Georgetown Law Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

What section are you?

1 (Curriculum A)
23%
2 (Curriculum A)
19%
3 (Curriculum B)
11%
4 (Curriculum A)
28%
5 (Curriculum A)
17%
7 (PT Program)
2%

Total votes: 47

betty_bojangles

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby betty_bojangles » Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:36 pm

Got my merit award! I was in the early April group. PM for details.

commandercup

Postby commandercup » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:13 pm

betty_bojangles wrote:Got my merit award! I was in the early April group. PM for details.

So jealous. Although I guess that's good news for the rest of us early April folks.

Jessicakes90

Postby Jessicakes90 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:26 pm

navykev wrote:
Jessicakes90 wrote:So, apparently we have access to both the Law Center gym and the undergrad campus gym. Has anyone seen either of these?

Worked out at the law center gym during the first ASW- state of the art facility. I went at about 7pm and there wasn't a soul in there.

Yesss so glad to hear it! Thanks navykev!

GULCPerson

Postby GULCPerson » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:58 pm

Jessicakes90 wrote:So, apparently we have access to both the Law Center gym and the undergrad campus gym. Has anyone seen either of these?

You're aware that the undergrad gym is about 4 miles away? I guess if you wanted to use the tennis courts or run on the track or something it's cool though.

The law center gym is newer and rarely full, but the undergrad gym is much larger

JamaicanSaiyan8

Postby JamaicanSaiyan8 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:07 pm

Hand wrote:
JamaicanSaiyan8 wrote:does a person have to withdraw from all other schools if they sign/accept the scholarship?

no, only if you sign the accompanying tuition deposit waiver form

Thanks! I was a bit nervous because I hadn't received a response in regards to my negotiations as yet

Jessicakes90

Postby Jessicakes90 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:44 pm

GULCPerson wrote:

You're aware that the undergrad gym is about 4 miles away? I guess if you wanted to use the tennis courts or run on the track or something it's cool though.

The law center gym is newer and rarely full, but the undergrad gym is much larger

Yeah, I'm familiar with Georgetown's undergraduate campus and location. I imagine if you live somewhere like Arlington, it's nice to know you could also use the undergrad gym if you so choose. Glad to know the law center gym is so nice though!

BmoreOrLess

Postby BmoreOrLess » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:24 am

Almost 100% sure we can't use the main-campus gym. I think the only stuff we can use there is the library; our ID's definitely don't get us in to normal buildings.

hearsay77

Postby hearsay77 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:51 am

commandercup wrote:
betty_bojangles wrote:Got my merit award! I was in the early April group. PM for details.

So jealous. Although I guess that's good news for the rest of us early April folks.

Congrats @ betty

I was in the late march group and no word yet :(

navykev

Postby navykev » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:00 am

Tread lightly with any optimistic take, TLS is full of perspective lawyers and junior associates that want to convince everyone that being a lawyer is a terrible idea - while at the same time - working in or pursuing a career in the legal profession themselves. :)

***Disclaimer: This comment was made in jest - I am fully aware of debt, opportunity cost and employment number arguments and considerations!

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:05 am

hearsay77 wrote:
commandercup wrote:

Congrats @ betty

+1

I wonder if they were waiting for people to withdraw? Maybe they were shorter on funds than they had hoped to be in late March wanted to see how much they COULD offer.

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:06 am

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:11 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
CaptainJapan wrote:Good article on deal book today about going to law school--bonus points for the Georgetown shoutout

Better Call Saul now this? Lay preftige up by another 10 points guys

I loved that shout-out at ASW.

navykev

Postby navykev » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:11 am

Gray wrote:+1

I wonder if they were waiting for people to withdraw? Maybe they were shorter on funds than they had hoped to be in late March wanted to see how much they COULD offer.

I was going through the two previous year's threads last night to find information about apartment buildings near the school --and noticed a lot of post around mid April through mid June about aid packages. That would lead me to believe, that lots of new money will appear as folks withdraw and GULC tries to round out their class size and demographics.
Last edited by navykev on Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:28 am, edited 4 times in total.

navykev

Postby navykev » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:12 am

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
CaptainJapan wrote:Good article on deal book today about going to law school--bonus points for the Georgetown shoutout

Better Call Saul now this? Lay preftige up by another 10 points guys

Especially since it was a Berk-Prof in the NY Times - that's not lay prestige - that's legit prestige. He must be gunning for some kind of fellowship at GULC!

betty_bojangles

Postby betty_bojangles » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:14 am

Gray wrote:
hearsay77 wrote:
commandercup wrote:

Congrats @ betty

+1

Thanks all! I thought that there must have been a wave because me and a friend of mine both received our awards at around 730ish last night. I figured they must have received a bunch of withdrawals because of the April 1st deadline and then started to send out more offers.

Edit: My friend also didn't solicit at all or get any feeler emails so I guess that's not necessary..
Last edited by betty_bojangles on Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

mekepo

Postby mekepo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:25 am

Can someone explain to me what the scholarship 'groups' are?

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:27 am

mekepo wrote:Can someone explain to me what the scholarship 'groups' are?

I think people are referring to when they received the feeler email and what it said in the "response received" confirmation.

Dear Gray,

Thank you for your response. We appreciate your letting us know that you'd like to be considered for merit funding at Georgetown and your response has been included in your file. The Scholarship Committee will be back in touch with you with more information by late March.

Thank you,

Scholarship Committee
Office of Admissions
Georgetown Law

accessislife

Postby accessislife » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:35 am

betty_bojangles wrote:

Thanks all! I thought that there must have been a wave because me and a friend of mine both received our awards at around 730ish last night. I figured they must have received a bunch of withdrawals because of the April 1st deadline and then started to send out more offers.

Edit: My friend also didn't solicit at all or get any feeler emails so I guess that's not necessary..

betty, are you joining us at GULC?

betty_bojangles

Postby betty_bojangles » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:39 am

accessislife wrote:
betty_bojangles wrote:

I'm not sure yet! I am considering Cornell and GULC right now. I've got a higher offer at Cornell and want to send that in to GULC to see how they negotiate, but I should probably wait more than 24 hours to ask for more money lol. DC is much more tempting than Ithaca, but we'll see how the money plays out.

accessislife

Postby accessislife » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:00 pm

betty_bojangles wrote:
accessislife wrote:
betty_bojangles wrote:

I'm not sure yet! I am considering Cornell and GULC right now. I've got a higher offer at Cornell and want to send that in to GULC to see how they negotiate, but I should probably wait more than 24 hours to ask for more money lol. DC is much more tempting than Ithaca, but we'll see how the money plays out.

wishing you the best negotiating!

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:03 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:05 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:Dear Georgetown Admissions,
If you're reading this, and you have figured out who I am, if you give me the amount of money I asked for in the email I will deposit and enroll today.
Love,
buckiguy_sucks
Gray

ETA they probably won't though.

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:07 pm

Post removed.

Gray

Postby Gray » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:08 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:
Gray wrote:ETA they probably won't though.

I wonder if they read this site? I know some other admissions people do like the Wake Forest Dean actually posts sometimes.

I meant that I'm pretty sure I asked for more than what they'll give me. But hey, I'm open to surprises!

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”