, as of today's refresh there were 21 Terry Terrace 1BR and 5 studios available. Hopefully they'll stick around!

wait what? in self select?

meisme23

Postby meisme23 » Mon May 11, 2015 9:51 pm

mwonka wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

...for what?

Similarly, has anyone's college certification form been marked as complete in the Pre-Registration tracker? (https://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective ... check.html)

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Mon May 11, 2015 10:36 pm

meisme23 wrote:
mwonka wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

...for what?

Similarly, has anyone's college certification form been marked as complete in the Pre-Registration tracker? (https://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective ... check.html)

Mine has, but they had earlier sent me an email saying that wouldn't happen till later. From the email I received upon receipt of the certification: "Please note that we will not update your Application Status Checker before June, and then it will only be updated when all of your college certifications have been received. " Maybe someone at Admissions was bored, I dunno.

foxes

Postby foxes » Mon May 11, 2015 10:55 pm

mujiali wrote:Mine has, but they had earlier sent me an email saying that wouldn't happen till later. From the email I received upon receipt of the certification: "Please note that we will not update your Application Status Checker before June, and then it will only be updated when all of your college certifications have been received. " Maybe someone at Admissions was bored, I dunno.

i got the email that my cert was received, but my status tracker hasnt been updated. got the same email about how nothing would be updated until june. have you guys done your immunization stuff/university insurance waiver stuff (if applicable) yet? havent received emails about it, and nearly forgot about it until i clicked on my checklist this morning.

Indifference

Postby Indifference » Mon May 11, 2015 11:49 pm

foxes wrote:
mujiali wrote:Mine has, but they had earlier sent me an email saying that wouldn't happen till later. From the email I received upon receipt of the certification: "Please note that we will not update your Application Status Checker before June, and then it will only be updated when all of your college certifications have been received. " Maybe someone at Admissions was bored, I dunno.

i got the email that my cert was received, but my status tracker hasnt been updated. got the same email about how nothing would be updated until june. have you guys done your immunization stuff/university insurance waiver stuff (if applicable) yet? havent received emails about it, and nearly forgot about it until i clicked on my checklist this morning.

Haven't done any of that stuff. Not stressed about it. There is plenty of time to get all the pre-registration stuff done, methinks.

foxes

Postby foxes » Tue May 12, 2015 12:15 am

mujiali wrote:
foxes wrote:

Haven't done any of that stuff. Not stressed about it. There is plenty of time to get all the pre-registration stuff done, methinks.

haha yeah i havent either. if someone hadn't posted about the post admissions checklist, i would not have known actual forms existed :oops:

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Tue May 12, 2015 5:10 am

ChemEng1642 wrote:
antiworldly wrote:

If you go into the HUH applicant page, the landing page after you login has a listing of all apartments available at the beginning of the day hyperlinked at the top under "Available Apartment Inventory"

blueberrycrumble

Postby blueberrycrumble » Tue May 12, 2015 5:35 am

foxes wrote:

I already did pretty much every form available... mostly because a lot of it's due June 15 and I'll be out of the country until well past then...

For the immunization stuff, as long as you did all the applicable vaccines when you were a kid, there's no need to start on it until a week or two before the deadline, when I'm sure they'll email to remind you anyway.

My cert status checker wasn't updated either.

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Tue May 12, 2015 6:10 am

Got the apartment I wanted! Now time to get some coffee. . .

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Tue May 12, 2015 9:38 am

antiworldly wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:
antiworldly wrote:

If you go into the HUH applicant page, the landing page after you login has a listing of all apartments available at the beginning of the day hyperlinked at the top under "Available Apartment Inventory"

Hmm I see that but those apartments aren't actually available for self select? I guess I have to wait for the daily update at 11 am for them to actually be released?

Tealeaves

Postby Tealeaves » Tue May 12, 2015 10:59 am

I was wondering if anyone from a middle/lower-middle class background would be willing to PM me about their grant award and general financial background, I'm a waitlisted student and am trying to get some idea how much aid I would receive since I would need to accept before getting the official offer. Many thanks!

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Tue May 12, 2015 11:38 am

antiworldly wrote:Got the apartment I wanted! Now time to get some coffee. . .

Congrats! 8)

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Tue May 12, 2015 1:35 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:Hmm I see that but those apartments aren't actually available for self select? I guess I have to wait for the daily update at 11 am for them to actually be released?

Those are the apartments that are supposed to be available in the select window that day, although I'm not sure about how good the list is because there were far fewer Terry Terrace apartments in my select window than the list said.

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Tue May 12, 2015 1:37 pm

antiworldly wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:Hmm I see that but those apartments aren't actually available for self select? I guess I have to wait for the daily update at 11 am for them to actually be released?

Those are the apartments that are supposed to be available in the select window that day, although I'm not sure about how good the list is because there were far fewer Terry Terrace apartments in my select window than the list said.

Yeah right now the list says 2 Terry Terrace apartments as of 8:17 am this morning :(

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Tue May 12, 2015 1:40 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:
antiworldly wrote:

Yeah right now the list says 2 Terry Terrace apartments as of 8:17 am this morning :(

Well, that is unfortunately correct. It said 26 yesterday, and there were 7. I ended up not going for Terry Terrace, got a place on Banks St. with a lot more square footage for less $, it's just a ~10 minute walk from the law school. We'll have to host a TLS 1L party once everyone gets to campus, it's got a great layout for entertaining.

ChemEng1642

Postby ChemEng1642 » Tue May 12, 2015 2:02 pm

antiworldly wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:
antiworldly wrote:

Well, that is unfortunately correct. It said 26 yesterday, and there were 7. I ended up not going for Terry Terrace, got a place on Banks St. with a lot more square footage for less $, it's just a ~10 minute walk from the law school. We'll have to host a TLS 1L party once everyone gets to campus, it's got a great layout for entertaining.

That sounds fun! :)

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”