Georgetown Law Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

What section are you?

1 (Curriculum A)
23%
2 (Curriculum A)
19%
3 (Curriculum B)
11%
4 (Curriculum A)
28%
5 (Curriculum A)
17%
7 (PT Program)
2%

Total votes: 47

buckiguy_sucks

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:40 am

Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gilessanderson

Postby gilessanderson » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:04 pm

tuxedocat wrote:Checking in! Who's going to be at ASW next week (eek)?

Glad to see there's finally a Facebook group. I wonder how many people accidentally joined the class of 2017 group after clicking the link on the website.

Yep will be there thursday and friday!

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:40 pm

reserved an apt!! visiting the building next week! Can't wait to move.

ETA: If you're for sure going to GULC, let me know and I'll add your name to the list in the TLS Class of 2018: Destinations Thread

commandercup

Postby commandercup » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:49 pm

For those of you who have decided on GULC, what sealed the decision for you? I really like Georgetown, but it's hard for me to look past the common TLS reasons for opting for any other T14 (biglaw+fed numbers, huge class size etc.). I'll end up making a "Choosing a Law School" thread once I've gotten all my $$ in, but I figured I'd ask some people who are more open about GULC (as opposed to the folks firmly in the GeorgeTTTown camp).

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:53 pm

commandercup wrote:For those of you who have decided on GULC, what sealed the decision for you? I really like Georgetown, but it's hard for me to look past the common TLS reasons for opting for any other T14 (biglaw+fed numbers, huge class size etc.). I'll end up making a "Choosing a Law School" thread once I've gotten all my $$ in, but I figured I'd ask some people who are more open about GULC (as opposed to the folks firmly in the GeorgeTTTown camp).

TBH, the answer for me is family in DC and spouse has a job lined up.

xtgg5020

Postby xtgg5020 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:10 pm

For those of you who already joined the FB group, did you need to prove your identity or show you are going to attend Georgetown? My status is always "pending"...

gilessanderson

Postby gilessanderson » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:14 pm

commandercup wrote:For those of you who have decided on GULC, what sealed the decision for you? I really like Georgetown, but it's hard for me to look past the common TLS reasons for opting for any other T14 (biglaw+fed numbers, huge class size etc.). I'll end up making a "Choosing a Law School" thread once I've gotten all my $$ in, but I figured I'd ask some people who are more open about GULC (as opposed to the folks firmly in the GeorgeTTTown camp).

I haven't 100% decided yet on GULC (still waiting on $$/a few schools) but for me it's a combination of best school I've gotten into so far (highest biglaw+fed numbers), lived/worked in DC for a summer and loved it, and greatly reduced sticker $ due to family help. I think it really depends on your other options/goals/financial situation.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:21 pm

xtgg5020 wrote:For those of you who already joined the FB group, did you need to prove your identity or show you are going to attend Georgetown? My status is always "pending"...

+1 ...also, where did the facebook group even come from? I mean other than this thread. It's still Entering 2014 that's linked from the ASW.

navykev

Postby navykev » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:31 pm

I did a lot of research on folks that retired from the military and went to law school (my situation). I reached out to a bunch of them - many went to Georgetown (seems to be a popular choice for retired military folks). After researching employment opportunities for people with similar backgrounds ---Georgetown made the most sense for me. I think that's probably the most important thing - look at your own particular circumstance and figure out what the best fit for you is. Mine just happened to be Georgetown.

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:30 pm

Guys, NEGOTIATE, NEGOTIATE, NEGOTIATE. Even if your not in a position to negotiate, just ask for more.

1. They already accepted you and they cant take back their offer.
2. They already offered you your current scholly offer, and they cant take that back.
3. Dont worry about hurting anyones feelings, its a numbers game and they just want your numbers.
4. Even if you have your heart set on GULC, and even if you already received $$$, ask for more, every dollar goes a long way when its time to pay back those loans.
5. Even if you have your heart set on another school, try and get the most out of every school and try to leverage dat dere $$$

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:37 pm

According to LST, GULC did about 22% worse than Cornell. I doubt that is because firms are willing to take below median kids from Cornell while not taking median kids from GULC.

I think it has to do more with people self selecting out of big law and into public interest, people in the PT may have other jobs lined up, Georgetown take alot of transfers which might make numbers look worse than they are for people who do 1L at Georgetown, Georgetown students may waste more bids in DC. I think a GULC and Cornell student with similar grades/backgrounds/interviewing ability would perform similarly at OCI.

ajkim90

Postby ajkim90 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:01 pm

Hey guys - - I'll be starting at GULC in the fall.

