Harvard Law School Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where are you in the decision process?

I'll be at HLS next fall!
66%
Still waiting to hear from another school....
3%
Still waiting to hear about financial aid :(
5%
Absolutely unsure
5%
Already withdrew from HLS
21%

Total votes: 136

radio1nowhere

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby radio1nowhere » Fri May 01, 2015 12:34 am

CORe definitely sounds like it would be useful for those hoping to go into business or pursue entrepreneurship, as a sort of JD/MBA lite, but I don't see from the description how it applies to practicing law. Do any lawyers actually use least squares (or any other quantitative data measure) professionally, or do any financial accounting? As far as impressing potential employers goes: if JD from Harvard Law School doesn't do the trick, will a "Credential of Readiness" earned online over the summer push you over the line?

All that doubt notwithstanding, I have a lot of free time this summer....

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Fri May 01, 2015 3:24 am

radio1nowhere wrote:CORe definitely sounds like it would be useful for those hoping to go into business or pursue entrepreneurship, as a sort of JD/MBA lite, but I don't see from the description how it applies to practicing law. Do any lawyers actually use least squares (or any other quantitative data measure) professionally, or do any financial accounting? As far as impressing potential employers goes: if JD from Harvard Law School doesn't do the trick, will a "Credential of Readiness" earned online over the summer push you over the line?

All that doubt notwithstanding, I have a lot of free time this summer....

I was actually thinking it could be pretty useful for people going into the non-profit sector, where a lot of times lawyers have to be jacks of all trades because of limited funding. Also as a resume line for 1L summer jobs.

Kluge

Postby Kluge » Fri May 01, 2015 10:26 am

Anyone else nervous to find out whether they got an HLS Housing selection window? No idea what I'll do if I can't get housing on campus!

LawBron James

Postby LawBron James » Fri May 01, 2015 11:12 am

mwonka wrote:Any thoughts on the $250 CORe opportunity?

Ugh, I really want to do it, but I'll be gone the whole month of June, often with little internet access. I'm not sure it's going to be possible for me. Seems like a great opportunity, though.

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Fri May 01, 2015 11:35 am

Kluge wrote:Anyone else nervous to find out whether they got an HLS Housing selection window? No idea what I'll do if I can't get housing on campus!

We'll find out as of monday. . .

Kluge

Postby Kluge » Fri May 01, 2015 11:54 am

antiworldly wrote:
Kluge wrote:Anyone else nervous to find out whether they got an HLS Housing selection window? No idea what I'll do if I can't get housing on campus!

We'll find out as of monday. . .

I think we might find out today actually. I believe May 4th is when we'll hear from HUH.

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Fri May 01, 2015 11:56 am

radio1nowhere wrote:Would anyone from up north want to tell me what sort of clothes/boots/whatever people wear up there? I've lived my entire life in the deep south and the warmest thing I own is a hoodie. :oops:

From the ATL, but have been transplanted up in NYC for the last year and in Denver and DC before that. Some of this stuff is from living in CO and being in the mountains a lot, but considering the winter they had...

Some things I've found helpful:

Warm fuzzy socks, I also have some tighter neoprene type base socks for snowboarding that are good if you notice your feet get colder with just one pair (if you don't have warm boots this is more of a concern)

Big outer coat with hood (should have some fluff to it), go ahead and invest well here

Long underwear or tight fitting running pants and shirt ( think under armor cold gear), with this bottom layer on the coldest of days it really helps.

Long sleeves for over base layer or as base layer when it's not terrible

Warm boots good for the snow (good traction on bottom and big sole so you sink in less), I like my yak traks to help with traction ( little metal rubber grips that you take on and off for walking on snowy surfaces, but that's prob more for CO than Boston)

Good gloves! I have an under armor pair that are fuzzy but you can use them on a touch screen, and goose down mittens for the coldest days, mittens are the warmest rather than fingered gloves

Beanie hat that covers ears up, my ears get cold easily. But also a lot of heat escapes from your head so u want something really warm when it's really bad

Scarf, I didn't need this as much but some people get colder on their neck, you can also do the turtle neck here, but then you are wearing one...

