Harvard Law School Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where are you in the decision process?

I'll be at HLS next fall!
90
66%
Still waiting to hear from another school....
4
3%
Still waiting to hear about financial aid :(
7
5%
Absolutely unsure
7
5%
Already withdrew from HLS
28
21%
 
Total votes: 136

User avatar
mustapha_mond
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:06 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby mustapha_mond » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:11 am

Hey all! Checking in with quick question.

Can someone who has gone through the financial aid application PM me with what kind of documents were required? Is it largely the same info as the need access form?

I'm still waiting on my jd.harvard email, but I'd like to be ready to jump on the financial aid application asap.

Indifference
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Indifference » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:37 am

mustapha_mond wrote:Hey all! Checking in with quick question.

Can someone who has gone through the financial aid application PM me with what kind of documents were required? Is it largely the same info as the need access form?

I'm still waiting on my jd.harvard email, but I'd like to be ready to jump on the financial aid application asap.


+1 would love the same as well.

User avatar
psychmusic
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 am

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby psychmusic » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:52 pm

.
Last edited by psychmusic on Fri May 01, 2015 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

foles
Posts: 152
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:00 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby foles » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:57 pm

.
Last edited by foles on Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
radio1nowhere
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby radio1nowhere » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:07 pm

foles wrote:
Pretty much ^^ but detailed list is:

Parent Financial Resources Web Form
Parent 2014 W2 Documentation
Parent 2014 1040 Signed w/Schedules
HLS Main Online Institutional App.(NP)
Free App for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Student Financial Resources Web Form
Ethical Responsibility Web Form


The web forms can be accessed here: http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/sfs/financi ... aid-forms/

User avatar
RedColossus
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:36 am

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby RedColossus » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:08 pm

Apologize if this has been asked, but when do you guys think the best time to fly in for the April ASW is? I only ask because I haven't received anything on it yet and don't have login credentials yet so haven't seen a schedule. I'd like to buy airfare soon-ish. Do events start on that Friday afternoon? Thanks!

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:10 pm

RedColossus wrote:Apologize if this has been asked, but when do you guys think the best time to fly in for the April ASW is? I only ask because I haven't received anything on it yet and don't have login credentials yet so haven't seen a schedule. I'd like to buy airfare soon-ish. Do events start on that Friday afternoon? Thanks!


For the March one the first thing started at 2 pm and that was just campus and housing tours (which I thought were important to go to but not required). First actual event was at 4:30 I believe.

User avatar
lashley
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:04 am

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby lashley » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:12 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:
RedColossus wrote:Apologize if this has been asked, but when do you guys think the best time to fly in for the April ASW is? I only ask because I haven't received anything on it yet and don't have login credentials yet so haven't seen a schedule. I'd like to buy airfare soon-ish. Do events start on that Friday afternoon? Thanks!


For the March one the first thing started at 2 pm and that was just campus and housing tours (which I thought were important to go to but not required). First actual event was at 4:30 I believe.


But this was on Saturday not Friday, just to be clear. I don't think you need to be there Friday unless you're flying in from really far away.

User avatar
yot11
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby yot11 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:17 pm

Yeah assuming the schedule for April is the same as March, I flew in Saturday morning, checked into the hotel, and rolled into ASW just in time for the campus and housing tours. Can save you a night at the hotel.

User avatar
RedColossus
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:36 am

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby RedColossus » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:36 pm

Oh that's great to know guys, that will save me a bunch, hotels in Cambridge are like $400 a night that weekend...
Thinking of staying in Connecticut and chartering a helicopter to and from campus to land on the quad for those prices...

User avatar
RedColossus
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:36 am

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby RedColossus » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:46 pm

Are there any events Monday, like sitting in on classes or anything like that?

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:47 pm

RedColossus wrote:Are there any events Monday, like sitting in on classes or anything like that?


Yep - sitting in on classes, visiting clinics, lunch with faculty, open houses at the financial aid office, etc.

JMcG
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby JMcG » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:50 pm

Has anyone gone through the financial aid appeal process? I feel like they lowballed me with grants, and I'm just wondering what my chances of just slightly increasing grant money are. It would be really nice to search a bit less desperately for sources of outside funding, and I would prefer to keep my kidneys where they are, for the time being.

User avatar
HorseThief
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby HorseThief » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:09 pm

JMcG wrote:Has anyone gone through the financial aid appeal process? I feel like they lowballed me with grants, and I'm just wondering what my chances of just slightly increasing grant money are. It would be really nice to search a bit less desperately for sources of outside funding, and I would prefer to keep my kidneys where they are, for the time being.


I haven't appealed before, but they'll probably just tell you to take out loans. According to their 509 statement, half of the school doesn't get any grant money, and those individuals either have helpful parents, reserve funds, or are financing the entirety of HLS with loans. I'd imagine most are going the loan route. It's totally possible, so I don't know how sympathetic they'll be.

User avatar
yot11
Posts: 184
Joined: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby yot11 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:26 pm

JMcG wrote:Has anyone gone through the financial aid appeal process? I feel like they lowballed me with grants, and I'm just wondering what my chances of just slightly increasing grant money are. It would be really nice to search a bit less desperately for sources of outside funding, and I would prefer to keep my kidneys where they are, for the time being.


I've read somewhere that all they will do in the appeal process is double check to see if their formula was applied correctly (ie no clerical errors). I don't think they will reconsider on any other grounds.

User avatar
yomisterd
Posts: 1556
Joined: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:52 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby yomisterd » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:29 pm

RedColossus wrote:Oh that's great to know guys, that will save me a bunch, hotels in Cambridge are like $400 a night that weekend...
Thinking of staying in Connecticut and chartering a helicopter to and from campus to land on the quad for those prices...


I'd recommend trying to find an AirBnB for the weekend if you are comfortable with that. It will save you a ton.

User avatar
Nonconsecutive
Posts: 2249
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:57 pm

JMcG wrote:Has anyone gone through the financial aid appeal process? I feel like they lowballed me with grants, and I'm just wondering what my chances of just slightly increasing grant money are. It would be really nice to search a bit less desperately for sources of outside funding, and I would prefer to keep my kidneys where they are, for the time being.


As someone who successfully appealed for more money, I will say that unless something MAJOR has changed since you sent in your information (e.g. you had a child you didn't report, or there was a sudden large reduction in your assets (and by large I mean large) OR you have sizeably more money ($2,000+) from Yale or Stanford (period, no other school will matter) then I would not waste your time.

User avatar
leslieknope
Posts: 1094
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby leslieknope » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:44 pm

Just got my @harvard email address! Brb emailing everyone I know.

User avatar
hillz
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:41 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby hillz » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:07 pm

leslieknope wrote:Just got my @harvard email address! Brb emailing everyone I know.


LOL. I definitely emailed my family members.
Last edited by hillz on Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indifference
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Indifference » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:16 pm

Was there a time gap between getting the hls email account and being able to activate on Financial Aid? I'm getting an error message telling me to contact finaid, and I'm not sure if I should wait or just call.

ETA:
Just in case anyone was wondering, I called and they told me I was a little too quick to try and get on the system... emails will go out in a few business days saying when new admits can apply for finaid.

User avatar
whosinthehousejc
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:54 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby whosinthehousejc » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:48 pm

mujiali wrote:Was there a time gap between getting the hls email account and being able to activate on Financial Aid? I'm getting an error message telling me to contact finaid, and I'm not sure if I should wait or just call.

ETA:
Just in case anyone was wondering, I called and they told me I was a little too quick to try and get on the system... emails will go out in a few business days saying when new admits can apply for finaid.


So are y'all unable to access the entire Admitted Students portal w/ your new HLS email IDs, or just the finaid section? I can't get into either.

Indifference
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Indifference » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:52 pm

whosinthehousejc wrote:
mujiali wrote:Was there a time gap between getting the hls email account and being able to activate on Financial Aid? I'm getting an error message telling me to contact finaid, and I'm not sure if I should wait or just call.

ETA:
Just in case anyone was wondering, I called and they told me I was a little too quick to try and get on the system... emails will go out in a few business days saying when new admits can apply for finaid.


So are y'all unable to access the entire Admitted Students portal w/ your new HLS email IDs, or just the finaid section? I can't get into either.


I got into everything except the finaid section. For the non finaid stuff, you need to set up your email using the "Claim Me" info in the email that was sent to you.

User avatar
whosinthehousejc
Posts: 228
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:54 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby whosinthehousejc » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:17 pm

mujiali wrote:
whosinthehousejc wrote:
mujiali wrote:Was there a time gap between getting the hls email account and being able to activate on Financial Aid? I'm getting an error message telling me to contact finaid, and I'm not sure if I should wait or just call.

ETA:
Just in case anyone was wondering, I called and they told me I was a little too quick to try and get on the system... emails will go out in a few business days saying when new admits can apply for finaid.


So are y'all unable to access the entire Admitted Students portal w/ your new HLS email IDs, or just the finaid section? I can't get into either.


I got into everything except the finaid section. For the non finaid stuff, you need to set up your email using the "Claim Me" info in the email that was sent to you.


So, jharvard@jd18.law.harvard.edu + same PW as the harvard/google email account, or does the AS portal use the HUID?

Indifference
Posts: 535
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:01 am

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Indifference » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:40 pm

whosinthehousejc wrote:
mujiali wrote:
whosinthehousejc wrote:
mujiali wrote:Was there a time gap between getting the hls email account and being able to activate on Financial Aid? I'm getting an error message telling me to contact finaid, and I'm not sure if I should wait or just call.

ETA:
Just in case anyone was wondering, I called and they told me I was a little too quick to try and get on the system... emails will go out in a few business days saying when new admits can apply for finaid.


So are y'all unable to access the entire Admitted Students portal w/ your new HLS email IDs, or just the finaid section? I can't get into either.


I got into everything except the finaid section. For the non finaid stuff, you need to set up your email using the "Claim Me" info in the email that was sent to you.


So, jharvard@jd18.law.harvard.edu + same PW as the harvard/google email account, or does the AS portal use the HUID?


The former, yes.

User avatar
psychmusic
Posts: 245
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 am

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby psychmusic » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:42 pm

.
Last edited by psychmusic on Fri May 01, 2015 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest