Georgetown Law Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

What section are you?

1 (Curriculum A)
23%
2 (Curriculum A)
19%
3 (Curriculum B)
11%
4 (Curriculum A)
28%
5 (Curriculum A)
17%
7 (PT Program)
2%

Total votes: 47

BrazilBandit

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby BrazilBandit » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:05 am

has anyone in the 2nd round of feeler email heard back yet? it is finally "around March 23rd"...

accessislife

Postby accessislife » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:07 am

gilessanderson wrote:Looking forward to meeting yall later this week! Currently at uva trying to (I'm sure unsuccessfully) charm my way off the WL

why do you like UVA > Georgetown?

accessislife

Postby accessislife » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:08 am

kimaginary4s wrote:
accessislife wrote:Is everyone Facebook friends already?

No one found me yet... :|

I think I did - are you from Conn before Boston?

franny90

Postby franny90 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:11 am

BrazilBandit wrote:has anyone in the 2nd round of feeler email heard back yet? it is finally "around March 23rd"...

nope - getting very antsy, and with ASW taking up focus the rest of this week I'm really hoping we hear today

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:20 am

BrazilBandit wrote:has anyone in the 2nd round of feeler email heard back yet? it is finally "around March 23rd"...

Nothing here yet either, hopefully soon though . . .

commandercup

Postby commandercup » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:31 am

Weird, I assumed (even though I solicited the feeler a bit late) that all the scholarship decisions would be done in giant waves. My email says "early April."

accessislife wrote:
gilessanderson wrote:Looking forward to meeting yall later this week! Currently at uva trying to (I'm sure unsuccessfully) charm my way off the WL

I'm not the OP, but I would assume the biggest thing is: http://www.lstscorereports.com/compare/uva/gulc/. Then again, Jimmy McGill (a.k.a. Saul Goodman) did namedrop GULC in the latest episode of BCS--hurrah for lay prestige!

navykev

Postby navykev » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:55 am

commandercup wrote: Then again, Jimmy McGill (a.k.a. Saul Goodman) did namedrop GULC in the latest episode of BCS--hurrah for lay prestige!

Funny - I live in Virginia Beach and my landlord owns a rental in Charlottesville - when he found out I was applying to law school he said "oh I'll give you a deal on rent if you go to UVA". When I told him a little later I got into Georgetown he was like "well shoot, I guess you won't even consider UVA now!" He and his wife are doctors that went to UVA and even they think Georgetown Law is more prestigious. Thought that was hilarious. Guess we can thank BCS, The Good Wife and Scandal for all the lay prestige.

Although, on another "lay prestige" note, my friends and family think I am crazy for choosing GULC over WashU. WashU is like Harvard to us St. Louis natives!
Last edited by navykev on Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

betty_bojangles

Postby betty_bojangles » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:56 am

commandercup wrote:

Weird, I assumed (even though I solicited the feeler a bit late) that all the scholarship decisions would be done in giant waves. My email says "early April."

Mine also says "early April" meh.

accessislife

Postby accessislife » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:59 am

soo all of you would go UVA over GULC?

ETA: I was admitted to UVA, went to ASW and went running for the hills (or GULC)

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:02 am

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

navykev

Postby navykev » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:05 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
accessislife wrote:soo all of you would go UVA over GULC?

Only if I was gunning for a school funded job

[/sarcasm]

Both are pretty guilty of that crime :)

navykev

Postby navykev » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:12 am

ETA: I was admitted to UVA, went to ASW and went running for the hills (or GULC)

I ED'd to GULC so I have no dog in this fight but from a veteran perspective UVA is a better deal. Vets get a 75% scholly to GULC -- UVA is completely free. Hindsight being 20/20 - I would not have ED'd and used that info to get GULC to pitch in the remaining 25% (or at least some of it). For personal reasons - all things being equal - I would choose GULC over UVA but my situation is pretty unique.
Last edited by navykev on Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:15 am, edited 4 times in total.

commandercup

Postby commandercup » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:13 am

navykev wrote:Funny - I live in Virginia Beach and my landlord owns a rental in Charlottesville - when he found out I was applying to law school he said "oh I'll give you a deal on rent if you go to UVA". When I told him a little later I got into Georgetown he was like "well shoot, I guess you won't even consider UVA now!" He and his wife are doctors that went to UVA and even they think Georgetown Law is more prestigious. Thought that was hilarious. Guess we can thank BCS, The Good Wife and Scandal for all the lay prestige.

Although, on another "lay prestige" note, my friends and family think I am crazy for choosing GULC over WashU. WashU is like Harvard to us St. Louis natives!

Haha! :mrgreen:

I'm down to UVA, GULC, and Cornell barring any WL shenanigans. I think I'd prefer being in DC and going to GULC, but it's hard to look past the big gap in numbers (self-selection or not). What did you hate so much about UVA?

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:35 am

From what I've seen on TLS, UVa beat GULC in DC.

