Harvard Law School Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where are you in the decision process?

I'll be at HLS next fall!
66%
Still waiting to hear from another school....
3%
Still waiting to hear about financial aid :(
5%
Absolutely unsure
5%
Already withdrew from HLS
21%

Total votes: 136

cecily2015

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby cecily2015 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:14 am

bookworm381 wrote:I was thinking about living in Hastings, potentially in a 2BR (if anyone would like to room, feel free to PM me :D )

So excited to meet everyone in a few weeks! I'm flying in on Friday night, so I'll have all morning Saturday to myself. Anyone interested in maybe meeting for lunch before the 2pm campus/housing tours?

Hey I'm up for lunch on Saturday morning! And for the hastings, do u actually have to share a bedroom with another roommate in the 2BR? Or just sharing the living room?

cecily2015

Postby cecily2015 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:43 am

Bahexom wrote:Thinking about Botanic Gardens, 2 or 3 bedroom. First, has anyone heard anything, good bad or otherwise? Second, if anyone females are interested in living there, pm me!

I'm still trying to figure out this whole huh thing. Do they also put u in a lottery and assign u random selection windows like HLS dorms? And for roommates with huh, do u try to secure ur apartment first and then invite roomate or the other way around? It would be great if someone who's been there walk us through the process and share some tips!! Many thanks!!

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:44 am

cecily2015 wrote:
bookworm381 wrote:I was thinking about living in Hastings, potentially in a 2BR (if anyone would like to room, feel free to PM me :D )

So excited to meet everyone in a few weeks! I'm flying in on Friday night, so I'll have all morning Saturday to myself. Anyone interested in maybe meeting for lunch before the 2pm campus/housing tours?

Hey I'm up for lunch on Saturday morning! And for the hastings, do u actually have to share a bedroom with another roommate in the 2BR? Or just sharing the living room?

As far as I know, none of the apartments on campus would have you sleeping in the same room as someone else. Hastings' floor plans are here (needs a hls password, though): https://hls.harvard.edu/content/uploads/2015/03/Hastings-1st-Floor.jpg

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:51 am

cecily2015 wrote:
Bahexom wrote:Thinking about Botanic Gardens, 2 or 3 bedroom. First, has anyone heard anything, good bad or otherwise? Second, if anyone females are interested in living there, pm me!

I'm still trying to figure out this whole huh thing. Do they also put u in a lottery and assign u random selection windows like HLS dorms? And for roommates with huh, do u try to secure ur apartment first and then invite roomate or the other way around? It would be great if someone who's been there walk us through the process and share some tips!! Many thanks!!

HUH has it's own lottery which works just like the dorms, except that it's open for the entire university, so you'll probably get a terrible number. Most of the good rooms (29 Garden, TT) go very, very quickly. You may be able to get botanic, idk.

As I've mentioned before, if you want to guarantee yourself a room, you may need to jump on an early lease. These are not available through the lottery, but are the leases that start in June/July. If you can get furniture in the room, you may be able to sublet for those months. Otherwise, you take a hit, but at least you have an apartment.

Re: Roommates, you should get the apartment first. It's convenient if you have roommates in mind, but the rooms are hard enough to get that you can't really plan on it. However, once you do have an apartment, it will be very easy to get a roommate.

Hikari

Postby Hikari » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:35 am

To those who have been living on their own states away (specifically on a different coast) will you be moving all your belongings (e.g. Furniture) or just selling.

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:51 am

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cecily2015

Postby cecily2015 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:08 pm

HorseThief wrote:
cecily2015 wrote:

HUH has it's own lottery which works just like the dorms, except that it's open for the entire university, so you'll probably get a terrible number. Most of the good rooms (29 Garden, TT) go very, very quickly. You may be able to get botanic, idk.

As I've mentioned before, if you want to guarantee yourself a room, you may need to jump on an early lease. These are not available through the lottery, but are the leases that start in June/July. If you can get furniture in the room, you may be able to sublet for those months. Otherwise, you take a hit, but at least you have an apartment.

Re: Roommates, you should get the apartment first. It's convenient if you have roommates in mind, but the rooms are hard enough to get that you can't really plan on it. However, once you do have an apartment, it will be very easy to get a roommate.

I heard that HLS partners with huh to reserve a bunch of apartments for its own students. How does it work?

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:03 pm

cecily2015 wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
cecily2015 wrote:

I heard that HLS partners with huh to reserve a bunch of apartments for its own students. How does it work?

In theory there are blocks in the HUH buildings for law students, but those are the ones that go very quickly.

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:04 pm

Hikari wrote:To those who have been living on their own states away (specifically on a different coast) will you be moving all your belongings (e.g. Furniture) or just selling.

I fit all of my stuff into a SUV, then furnished my apartment when I got here. You can get beds, desks, chairs, tables, etc. for very cheap through grad student markets on fb.

Orion311

Postby Orion311 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:41 pm

Last edited by Orion311 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juicebox

Postby juicebox » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:04 pm

Hi 0Ls! Hope you're excited to come to HLS - it's going to be a great time, I have loved my time here!

I am looking to sublet my Terry Terrace apartment (HUHS apartment right next to the law school) for the months of June, July, and August. Probably not a popular date span for you all, but in case anyone is coming up early, thought I'd give it a shot.

PM me for details.

Thanks!

bretby

Postby bretby » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:06 pm

HorseThief wrote:
Hikari wrote:To those who have been living on their own states away (specifically on a different coast) will you be moving all your belongings (e.g. Furniture) or just selling.

I fit all of my stuff into a SUV, then furnished my apartment when I got here. You can get beds, desks, chairs, tables, etc. for very cheap through grad student markets on fb.

They have great stuff, though the hours are weird and you need your id:

http://web.mit.edu/womensleague/fx/

dirkgently

Postby dirkgently » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:00 pm

So I've been extremely out of the loop due to a last minute deferral last year and then getting caught up with work. I'm just now starting my FAFSA and realized I missed the government's "priority" deadline. I know for sure that I won't qualify for any grants from the government or HLS, so should I be worried about doing this late? I just need the Stafford and GradPLUS loans.

Thanks

leslieknope

Postby leslieknope » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:53 pm

dirkgently wrote:So I've been extremely out of the loop due to a last minute deferral last year and then getting caught up with work. I'm just now starting my FAFSA and realized I missed the government's "priority" deadline. I know for sure that I won't qualify for any grants from the government or HLS, so should I be worried about doing this late? I just need the Stafford and GradPLUS loans.

Thanks

Really doubt it will affect loan eligibility, but you should contact SFS. They'll know better than us and they've been really good about responding fast.
Last edited by leslieknope on Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

radio1nowhere

Postby radio1nowhere » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:55 pm

Should we expect our 2L and 3L grants to be very similar to our 1L grant?

malleus discentium

Postby malleus discentium » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:13 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:Should we expect our 2L and 3L grants to be very similar to our 1L grant?

No. They're recalculated every year, and are affected by money you make during the year. 1L summer probably won't affect it since most people will not make enough, but a 2L SA will drop your grant by ~19K. See here.

Orion311

Postby Orion311 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:59 am

Last edited by Orion311 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whosinthehousejc

Postby whosinthehousejc » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:57 am

hi all, what's the consensus on ASW dress code? earlier in the thread I saw casual was TCR at last year's but would love to hear from a March ASW attendee.

m_ross

Postby m_ross » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:35 am

HorseThief wrote:
cecily2015 wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
cecily2015 wrote:I'm still trying to figure out this whole huh thing. Do they also put u in a lottery and assign u random selection windows like HLS dorms? And for roommates with huh, do u try to secure ur apartment first and then invite roomate or the other way around? It would be great if someone who's been there walk us through the process and share some tips!! Many thanks!!

In theory there are blocks in the HUH buildings for law students, but those are the ones that go very quickly.

There are a certain number of apartments in Terry Terrace and 29 Garden reserved for HLS students - the exact number available each year will depend on how many are vacated. Key thing to note is that all the HLS block apartments are released after the first window closes, so you might still have a shot even with a terrible window. But they go EXTREMELY fast. I'm in one of these, and me and my roommate were both frantically clicking at anything we could get last year, and lucked into something. You will not have time to look at floor plans or even see how much it costs or the lease start date, but if you're flexible, it could work. PM me if you want more information.

LawBron James

Postby LawBron James » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:14 pm

Just got my book today. Totally awesome.

m_ross

Postby m_ross » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:19 pm

Orion311 wrote:Are there any Canadians with good ideas about how to go through the financial aid process? The volatility of the CAD right now makes me wonder if I should try to time my application accordingly since HLS only wants things in USD terms.... The CAD is already .8 right now, but a lot of predictions are expecting it to fall to .71 by the end of the year. Over 3 years at HLS (with their projected COA) there's a nearly 50k CAD difference in COA for the two rates which is not insignificant. If only the fin. aid office could take predictions about economic conditions of a nation into account....

HLS recalculates fin aid every year. IIRC, they will take your resources and divide it by 3 to figure out your contribution, but I feel like they recalculate that every year also. They will definitely recalculate your parents' contribution every year. I decided to leave most of my money in CAD last year and am deeply regretting that decision now...

Also, make sure to apply for Canadian/ provincial student loans, if you are going to be taking out loans. Unlike the loans here, Canadian loans don't accumulate interest while you're in school, and the interest rate is lower. You're not going to get a whole lot, but something is better than nothing. PM me if you want more info on financing HLS as a Canadian - I spent an excruciating amount of time dealing with this last year, and happy to pass on any information.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:32 pm

whosinthehousejc wrote:hi all, what's the consensus on ASW dress code? earlier in the thread I saw casual was TCR at last year's but would love to hear from a March ASW attendee.

Formal Dress

Casual is fine.

omegaweapon

Postby omegaweapon » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:59 pm

whosinthehousejc wrote:hi all, what's the consensus on ASW dress code? earlier in the thread I saw casual was TCR at last year's but would love to hear from a March ASW attendee.

Casualish. Didn't see many T-shirts, but any kind of button-up or polo is fine.

chips_and_guac

Postby chips_and_guac » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:02 am

Checking in!

Looking forward to wearing casualish clothes and meeting everybody

smokedpaprika

Postby smokedpaprika » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:39 pm

Hi all,

Made a TLS account just for this post. Not a 0L or a lawyer at all, but will be attending Harvard next year getting a PhD in the department of government.

I'm applying for housing with HUH -- ideally a 2BR or 3BR -- and wanted to cast the net to the HLS community to see if anyone not living in the dorms was looking for a roommate, esp. outside of the LS community. I've lived with law students (currently finishing a Masters at Stanford) so understand the pain yall are about to endure 1L year, and our fields are similar enough that my roomies and I find we have a lot in common but aren't sick of spending 14+ hrs/day with each other.

The buildings I'm looking at are:
- 5 Cowperthwaite
- 29 Garden Street
- Terry Terrace
- Peabody Terrace
.... and because I've heard the lottery is tough, everything else, but those are my top choices. GSAS grad students (me) have the benefit of drawing lottery numbers before professional school students (you), so there may be greater options during this draw.

Rather than turn this into a long personal ad, just PM me if you're thinking about living in HUH and on the roommate search too, and we can discuss further. Good luck and enjoy your summer!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”