Harvard Law School Class of 2018 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

Where are you in the decision process?

I'll be at HLS next fall!
65%
Still waiting to hear from another school....
3%
Still waiting to hear about financial aid :(
6%
Absolutely unsure
6%
Already withdrew from HLS
20%

Total votes: 143

mustapha_mond

New

Re: Harvard Law School Class of 2018

Post by mustapha_mond » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:11 am

Hey all! Checking in with quick question.

Can someone who has gone through the financial aid application PM me with what kind of documents were required? Is it largely the same info as the need access form?

I'm still waiting on my jd.harvard email, but I'd like to be ready to jump on the financial aid application asap.

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:37 am

mustapha_mond wrote:Hey all! Checking in with quick question.

Can someone who has gone through the financial aid application PM me with what kind of documents were required? Is it largely the same info as the need access form?

I'm still waiting on my jd.harvard email, but I'd like to be ready to jump on the financial aid application asap.
+1 would love the same as well.

psychmusic

Bronze

Post by psychmusic » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:52 pm

Last edited by psychmusic on Fri May 01, 2015 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

foles

Bronze

Post by foles » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:57 pm

Last edited by foles on Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

radio1nowhere

Bronze

Post by radio1nowhere » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:07 pm

foles wrote:
Pretty much ^^ but detailed list is:

Parent Financial Resources Web Form
Parent 2014 W2 Documentation
Parent 2014 1040 Signed w/Schedules
HLS Main Online Institutional App.(NP)
Free App for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
Student Financial Resources Web Form
Ethical Responsibility Web Form
The web forms can be accessed here: http://hls.harvard.edu/dept/sfs/financi ... aid-forms/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RedColossus

New

Post by RedColossus » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:08 pm

Apologize if this has been asked, but when do you guys think the best time to fly in for the April ASW is? I only ask because I haven't received anything on it yet and don't have login credentials yet so haven't seen a schedule. I'd like to buy airfare soon-ish. Do events start on that Friday afternoon? Thanks!

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:10 pm

RedColossus wrote:Apologize if this has been asked, but when do you guys think the best time to fly in for the April ASW is? I only ask because I haven't received anything on it yet and don't have login credentials yet so haven't seen a schedule. I'd like to buy airfare soon-ish. Do events start on that Friday afternoon? Thanks!
For the March one the first thing started at 2 pm and that was just campus and housing tours (which I thought were important to go to but not required). First actual event was at 4:30 I believe.

lashley

New

Post by lashley » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:12 pm

ChemEng1642 wrote:
RedColossus wrote:Apologize if this has been asked, but when do you guys think the best time to fly in for the April ASW is? I only ask because I haven't received anything on it yet and don't have login credentials yet so haven't seen a schedule. I'd like to buy airfare soon-ish. Do events start on that Friday afternoon? Thanks!
For the March one the first thing started at 2 pm and that was just campus and housing tours (which I thought were important to go to but not required). First actual event was at 4:30 I believe.
But this was on Saturday not Friday, just to be clear. I don't think you need to be there Friday unless you're flying in from really far away.

yot11

Bronze

Post by yot11 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:17 pm

Yeah assuming the schedule for April is the same as March, I flew in Saturday morning, checked into the hotel, and rolled into ASW just in time for the campus and housing tours. Can save you a night at the hotel.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RedColossus

New

Post by RedColossus » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:36 pm

Oh that's great to know guys, that will save me a bunch, hotels in Cambridge are like $400 a night that weekend...
Thinking of staying in Connecticut and chartering a helicopter to and from campus to land on the quad for those prices...

RedColossus

New

Post by RedColossus » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:46 pm

Are there any events Monday, like sitting in on classes or anything like that?

ChemEng1642

Silver

Post by ChemEng1642 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:47 pm

RedColossus wrote:Are there any events Monday, like sitting in on classes or anything like that?
Yep - sitting in on classes, visiting clinics, lunch with faculty, open houses at the financial aid office, etc.

