Georgetown Law Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

What section are you?

1 (Curriculum A)
23%
2 (Curriculum A)
19%
3 (Curriculum B)
11%
4 (Curriculum A)
28%
5 (Curriculum A)
17%
7 (PT Program)
2%

Total votes: 47

Hand

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby Hand » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:48 pm

tuxedocat wrote:
Dipper wrote:
gilessanderson wrote:
accessislife wrote:so is what's everyone reading before law school? any of the classic pre-law school books? reviews?

out of curiosity, what are the classic pre-law school books?

Getting to Maybe is the one I hear about the most. There are a couple of "summer before law school prep" guide things somewhere on TLS, but I've heard that doing nothing is TCR. There's a good chance you have to unlearn whatever you studied because professors have their own styles, etc.

Can we have a poll about what curriculum people are doing? I'm hoping for B/Section 3, but I'm a bleeding heart commie treehugger, if you couldn't tell already.

I want section 3 so bad. I don't really understand why EVERYONE doesn't want section 3, but I forget that not everyone is a nerd.

I think I've had my share of talking about what justice is. I used to be a nerd, now I just love AMERICA, and want to do the regular curriculum, and drive to school.

gilessanderson

Postby gilessanderson » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:52 pm

Dipper wrote:
gilessanderson wrote:
accessislife wrote:so is what's everyone reading before law school? any of the classic pre-law school books? reviews?

out of curiosity, what are the classic pre-law school books?

Getting to Maybe is the one I hear about the most. There are a couple of "summer before law school prep" guide things somewhere on TLS, but I've heard that doing nothing is TCR. There's a good chance you have to unlearn whatever you studied because professors have their own styles, etc.

Meh, i rather re-read a few favorites of mine seeing as how it's probably the last chance to do so. I'm thinking the Count of Monte Cristo.

gilessanderson

Postby gilessanderson » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:55 pm

Hand wrote:I think I've had my share of talking about what justice is. I used to be a nerd, now I just love AMERICA, and want to do the regular curriculum, and drive to school.

Mitch Rapp would do curriculum A

tuxedocat

Postby tuxedocat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:56 pm

Hand wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
Dipper wrote:

Can we have a poll about what curriculum people are doing? I'm hoping for B/Section 3, but I'm a bleeding heart commie treehugger, if you couldn't tell already.

I want section 3 so bad. I don't really understand why EVERYONE doesn't want section 3, but I forget that not everyone is a nerd.

I think I've had my share of talking about what justice is. I used to be a nerd, now I just love AMERICA, and want to do the regular curriculum, and drive to school.

I'm picturing a Hummer blasting Rush Limbaugh, confirm/deny?

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:57 pm

gilessanderson wrote:
Hand wrote:I think I've had my share of talking about what justice is. I used to be a nerd, now I just love AMERICA, and want to do the regular curriculum, and drive to school.

Mitch Rapp would do curriculum A

so true

accessislife

Postby accessislife » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:57 pm

Getting to Maybe, Law School Confidential and 1L of a Ride are all books I've heard can be helpful - they can also just make us all more neurotic. Ha.

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:58 pm

Dipper asks for a poll and then doesn't vote... tsk tsk.

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:58 pm

tuxedocat wrote:I'm picturing a Hummer blasting Rush Limbaugh, confirm/deny?

that's what I'm aspiring to; presently still stuck driving a prius and listening to NPR

Gray

Postby Gray » Wed Apr 08, 2015 2:59 pm

Hand wrote:driving a prius and listening to NPR

Sounds like curriculum B to me

tuxedocat

Postby tuxedocat » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:00 pm

Hand wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:I'm picturing a Hummer blasting Rush Limbaugh, confirm/deny?

that's what I'm aspiring to; presently still stuck driving a prius and listening to NPR

Hey, I have a Prius too! Let's both sell our Priuses and go in on a Caterpillar together, and you can scoop me up on your way to school.

arewevoting

Postby arewevoting » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:10 pm

if GULC can't match my other offer (lower T14), what do I do guys? Really felt at home on ASW.

Dipper

Postby Dipper » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:13 pm

accessislife wrote:Getting to Maybe, Law School Confidential and 1L of a Ride are all books I've heard can be helpful - they can also just make us all more neurotic. Ha.

1L of a Ride I may read just because I freaking love puns.

Gray wrote:Dipper asks for a poll and then doesn't vote... tsk tsk.

I was out hugging a tree!

Also, Hand, I'm pretty sure it's spelled 'MURICA.

motoman92

Postby motoman92 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:32 pm

Finally made a decision. Heading to DC in the fall! Looking forward to meeting all of you.

Hand

Postby Hand » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:35 pm

Gray wrote:
Hand wrote:driving a prius and listening to NPR

Sounds like curriculum B to me

Yeah but I hope doing curriculum A will fix that for me y'know

tuxedocat wrote:Hey, I have a Prius too! Let's both sell our Priuses and go in on a Caterpillar together, and you can scoop me up on your way to school.

If it's getting sold, it'll be only so that I can finance dat hummer

Dipper wrote:Hand, I'm pretty sure it's spelled 'MURICA.

Sorry, my bad. I haven't been here that long, still got a lot to learn about the country I love.

accessislife

Postby accessislife » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:46 pm

NPR?? CSPAN is where its at.

kray

Postby kray » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:47 pm

Can anyone opting for Curriculum B justify their reasoning? I jusssttt caaannnnn't deciiiiiide

Dipper

Postby Dipper » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:03 pm

kray wrote:Can anyone opting for Curriculum B justify their reasoning? I jusssttt caaannnnn't deciiiiiide

From what I understand, A is your standard law school curriculum, while B's interdisciplinary approach involves more critical thinking about how the law functions within larger political/economic/social constructs. You study the same black letter law and the same cases, and I've heard that one is not more or less competitive/intense than the other, but it offers a different perspective. B maybe has more reading, though.

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:10 pm

Curriculum B has more reading and looks not just at what the law is, but 'why' it is and encourages more critical thinking.

As a non-curriculum B student, it is annoying that they let this lot intermingle with the rest of us. It's all well and good for 1L, but there's always 'that guy' who argues with the prof why such and such a rule doesn't make sense or shouldn't exist.

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:13 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheSpanishMain

Postby TheSpanishMain » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:13 pm

arewevoting wrote:if GULC can't match my other offer (lower T14), what do I do guys? Really felt at home on ASW.

Goals?

Also, Curriculum B seems to attract a lot of "alternative" types with incredibly niche/unicorn interests. Make of that what you will.

accessislife

Postby accessislife » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:16 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
zacharus85 wrote:Curriculum B has more reading and looks not just at what the law is, but 'why' it is and encourages more critical thinking.

As a non-curriculum B student, it is annoying that they let this lot intermingle with the rest of us. It's all well and good for 1L, but there's always 'that guy' who argues with the prof why such and such a rule doesn't make sense or shouldn't exist.

Makes it sound pretty gunnerish. Alternatively, I heard that more PI focused people do curriculum B which leads me to believe it would be less gunnerish.

I thought since PI had less jobs it was more gunnerish - thats what I got from the alum panel at the Jan ASW. Maybe they just meant prestigious PI

accessislife

Postby accessislife » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:17 pm

TheSpanishMain wrote:
arewevoting wrote:if GULC can't match my other offer (lower T14), what do I do guys? Really felt at home on ASW.

Goals?

Also, Curriculum B seems to attract a lot of "alternative" types with incredibly niche/unicorn interests. Make of that what you will.

I actually asked for the employment statistics for B but they didn't have this disaggregated data. :(

Capitol_Idea

Postby Capitol_Idea » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:21 pm

Yeah - not gunnerish/competitive, just 'alternative.' You get more street-smart, shut-up-and-get-your-nose-to-the-grindstone types in A. Most B's are very nice and aren't any more or less competent than the normals, but you always get 'that guy' who argue policy in like White Collar or some shit for no good reason.

Seriously, whoever that curriculum B dildo was in my White Collar class, I hope he permanently loses his voice.

Dipper

Postby Dipper » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:37 pm

accessislife wrote:
buckiguy_sucks wrote:
zacharus85 wrote:Curriculum B has more reading and looks not just at what the law is, but 'why' it is and encourages more critical thinking.

Makes it sound pretty gunnerish. Alternatively, I heard that more PI focused people do curriculum B which leads me to believe it would be less gunnerish.

I thought since PI had less jobs it was more gunnerish - thats what I got from the alum panel at the Jan ASW. Maybe they just meant prestigious PI

I think you get a mix of gunners and normal folk. I also thought PI people need to hustle way more, too, because of (unicorn?) job scarcity, but I've heard that people who wash out of OCI go into PI as a back up, and that unless you're looking at DOJ Honors or something, public interest employers tend to look more at work experience and demonstrated interest in that kind of work than grades.

BmoreOrLess

Postby BmoreOrLess » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:51 pm

Advise on pre-law books: Definitely don't read anything substantive. One of my 1L professors (Spann) was extremely particular on how he wants things worded/analyzed and definitely dings people for getting off his track.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”