At equal cost, unless you have a family and are tied down to DC. There really isn't a good reason for GULC. However law school is an investment so factor in some $$$ and that shakes things up

Dipper

Postby Dipper » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:41 am

accessislife wrote:ETA: I was admitted to UVA, went to ASW and went running for the hills (or GULC)

+100

UVA culture just isn't for me. Understandably, much depends on your interests and goals -- I think GULC's public interest community/curriculum beats UVA's by a mile, but if you want big law obviously that means nil. UVA's clerkship numbers are sweet though.

ETA:
commandercup wrote:What did you hate so much about UVA?

Not OP, but the frat-y culture, that people seem to be on the younger side (I'm 5 years out of undergrad), and being in a tiny town where the only social options are bars and pregame. It would also probably be quite a culture shock coming from my weird ass SF life. D.C. probably will be too, admittedly, but what can you do.
Last edited by Dipper on Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

navykev

Postby navykev » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:54 am

canadianbrother wrote:From what I've seen on TLS, UVa beat GULC in DC.

Numbers don't really bear that out - UVA puts about 20% in DC and GULC about 40%. GULC puts well over 200 folks in DC a year - that's almost an entire class at most law schools. The TLS "UVA beats GULC in DC" argument is probably more like "anyone from UVA that wants to go to DC can" but I don't think that's any different for a GULC grad. But Im just a 0L what the hell do I know!

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:59 am

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

navykev

Postby navykev » Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:00 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
I think the problem here is that GULC grads staying in DC doesn't mean GULC grads in Big Law in DC, if you prefer DC > any other option GULC makes more sense, but if your deciding factor is Big Law then its UVA

I can agree with that for sure.

accessislife

Postby accessislife » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:13 pm

commandercup wrote:I'm down to UVA, GULC, and Cornell barring any WL shenanigans. I think I'd prefer being in DC and going to GULC, but it's hard to look past the big gap in numbers (self-selection or not). What did you hate so much about UVA?

I wouldn't say that I hated it - I would say it wasn't for me. It's fairly young, I think a lot of people there are figuring out what they want out of law while at GULC a greater number have an idea coming in, have worked maybe etc. I'm older as well - many years out of ugrad- and having opportunities off campus during the year is very important to me, especially in public interest. In that way, DC can't be beat. I also think its really important to remember that % are great, but GULC is working with a huge class. Sure. UVA places 13% in Fed Clerkships (45 students) but in sheer numbers GULC, with its 5% is comparable (32 students). TLS had be second guessing GULC quite a bit through this process, though prior to joining this site and when I first thought of law school I was pretty enamored with GULC for a few reasons - their certificates, public interest mentorship program etc

This isn't my first grad school rodeo, and I think what I've learned is that fit is super important. Not 100% on GULC yet, but getting there.

gilessanderson

Postby gilessanderson » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:22 pm

accessislife wrote:

Wow glad to see I sparked the uva/gulc debate! Honestly, it comes down to job placement. From my research uva tops gulc in DC, and also has more national reach. That being said, while I do like the uva atmosphere I would much rather be in dc. However they're my top 2 choices and I'll be thrilled to be at gulc, which I'm guessing will be the case.

Also, not that it's a deciding factor, but the lay prestige is real! I tell my friends in California that I'm visiting UVA to try to get off the WL and they look at me like I'm crazy and remind me that I was accepted at Georgetown.

CaptainJapan

Postby CaptainJapan » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:32 pm

gilessanderson wrote:Also, not that it's a deciding factor, but the lay prestige is real! I tell my friends in California that I'm visiting UVA to try to get off the WL and they look at me like I'm crazy and remind me that I was accepted at Georgetown.

So true, dropping the Gtown name to non-TLS contributors feels pretty good no matter where you are in the country.

kray

Postby kray » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:35 pm

CaptainJapan wrote:
gilessanderson wrote:Also, not that it's a deciding factor, but the lay prestige is real! I tell my friends in California that I'm visiting UVA to try to get off the WL and they look at me like I'm crazy and remind me that I was accepted at Georgetown.

So true, dropping the Gtown name to non-TLS contributors feels pretty good no matter where you are in the country.

I live in DC, and had multiple people at a bar the other night trying to convince me that GULC is #1 law school nationally.

commandercup

Postby commandercup » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:44 pm

accessislife wrote:This isn't my first grad school rodeo, and I think what I've learned is that fit is super important. Not 100% on GULC yet, but getting there.

Somehow I've never seen this sentiment on TLS. I usually see: "doesn't matter where you go as long as you do well." Thanks for the perspective though, it throws yet another wrench into my decision. :|

navykev

Postby navykev » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:57 pm

Like I said earlier - my UVA educated physician landlords think GULC is superior to UVA -- and I live in Virginia!

Only Harvard has GULC on lay prestige - shouldn't factor in a law school decision though under any circumstance!

commandercup

Postby commandercup » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:07 pm

navykev wrote:

Like I said earlier - my UVA educated physician landlords think GULC is superior to UVA -- and I live in Virginia!

Only Harvard has GULC on lay prestige - shouldn't factor in a law school decision though under any circumstance!

I found it really weird that the lay prestige thread that popped up a week ago was almost completely devoid of GULC. I've always heard that GULC is the king of lay prestige after Harvard. One GULC alum I spoke to pointed out that it's useful when you're interviewing with someone who isn't a lawyer although I doubt it's worth very much regardless.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”