Georgetown Law Class of 2018

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2018)

What section are you?

1 (Curriculum A)
23%
2 (Curriculum A)
19%
3 (Curriculum B)
11%
4 (Curriculum A)
28%
5 (Curriculum A)
17%
7 (PT Program)
2%

Total votes: 47

Gray

Re: Georgetown Law Class of 2018

Postby Gray » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:32 am

Merit scholly info should be out soon... No one from the March 6th consideration wave has heard anything yet, right?

accessislife

Postby accessislife » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:35 am

Gray wrote:Merit scholly info should be out soon... No one from the March 6th consideration wave has heard anything yet, right?

Gray did you hear this from adcom?

ETA: nothing here, response said "late March"

franny90

Postby franny90 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:42 am

accessislife wrote:
Gray wrote:Merit scholly info should be out soon... No one from the March 6th consideration wave has heard anything yet, right?

Gray did you hear this from adcom?

ETA: nothing here, response said "late March"

+1... haven't heard anything and getting antsy as other deposit deadlines loom

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:43 am

accessislife wrote:Gray did you hear this from adcom?

No just the response email... just because it's very late March at this point.

betty_bojangles

Postby betty_bojangles » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:48 am

I'm one of the "you will hear by early April" people. Haven't heard anything yet, except the finaid email that leads you to the MyAccess website. So we've decided that the Deans Tuition Grant is need aid right? Does anyone know if merit aid would be on top of this or if they give you the higher of the two or something? (I know some schools do this).

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:06 pm

betty_bojangles wrote:

I'm one of the "you will hear by early April" people. Haven't heard anything yet, except the finaid email that leads you to the MyAccess website. So we've decided that the Deans Tuition Grant is need aid right? Does anyone know if merit aid would be on top of this or if they give you the higher of the two or something? (I know some schools do this).

Oh it's a bit of a weird system - the amounts are decided independently, but your total amount won't exceed the need based amount. Need based is just a straight calculation, and you get whatever amount you qualify for. Merit is obviously more arbitrary, but unles your need aid exceeds merit aid, you'll get the exact total that admissions decided to offer you.

For example, if admissions decides to give you a $30K per year merit scholarship, and you qualify for a 10K per year in need based aid, the total is still 30K, but only 20K of it will come out of the merit aid pool. On the other hand, if you get 20K in need aid, and 10K per year as a merit scholarship, you get 20K total, in need-based only - that is, the 10K stays in the merit $$ pool.

tuxedocat

Postby tuxedocat » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:06 pm

Gray wrote:
betty_bojangles wrote:

Oh it's a bit of a weird system - the amounts are decided independently, but your total amount won't exceed the need based amount. Need based is just a straight calculation, and you get whatever amount you qualify for. Merit is obviously more arbitrary, but unles your need aid exceeds merit aid, you'll get the exact total that admissions decided to offer you.

For example, if admissions decides to give you a $30K per year merit scholarship, and you qualify for a 10K per year in need based aid, the total is still 30K, but only 20K of it will come out of the merit aid pool. On the other hand, if you get 20K in need aid, and 10K per year as a merit scholarship, you get 20K total, in need-based only - that is, the 10K stays in the merit $$ pool.

Ahh, thanks for posting this--I was totally confused when they mentioned this in the financial aid session. The way you explained it makes way more sense.

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:12 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:21 pm

buckiguy_sucks wrote:+1 This whole double depositing business is expensive stuff

Yes. Where do people get the money to do this? Like I have a decent job and I'm barely able to do it.

betty_bojangles

Postby betty_bojangles » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:28 pm

Gray wrote:
betty_bojangles wrote:

Okay good to know. Thank you Gray! Very helpful.

gilessanderson

Postby gilessanderson » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:44 pm

Is anyone depositing to hold onto their scholarship at GW until they see what they get from GULC or for negotiation reasons? Debating whether or not I want to spend $500 for a chance of increased $

buckiguy_sucks

Post removed.

Postby buckiguy_sucks » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:45 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by buckiguy_sucks on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

betty_bojangles

Postby betty_bojangles » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:47 pm

gilessanderson wrote:Is anyone depositing to hold onto their scholarship at GW until they see what they get from GULC or for negotiation reasons? Debating whether or not I want to spend $500 for a chance of increased $

I was informed that they will consider you for an increased merit award even if you don't deposit, but you have to deposit to hold on to your current award. Whatever that means. No way I can go given my current award, so I'm just not going to deposit.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:00 pm

gilessanderson wrote:Is anyone depositing to hold onto their scholarship at GW until they see what they get from GULC or for negotiation reasons? Debating whether or not I want to spend $500 for a chance of increased $

yes. I figure no matter what GULC offers, It's still worth a shot to use that offer negotiate with GW for a higher scholly, and take that back to GULC.

Comma.Split

Postby Comma.Split » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:16 pm

Hey, guys. I am sorry for a totally stupid question. I submitted my yellow form a month and a half ago, but haven't heard anything. Is that normal or should I just assume $0? Thanks!

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:18 pm

Comma.Split wrote:Hey, guys. I am sorry for a totally stupid question. I submitted my yellow form a month and a half ago, but haven't heard anything. Is that normal or should I just assume $0? Thanks!

You should email financial aid and see what's up. They should still send you the evaluation complete email even if you get nothing, and if you submitted mid feb, you should have heard something by now. I assume you did submit FAFSA and NeedAccess as well?

You can also check https://myaccess.georgetown.edu/ and see if you have the Financial Aid tab.

Comma.Split

Postby Comma.Split » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:28 pm

Gray wrote:
Comma.Split wrote:Hey, guys. I am sorry for a totally stupid question. I submitted my yellow form a month and a half ago, but haven't heard anything. Is that normal or should I just assume $0? Thanks!

You should email financial aid and see what's up. They should still send you the evaluation complete email even if you get nothing, and if you submitted mid feb, you should have heard something by now. I assume you did submit FAFSA and NeedAccess as well?

You can also check https://myaccess.georgetown.edu/ and see if you have the Financial Aid tab.

I have the tab, but it says no information available. I guess I will e-mail them. FAFSA and Need submitted in January.

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:51 pm

Comma.Split wrote:I have the tab, but it says no information available. I guess I will e-mail them. FAFSA and Need submitted in January.

Yeah definitely email them! There's really no harm in asking.

supersplittysplitter

Postby supersplittysplitter » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:36 pm

Gray wrote:

yes. I figure no matter what GULC offers, It's still worth a shot to use that offer negotiate with GW for a higher scholly, and take that back to GULC.

Is GULC gonna give any consideration to a GW offer?

JamesMcGillEsquire

Postby JamesMcGillEsquire » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:47 pm

Is there a deadline for when we need to send tax information?
Last edited by JamesMcGillEsquire on Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gilessanderson

Postby gilessanderson » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:50 pm

Gray wrote:

Ok thanks Gray. So then i guess it goes without saying that double depositing at this point is all good?

Gray

Postby Gray » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:49 pm

supersplittysplitter wrote:
Gray wrote:

They have before - but "consideration" might been an extra 5 grand for every 20 you get from GWU (arbitrary numbers). Still worth the double deposit, IMO.

WeeBey

Postby WeeBey » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:55 pm

supersplittysplitter wrote:
Gray wrote:

Depends on how much GW is offering. If its 60k from GULC and 90k from GW, I doubt it. But 0 from GULC and 90k from GW then I think theyll offer you something.

tecumseh115

Postby tecumseh115 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:47 pm

Is anyone else confused by their award notice? This myaccess system is quite clunky. From what I can tell GULC is offering me no merit aid, which is honestly quite surprising considering the large awards I received Duke, Northwestern, and Michigan.

Dipper

Postby Dipper » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:56 pm

tecumseh115 wrote:Is anyone else confused by their award notice? This myaccess system is quite clunky. From what I can tell GULC is offering me no merit aid, which is honestly quite surprising considering the large awards I received Duke, Northwestern, and Michigan.

Unless you've rec'd separate notification of merit aid, MyAccess only lists the need-based aid you have qualified for. You also need to solicit scholarship consideration if you haven't already.

Return to “TLS Class of 2018 Forum”