Harvard Law School Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where are you in the decision process?

I'll be at HLS next fall!
66%
Still waiting to hear from another school....
3%
Still waiting to hear about financial aid :(
5%
Absolutely unsure
5%
Already withdrew from HLS
21%

Total votes: 136

Fawkes

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Fawkes » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:18 pm

Pau.C. wrote:
fantastic2018 wrote:Did anyone from the 1/20 acceptance wave receive a book?

Got mine today as well. It's a pretty awesome move on Harvard's part. I'm impressed.

Got mine as well. Harvard accidentally sent all of my mail to the wrong address, so I just tracked it down today, and all of it was there. :) Such a relief! This whole time, I was half afraid the acceptance was all one big joke since I wasn't getting any physical mail from them.

musedreverie

Postby musedreverie » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:07 am

Fawkes wrote:
Pau.C. wrote:
fantastic2018 wrote:Did anyone from the 1/20 acceptance wave receive a book?

Got mine today as well. It's a pretty awesome move on Harvard's part. I'm impressed.

Got mine as well. Harvard accidentally sent all of my mail to the wrong address, so I just tracked it down today, and all of it was there. :) Such a relief! This whole time, I was half afraid the acceptance was all one big joke since I wasn't getting any physical mail from them.

Whoa how did you track them down!?

Such a shame I have no material proof that I actually got accepted.. 2/2 acceptee and still no hard copy letter in my mailbox

mxq3r9

Postby mxq3r9 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:20 am

So I'm wondering if I should bother bringing a suit with me to ASW. Any advice? Appreciate it!

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:31 am

mxq3r9 wrote:So I'm wondering if I should bother bringing a suit with me to ASW. Any advice? Appreciate it!

Do not bring a suit. It's mega overkill (although in last year's thread we decided that tux wold be appropriate if you want).

morimoto1991

Postby morimoto1991 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:22 am

Just wondering, has anyone accepted their offers yet?

ElizabethKB

Postby ElizabethKB » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:18 pm

HorseThief wrote:
mxq3r9 wrote:So I'm wondering if I should bother bringing a suit with me to ASW. Any advice? Appreciate it!

Do not bring a suit. It's mega overkill (although in last year's thread we decided that tux wold be appropriate if you want).

haha. But seriously, what is the attire for the weekend? (classic TLS obsessing over everything).

Nathanael

Postby Nathanael » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:27 pm

ElizabethKB wrote:
HorseThief wrote:

haha. But seriously, what is the attire for the weekend? (classic TLS obsessing over everything).

I was planning on taking fairly casual clothes, personally. But I'm curious as to what others are doing as well. If everyone is going to be business casual then I don't want to be the slouch of the group.

ElizabethKB

Postby ElizabethKB » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:29 pm

Nathanael wrote:
ElizabethKB wrote:
HorseThief wrote:

I was planning on taking fairly casual clothes, personally. But I'm curious as to what others are doing as well. If everyone is going to be business casual then I don't want to be the slouch of the group.

The email from JS says casual.

Nathanael

Postby Nathanael » Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:13 pm

ElizabethKB wrote:The email from JS says casual.

Okay, cool! Just saw the e-mail, actually.. Oh god we already got our first reading assignment haha

ikethegremlin

Postby ikethegremlin » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:09 pm

So what's the deal with the Dean's Certification that's in the admissions pack? How does that all work?

lashley

Postby lashley » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:58 pm

Just saw tuition went up to 57,200 for next year. Makes me want to cry in a corner

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:11 pm

ikethegremlin wrote:So what's the deal with the Dean's Certification that's in the admissions pack? How does that all work?

I don't remember that by name. Is that the thing you have to send to the Dean of your UG to prove that you weren't disciplined?

ikethegremlin

Postby ikethegremlin » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:14 pm

HorseThief wrote:
ikethegremlin wrote:So what's the deal with the Dean's Certification that's in the admissions pack? How does that all work?

I don't remember that by name. Is that the thing you have to send to the Dean of your UG to prove that you weren't disciplined?

I guess? I honestly find it a little confusing, it's a page in the booklet that looks as if you are supposed to tear it out, and then there are a couple of envelopes, pre addressed... just a logistics thing I need to actually sit down and think about for half a second. Thought if anyone else had detailed instructions I wouldn't waste my time.

fra

Postby fra » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:18 pm

1/20 admit. I just got my book!

ElizabethKB

Postby ElizabethKB » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:01 pm

Nathanael wrote:
ElizabethKB wrote:The email from JS says casual.

Okay, cool! Just saw the e-mail, actually.. Oh god we already got our first reading assignment haha

And so it begins...

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:12 am

Re: ASW

Last year I wore a blazer with jeans and a button front and felt so overdressed that I lost the blazer almost immediately. For guys your maximum formality at ASW should be jeans and a button front. T-shirt and shorts was not at all uncommon.

Also, ASW is just an extended party and should be a zero pressure weekend academically. No need to do the reading if you don't want to. Even if you're there to evaluate the campus, classes, students etc., there's no need to feel pressured at all.

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:20 am

Pneumonia wrote:Re: ASW

Last year I wore a blazer with jeans and a button front and felt so overdressed that I lost the blazer almost immediately. For guys your maximum formality at ASW should be jeans and a button front. T-shirt and shorts was not at all uncommon.

Also, ASW is just an extended party and should be a zero pressure weekend academically. No need to do the reading if you don't want to. Even if you're there to evaluate the campus, classes, students etc., there's no need to feel pressured at all.

+1

Last year Klarman gave a lecture on the Brown v. BOE supreme court. Didn't even mention anything in the readings once. You definitely shouldn't feel pressured to do the reading.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:37 pm

HorseThief wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:Re: ASW

+1

Last year Klarman gave a lecture on the Brown v. BOE supreme court. Didn't even mention anything in the readings once. You definitely shouldn't feel pressured to do the reading.

You shouldn't feel pressured to do the reading even once you're a student.

This isn't med school.

Nathanael

Postby Nathanael » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:41 pm

Current students- is there anything you guys would suggest doing while on campus/in Cambridge during ASW that isn't programmed?

Hat.trick

Postby Hat.trick » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:04 pm

Has anybody recieved Financial Aid info back? I know its still really early but i was just curious. I filled out my application and sent in my FAFSA the day the financial aid email came out.

omegaweapon

Postby omegaweapon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:36 pm

HorseThief and TripTrip, do you recommend bringing anything to ASW like a notebook or a bag to carry things they give us, or is everything we need provided for us?

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:05 pm

Nathanael wrote:Current students- is there anything you guys would suggest doing while on campus/in Cambridge during ASW that isn't programmed?

The only thing I can think of would be to walk around Cambridge a lot. Sure, it's cold, but that might help you decide how far away from campus you're willing to live.

HorseThief

Postby HorseThief » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:06 pm

omegaweapon wrote:HorseThief and TripTrip, do you recommend bringing anything to ASW like a notebook or a bag to carry things they give us, or is everything we need provided for us?

Last year they gave out bags/backpacks to carry stuff. I'd only bring a notebook if you're the kind of person who really wants to take notes of finaid talks or similar programs. Otherwise, though, you probably won't need anything.

omegaweapon

Postby omegaweapon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:24 pm

Thanks HorseThief!

Nonconsecutive

Postby Nonconsecutive » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:52 pm

ikethegremlin wrote:
HorseThief wrote:

I guess? I honestly find it a little confusing, it's a page in the booklet that looks as if you are supposed to tear it out, and then there are a couple of envelopes, pre addressed... just a logistics thing I need to actually sit down and think about for half a second. Thought if anyone else had detailed instructions I wouldn't waste my time.

Yeah you just have to take it to your UG to get filled out. It might be one of several difference offices. At my UG it was some office I had never even heard of. I'd just start with the Dean of Students and go from there.

Pneumonia wrote:Also, ASW is just an extended party and should be a zero pressure weekend academically. No need to do the reading if you don't want to. Even if you're there to evaluate the campus, classes, students etc., there's no need to feel pressured at all.

I agree with this, I thought I remembered being cold-called during ASW but then I remembered that was orientation.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”