I just got a 2 BR 1 BA place in DC - - looking for a roommate to take the 2nd bedroom (smaller of the 2). Lease starts April 1 and rent is $650/month, not including utilities. About an 8 minute bike ride or 10 minute bus ride to GULC. Respond to the CL post if you're interested!

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/ ... 48803.html

commandercup

Postby commandercup » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:31 pm

canadianbrother wrote:

According to LST, GULC did about 22% worse than Cornell. I doubt that is because firms are willing to take below median kids from Cornell while not taking median kids from GULC.

I think it has to do more with people self selecting out of big law and into public interest, people in the PT may have other jobs lined up, Georgetown take alot of transfers which might make numbers look worse than they are for people who do 1L at Georgetown, Georgetown students may waste more bids in DC. I think a GULC and Cornell student with similar grades/backgrounds/interviewing ability would perform similarly at OCI.

Yeah I've heard the self-selection explanation and I guess what you're saying could be a plausible explanation as well.

Thanks everyone for the responses and congrats to all the recent admits! :mrgreen:

kray

Postby kray » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:03 pm

Made it!! :D Accepted yesterday.

I live in DC now, so if anyone has questions about the area/housing/anything feel free to ask! No guarantee on having the answer but I'll try! Congrats everyone!

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:05 pm

kray wrote:Made it!! :D Accepted yesterday.

I live in DC now, so if anyone has questions about the area/housing/anything feel free to ask! No guarantee on having the answer but I'll try! Congrats everyone!

Alright I was wondering about this yesterday - how does the metro system work in terms of cost? In every city I've lived in, you can get an unlimited subway+bus pass for a flat monthly rate. As far as I can tell, that doesn't exist in DC. How much can one expect to spend per month if they use the subway at least twice a day?

swazzy

Postby swazzy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:24 pm

Gray wrote:

Alright I was wondering about this yesterday - how does the metro system work in terms of cost? In every city I've lived in, you can get an unlimited subway+bus pass for a flat monthly rate. As far as I can tell, that doesn't exist in DC. How much can one expect to spend per month if they use the subway at least twice a day?

I also live in DC. I probably use ~$85-90 a month to get to and from work on the metro.

kray

Postby kray » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:28 pm

Gray wrote:

I rarely take rail, but I commute via bus and it's $1.75 one-way, so I spend about $80/month if I take the bus both ways each day. Rail has surge pricing for typical commute times and yup, no monthly pass.

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:29 pm

Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swazzy

Postby swazzy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:31 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:Some schools do a free public transport pass to students, any chance GULC does?

I don't think they do that for the metro, but they have their own shuttles.

http://otm.georgetown.edu/guts/index.cfm?fuse=law

buckiguy_sucks

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:37 pm

Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swazzy

Postby swazzy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:08 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
swazzy wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:Some schools do a free public transport pass to students, any chance GULC does?

I don't think they do that for the metro, but they have their own shuttles.

http://otm.georgetown.edu/guts/index.cfm?fuse=law

looks like that just runs between the UG campus and the law school. There's a 0% chance of me living in Georgetown isn't that the most expensive neighborhood in DC?

It ain't cheap.

DrSpaceman

Postby DrSpaceman » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:55 pm

Have people been getting need-based grant packages yet? I submitted a little over 3 weeks ago, and am getting worried that I've inadvertently forgotten some document or something that they need, but I don't want to harass them about it and seem like a weirdo.

Gray

Postby Gray » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:56 pm

DrSpaceman wrote:Have people been getting need-based grant packages yet? I submitted a little over 3 weeks ago, and am getting worried that I've inadvertently forgotten some document or something that they need, but I don't want to harass them about it and seem like a weirdo.

I also submitted 3 weeks ago, nothing yet.

antiworldly

Postby antiworldly » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:01 pm

DrSpaceman wrote:Have people been getting need-based grant packages yet? I submitted a little over 3 weeks ago, and am getting worried that I've inadvertently forgotten some document or something that they need, but I don't want to harass them about it and seem like a weirdo.

Submitted two days after the form went live, but still nothing. . .

brightthru2014

Postby brightthru2014 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:53 pm

Got in about two weeks ago, anyone else going to the Open House in March? Also, any other Blue Devils?

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”