I also like those mid layer zip ups (think north face or Columbia style jackets) for under the outer coat but when I just want to wear a regular t shirt inside once I arrive

That's all I got off the top of my head, HTH

The big key as a southerner out of our more delightful climate is to layer up. Multiple layers is way warmer.

foxes

Postby foxes » Fri May 01, 2015 12:03 pm

LawBron James wrote:
mwonka wrote:Any thoughts on the $250 CORe opportunity?

Ugh, I really want to do it, but I'll be gone the whole month of June, often with little internet access. I'm not sure it's going to be possible for me. Seems like a great opportunity, though.

from what i can tell i dont think that would be possible. theres a post on the core student blog that talks about how much preparation and work some guy had to do when he wanted to take a 1 week vacation during the core course (and apparently he still ended up working during the trip). i planned to be gone for 2 weeks this summer and already emailed asking whether it would be possible to take the vacation and still do core, but i dont really know... might just enjoy my last free summer

edit: from my last post, if you want to take a look at the blog

foxes wrote:I also found a blog http://www.hbxblog.com/ featuring current Core students and it sounds pretty hardcore...

and also, any current hls students here? sorry to repost this but i'd love an opinion

foxes wrote:I don't know, I'm SO torn about taking this. On the one hand, it seems like it might be useful so I kind of feel obligated to take it. On the other hand, it's a huge time commitment, I won't be able to take the 2 week long vacation I've been dying to take before HLS in the fall, and it's a lot of hard work just at the moment when I want to chill out and enjoy my summer before school starts.

Can any current HLS students chime in? Have you heard anything about CORe? Does it sound useful or can I safely avoid it and enjoy my summer? :|

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Fri May 01, 2015 2:36 pm

The CORe thing is news to all of us current students; we hadn't heard of it prior to today (and even today's info was indirect). Maybe someone took the course before HLS started subsidizing it, but I doubt it. If it looks fun to you I say take it, but it's now going to help with law school stuff. If you're good enough at finance/math/excel to take the course in the first place, then you're good enough at the same for law school purposes. As to 1L jobs, it would be a talking point, but not anything more.

Apparently it's being offered to a select number of current students as well, but I don't know the details. The only reason I know what ya'll are talking about is that I saw a news clipping about CORe this morning. There hasn't been a formal announcement to current students as far as I know.

Eta: WITHOUT QUESTION, take your vacation rather than this course. It will be better for your law school performance and better for your sanity.

foxes

Postby foxes » Fri May 01, 2015 2:41 pm

Pneumonia wrote:The CORe thing is news to all of us current students; we hadn't heard of it prior to today (and even today's info was indirect). Maybe someone took the course before HLS started subsidizing it, but I doubt it. If it looks fun to you I say take it, but it's now going to help with law school stuff. If you're good enough at finance/math/excel to take the course in the first place, then you're good enough at the same for law school purposes. As to 1L jobs, it would be a talking point, but not anything more.

Apparently it's being offered to a select number of current students as well, but I don't know the details. The only reason I know what ya'll are talking about is that I saw a news clipping about CORe this morning. There hasn't been a formal announcement to current students as far as I know.

Eta: WITHOUT QUESTION, take your vacation rather than this course. It will be better for your law school performance and better for your sanity.

:lol: that actually makes me feel better about leaning towards not taking it.

yeah, i read through the syllabus a bit more and i'm not sure it's directly applicable to law students unless they're planning to start a business or go into finance, startups, etc. especially topics like financial accounting

thanks for your response! :D

currenthlsstudent

Postby currenthlsstudent » Fri May 01, 2015 2:44 pm

I can't think of any universe in which you should feel obligated to do this course. I also don't think it would be that helpful to you in actual law school classes (perhaps in later life or if you cross-register at HBS). In 99% of classes here the assumption is that you understand nothing about business, and the ones where that isn't the case will be obvious from the course description.

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Fri May 01, 2015 2:51 pm

Aww, I didn't get a room selection window. I mean it probably doesn't make that much difference in practice, since I'm gunning for a Gropius Type 1 jail cell, but it would have been nice to get it over with.

foxes

Postby foxes » Fri May 01, 2015 2:56 pm

currenthlsstudent wrote:I can't think of any universe in which you should feel obligated to do this course. I also don't think it would be that helpful to you in actual law school classes (perhaps in later life or if you cross-register at HBS). In 99% of classes here the assumption is that you understand nothing about business, and the ones where that isn't the case will be obvious from the course description.

thanks so much for the reply! good to hear that i can relax over the summer...

blueberrycrumble

Postby blueberrycrumble » Fri May 01, 2015 3:03 pm

Looks like room selection windows are out everyone!

Any current students have insight on what kind of HAHLS rooms seem to go the fastest during room selection? What do most people prefer

radio1nowhere

Postby radio1nowhere » Fri May 01, 2015 4:03 pm

Got my room selection window!! Annndddd it's right in the middle of one of my finals. Haha. I'm still happy to have gotten one (:

ALSO: I didn't want to quote the post because it's long, but many thanks to downbeat14 for the detailed response to my question about weather-appropriate attire!

foxes

Postby foxes » Fri May 01, 2015 4:11 pm

happy i got a room selection window too. hope the earlier windows dont fill up the floors i want!

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Fri May 01, 2015 4:52 pm

Happy commitment deadline day, friends! If you've made the leap you should go post about it in this thread so that we can remain queens of the Destinations post.

Also cosigning the weather appropriate clothing guide shoutout, DB! I, too, don't know how to winter.

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Fri May 01, 2015 5:09 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Fri May 01, 2015 5:12 pm

So being from northern VT, Boston winters are nice and warm. My advice, like downbeat14, is to layer. I'm preferential to a long sleeve shirt, a northface or other fleece jacket, topped by a military surplus greatcoat and a ushanka for a hat. What really gets you is the wind, so you'll want something that can keep a pocket of still, warm air around your body. The biggest problem I see people have in adjusting to the cold is they buy a single, medium thickness coat that ends at the waist. Your legs will be freezing on a good day, and on a bad day the lack of layers will freeze your torso too. At minimum, I'd suggest investing in a good set of polypropylene long underwear. They are ridiculously warm (good enough for backwoods camping) and fit under most other clothes, so you don't have to sacrifice your fashion sense for comfort.

blueberrycrumble

Postby blueberrycrumble » Fri May 01, 2015 5:40 pm

mwonka wrote:Also got a room selection window! Lucky enough to get Window 4. Does anyone know if you have to commit to a room on that day? Like is it possible to select/reserve a room and also participate in the HUH selection, which I think happens a little later?

Adding to the props on the winter post, too.

Yeah, you can pick HUH later and cancel HAHLS; here's the cancellation policy:

HAHLS wrote:Prior to June 1: no penalty or fee of any kind
June 1 – June 30: $500 cancellation fee, but no liability for rent
July 1 and after (including during the academic year): $500 cancellation fee plus full academic year room fee until re-rental in which case the cost will be $500 plus the pro-rated fee

stevedubs

Postby stevedubs » Fri May 01, 2015 5:53 pm

We just need to send in the commitment form today - no deposit, right?

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Fri May 01, 2015 6:09 pm

Post removed.

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Fri May 01, 2015 6:09 pm

Post removed.

bookworm381

Postby bookworm381 » Sat May 02, 2015 5:10 pm

blueberrycrumble wrote:Looks like room selection windows are out everyone!

Any current students have insight on what kind of HAHLS rooms seem to go the fastest during room selection? What do most people prefer

This ^^

Edit: also, thanks for the weather advice, friends. Very, very needed.

downbeat14

Postby downbeat14 » Sat May 02, 2015 5:17 pm

Should I be worried that I haven't gotten a view/select window? Is anyone else still waiting?

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”