Harvard Law School Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where are you in the decision process?

I'll be at HLS next fall!
65%
Still waiting to hear from another school....
3%
Still waiting to hear about financial aid :(
6%
Absolutely unsure
6%
Already withdrew from HLS
20%

Total votes: 143

cecily2015

New

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Post by cecily2015 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:52 pm

TripTrip wrote:
foxes wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
mujiali wrote:Any chance books change between now and class starting? Was gonna go ahead and get mine, but don't want to get shafted. (This is something my undergrad profs would do sometimes).
I've never heard of that happening. A lot of these professors have used the same book for years (esp. Torts and Property). For Civ Pro it's usually the same casebook but the newer edition since the rules are constantly changing. (Or a course packet from the professors who actually care about students.)
dont have a casebook posted for civpro, crossing my fingers i get a course packet
Professors Hubbard and Cohen will provide course packets. Cohen always does and I emailed Hubbard before I listed him without any.
does that mean you don't need to purchase any books or Cohen's course? Or you still need to buy the required one? Also great many thanks for the work on Dope!!

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:17 pm

cecily2015 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
foxes wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
mujiali wrote:Any chance books change between now and class starting? Was gonna go ahead and get mine, but don't want to get shafted. (This is something my undergrad profs would do sometimes).
I've never heard of that happening. A lot of these professors have used the same book for years (esp. Torts and Property). For Civ Pro it's usually the same casebook but the newer edition since the rules are constantly changing. (Or a course packet from the professors who actually care about students.)
dont have a casebook posted for civpro, crossing my fingers i get a course packet
Professors Hubbard and Cohen will provide course packets. Cohen always does and I emailed Hubbard before I listed him without any.
does that mean you don't need to purchase any books or Cohen's course? Or you still need to buy the required one? Also great many thanks for the work on Dope!!
Ah, it looks life Prof. Cohen is changing it up this year. The book listed on Dope is the one he seems to be requiring.

Weird.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:06 pm

omg in Section 1's Civ Pro class 25% of your grade is "quality of cold calls"

:(

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:26 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:omg in Section 1's Civ Pro class 25% of your grade is "quality of cold calls"

I would be very surprised if that ended up being the case. HLS profs aren't supposed to grade class participation in 1L courses.
Last edited by TripTrip on Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

LawBron James

Bronze

Post by LawBron James » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:25 am

ChemEng1642 wrote:omg in Section 1's Civ Pro class 25% of your grade is "quality of cold calls"

Man, reading through that Syllabus is throwing me off. It's knocked into your head here that all that matters is the exams; I didn't expect all these extra assignments.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Kobaine51

Bronze

Post by Kobaine51 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:33 am

LawBron James wrote:

Man, reading through that Syllabus is throwing me off. It's knocked into your head here that all that matters is the exams; I didn't expect all these extra assignments.
For real, I was not prepared for the exam to only be 50% of the grade. Kinda freakin me out.

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:28 am

LawBron James wrote:

Oh yeah this too :(

blueberrycrumble

Bronze

Post by blueberrycrumble » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:36 am

Kobaine51 wrote:
LawBron James wrote:

For real, I was not prepared for the exam to only be 50% of the grade. Kinda freakin me out.
What kind of extra assignments do you have?
My section still only has 1 syllabus........

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:37 am

Speaking of grades, the only syllabus I have up doesn't mention any kind of grading system whatsoever. Is that common?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

S.Lee2018

New

Post by S.Lee2018 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:47 am

TripTrip wrote:

I would be very surprised if that ended up being the case. HLS profs aren't supposed to grade class participation in 1L courses.
Hooray! Otherwise we have a lot more things to worry as the final only accounts for 50% of the grade (what?!) ...

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:07 am

radio1nowhere wrote:Speaking of grades, the only syllabus I have up doesn't mention any kind of grading system whatsoever. Is that common?
Yes, because by default in 1L courses the exam is 100% of the grade.

crazyhazy

Bronze

Post by crazyhazy » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:52 pm

Just got to Boston and want to move into my aptttttt..... where are people staying in the interim? The Motel 6 last night was killer.

Hat Trick

New

Post by Hat Trick » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:22 pm

What's the deal with Cable TV in the dormitories? Today's e-mail with move-in instructions implied that we have to contact Comcast ourselves to set it up. Does anybody know how much it costs? Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

snoopdogg

New

Post by snoopdogg » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:08 pm

Hey ya'll -- 2L here, just wanted to spread the word about a barbecue that the Democrats Club is hosting on labor day.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1004887782889954/

We'd love to see some 1Ls there if you're interested in getting involved this year!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:22 pm

snoopdogg wrote:Hey ya'll -- 2L here, just wanted to spread the word about a barbecue that the Democrats Club is hosting on labor day.

We'd love to see some 1Ls there if you're interested in getting involved this year!
Are Bernie shirts required for entry

thequeen

New

Post by thequeen » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:30 am

Hey everyone, joining in after just being accepted from the waitlist. Super stoked about coming to Harvard even though it's so late in the game haha.

Worried about securing housing. I definitely want something within a 15 minute walk of HLS, but that's about my only requirement - pretty flexible. Is anyone looking for a suitemate/apartmentmate? Definitely PM me!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:40 am

thequeen wrote:Hey everyone, joining in after just being accepted from the waitlist. Super stoked about coming to Harvard even though it's so late in the game haha.

Worried about securing housing. I definitely want something within a 15 minute walk of HLS, but that's about my only requirement - pretty flexible. Is anyone looking for a suitemate/apartmentmate? Definitely PM me!
Look on the Facebook page (as well as Harvard housing fb page) and craigslist

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:01 pm

thequeen wrote:Hey everyone, joining in after just being accepted from the waitlist. Super stoked about coming to Harvard even though it's so late in the game haha.

What Mack said. Also congrats and welcome! Section?

MnM22

Bronze

Post by MnM22 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:08 pm

Congratulations on admission, everyone!

Law school can be intimidating –-especially if you come from a low-income background, are a first-generation college graduate, or have a disability. Supero Law Students Association is hosting a New L Orientation to help students from these backgrounds succeed in law school. The Orientation is open to everyone, but we would really like students from these backgrounds to come. There will be ice cream!

RSVP here: http://[link redacted]/forms/DKWVDdHM1F

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:26 am

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
snoopdogg wrote:Hey ya'll -- 2L here, just wanted to spread the word about a barbecue that the Democrats Club is hosting on labor day.

Are Bernie shirts required for entry
i'll be there in my feel the bern v neck

S.Lee2018

New

Post by S.Lee2018 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:22 pm

TripTrip wrote:

May I know where this rule locates? I glanced over the Handbook of Academic Policies, but didn't find anything like this.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:08 pm

How did I miss this lmao is this true

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:25 pm

S.Lee2018 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:

May I know where this rule locates? I glanced over the Handbook of Academic Policies, but didn't find anything like this.
It would be nice if these types of rules were documented publicly. The best we have are private conversations with professors who divulged the types of standards they are held to.

We know there is a recommended curve for classes over 30 students (this means LPs) and that this curve is more strictly enforced during 1L. We also know that professors giving an exam generally must engage in blind grading, which is why you have a unique exam ID every term and are specifically disallowed from indicating on your exam who you are. There are exceptions to blind grading, most obviously when you write a paper for a class instead of taking an exam.

In classes over 60 students (even in 2L and 3L) professors don't grade participation because, quite simply, how the hell do you keep track of the participation of that many students? You can read about how this was a big issue five years ago. General consensus is they've clamped down on participation grading a bit since that fiasco. But, as mentioned above, we don't know for sure.

A lot of visiting professors for 1L classes like to say they grade participation to frighten students into participating. It's a common visiting theme. But you probably don't have any tenured professors telling students they grade cold calls when they don't because they're figured out it's just a mean thing to do. (And lying to students isn't a good way to establish credibility.)

In other words, I have nothing to reference. It's just conventional understanding. It could be wrong. It probably shouldn't affect how you prepare for class either way.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:33 pm

TripTrip wrote:[
Do you know what percentage of of the class in 1L courses gets an LP?

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:35 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
TripTrip wrote:[
Do you know what percentage of of the class in 1L courses gets an LP?
Between 0% and 8%.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”