Harvard Law School Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where are you in the decision process?

I'll be at HLS next fall!
65%
Still waiting to hear from another school....
3%
Still waiting to hear about financial aid :(
6%
Absolutely unsure
6%
Already withdrew from HLS
20%

Total votes: 143

ChemEng1642

Silver

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Post by ChemEng1642 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:32 am

Section 1!

Also what is this Questionnaire assignment lol - it's a blank text box...

blueberrycrumble

Bronze

Post by blueberrycrumble » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:59 am

ChemEng1642 wrote:Section 1!

Lol does it show up as blank for you? Maybe email them back to check...
Our section's has actually questions with text boxes next to them to fill out

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:20 pm

blueberrycrumble wrote:

Lol does it show up as blank for you? Maybe email them back to check...
Our section's has actually questions with text boxes next to them to fill out
Yeah it's probably ur browser or something

saltisgood

New

Post by saltisgood » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:01 pm

Free verse poem on your feelings about HLS, duh

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:32 pm

When are you guys planning to buy textbooks?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blueberrycrumble

Bronze

Post by blueberrycrumble » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:05 pm

foxes wrote:When are you guys planning to buy textbooks?
And are you planning on (I assume no one is buying through the bookstore):

- Buying new through Amazon
- Buying used through Amazon
- Buying used through 2Ls
- Renting through various online textbook websites

I really really dislike highlighting in books so I'm quite wary of used/renting :/

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:16 pm

blueberrycrumble wrote:

I really really dislike highlighting in books so I'm quite wary of used/renting :/
im going to buy new through amazon because im addicted to writing in textbooks :( its an expensive addiction

im kind of confused though...i assume we're supposed to have the books before classes start? so that means we should prob get on it asap?

blueberrycrumble

Bronze

Post by blueberrycrumble » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:31 pm

foxes wrote:
blueberrycrumble wrote:

im going to buy new through amazon because im addicted to writing in textbooks :( its an expensive addiction

im kind of confused though...i assume we're supposed to have the books before classes start? so that means we should prob get on it asap?
I think it's slightly flexible? I only have one syllabus so far but the first reading is from supplemental course materials which gives an extra week to go buy textbooks. Also, if you buy through amazon, prime is free for students and 2 business day shipping.

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:34 pm

blueberrycrumble wrote:
foxes wrote:
blueberrycrumble wrote:

I think it's slightly flexible? I only have one syllabus so far but the first reading is from supplemental course materials which gives an extra week to go buy textbooks. Also, if you buy through amazon, prime is free for students and 2 business day shipping.
:shock: is there somewhere we can view syllabi already? yeah ive got prime, im just a little anxious i think :oops:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:47 pm

You definitely want casebooks before the first day of class.

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:50 pm

TripTrip wrote:You definitely want casebooks before the first day of class.
yikes ty, will just go ahead and grab them then

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:34 pm

Think we need them before orientation? Can I have them shipped to Gropius, or should I send them home and bring them with?

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:43 pm

$470 Amazon shopping cart and that's just the 4 basic casebooks

Damn

I think I'll wait till Monday...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:25 pm

leslieknope wrote:
Think we need them before orientation? Can I have them shipped to Gropius, or should I send them home and bring them with?
You don't need them before orientation, just before class. Shipping them to HLS is just fine.

You'll probably have a reading assignment for the first day of every class, and it will probably be ~50 pages per class, and it will suck because you won't understand any of it. Then half of your professors will cold call on the first day and you won't have a clue what to say, just like everybody else.

You'll be fine, though, this isn't meant to discourage anyone. Just be aware that unlike undergrad, the first day of law school is generally a real class. ABA rules forbid just handing out the syllabus and briefly discussing what the class will be about on the first day, so professors have to dive into substance and expect you to be prepared to answer questions from day one.

This is also why I provide outlines before classes start.

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:30 pm

TripTrip wrote:
leslieknope wrote:
You don't need them before orientation, just before class. Shipping them to HLS is just fine.

You'll probably have a reading assignment for the first day of every class, and it will probably be ~50 pages per class, and it will suck because you won't understand any of it. Then half of your professors will cold call on the first day and you won't have a clue what to say, just like everybody else.

You'll be fine, though, this isn't meant to discourage anyone. Just be aware that unlike undergrad, the first day of law school is generally a real class. ABA rules forbid just handing out the syllabus and briefly discussing what the class will be about on the first day, so professors have to dive into substance and expect you to be prepared to answer questions from day one.

where would profs generally let us know about reading assignment/syllabi before the first day? helios?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:38 pm

foxes wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
leslieknope wrote:

where would profs generally let us know about reading assignment/syllabi before the first day? helios?
That should be on Canvas: http://canvas.harvard.edu/

Side note, Canvas is brand new, and is the worst system to try to find, ever, because all of the search results are not for what you're looking for and the MyHLS redirect link is broken. I don't think that part was thought out.

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:45 pm

TripTrip wrote:That should be on Canvas: http://canvas.harvard.edu/

Side note, Canvas is brand new, and is the worst system to try to find, ever, because all of the search results are not for what you're looking for and the MyHLS redirect link is broken. I don't think that part was thought out.
yeah it took me an embarrassing amount of time to figure canvas out the first time :oops: looks like nothing much is up yet

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:03 pm

foxes wrote:
TripTrip wrote:That should be on Canvas: http://canvas.harvard.edu/

yeah it took me an embarrassing amount of time to figure canvas out the first time :oops: looks like nothing much is up yet
No worries. Professors and assistants are still figuring it out. This is the first term they have been required to use it.

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:08 pm

Any chance books change between now and class starting? Was gonna go ahead and get mine, but don't want to get shafted. (This is something my undergrad profs would do sometimes).

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:14 pm

mujiali wrote:Any chance books change between now and class starting? Was gonna go ahead and get mine, but don't want to get shafted. (This is something my undergrad profs would do sometimes).
I've never heard of that happening. A lot of these professors have used the same book for years (esp. Torts and Property). For Civ Pro it's usually the same casebook but the newer edition since the rules are constantly changing. (Or a course packet from the professors who actually care about students.)

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:50 pm

TripTrip wrote:
mujiali wrote:Any chance books change between now and class starting? Was gonna go ahead and get mine, but don't want to get shafted. (This is something my undergrad profs would do sometimes).
I've never heard of that happening. A lot of these professors have used the same book for years (esp. Torts and Property). For Civ Pro it's usually the same casebook but the newer edition since the rules are constantly changing. (Or a course packet from the professors who actually care about students.)
Thanks, I went ahead and bought mine. On the same subject, it odd that one of my professors (Donahue) has no required book, just two recommended ones?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

foxes

Bronze

Post by foxes » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:30 pm

TripTrip wrote:
dont have a casebook posted for civpro, crossing my fingers i get a course packet

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:09 am

foxes wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
dont have a casebook posted for civpro, crossing my fingers i get a course packet
Professors Hubbard and Cohen will provide course packets. Cohen always does and I emailed Hubbard before I listed him without any.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:10 am

mujiali wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
Thanks, I went ahead and bought mine. On the same subject, it odd that one of my professors (Donahue) has no required book, just two recommended ones?
Hmm, I'm not sure about that one. Once you get the syllabus let me know if he meant to list one as required and I'll update the listing.

romanesque

New

Post by romanesque » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:10 am

section 1 - any idea what/where the "attached form" prof stilt mentions in the welcome letter is? also, we haven't gotten any emails from profs about courses/books etc., right?

edit: also, is anyone else nervous that we only have reviews/outlines/exams from 1 class? :cry: :|

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”