Harvard Law School Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where are you in the decision process?

I'll be at HLS next fall!
90
66%
Still waiting to hear from another school....
4
3%
Still waiting to hear about financial aid :(
7
5%
Absolutely unsure
7
5%
Already withdrew from HLS
28
21%
 
Total votes: 136

User avatar
bookworm381
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:33 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby bookworm381 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:54 am

mujiali wrote:Sent in my response form earlier today, will definitely be at H in the fall. Excited and terrified.

Anyone else made the leap?
Also, anyone have thoughts on ASW this weekend? I skipped a lot so would love to hear if there was anything earth shattering/hilarious I missed.



I also had a great time at ASW, and will be attending! Woo! So happy to have made my decision.

Here's a hilarious story for you: on the housing tour, I overhead a girl telling another girl about TLS and how there's great info on here about housing etc. As soon as she said "top law schools", a third part male whipped his head around and started listening to their conversation intently. So, sneaky TLS eavesdropper, I don't know who you are, but you made me giggle.

Fawkes
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:16 am

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Fawkes » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:55 am

mujiali wrote:
zuko23 wrote:Have those who accepted the offer gotten any kind of a response? I would love to have some type of confirmation that it went through.lol


I got a confirmation email from the admissions office. I think calling if you're concerned is fine.


Yeah, you should get a confirmation email. It doesn't happen immediately, though, so don't worry unless you don't get it within 24 hours. Then, you may just want to give them a call to double check.

Indifference
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Indifference » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:18 pm

bookworm381 wrote:
mujiali wrote:Sent in my response form earlier today, will definitely be at H in the fall. Excited and terrified.

Anyone else made the leap?
Also, anyone have thoughts on ASW this weekend? I skipped a lot so would love to hear if there was anything earth shattering/hilarious I missed.



I also had a great time at ASW, and will be attending! Woo! So happy to have made my decision.

Here's a hilarious story for you: on the housing tour, I overhead a girl telling another girl about TLS and how there's great info on here about housing etc. As soon as she said "top law schools", a third part male whipped his head around and started listening to their conversation intently. So, sneaky TLS eavesdropper, I don't know who you are, but you made me giggle.


Great stuff. My personal favorite was the parent who ambushed the tour guide in the library to ask why harvard was better than Yale (in 10 seconds, please)

User avatar
wonka
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:46 pm

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:36 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
stevedubs
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:07 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby stevedubs » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:07 pm

Fawkes wrote:
mujiali wrote:
zuko23 wrote:Have those who accepted the offer gotten any kind of a response? I would love to have some type of confirmation that it went through.lol


I got a confirmation email from the admissions office. I think calling if you're concerned is fine.


Yeah, you should get a confirmation email. It doesn't happen immediately, though, so don't worry unless you don't get it within 24 hours. Then, you may just want to give them a call to double check.


Wait, how do you accept the offer? I can't find the link anywhere.

zuko23
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:23 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby zuko23 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:34 pm

stevedubs wrote:
Fawkes wrote:
mujiali wrote:
zuko23 wrote:Have those who accepted the offer gotten any kind of a response? I would love to have some type of confirmation that it went through.lol


I got a confirmation email from the admissions office. I think calling if you're concerned is fine.


Yeah, you should get a confirmation email. It doesn't happen immediately, though, so don't worry unless you don't get it within 24 hours. Then, you may just want to give them a call to double check.


Wait, how do you accept the offer? I can't find the link anywhere.


Thanks guys, I got the confirmation late last evening :D
It took me forever to find it too but here is a link http://www.law.harvard.edu/prospective/jd/ Click on the information for admitted students box.

User avatar
whosinthehousejc
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:54 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby whosinthehousejc » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:15 pm

Response form submitted, I'm officially in for this fall. Looking forward to meeting you all!

User avatar
LawBron James
Posts: 378
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:13 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby LawBron James » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:27 pm

whosinthehousejc wrote:Response form submitted, I'm officially in for this fall. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Ayy congrats man.

Looks like the ASW was the final push for a lot of people.

Indifference
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Indifference » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:33 pm

LawBron James wrote:
whosinthehousejc wrote:Response form submitted, I'm officially in for this fall. Looking forward to meeting you all!

