Georgetown Law Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

What section are you?

1 (Curriculum A)
11
23%
2 (Curriculum A)
9
19%
3 (Curriculum B)
5
11%
4 (Curriculum A)
13
28%
5 (Curriculum A)
8
17%
7 (PT Program)
1
2%
 
Total votes: 47

Malta
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 10:13 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Con Law Professors?

Postby Malta » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:49 pm

Gray wrote:
Malta wrote:Question for Section 2 and 4: Who are listed as Con Law professors on your schedule?

Section 2 is Viet Dinh in spring - https://www.law.georgetown.edu/faculty/dinh-viet-d.cfm


Thanks Gray!

Anyone have Randy Barnett as an option for Con Law?

User avatar
kray
Posts: 130
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:54 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby kray » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:39 pm

JTIII wrote:Seriously? Am I not as behind as I thought?


Housing market moves super quick in DC compared to other cities -- most places won't list until 30-60 days out. So if you're looking for a place for Aug 1, I'd recommend being in DC June 30/July1/July2 to do crazy-apartment-hunt. That's just if you're looking for smaller buildings / privately owned places and Craigslist hunting, like I did. For the bigger buildings I think it's more flexible because you can see similar units in advance.

User avatar
JTIII
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 1:41 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby JTIII » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:26 am

Post Removed
Last edited by JTIII on Tue May 24, 2016 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
CaptainJapan
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby CaptainJapan » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:34 pm

So I'm trying to figure out exactly what day to plan on getting to campus in the fall...I know orientation starts Monday, Aug.24th, but does anyone know if Gewirz opens a few days earlier? Would be nice to start moving in a day or two before orientation starts.

edit: dug a little deeper and found the info here if anyone else needs it: http://www.law.georgetown.edu/campus-life/housing-residence-life/on-campus-housing/Move-In-Information.cfm

Picosaurus
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:50 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby Picosaurus » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:54 pm

Post Removed.
Last edited by Picosaurus on Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wowchromosome
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:14 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby wowchromosome » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:53 am

FIN AID question: Do we have to formally accept an award somewhere? The MyAccess page says there should be a button, but then I recall reading in the award email that there was a separate place to accept the award.... Uncertain how to proceed now. Also, does anyone know how work study functions as part of the aid?

gjohnson
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:48 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby gjohnson » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:34 am

It's been a while since I bought textbooks (like pre-Internet era) - what's the best way to go about doing it nowadays? Amazon?

Or is there some wholesaler somewhere that sells them dirt cheap?

supersplittysplitter
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby supersplittysplitter » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:13 pm

wowchromosome wrote:FIN AID question: Do we have to formally accept an award somewhere? The MyAccess page says there should be a button, but then I recall reading in the award email that there was a separate place to accept the award.... Uncertain how to proceed now. Also, does anyone know how work study functions as part of the aid?


somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you fill out the blue application to accept loans?

User avatar
spencermcmanus
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby spencermcmanus » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:25 pm

supersplittysplitter wrote:
wowchromosome wrote:FIN AID question: Do we have to formally accept an award somewhere? The MyAccess page says there should be a button, but then I recall reading in the award email that there was a separate place to accept the award.... Uncertain how to proceed now. Also, does anyone know how work study functions as part of the aid?


somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you fill out the blue application to accept loans?


Yes, fill out the Blue Application after you've done all of the counseling and MPNs on the federal loan site.

Triangle
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:35 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby Triangle » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:05 pm

How important is it to buy the most recent editions of course materials? Older editions are obviously much cheaper, but I wonder if springing for them might just cause confusion down the line...

User avatar
chuckbass
Posts: 9957
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby chuckbass » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:26 pm

Triangle wrote:How important is it to buy the most recent editions of course materials? Older editions are obviously much cheaper, but I wonder if springing for them might just cause confusion down the line...

Def buy the most recent editions for civ pro and con law, otherwise maybe it won't be a big deal. However buying used books and selling them back really isn't that expensive.

User avatar
EzraFitz
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:42 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby EzraFitz » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:29 am

gjohnson wrote:It's been a while since I bought textbooks (like pre-Internet era) - what's the best way to go about doing it nowadays? Amazon?

Or is there some wholesaler somewhere that sells them dirt cheap?

I had a professor swear by bookfinder's textbook isbn search, and it definitely was the cheapest for me every time (even when it pointed to amazon).

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3522
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby Hand » Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:54 pm

Over/under that the offer of renting "a private area we prepared in the livingroom" that is "not technically a room" for $1,200 a month that was posted by the admin in the facebook group is actually a clever ploy to make Gewirz look more attractive to incoming students?

User avatar
CaptainJapan
Posts: 373
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby CaptainJapan » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:15 pm

So we're still waiting for tuition payment info, right? I know it's due on Jul 27th, but I haven't seen anything related to tuition on MyAccess yet. Gray, I'm counting on you to keep me updated.

Malta
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 10:13 pm

FYI-high ranking DC rental market

Postby Malta » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:04 am


User avatar
BmoreOrLess
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby BmoreOrLess » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:01 am

Hand wrote:Over/under that the offer of renting "a private area we prepared in the livingroom" that is "not technically a room" for $1,200 a month that was posted by the admin in the facebook group is actually a clever ploy to make Gewirz look more attractive to incoming students?


A bunch of people actually do this.

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3522
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby Hand » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:13 am

BmoreOrLess wrote:
Hand wrote:Over/under that the offer of renting "a private area we prepared in the livingroom" that is "not technically a room" for $1,200 a month that was posted by the admin in the facebook group is actually a clever ploy to make Gewirz look more attractive to incoming students?

A bunch of people actually do this.

That's depressing. Especially if they pay $1,200 a month for the privilege of renting a not-a-room.

swazzy
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:48 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby swazzy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:54 am

CaptainJapan wrote:So we're still waiting for tuition payment info, right? I know it's due on Jul 27th, but I haven't seen anything related to tuition on MyAccess yet. Gray, I'm counting on you to keep me updated.


I'm assuming loans will auto-disburse to the school then we get the leftovers?

User avatar
BmoreOrLess
Posts: 2083
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby BmoreOrLess » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:03 pm

Hand wrote:
BmoreOrLess wrote:
Hand wrote:Over/under that the offer of renting "a private area we prepared in the livingroom" that is "not technically a room" for $1,200 a month that was posted by the admin in the facebook group is actually a clever ploy to make Gewirz look more attractive to incoming students?

A bunch of people actually do this.

That's depressing. Especially if they pay $1,200 a month for the privilege of renting a not-a-room.


What's depressing is paying like $1500 to live in a dorm room (Gewirz). Gewirz is beneficial for the social aspect, but man is it a rip off.

GULCPerson
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:36 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby GULCPerson » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:31 pm

swazzy wrote:
CaptainJapan wrote:So we're still waiting for tuition payment info, right? I know it's due on Jul 27th, but I haven't seen anything related to tuition on MyAccess yet. Gray, I'm counting on you to keep me updated.


I'm assuming loans will auto-disburse to the school then we get the leftovers?


Yes, but the disbursement to you is not automatic. When the loans show up in the Student Account Services website, you have to "request a refund" or something like that. Keep an eye out.

User avatar
navykev
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:47 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby navykev » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:06 pm

Got a question - so I am looking at my tuition bill and my scholarship isn't deducted from the tuition yet. Is this the norm - or are scholarships showing up as deducted from anyone else's tuition bill?

User avatar
Capitol_Idea
Posts: 10704
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby Capitol_Idea » Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:48 pm

BmoreOrLess wrote:
Hand wrote:Over/under that the offer of renting "a private area we prepared in the livingroom" that is "not technically a room" for $1,200 a month that was posted by the admin in the facebook group is actually a clever ploy to make Gewirz look more attractive to incoming students?


A bunch of people actually do this.
Really?

Hey guys, I have a deal for you: there's a closet in my basement I'm willing to rent for the LOW price of $900 per month. It's small, terrifying, and currently occupied by several dire spiders. But at least it has a door unlike these 'non-room private areas' being advertised.

You have to provide your own spider repellant - non-negotiable.

User avatar
navykev
Posts: 362
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:47 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby navykev » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:25 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Hey guys, I have a deal for you: there's a closet in my basement I'm willing to rent for the LOW price of $900 per month. It's small, terrifying, and currently occupied by several dire spiders. But at least it has a door unlike these 'non-room private areas' being advertised.

You have to provide your own spider repellant - non-negotiable.


Sold!

User avatar
Hand
Posts: 3522
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby Hand » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:57 pm

navykev wrote:Got a question - so I am looking at my tuition bill and my scholarship isn't deducted from the tuition yet. Is this the norm - or are scholarships showing up as deducted from anyone else's tuition bill?

Same problem here

User avatar
motoman92
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:28 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018 - Section Assignments now on ASW

Postby motoman92 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:27 pm

Hand wrote:
navykev wrote:Got a question - so I am looking at my tuition bill and my scholarship isn't deducted from the tuition yet. Is this the norm - or are scholarships showing up as deducted from anyone else's tuition bill?

Same problem here


+1




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest