Harvard Law School Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where are you in the decision process?

I'll be at HLS next fall!
65%
Still waiting to hear from another school....
3%
Still waiting to hear about financial aid :(
6%
Absolutely unsure
6%
Already withdrew from HLS
20%

Total votes: 143

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:37 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Mack.Hambleton wrote:
TripTrip wrote:[
Do you know what percentage of of the class in 1L courses gets an LP?
Between 0% and 8%.
Thanks. How do visiting professors work does HLS just give them a grading scale?

S.Lee2018

New

Post by S.Lee2018 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:26 am

TripTrip wrote:
S.Lee2018 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:omg in Section 1's Civ Pro class 25% of your grade is "quality of cold calls"

:(
I would be very surprised if that ended up being the case. HLS profs aren't supposed to grade class participation in 1L courses.
May I know where this rule locates? I glanced over the Handbook of Academic Policies, but didn't find anything like this.
It would be nice if these types of rules were documented publicly. The best we have are private conversations with professors who divulged the types of standards they are held to.

We know there is a recommended curve for classes over 30 students (this means LPs) and that this curve is more strictly enforced during 1L. We also know that professors giving an exam generally must engage in blind grading, which is why you have a unique exam ID every term and are specifically disallowed from indicating on your exam who you are. There are exceptions to blind grading, most obviously when you write a paper for a class instead of taking an exam.

In classes over 60 students (even in 2L and 3L) professors don't grade participation because, quite simply, how the hell do you keep track of the participation of that many students? You can read about how this was a big issue five years ago. General consensus is they've clamped down on participation grading a bit since that fiasco. But, as mentioned above, we don't know for sure.

A lot of visiting professors for 1L classes like to say they grade participation to frighten students into participating. It's a common visiting theme. But you probably don't have any tenured professors telling students they grade cold calls when they don't because they're figured out it's just a mean thing to do. (And lying to students isn't a good way to establish credibility.)

In other words, I have nothing to reference. It's just conventional understanding. It could be wrong. It probably shouldn't affect how you prepare for class either way.
Thanks for the clarification! Then I guess my professor just doesn't follow the crowd 8)

tonysoprano

Bronze

Post by tonysoprano » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:26 pm

What login do we use for reading group sign up? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here...

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:28 pm

tonysoprano wrote:What login do we use for reading group sign up? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here...
helios

polareagle

Bronze

Post by polareagle » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:00 am

S.Lee2018 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
S.Lee2018 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
ChemEng1642 wrote:omg in Section 1's Civ Pro class 25% of your grade is "quality of cold calls"

:(
I would be very surprised if that ended up being the case. HLS profs aren't supposed to grade class participation in 1L courses.
May I know where this rule locates? I glanced over the Handbook of Academic Policies, but didn't find anything like this.
It would be nice if these types of rules were documented publicly. The best we have are private conversations with professors who divulged the types of standards they are held to.

We know there is a recommended curve for classes over 30 students (this means LPs) and that this curve is more strictly enforced during 1L. We also know that professors giving an exam generally must engage in blind grading, which is why you have a unique exam ID every term and are specifically disallowed from indicating on your exam who you are. There are exceptions to blind grading, most obviously when you write a paper for a class instead of taking an exam.

In classes over 60 students (even in 2L and 3L) professors don't grade participation because, quite simply, how the hell do you keep track of the participation of that many students? You can read about how this was a big issue five years ago. General consensus is they've clamped down on participation grading a bit since that fiasco. But, as mentioned above, we don't know for sure.

A lot of visiting professors for 1L classes like to say they grade participation to frighten students into participating. It's a common visiting theme. But you probably don't have any tenured professors telling students they grade cold calls when they don't because they're figured out it's just a mean thing to do. (And lying to students isn't a good way to establish credibility.)

In other words, I have nothing to reference. It's just conventional understanding. It could be wrong. It probably shouldn't affect how you prepare for class either way.
Thanks for the clarification! Then I guess my professor just doesn't follow the crowd 8)
For now.
One of my professors tried something similar.
I don't know whether someone officially complained to the registrar or whether the word just got out, but he came to class about the third week and explained how he would be revising the grading scale from what was printed in the syllabus (getting rid of cold calls). These sorts of "innovations" have a way of getting knocked out well before exams come up.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

heythatslife

Silver

Post by heythatslife » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:09 pm

TripTrip wrote:
In classes over 60 students (even in 2L and 3L) professors don't grade participation because, quite simply, how the hell do you keep track of the participation of that many students?
Seems to me you've never taken a class with Jeannie Suk? She has a TA come in every class to keep a meticulous record every cold call, and the call list is generated in random sequence in advance. We were under the impression that it could adversely impact your grade if it was clear that you hadn't done the reading or made no effort to come up with a half-way decent answer, and nobody thought she was bluffing. But yeah, most profs would not go to this length.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:38 am

heythatslife wrote:Seems to me you've never taken a class with Jeannie Suk?
Suk is the exception that proves the rule. And not just with her treatment of cold calls.

AnMzungu

Bronze

Post by AnMzungu » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:38 am

Fork over my grades.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:27 pm

Anyone else pushing the panic button?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:41 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:Anyone else pushing the panic button?
For me it's kinda just the "ah shoot I guess I better try harder" button. Sub-median grades don't really foreclose good outcomes out of HLS

downbeat14

Silver

Post by downbeat14 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:35 pm

How's everyone liking second semester? Better, worse, same old? Easier or harder? More free time or less?

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:15 pm

Better for me since my electives are ez

downbeat14

Silver

Post by downbeat14 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:34 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:Better for me since my electives are ez
Same. Really glad I listened to 2Ls and took anal meth (even though it's all review for me :D ).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:08 pm

downbeat14 wrote:
Same. Really glad I listened to 2Ls and took anal meth (even though it's all review for me :D ).
I have brutal memories involving regressions from my undergrad Econometrics course; how intense is the stat in anal methods? Do you guys have to use the dark, twisted pit of despair that is STATA?

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:26 pm

Easier in that I feel like I get what I'm doing.
Harder in that I have much more trouble caring.

downbeat14

Silver

Post by downbeat14 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:05 pm

radio1nowhere wrote:
downbeat14 wrote:
I have brutal memories involving regressions from my undergrad Econometrics course; how intense is the stat in anal methods? Do you guys have to use the dark, twisted pit of despair that is STATA?
We haven't started the statistics unit; but based on the softness of the other anal meths we've covered, I would be shocked if STATA is even mentioned.

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:38 am

downbeat14 wrote:How's everyone liking second semester? Better, worse, same old? Easier or harder? More free time or less?
i have 20000% less motivation and basically do the bare minimum, it's been amazing compared to 1st semester :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Fri May 06, 2016 12:07 am

Just wanted to put this out there.
If any of you was the one to upload the outline for Anderson's Public Intl. Law to Dope today, you are a wonderful person.

downbeat14

Silver

Post by downbeat14 » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:54 pm

Has anyone else still not gotten their upper level grade? Will this come in before the other 1L grades, or can it come in after?

tonysoprano

Bronze

Post by tonysoprano » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:51 am

Does anyone know a good E&E for Parker's fourteenth? I was looking at this but was unsure b/c it's "individual rights" - haven't really been keeping up this semester so idk how well that'll fit the class. Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”