Georgetown Law Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

What section are you?

1 (Curriculum A)
11
23%
2 (Curriculum A)
9
19%
3 (Curriculum B)
5
11%
4 (Curriculum A)
13
28%
5 (Curriculum A)
8
17%
7 (PT Program)
1
2%
 
Total votes: 47

tecumseh115
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:31 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby tecumseh115 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:03 pm

Dipper wrote:
tecumseh115 wrote:Is anyone else confused by their award notice? This myaccess system is quite clunky. From what I can tell GULC is offering me no merit aid, which is honestly quite surprising considering the large awards I received Duke, Northwestern, and Michigan.


Unless you've rec'd separate notification of merit aid, MyAccess only lists the need-based aid you have qualified for. You also need to solicit scholarship consideration if you haven't already.


ahhh, GULC seems to love making the aid process difficult. So we aren't automatically considered for merit-based aid like at every other t-14 (or at least the ones I applied to)? How does one go about soliciting scholarship consideration?

User avatar
JamesMcGillEsquire
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:55 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby JamesMcGillEsquire » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:13 pm

This question got a lost a few pages back so I just wanted to bring this up again because the deadline is only 2 days away. Can we negotiate after sending our intent to enroll forms on April 1st? If so, would we need to use a new or updated offer (meaning a scholly offer that we received after April 1st)?

User avatar
Dipper
Posts: 428
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:00 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby Dipper » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:16 pm

JamesMcGillEsquire wrote:This question got a lost a few pages back so I just wanted to bring this up again because the deadline is only 2 days away. Can we negotiate after sending our intent to enroll forms on April 1st? If so, would we need to use a new or updated offer (meaning a scholly offer that we received after April 1st)?


Yes you can negotiate after.

Second question is harder. If you've already asked them to reconsider and they said no, I doubt they'll change their decision unless you have something new to show. If this is your first time showing them the offer and it just happens to be dated before April 1, I don't see why that wouldn't be compelling if it's a good offer.

User avatar
Hedgehogday
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:41 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby Hedgehogday » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:32 pm

tecumseh115 wrote:ahhh, GULC seems to love making the aid process difficult. So we aren't automatically considered for merit-based aid like at every other t-14 (or at least the ones I applied to)? How does one go about soliciting scholarship consideration?


In my case, I wasn't offered any scholarship when I got admitted. I reached out to the admissions office with a copy of an offer from a competing school. I was told that they will be conducting a second round of considerations for grants. I just received an email today stating my financial package is ready, and I logged in to find that I was awarded the Dean Tuition Grant, matching the amount of the competing scholarship.

User avatar
accessislife
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:40 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby accessislife » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:17 am

Fingers crossed that merit awards are released today for the "late March" crew

User avatar
franny90
Posts: 57
Joined: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:59 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby franny90 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:19 am

accessislife wrote:Fingers crossed that merit awards are released today for the "late March" crew


+1000

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5986
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby Gray » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:24 am

franny90 wrote:
accessislife wrote:Fingers crossed that merit awards are released today for the "late March" crew

+1000

User avatar
tuxedocat
Posts: 863
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby tuxedocat » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:49 am

Dipper wrote:
Hedgehogday wrote:Hi all,
For those not living close to DC, how are you doing your apartment searches?


I'm planning to fly back for a few days in early July and hope to nail down a place then.


Yay!!!!! You are gonna be such a PILS superstar.

I'm going to move in July so planning to go beginning of June to look around. Doing some practice rounds of trolling Craigslist until then.

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5986
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby Gray » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:00 am

I should be all moved-in before July 1 so after that date I'd A) I'd be happy to go take a look at places near the school for people and B) would love hang out with any of you that will already be there.

User avatar
accessislife
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:40 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby accessislife » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:21 am

the waiting for schollys is killing me slowly..

User avatar
tuxedocat
Posts: 863
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby tuxedocat » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:33 am

accessislife wrote:the waiting for schollys is killing me slowly..


Well if you're dead they don't have to give you $$$. Good strategy on their part.

User avatar
accessislife
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:40 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby accessislife » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:47 am

tuxedocat wrote:
accessislife wrote:the waiting for schollys is killing me slowly..


Well if you're dead they don't have to give you $$$. Good strategy on their part.


LOL morbid

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5986
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby Gray » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:30 pm

So has anyone gone to the Federal Shopping Sheet thing to see their Need Aid breakdown? The estimate for Family Contribution on mine is nearly 5 times the estimate I got when I finished FAFSA. I assume the difference is from parental info, but mine aren't exactly rolling in dough. Anyone else have a weird discrepancy?

User avatar
tk17
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:33 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby tk17 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:33 pm

Gray wrote:So has anyone gone to the Federal Shopping Sheet thing to see their Need Aid breakdown? The estimate for Family Contribution on mine is nearly 5 times the estimate I got when I finished FAFSA. I assume the difference is from parental info, but mine aren't exactly rolling in dough. Anyone else have a weird discrepancy?


I think that is just how law schools tell you to take out loans. When I got my financial aid info from Penn, they told me (and several other TLSers were in the same boat) my expected family contribution was all of COA minus stafford loans.

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5986
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby Gray » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:36 pm

tk17 wrote:
Gray wrote:So has anyone gone to the Federal Shopping Sheet thing to see their Need Aid breakdown? The estimate for Family Contribution on mine is nearly 5 times the estimate I got when I finished FAFSA. I assume the difference is from parental info, but mine aren't exactly rolling in dough. Anyone else have a weird discrepancy?


I think that is just how law schools tell you to take out loans. When I got my financial aid info from Penn, they told me (and several other TLSers were in the same boat) my expected family contribution was all of COA minus stafford loans.

Ah ok. I just assumed it was supposed to be similar to the FAFSA estimate. Oh well I did email them already, so hopefully they'll explain it to me!

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5986
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby Gray » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:29 pm

Also looks like "late March" is almost over... :(

User avatar
tuxedocat
Posts: 863
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby tuxedocat » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:39 pm

Gray wrote:
tk17 wrote:
Gray wrote:So has anyone gone to the Federal Shopping Sheet thing to see their Need Aid breakdown? The estimate for Family Contribution on mine is nearly 5 times the estimate I got when I finished FAFSA. I assume the difference is from parental info, but mine aren't exactly rolling in dough. Anyone else have a weird discrepancy?


I think that is just how law schools tell you to take out loans. When I got my financial aid info from Penn, they told me (and several other TLSers were in the same boat) my expected family contribution was all of COA minus stafford loans.

Ah ok. I just assumed it was supposed to be similar to the FAFSA estimate. Oh well I did email them already, so hopefully they'll explain it to me!


I saw on another thread that the FAFSA EFC is basically totally irrelevant because there's no parental information. So pointless.

User avatar
tk17
Posts: 353
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:33 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby tk17 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:47 pm

tuxedocat wrote: the FAFSA EFC should be is basically totally irrelevant because there's no parental information parents don't pay for their 30 year old to go back to school. So pointless it's perfect.


Ahh.... if only the world worked the way I wanted it to....

supersplittysplitter
Posts: 259
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:55 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby supersplittysplitter » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:56 pm

If we want to decrease our grad plus loans, does anybody know how/ when we can do that? Also when do our loans get disbursed? If the first tuition payment is due in July it would have to be before then right?

User avatar
tuxedocat
Posts: 863
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby tuxedocat » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:07 pm

tk17 wrote:
tuxedocat wrote: the FAFSA EFC should be is basically totally irrelevant because there's no parental information parents don't pay for their 30 year old to go back to school. So pointless it's perfect.


Ahh.... if only the world worked the way I wanted it to....


I don't know, they talked about the parental information requirement in the financial aid session and it made more sense to me after hearing them explain it. The guy said it's more just a way to gauge background, since they don't have information like where you went to high school. Like they could look at two people both graduating from Harvard this year and not know if one was 100% paid by parents and the other 100% paid by grants--you'd want the need-based aid to go to the latter person, right? But it would be hard to judge that without parental information.

On the other hand, Northwestern doesn't require parental information from anyone, so clearly not all schools feel the same way. I like the way UC Davis does it, they require it unless you're 30+ or married. Seems more reasonable.

User avatar
tuxedocat
Posts: 863
Joined: Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby tuxedocat » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:08 pm

supersplittysplitter wrote:If we want to decrease our grad plus loans, does anybody know how/ when we can do that? Also when do our loans get disbursed? If the first tuition payment is due in July it would have to be before then right?


You have to talk to the financial aid office to decrease the loan amount. I think they said you have 90-120 days to give money back. They said loans aren't disbursed until about the second week of the semester, so they just put a credit on your account in July since they know the loans are coming. The grad plus application doesn't open until late May.

User avatar
accessislife
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:40 am

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby accessislife » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:58 pm

got my scholly response! anyone else?

User avatar
commandercup
Posts: 132
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:58 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby commandercup » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:40 pm

accessislife wrote:got my scholly response! anyone else?


How much!?

User avatar
Gray
Posts: 5986
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:02 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby Gray » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:59 pm

accessislife wrote:got my scholly response! anyone else?

nerrrp nothing yet.

User avatar
antiworldly
Posts: 375
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:18 pm

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby antiworldly » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:06 pm

Gray wrote:
accessislife wrote:got my scholly response! anyone else?

nerrrp nothing yet.


Still quiet here. . .




Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest