Harvard Law School Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where are you in the decision process?

I'll be at HLS next fall!
90
66%
Still waiting to hear from another school....
4
3%
Still waiting to hear about financial aid :(
7
5%
Absolutely unsure
7
5%
Already withdrew from HLS
28
21%
 
Total votes: 136

Fawkes
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:16 am

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Fawkes » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:47 am

taks7 wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote:
taks7 wrote:Just wondering: has anyone from the 2/2 wave received their admissions package yet?


Nope and I check every day :?


Glad to know I'm not the only one :p


This just made me realize that I haven't received mine yet either. I was admitted in the 1/20 wave. I have received my packets from other schools, including Stanford, where I wasn't admitted until 2/3. Is this bizarre, or is someone else in the same boat? Sometimes, our mailman decides to deliver our mail to other people, so that may be the cause.

User avatar
strugglebus
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:20 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby strugglebus » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:40 am

Fawkes wrote:This just made me realize that I haven't received mine yet either. I was admitted in the 1/20 wave. I have received my packets from other schools, including Stanford, where I wasn't admitted until 2/3. Is this bizarre, or is someone else in the same boat? Sometimes, our mailman decides to deliver our mail to other people, so that may be the cause.

Stanford's packets have been coming within a couple of days for lots of people, so I wouldn't assume anything's wrong based on that.

cc240
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:10 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby cc240 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:46 am

Fawkes wrote:
taks7 wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote:
taks7 wrote:Just wondering: has anyone from the 2/2 wave received their admissions package yet?


Nope and I check every day :?


Glad to know I'm not the only one :p


This just made me realize that I haven't received mine yet either. I was admitted in the 1/20 wave. I have received my packets from other schools, including Stanford, where I wasn't admitted until 2/3. Is this bizarre, or is someone else in the same boat? Sometimes, our mailman decides to deliver our mail to other people, so that may be the cause.


That would be interesting to see what the neighbors say when they receieved the Harvard Law packet.

Fawkes
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:16 am

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Fawkes » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:51 am

cc240 wrote:That would be interesting to see what the neighbors say when they receieved the Harvard Law packet.


Lol. I hope the response isn't, "I didn't apply to law school...must be an advertisement. Just gonna toss it."

I'm just worried they won't know how to send it to me if they get it by mistake. That's happened before, and I had to go track a package down myself because the status said it was delivered, but it obviously wasn't delivered to me. Is there anything crucial in the packet that isn't already sent to us via the Harvard e-mail?

User avatar
radio1nowhere
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby radio1nowhere » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:28 pm

The HLS financial aid process just opened!! Check your @jd emails, everyone :mrgreen:

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby ChemEng1642 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:38 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:The HLS financial aid process just opened!! Check your @jd emails, everyone :mrgreen:


gogogogogogogoooo!

User avatar
ikethegremlin
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:09 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby ikethegremlin » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:05 pm

I'll be 25 as a 1L, 26 in 2L, and 27 in 3L. Each time before the September cutoff that they use when considering parental resources:

http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/sfs/basics- ... resources/

Does anyone have a sense of whether I'll qualify for much grant aid in my final year given that my parents are sorta upper middle class and thus in that irritating bracket of people-who-on-paper-can-afford-my-tuition-but-in-reality-would-really-rather-not.

Their expected contribution drops by 50% by virtue of my age, but then I will have (hopefully) just earned 30Kish in my 2L summer.

I know this stuff is complex but does anyone have a clue how that plays out?

Nathanael
Posts: 97
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Nathanael » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:12 pm

If we know we aren't going to qualify for aid, do we have to do Need Access?

User avatar
HorseThief
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby HorseThief » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:13 pm

Nathanael wrote:If we know we aren't going to qualify for aid, do we have to do Need Access?


No, you can just apply for loans.

User avatar
HorseThief
Posts: 713
Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby HorseThief » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:16 pm

ikethegremlin wrote:I'll be 25 as a 1L, 26 in 2L, and 27 in 3L. Each time before the September cutoff that they use when considering parental resources:

http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/sfs/basics- ... resources/

Does anyone have a sense of whether I'll qualify for much grant aid in my final year given that my parents are sorta upper middle class and thus in that irritating bracket of people-who-on-paper-can-afford-my-tuition-but-in-reality-would-really-rather-not.

Their expected contribution drops by 50% by virtue of my age, but then I will have (hopefully) just earned 30Kish in my 2L summer.

I know this stuff is complex but does anyone have a clue how that plays out?


I would guess that you won't qualify for aid. Especially if you worked some in the past year and they made ~$150k+, I would be surprised if you got any grants. However, their system is entirely confusing, so it's probably the worth the few hours of headache to see if I'm wrong.

User avatar
ikethegremlin
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:09 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby ikethegremlin » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:31 pm

HorseThief wrote:
ikethegremlin wrote:I'll be 25 as a 1L, 26 in 2L, and 27 in 3L. Each time before the September cutoff that they use when considering parental resources:

http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/sfs/basics- ... resources/

Does anyone have a sense of whether I'll qualify for much grant aid in my final year given that my parents are sorta upper middle class and thus in that irritating bracket of people-who-on-paper-can-afford-my-tuition-but-in-reality-would-really-rather-not.

Their expected contribution drops by 50% by virtue of my age, but then I will have (hopefully) just earned 30Kish in my 2L summer.

I know this stuff is complex but does anyone have a clue how that plays out?


I would guess that you won't qualify for aid. Especially if you worked some in the past year and they made ~$150k+, I would be surprised if you got any grants. However, their system is entirely confusing, so it's probably the worth the few hours of headache to see if I'm wrong.


Yeah. Presumably if this year I just do the expedited 'I expect no grant aid so I'm not going to do all the complex parental forms' version, I can still do the full one for my 2L and 3L year when there's a small chance I might actually qualify?

m_ross
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:38 am

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby m_ross » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:43 pm

ikethegremlin wrote:
HorseThief wrote:
ikethegremlin wrote:I'll be 25 as a 1L, 26 in 2L, and 27 in 3L. Each time before the September cutoff that they use when considering parental resources:

http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/sfs/basics- ... resources/

Does anyone have a sense of whether I'll qualify for much grant aid in my final year given that my parents are sorta upper middle class and thus in that irritating bracket of people-who-on-paper-can-afford-my-tuition-but-in-reality-would-really-rather-not.

Their expected contribution drops by 50% by virtue of my age, but then I will have (hopefully) just earned 30Kish in my 2L summer.

I know this stuff is complex but does anyone have a clue how that plays out?


I would guess that you won't qualify for aid. Especially if you worked some in the past year and they made ~$150k+, I would be surprised if you got any grants. However, their system is entirely confusing, so it's probably the worth the few hours of headache to see if I'm wrong.


Yeah. Presumably if this year I just do the expedited 'I expect no grant aid so I'm not going to do all the complex parental forms' version, I can still do the full one for my 2L and 3L year when there's a small chance I might actually qualify?


I asked about this last year, and yes, you can do only loans this year and apply for grants next year or the year after - it's a new application every year.

User avatar
LetsGoMets
Posts: 824
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:32 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby LetsGoMets » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:48 pm

HorseThief wrote:
Nathanael wrote:If we know we aren't going to qualify for aid, do we have to do Need Access?


No, you can just apply for loans.


Also, HLS uses a proprietary system rather than Need Access, if I'm not mistaken.

User avatar
radio1nowhere
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby radio1nowhere » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:52 pm

.
Last edited by radio1nowhere on Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Pneumonia » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:12 pm

Be forewarned, the need aid process here is just layers and layers of complexity. Every non standard factor (split family, married, weird jobs, kids, etc.) geometrically increases the hassle too.

User avatar
heythatslife
Posts: 897
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby heythatslife » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:25 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:
ikethegremlin wrote:
Does anyone have a sense of whether I'll qualify for much grant aid in my final year given that my parents are sorta upper middle class and thus in that irritating bracket of people-who-on-paper-can-afford-my-tuition-but-in-reality-would-really-rather-not.


This is my biggest fear. My parents are solidly middle class but have four younger kids to get through undergrad and they won't be contributing a single penny towards my law education. I'm K-JD so I don't have much in the bank. I think $200K debt would be too much for me, and after my original JS2 elation I'm starting to feel the Harvard dream beginning to slip away.. :(

EDIT: Of course, I'm going to ride this one all the way to the end in the hopes that they give me something!

Are any of your siblings currently in undergrad? If they are, the amount of their tuitions will be struck off from your parents' available income for financial aid calculations so it becomes much easier for you to get aid.

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby ChemEng1642 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:11 am

heythatslife wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote:
ikethegremlin wrote:
Does anyone have a sense of whether I'll qualify for much grant aid in my final year given that my parents are sorta upper middle class and thus in that irritating bracket of people-who-on-paper-can-afford-my-tuition-but-in-reality-would-really-rather-not.


This is my biggest fear. My parents are solidly middle class but have four younger kids to get through undergrad and they won't be contributing a single penny towards my law education. I'm K-JD so I don't have much in the bank. I think $200K debt would be too much for me, and after my original JS2 elation I'm starting to feel the Harvard dream beginning to slip away.. :(

EDIT: Of course, I'm going to ride this one all the way to the end in the hopes that they give me something!

Are any of your siblings currently in undergrad? If they are, the amount of their tuitions will be struck off from your parents' available income for financial aid calculations so it becomes much easier for you to get aid.


This is my only hope!

LSCHI
Posts: 118
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:15 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby LSCHI » Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:28 am

ChemEng1642 wrote:
heythatslife wrote:
radio1nowhere wrote:
ikethegremlin wrote:
Does anyone have a sense of whether I'll qualify for much grant aid in my final year given that my parents are sorta upper middle class and thus in that irritating bracket of people-who-on-paper-can-afford-my-tuition-but-in-reality-would-really-rather-not.


This is my biggest fear. My parents are solidly middle class but have four younger kids to get through undergrad and they won't be contributing a single penny towards my law education. I'm K-JD so I don't have much in the bank. I think $200K debt would be too much for me, and after my original JS2 elation I'm starting to feel the Harvard dream beginning to slip away.. :(

EDIT: Of course, I'm going to ride this one all the way to the end in the hopes that they give me something!

Are any of your siblings currently in undergrad? If they are, the amount of their tuitions will be struck off from your parents' available income for financial aid calculations so it becomes much easier for you to get aid.


This is my only hope!

I have no hope unless I am able to get one of my parents taken off (there are unusual circumstances). Has anyone ever heard of a successful attempt to do this?

Orion311
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:11 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Orion311 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:06 pm

How sad would it be if one of your parents was unemployed for the last 4.5 years and ate up a ton of equity and whatnot then finally just got a job which puts you into the no-aid zone a month before aid applications :(. Not that I know anything about that.

User avatar
ChemEng1642
Posts: 1239
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:26 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby ChemEng1642 » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:09 pm

Orion311 wrote:How sad would it be if one of your parents was unemployed for the last 4.5 years and ate up a ton of equity and whatnot then finally just got a job which puts you into the no-aid zone a month before aid applications :(. Not that I know anything about that.


:(

Put it in a special circumstances section? Not sure if that'll help though

User avatar
malleus discentium
Posts: 878
Joined: Sun May 26, 2013 2:30 am

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby malleus discentium » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:16 pm

ikethegremlin wrote:I'll be 25 as a 1L, 26 in 2L, and 27 in 3L. Each time before the September cutoff that they use when considering parental resources:

http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/sfs/basics- ... resources/

Does anyone have a sense of whether I'll qualify for much grant aid in my final year given that my parents are sorta upper middle class and thus in that irritating bracket of people-who-on-paper-can-afford-my-tuition-but-in-reality-would-really-rather-not.

Their expected contribution drops by 50% by virtue of my age, but then I will have (hopefully) just earned 30Kish in my 2L summer.

I know this stuff is complex but does anyone have a clue how that plays out?

As has been pointed out in the ask a Harvard student thread, this is one area where it's totally useless to ask current students. No answers we can give are going to be particularly helpful for you, since nobody is really aware of the system SFS uses and everyone's situation is different. If you have questions, you will only get real answers from SFS itself.

Fred Norris
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:18 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Fred Norris » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:59 pm

Sorry if this isn't the right thread. All of my HLS documents are shown as submitted. Only thing pending is the reception of my FAFSA. The finaid process is kind of tedious. Do I just sit back and wait to get notification that my FAFSA has been received, and then sit back and wait again for some word on my aid package?

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Pneumonia » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:13 am

Fred Norris wrote:Sorry if this isn't the right thread. All of my HLS documents are shown as submitted. Only thing pending is the reception of my FAFSA. The finaid process is kind of tedious. Do I just sit back and wait to get notification that my FAFSA has been received, and then sit back and wait again for some word on my aid package?


you've only just peeled the surface of tedium.

IIRC last year the first aid offers went out mid April, but I might be misremembering. If all of your docs are submitted just keep an eye on the page, but you're right that the ball is out of your court.

Fred Norris
Posts: 192
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:18 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Fred Norris » Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:30 am

Pneumonia wrote:
you've only just peeled the surface of tedium.

IIRC last year the first aid offers went out mid April, but I might be misremembering. If all of your docs are submitted just keep an eye on the page, but you're right that the ball is out of your court.


They're saying 10 business days upon the receipt of all documents. It's BS?

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1644
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Postby Pneumonia » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:48 am

Hmmmm maybe not. I might be remembering wrong.




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: houritsu, radio1nowhere and 1 guest