JMcG

New

Post by JMcG » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:50 pm

Has anyone gone through the financial aid appeal process? I feel like they lowballed me with grants, and I'm just wondering what my chances of just slightly increasing grant money are. It would be really nice to search a bit less desperately for sources of outside funding, and I would prefer to keep my kidneys where they are, for the time being.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HorseThief

Silver

Post by HorseThief » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:09 pm

JMcG wrote:Has anyone gone through the financial aid appeal process? I feel like they lowballed me with grants, and I'm just wondering what my chances of just slightly increasing grant money are. It would be really nice to search a bit less desperately for sources of outside funding, and I would prefer to keep my kidneys where they are, for the time being.
I haven't appealed before, but they'll probably just tell you to take out loans. According to their 509 statement, half of the school doesn't get any grant money, and those individuals either have helpful parents, reserve funds, or are financing the entirety of HLS with loans. I'd imagine most are going the loan route. It's totally possible, so I don't know how sympathetic they'll be.

yot11

Bronze

Post by yot11 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:26 pm

JMcG wrote:Has anyone gone through the financial aid appeal process? I feel like they lowballed me with grants, and I'm just wondering what my chances of just slightly increasing grant money are. It would be really nice to search a bit less desperately for sources of outside funding, and I would prefer to keep my kidneys where they are, for the time being.
I've read somewhere that all they will do in the appeal process is double check to see if their formula was applied correctly (ie no clerical errors). I don't think they will reconsider on any other grounds.

yomisterd

Gold

Post by yomisterd » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:29 pm

RedColossus wrote:Oh that's great to know guys, that will save me a bunch, hotels in Cambridge are like $400 a night that weekend...
Thinking of staying in Connecticut and chartering a helicopter to and from campus to land on the quad for those prices...
I'd recommend trying to find an AirBnB for the weekend if you are comfortable with that. It will save you a ton.

Nonconsecutive

Gold

Post by Nonconsecutive » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:57 pm

As someone who successfully appealed for more money, I will say that unless something MAJOR has changed since you sent in your information (e.g. you had a child you didn't report, or there was a sudden large reduction in your assets (and by large I mean large) OR you have sizeably more money ($2,000+) from Yale or Stanford (period, no other school will matter) then I would not waste your time.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

leslieknope

Silver

Post by leslieknope » Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:44 pm

Just got my @harvard email address! Brb emailing everyone I know.

hillz

Silver

Post by hillz » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:07 pm

leslieknope wrote:Just got my @harvard email address! Brb emailing everyone I know.
LOL. I definitely emailed my family members.
Last edited by hillz on Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:16 pm

Was there a time gap between getting the hls email account and being able to activate on Financial Aid? I'm getting an error message telling me to contact finaid, and I'm not sure if I should wait or just call.

ETA:
Just in case anyone was wondering, I called and they told me I was a little too quick to try and get on the system... emails will go out in a few business days saying when new admits can apply for finaid.

whosinthehousejc

Bronze

Post by whosinthehousejc » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:48 pm

mujiali wrote:Was there a time gap between getting the hls email account and being able to activate on Financial Aid? I'm getting an error message telling me to contact finaid, and I'm not sure if I should wait or just call.

ETA:
Just in case anyone was wondering, I called and they told me I was a little too quick to try and get on the system... emails will go out in a few business days saying when new admits can apply for finaid.
So are y'all unable to access the entire Admitted Students portal w/ your new HLS email IDs, or just the finaid section? I can't get into either.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:52 pm

whosinthehousejc wrote:
mujiali wrote:Was there a time gap between getting the hls email account and being able to activate on Financial Aid? I'm getting an error message telling me to contact finaid, and I'm not sure if I should wait or just call.

ETA:
So are y'all unable to access the entire Admitted Students portal w/ your new HLS email IDs, or just the finaid section? I can't get into either.
I got into everything except the finaid section. For the non finaid stuff, you need to set up your email using the "Claim Me" info in the email that was sent to you.

whosinthehousejc

Bronze

Post by whosinthehousejc » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:17 pm

mujiali wrote:
whosinthehousejc wrote:

ETA:
I got into everything except the finaid section. For the non finaid stuff, you need to set up your email using the "Claim Me" info in the email that was sent to you.
So, jharvard@jd18.law.harvard.edu + same PW as the harvard/google email account, or does the AS portal use the HUID?

Indifference

Silver

Post by Indifference » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:40 pm

whosinthehousejc wrote:
mujiali wrote:
whosinthehousejc wrote:

ETA:
So, jharvard@jd18.law.harvard.edu + same PW as the harvard/google email account, or does the AS portal use the HUID?
The former, yes.

psychmusic

Bronze

Post by psychmusic » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:42 pm

Last edited by psychmusic on Fri May 01, 2015 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”