Ayy congrats man.

Looks like the ASW was the final push for a lot of people.


I was 99 percent there already, was just hesitant to turn down that CLS $$. Ultimately decided the chance to not have to deal with moving, coupled with a good need grant made it worth it.

User avatar
downbeat14
Posts: 545
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby downbeat14 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:02 pm

.
Last edited by downbeat14 on Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

winterorange
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:38 am

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby winterorange » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:31 pm

Submitted my commitment form--looking forward to meeting you all in the fall!

Let's hope the stars align and I get an early viewing window.

User avatar
bookworm381
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:33 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby bookworm381 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:41 pm

mujiali wrote:
bookworm381 wrote:
mujiali wrote:Sent in my response form earlier today, will definitely be at H in the fall. Excited and terrified.

Anyone else made the leap?
Also, anyone have thoughts on ASW this weekend? I skipped a lot so would love to hear if there was anything earth shattering/hilarious I missed.



I also had a great time at ASW, and will be attending! Woo! So happy to have made my decision.

Here's a hilarious story for you: on the housing tour, I overhead a girl telling another girl about TLS and how there's great info on here about housing etc. As soon as she said "top law schools", a third part male whipped his head around and started listening to their conversation intently. So, sneaky TLS eavesdropper, I don't know who you are, but you made me giggle.


Great stuff. My personal favorite was the parent who ambushed the tour guide in the library to ask why harvard was better than Yale (in 10 seconds, please)


Lol, parents. Can't take 'em anywhere.

User avatar
IngmarKurosawa
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby IngmarKurosawa » Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:11 am

Does anybody know whether Harvard offers career services to the spouses of students? As in, could my spouse go to any of the career service offices with her career questions etc.?

User avatar
blueberrycrumble
Posts: 363
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:07 am

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby blueberrycrumble » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:17 pm

Submitted my confirmation today! H is generous on the $$

Indifference
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Indifference » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:19 pm

IngmarKurosawa wrote:Does anybody know whether Harvard offers career services to the spouses of students? As in, could my spouse go to any of the career service offices with her career questions etc.?


No clue. My gut reaction is probably not, but you could always call and ask.

Indifference
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Indifference » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:19 pm

blueberrycrumble wrote:Submitted my confirmation today! H is generous on the $$


Congrats!

User avatar
DiniMae
Posts: 734
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:36 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby DiniMae » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:41 pm

mwonka wrote:
mujiali wrote:
bookworm381 wrote:
mujiali wrote:Sent in my response form earlier today, will definitely be at H in the fall. Excited and terrified.

Anyone else made the leap?
Also, anyone have thoughts on ASW this weekend? I skipped a lot so would love to hear if there was anything earth shattering/hilarious I missed.



I also had a great time at ASW, and will be attending! Woo! So happy to have made my decision.

Here's a hilarious story for you: on the housing tour, I overhead a girl telling another girl about TLS and how there's great info on here about housing etc. As soon as she said "top law schools", a third part male whipped his head around and started listening to their conversation intently. So, sneaky TLS eavesdropper, I don't know who you are, but you made me giggle.


Great stuff. My personal favorite was the parent who ambushed the tour guide in the library to ask why harvard was better than Yale (in 10 seconds, please)


Ah, geeze! How'd they do?

Also, did anyone else go on the student-organized alternative tour? I unsuspectingly stumbled into it the minute I arrived. First impression of HLS: "racists! nazis! misogynists! but i'm not saying you shouldn't go here. seriously though, we've been bad to women. but you should totally go here."

I went on one of them. Had no idea that it wasn't school-sponsored

User avatar
radio1nowhere
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby radio1nowhere » Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:37 pm

Sent in my response form! So happy that the months of agonizing about this decision are over. Cambridge or bust, yo :D

User avatar
strugglebus
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:20 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby strugglebus » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:23 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:Sent in my response form! So happy that the months of agonizing about this decision are over. Cambridge or bust, yo :D

Congrats on deciding!

User avatar
radio1nowhere
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby radio1nowhere » Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:58 pm

strugglebus wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote:Sent in my response form! So happy that the months of agonizing about this decision are over. Cambridge or bust, yo :D

Congrats on deciding!


Thanks struggle! Good luck on your own decision!

Veronica2015
Posts: 87
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:30 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Veronica2015 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:46 am

Maybe too early to think about this, but quite curious now: are summer associate positions after 1L difficult to get even at HLS? Is it harder for KJDs? Does previous internship in law firms make up for that? Thanks in advance for any input!

js1663
Posts: 216
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 2:13 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby js1663 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:51 am

Veronica2015 wrote:Maybe too early to think about this, but quite curious now: are summer associate positions after 1L difficult to get even at HLS? Is it harder for KJDs? Does previous internship in law firms make up for that? Thanks in advance for any input!


I'm a 0L so take it with a grain of salt, but based on my interaction with quite a few students at ASW and outside it, it does seem like it's far from guaranteed, and in fact takes a lot of hustling to get a summer associate job and even many competitive PI jobs for your 1L year. I met a few 1L's (with good grades no less!) who don't have anything lined up yet for summer and are still looking. Obviously they could be outliers or poor at applying (though none struck me in any way as socially awkward) but finding your 1L job will be a challenge even from HLS. That said HLS does offer summer public interest funding and while I don't fully understand how it works it should help for your 1L year even if you don't get an SA position.

User avatar
HorseThief
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby HorseThief » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:43 am

js1663 wrote:
Veronica2015 wrote:Maybe too early to think about this, but quite curious now: are summer associate positions after 1L difficult to get even at HLS? Is it harder for KJDs? Does previous internship in law firms make up for that? Thanks in advance for any input!


I'm a 0L so take it with a grain of salt, but based on my interaction with quite a few students at ASW and outside it, it does seem like it's far from guaranteed, and in fact takes a lot of hustling to get a summer associate job and even many competitive PI jobs for your 1L year. I met a few 1L's (with good grades no less!) who don't have anything lined up yet for summer and are still looking. Obviously they could be outliers or poor at applying (though none struck me in any way as socially awkward) but finding your 1L job will be a challenge even from HLS. That said HLS does offer summer public interest funding and while I don't fully understand how it works it should help for your 1L year even if you don't get an SA position.


Hi, I'll be that grain of salt.

Getting a 1L job should not be that hard. I am very, very surprised that some people still don't have jobs. Yes, getting a firm job might be difficult, but I'd guess that the people who didn't get a job only applied to the most competitive places (both in terms of law firms and location). I have plenty of friends who were able to get very good SA positions with relative ease. I even had one friend who was flown out for interviews/greasing up. If you want a SA position, you need to be willing to forgo NY/DC. If you're from a midmarket town like Atlanta, Houston, San Diego, Minneapolis, etc, it should be pretty easy to get a job with a bit if hustling. If you aren't, do some networking back home, and be willing to apply to lower ranked firms.

There are also great public interest positions available for 1L. The school will give you ~$4k in funding, which won't be enough to cover your expenses in NYC or DC, but is fairly generous for anywhere else. Getting PI jobs is also pretty easy- that Harvard name does a lot of work for you. We tend to clean up in federal jobs, especially in DC, but there are also satellite jobs all over the country that look great. For example, there are dozens of US Attorney offices across the states, they're relatively easy to get, and they look very good on your resume for 2L SA gigs.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2240
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Nonconsecutive » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:42 pm

IngmarKurosawa wrote:Does anybody know whether Harvard offers career services to the spouses of students? As in, could my spouse go to any of the career service offices with her career questions etc.?


Nope, they only offer their services to current students and alumni (applies to both OCS/OPIA). I doubt this is an uncommon thing.

User avatar
IngmarKurosawa
Posts: 157
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:32 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby IngmarKurosawa » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:55 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
IngmarKurosawa wrote:Does anybody know whether Harvard offers career services to the spouses of students? As in, could my spouse go to any of the career service offices with her career questions etc.?


Nope, they only offer their services to current students and alumni (applies to both OCS/OPIA). I doubt this is an uncommon thing.


Thanks. That's basically what I thought would be the case.




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest