Harvard Law School Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where are you in the decision process?

I'll be at HLS next fall!
66%
Still waiting to hear from another school....
3%
Still waiting to hear about financial aid :(
5%
Absolutely unsure
5%
Already withdrew from HLS
21%

Total votes: 136

Indifference

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Indifference » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:08 pm

Bahexom wrote:Thinking about Botanic Gardens, 2 or 3 bedroom. First, has anyone heard anything, good bad or otherwise? Second, if anyone females are interested in living there, pm me!

this thread is a great resource on housing and many other topics.

fantastic2018

Postby fantastic2018 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:24 pm

I'm looking for a female roommate. I already have an awesome apartment that's 1 minute from the law school. $1620/month per person. PM if you're interested.
Last edited by fantastic2018 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wonka

Post removed.

Postby wonka » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:55 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by wonka on Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:14 pm

mwonka wrote:Have we talked about the dress code for HLS ASW? Do I need to bust out an LBD and buy a blazer, or is it pretty casual all around?

Jeans. You can wear a blazer if you want, but casual is TCR.

jbudz

Postby jbudz » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:21 pm

Is anyone considering deferral? I'm two years out of college already, but the prospect of having a career for the rest. of. my. life is a little intimidating, so I'm thinking of pushing it off a year while I can.

The problem is that I have no real "plan," per se... thinking of just spending the summer at home with my family and maybe moving to Mexico or some other cheap place for 6-9 months - basically an extended study abroad experience (I'd love to work a little so I'm not hemorrhaging money, but that's always complicated in another country).

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:34 pm

jbudz wrote:Is anyone considering deferral? I'm two years out of college already, but the prospect of having a career for the rest. of. my. life is a little intimidating, so I'm thinking of pushing it off a year while I can.

The problem is that I have no real "plan," per se... thinking of just spending the summer at home with my family and maybe moving to Mexico or some other cheap place for 6-9 months - basically an extended study abroad experience (I'd love to work a little so I'm not hemorrhaging money, but that's always complicated in another country).

Do you actually want to go to law school/be a lawyer?

jbudz

Postby jbudz » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:42 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:
jbudz wrote:Is anyone considering deferral? I'm two years out of college already, but the prospect of having a career for the rest. of. my. life is a little intimidating, so I'm thinking of pushing it off a year while I can.

Fully committed - I've been a legal assistant for the last two years and know it's what I want to do. Just not sure it's the ONLY thing I want to do, ever. 'namean?

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:51 pm

jbudz wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:

Fully committed - I've been a legal assistant for the last two years and know it's what I want to do. Just not sure it's the ONLY thing I want to do, ever. 'namean?

Sure, but I don't really understand how deferring another year helps accomplish something significant and different. Just sounds more like you want to put off the real career. Not trying to challenge you or anything -- your post just made it sound like you were really ambivalent about law school/law in general.

IngmarKurosawa

Postby IngmarKurosawa » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:01 pm

jbudz wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:

Any reason why you decided to apply now?

jbudz

Postby jbudz » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:06 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:
jbudz wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:

Sure, but I don't really understand how deferring another year helps accomplish something significant and different. Just sounds more like you want to put off the real career. Not trying to challenge you or anything -- your post just made it sound like you were really ambivalent about law school/law in general.

Right! The only tangible things I would accomplish in a deferral year are brushing up on my Spanish (I want to do PI so this isn't trivial) and regaining mental health after a very stressful application process. I know it's an inherently personal decision, but I feel like law school and a legal career will be there later, whereas my youth... won't.

To answer the question below, I applied with the intention of attending this year, but now that I have an acceptance at Harvard, which makes a point to be supportive of deferrals, I'm weighing the options. Honestly I feel a little burned out, which seems unhealthy going into LS. The alternative is that I quit working as soon as possible (end of May, realistically) and use the summer for the same purpose.

LetsGoMets

Postby LetsGoMets » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:12 pm

jbudz wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:
jbudz wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:

Right! The only tangible things I would accomplish in a deferral year are brushing up on my Spanish (I want to do PI so this isn't trivial) and regaining mental health after a very stressful application process. I know it's an inherently personal decision, but I feel like law school and a legal career will be there later, whereas my youth... won't.

To answer the question below, I applied with the intention of attending this year, but now that I have an acceptance at Harvard, which makes a point to be supportive of deferrals, I'm weighing the options. Honestly I feel a little burned out, which seems unhealthy going into LS. The alternative is that I quit working as soon as possible (end of May, realistically) and use the summer for the same purpose.

You definitely don't want to be burned out going in to school, but 2+ months of nothing to decompress and recharge might be all you need, if you are able to leave your job around Memorial Day. For me, if I don't have any significant work to do for a while (academic or employment) I get seriously bored. YMMV of course.

ddoodle

Postby ddoodle » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:48 pm

Hey everyone! My roommate and I are rising 3Ls and are looking for another roommate for our apartment, which is a block away from the law school. It's $1050 a month, has free laundry in the basement, and is a spacious, sunny apartment with a living room, dining room, large kitchen, and porch. The downside is that our landlady will likely not less us sublet.

See below for more details, and feel free to pm me with any questions.

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/roo/4959734473.html

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:54 pm

I didn't defer, but I actually think that's a good reason to take the year off. Although I think an intent to build up your Spanish is enough, you could also bill it as "building connections for immigration law" or "working with a foreign judicial system." Especially since you already have that Harvard name, you might be able to do a really cool job somewhere else. I also believe that doing this kind of thing will be much, much harder after law school, especially when you have all that debt. It isn't impossible, but I think it'd be good to do it sooner.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:33 pm

mwonka wrote:Have we talked about the dress code for HLS ASW? Do I need to bust out an LBD and buy a blazer, or is it pretty casual all around?

It's casual. Jeans are fine.

omegaweapon

Postby omegaweapon » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:40 pm

I was starting to lean towards taking the money at another school, but I got my grant aid info today, and I'll be getting way more than I expected, so I'm pretty sure I'm going to wind up in Cambridge.

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:54 pm

Pneumonia wrote:

It's casual. Jeans are Nudity is fine.

FTFY

AOT

Postby AOT » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:57 am

jbudz wrote:
LetsGoMets wrote:
jbudz wrote:

I think this sounds like a good idea. I was going to do something similar (except going somewhere French speaking), but then just ended up applying a year later. I actually still think about it as an option but at this point I'm impatient to start. Travelling and learning a language are important things to do, and they wont be as easy to accomplish once you're done with law school and saddled with debt/have to worry about finding jobs. This is the last chance you'll have in a while to just take a year out and do things you've been wanting to do that aren't school and work.

If you have an actual plan I'd say go for it. Law school really isn't going anywhere

LawBron James

Postby LawBron James » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:20 pm

So is anybody going to ASW still interested in going to the Red Sox game next Friday? I'll probably be buying my tickets this weekend, so if anyone else wants to go we should figure out a way to buy seats together somewhere. I've already asked around about good bars in the area to go to before/after :D .

zaetoroftheprotoss

Postby zaetoroftheprotoss » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:41 pm

I'm down to get tickets for the Red Sox...what time is the game at?

yomisterd

Postby yomisterd » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:44 pm

Nonconsecutive wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:

FTFY

stop scaring the 0Ls.

i think this violates title 9 in some way too.

LawBron James

Postby LawBron James » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:45 pm

zaetoroftheprotoss wrote:I'm down to get tickets for the Red Sox...what time is the game at?

I think 7.

cecily2015

Postby cecily2015 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:22 am

LawBron James wrote:So is anybody going to ASW still interested in going to the Red Sox game next Friday? I'll probably be buying my tickets this weekend, so if anyone else wants to go we should figure out a way to buy seats together somewhere. I've already asked around about good bars in the area to go to before/after :D .

I wanna join the after party :P

cecily2015

Postby cecily2015 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:24 am

yomisterd wrote:
Nonconsecutive wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:

FTFY

stop scaring the 0Ls.

i think this violates title 9 in some way too.

Thank u on behalf of all 0Ls :)

cecily2015

Postby cecily2015 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:02 am

Nathanael wrote:Current students- is there anything you guys would suggest doing while on campus/in Cambridge during ASW that isn't programmed?

Wondering about the same thing!

cecily2015

Postby cecily2015 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:13 am

romanesque wrote:
mpc347 wrote:What's the deal with Harvard and ASW travel stipends these days? I read somewhere that they offer 50-200?

Same form as for an application fee waiver. If you didn't receive a fee waiver and your financial situation has changed, can submit a fee waiver form. Need all your financial info + parents. It's a drag.

Totally. They emailed me the application form for fee waiver but don't think I would be bothered to fill out the whole thing. Some schools just give out subsidies!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”